PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Fan wins £250k - Crossbar Challenge in his socks

Delboy4
18-11-2009, 04:22 PM
What about this, imagine going to a game and coming away with 1/4 of a Million:thumbsup:

Hitting the bar from 30 yards - in his socks :wink: :top marks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ep7bxyErw

Hibercelona
18-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I could do with some of that. :agree:

Where do I sign up? :greengrin

RoslinInstHibby
18-11-2009, 04:41 PM
would make going to a rugby game almost bearable.......:greengrin

Dr Jimmy
18-11-2009, 05:28 PM

apparently some tw@ts are complaining because he didn't "technically" driop kick the ball, which was what the rules stated, but the sponsors are paying him anyway.........some people eh!! :grr:

Leithenhibby
18-11-2009, 06:02 PM
apparently some tw@ts are complaining because he didn't "technically" driop kick the ball, which was what the rules stated, but the sponsors are paying him anyway.........some people eh!! :grr:

My money is on louis walsh, and his wee rule book...:greengrin

speedy_gonzales
18-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I've always fancied something like this for the Happy Hibby half time draw.
Rather than a winner being drawn from the bucket, a drawn ticket entitles the bearer to a crossbar challenge, hit the crossbar from the half way line, win the jackpot, no win, then it's a rollover to the next week. Think of how many home games we have per year, the average payout for the happy hibby, I reckon this could grow to a tasty wee payout!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-11-2009, 07:39 PM
He will need to get used to all those air-head dolly-birds suddenly hugging him, when before the game they would not have looked at him twice.:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2009, 07:49 PM
There were some fine sights amongst those ladies tho!

Danderhall Hibs
18-11-2009, 09:00 PM

I wouldn't call them tw@ts TBH. If he was to drop kick it then he should've drop-kicked it - it's easier to do it the way he done it.

It'd be like someone hitting the post in a crossbar challenge and claiming it counts!

LamontHFC©
18-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't call them tw@ts TBH. If he was to drop kick it then he should've drop-kicked it - it's easier to do it the way he done it.

It'd be like someone hitting the post in a crossbar challenge and claiming it counts!

:asshole:

Danderhall Hibs
18-11-2009, 09:11 PM
:asshole:

I wouldn't say he's an arse - all he done is cheat and get away with it.

ancient hibee
18-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Bet the insurance company is delighted.

TornadoHibby
19-11-2009, 03:43 PM

:faf: :faf: :faf:

How's that then?

I used to play stand off or fly half in my younger days (and I mean up to age 18!) so have some knowledge and experience about this matter! :wink: :greengrin

TornadoHibby
19-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Bet the insurance company is delighted.

They must have agreed to the change of "qualifying terms" (i.e. not only drop kicks but kicks from hand also qualified) otherwise he would not have been paid! :agree:

Suspect it was never only drop kicks that qualified after all! :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
19-11-2009, 03:50 PM

How's that then?

I used to play stand off or fly half in my younger days (and I mean up to age 18!) so have some knowledge and experience about this matter! :wink: :greengrin

If we’re on about rugby qualifications - I played up to Scottish Premier 2 level for 10 years or so, with the odd game here and there for Edinburgh Rugby Development sides thrown in. I reckon that trumps your schoolboy stuff?

A punt from hand is easier than a drop goal. FACT. :wink:

Hibee87
19-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Rather than a winner being drawn from the bucket, a drawn ticket entitles the bearer to a crossbar challenge, hit the crossbar from the half way line, win the jackpot, no win, then it's a rollover to the next week. Think of how many home games we have per year, the average payout for the happy hibby, I reckon this could grow to a tasty wee payout!

Brilliant idea, get onto hibs about it :thumbsup:

TornadoHibby
19-11-2009, 05:01 PM
If we’re on about rugby qualifications - I played up to Scottish Premier 2 level for 10 years or so, with the odd game here and there for Edinburgh Rugby Development sides thrown in. I reckon that trumps your schoolboy stuff?

A punt from hand is easier than a drop goal. FACT. :wink:

Not done without pressure from an opponent I would necessarily suggest, assuming a decent skill level of the kicker, although I do bow graciously and embarrassingly ( :blushie:) to your vastly more admirable level of achievement in the egg chasing World, presumably as a fly half too!? :wink: :greengrin

:thumbsup:

RyeSloan
19-11-2009, 05:04 PM

How's that then?

Drop kicks are defo more technically difficult than a stright forward kick from hand.

Seems strange that you have played the game but seem to suggest otherwise as even a layman can understand that letting a rugby ball bounce (or at least hit the ground) before you kick it must be harder than just kicking it when in midair.

Hibercelona
19-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Thousands of people usually enter the half time draw.

And I could imagine almost everybody wanting to have a pop at this.

It's a great idea. But unfortunately it wont happen. Hibs would have a huge list of people wanting to do it, and they would probably see it as too much hassle.

Its unfortunate, because its a cracking idea and it would provide some great entertainment at half time.

Although... In saying that...

I love seeing the Hibs kids taking shots... Especially the wee midget (There's always one) :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
19-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Not done without pressure from an opponent I would necessarily suggest,

It's easier whether you're under pressure or not.

If drop-kick was the rules I'm surprised an insurance company has paid out - that's the perfect get-out clause for them!

nonshinyfinish
19-11-2009, 08:11 PM

£250k? Nah.

Bob1875
19-11-2009, 08:18 PM
If(big if) Hibs were to do it they certainly couldn't do it from the half way line as people would we wearing boots, shoe, high heels etc. Suppose they could give the contender a pair of boots. Or have a shot from the 18 yard line.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't say he's an arse - all he done is cheat and get away with it. I hope the dough gets into his account before The IFA demand the kick is retaken!

TornadoHibby
20-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Drop kicks are defo more technically difficult than a stright forward kick from hand.

Seems strange that you have played the game but seem to suggest otherwise as even a layman can understand that letting a rugby ball bounce (or at least hit the ground) before you kick it must be harder than just kicking it when in midair.

The ball gets kicked as it hits the ground and one develops a certain "skill" in dropping the ball correctly so that the kick is successful! :wink:

Ask Jonny Wilkinson, although I was never that good even in my own mind! :wink: :greengrin

Like I said earlier in the thread, if the guys been paid out, then drop kicks were not the only eligible means of getting the ball to the crossbar so it doesn't really matter if I think they are equally as difficult/easy to execute although you disagree! :agree: :wink: :greengrin

TornadoHibby
20-11-2009, 12:25 PM
It's easier whether you're under pressure or not.
If drop-kick was the rules I'm surprised an insurance company has paid out - that's the perfect get-out clause for them!

No its not! :wink:

Try each with no-one near you and then the same again with a couple of people rushing at you trying to spoil the kick! :agree: :cool2:

Huge difference as you should know if you were a fly half! :wink: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2009, 01:14 PM
No its not! :wink:

Try each with no-one near you and then the same again with a couple of people rushing at you trying to spoil the kick! :agree: :cool2:

Huge difference as you should know if you were a fly half! :wink: :greengrin

Makes me wonder why none of the kickers will attempt drop-goal clearances in tomorrow's internationals. :confused: Any ideas?

TornadoHibby
20-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Makes me wonder why none of the kickers will attempt drop-goal clearances in tomorrow's internationals. :confused: Any ideas?

Very simple as a guy with your considerable top level experience should know! :wink:

Distance achievable! :agree: :wink: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Very simple as a guy with your considerable top level experience should know! :wink:

Distance achievable! :agree: :wink: :greengrin

Unfortunately I fell short of the top level but I will say that noone clears a ball by drop-kicking it because it's easier to punt it!

FFS you don't even need to have played to work it out!

TornadoHibby
22-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately I fell short of the top level but I will say that noone clears a ball by drop-kicking it because it's easier to punt it!

FFS you don't even need to have played to work it out!

Been away for a couple of days so hadn't seen your reply! :wink:

The original issue was about whether it was more difficult to hit the crossbar with a kick from hand (not a punt! :wink:) or with a drop kick IIRC! An accuracy issue as I saw it!:agree:

Now we are talking about why defensive players kick from hand rather than drop kick! A distance issue and as fast and safely (usually) as possible! :confused:

I never claimed to have played at the top level like you did but I agree that these are matters that common sense could provide a reasonably accurate view on! :agree:

No need to change the subject though! :wink: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
22-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Been away for a couple of days so hadn't seen your reply! :wink:

The original issue was about whether it was more difficult to hit the crossbar with a kick from hand (not a punt! :wink:) or with a drop kick IIRC! An accuracy issue as I saw it!:agree:

Now we are talking about why defensive players kick from hand rather than drop kick! A distance issue and as fast and safely (usually) as possible! :confused:

I never claimed to have played at the top level like you did but I agree that these are matters that common sense could provide a reasonably accurate view on! :agree:
No need to change the subject though! :wink: :greengrin

You're having difficulty with reading as well as it seems. :rolleyes:

I've not changed the subject, just used the defensive position as an example. You could be in an attacking position, say you have a penalty and you want to kick to touch 5 yards from the line. Do you punt or go with the drop-kick?

I can't believe I'm still discussing this TBH.

CallumHibs07
22-11-2009, 08:42 PM
He's a bit of a fat barsteward!

And, he's not following the rules - :rules:

TornadoHibby
23-11-2009, 09:12 AM
You're having difficulty with reading as well as it seems. :rolleyes:

I've not changed the subject, just used the defensive position as an example. You could be in an attacking position, say you have a penalty and you want to kick to touch 5 yards from the line. Do you punt or go with the drop-kick?

I can't believe I'm still discussing this TBH.

Me neither but you're like a dog with a bone! :greengrin

I don't have difficulty reading but frankly have lost the will to live on this and cannot raise sufficient energy to take this a step further! :zzzzz!:

Mouths to be fed, bills to be paid etc.........................................! :agree:

Take it easy y'all! :wink: :greengrin

speedy_gonzales
23-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Thousands of people usually enter the half time draw.

And I could imagine almost everybody wanting to have a pop at this.

It's a great idea. But unfortunately it wont happen. Hibs would have a huge list of people wanting to do it, and they would probably see it as too much hassle.

Its unfortunate, because its a cracking idea and it would provide some great entertainment at half time.

Although... In saying that...

I love seeing the Hibs kids taking shots... Especially the wee midget (There's always one) :greengrin

Maybe I wasn't clear about my idea;
Initially we would have a regular Happy Hibby half time draw, first ticket=money, 2nd=shirt, 3rd=ball. A 4th ticket would be drawn, the owner of this ticket takes the first crossbar challenge at the next home game.
At the next home game, tickets are sold as usual, as we watch the first lucky candidate take his kick, a further draw is made, 1st out takes the next weeks kick, 2nd=shirt, 3rd=ball.
Basically, there will be 1 cross bar challenge per week, the kicker being the winner from the previous week.
Hit the cross bar - collect the pot o'cash, miss=rollover.

I might be a bit bias as I've been lucky to win the cash prize a few years back but I reckon most folk do it as a way of donating cash to hibs youth, not as a realistic way of making £800-£1500. Plus, think of the entertainment value!!