PDA

View Full Version : Cost of football

lucky
18-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I have always been of the belief that football in this country was far to expensive. However after the last month I have changed my mind. I have been to these 3 events in the last couple of weeks---

WWE at Braehead with my nephew at a cost of £50 per head

Hibs v Hearts £28

''We will rock you'' musical £35 a ticket x 3

So it appears compared with other family/days out that football is not as expensive as we all think. I know that football is more than a once a year event but based on ticket prices I don't think we are getting ripped off as much as we think.

ANDY McGEECHAN
18-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Lucky You.

Danderhall Hibs
18-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I have always been of the belief that football in this country was far to expensive. However after the last month I have changed my mind. I have been to these 3 events in the last couple of weeks---

Hibs v Hearts £28

So it appears compared with other family/days out that football is not as expensive as we all think. I know that football is more than a once a year event but based on ticket prices I don't think we are getting ripped off as much as we think.

Those things you were at were one off events though - you're not expected to pay to see it/them every week at that price.

I went to see Kasabain at the SECC - it was £25 a ticket and the 1 hours 45 minutes of entertainment was much more than £26 for the derby.

Football is too dear.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Recently I've paid £90 to see Andrea Bocelli at the SECC (Awesome), £28 to see the Proclaimers at the Usher Hall (enjoyable)and £30 to see Rain Man at the Kings (7/10.

My season ticket is still the best value. :wink:

Peevemor
18-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Recently I've paid £90 to see Andrea Bocelli at the SECC (Awesome), £28 to see the Proclaimers at the Usher Hall (enjoyable)and £30 to see Rain Man at the Kings (7/10.

Con tiiiiiiiiii partiro...:cool2: (Andrea smiley)

Hibby Bairn
18-11-2009, 03:59 PM
2 adults, 3 kids to the pictures last Tuesday night. £26.

No sign of Bobby Williamson. :wink:

Woody1985
18-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Hibs v Hearts £28

Would you pay £28/£50 to watch the wrestling everyweek or would it get boring?

Hibercelona
18-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I think the problem with football is the fact that you are always taking a risk on quality.

You could pay over 25 quid for a game that turns out to be totally dire.

I would gladly pay 40-50 quid a game if Hibs were always at their best. :agree:

lucky
18-11-2009, 05:16 PM

I stated in my OP that watching football is weekly but WWE and musicals are not but just on the ticket price football is not most expensive leisure activity out there

johnrebus
18-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Paid £1.50 ( One Pound and Fifty Pee ) to see Neil Young in Glasgow.

Mind you, it was in 1976.

:greengrin

greenlex
18-11-2009, 05:21 PM
2 adults, 3 kids to the pictures last Tuesday night. £26.

No sign of Bobby Williamson. :wink:
Were you entertained though? :wink:

monktonharp
18-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Paid £1.50 ( One Pound and Fifty Pee ) to see Neil Young in Glasgow.

Mind you, it was in 1976.

:greengrinyou got a heart of gold?:wink:

Jack
18-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Theatre maybe isn't a weekly event but for some who enjoy it, not me, it can be a very regular occurance so its not that dissimilar, same with concerts. Even to the extent of 'playing away' in other cities/countries!
Think too about the cost of going out for a meal or even just a night in the pub. £20-30 a head wouldn't be unreasonable.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2009, 10:07 PM
It was £40 for me to get into the Centre Court at Wimbledon this year and that allowed me to see Roger Federer (probably the greatest player of all time), Serena Williams (one of the greatest female players of all time) and Novak Djokovic (one of the best players at the moment).

That is a one off event, unlike SPL football which is about £25 for every single game, 38 times a season.

Football is extremely overpriced.

brightons hibby
19-11-2009, 01:54 AM
i pay $400 for seattle sounders season tickets. I was shocked when they ofered me U2 tickets in advanced.$280 For tickets that were in the 2nd level. THANK ****** That i seen them at murryfield 1987 for 6 times less.

NOLA
19-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Football is way overpriced for the entertainment on show, yet the price goes up every year (usually) i dont understand how countrys like bulgaria/ukraine even italy can sell tickets for 10-15 pounds/euros every week while we get shafted? is it because we as a nation don't complain?? my soon to be 5yo is itching to get to ER but i'm holding her back cos i don't think its right that i should have to pay upwards of 35 for 90 mins of footie! wouldn't have a problem when i was younger but times change! tight arse maybe, but i know plenty parents who feel the same, i know the club are trying to address the fact but unless the league steps in attentances will continue to fall! motherwell/stmirren/hamilton/falkirk/hertz/Hibs

Steve-O
19-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I stated in my OP that watching football is weekly but WWE and musicals are not but just on the ticket price football is not most expensive leisure activity out there

But the other things you state are guaranteed to be entertaining. Many football matches are utter pish - no refunds!

PeeKay
19-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Interesting bit from Pat Nevin on Sportsound last night. He said that when he was at Motherwell they reduced ticket prices, were sitting third in the league and still attendances fell. I think that Killie found the same when they tried to boost their crowds by reducing prices.

So, while football may be overpriced there does not seem to be much incentive for the clubs to do anything about it.

Steve-O
19-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Interesting bit from Pat Nevin on Sportsound last night. He said that when he was at Motherwell they reduced ticket prices, were sitting third in the league and still attendances fell. I think that Killie found the same when they tried to boost their crowds by reducing prices.

So, while football may be overpriced there does not seem to be much incentive for the clubs to do anything about it.

I don't think this thread is about boosting crowd numbers though, most people that go anyway still think they are paying too much. However, most would rather pay than not go, hence we continue to be ripped off.

Woody1985
19-11-2009, 09:23 AM

I know, I read it. I was asking if you would pay for those tickets every week. I think you can go to the wrestling every week in the states so I was asking if you would pay the same price to watch it every week.

Would you buy a season ticket for wrestling at the same price as a Hibs ST? It would help guage whether you think that a football season ticket is better value than a hypothetical wrestling one.

PeeKay
19-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't think this thread is about boosting crowd numbers though, most people that go anyway still think they are paying too much. However, most would rather pay than not go, hence we continue to be ripped off.

I thought the thread was about football being overpriced, to which the only answer would be for clubs to reduce prices, no? But where this has been tried it resulted in lower crowds and so a double-whammy of reduced income. As I said, this gives no incentive for clubs to reduce prices. That, together with the caputured audience issue that you raise, means that prices are unlikely to come down.

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I think the problem with football is the fact that you are always taking a risk on quality.

You could pay over 25 quid for a game that turns out to be totally dire.

I would gladly pay 40-50 quid a game if Hibs were always at their best. :agree:

:agree:To compare football to going to see a show is not possible. It would be different if you went to the show and the actors were constantly fighting the stage hands about scenery changes.

Most events have a guarantee of what you are going to see. One of the things that puts me off going to a game is how I am going to justify the admission price to myself if it pans out into a complete farce.

Football is far too dear. The only justification I can see for the need for more money is that nowadays clubs employ many more backroom staff, and fees have to be found for agents as well as transfers.

Steve-O
20-11-2009, 07:32 AM
I thought the thread was about football being overpriced, to which the only answer would be for clubs to reduce prices, no? But where this has been tried it resulted in lower crowds and so a double-whammy of reduced income. As I said, this gives no incentive for clubs to reduce prices. That, together with the caputured audience issue that you raise, means that prices are unlikely to come down.

Aye but we can still have a good moan about it :greengrin

I'm not saying there is an incentive to reduce prices, right now at least but crowds are dwindling a bit at the old firm and they are not taking AS big crowds to away games either. Partly because they are pish of course, but partly also because they don't want to pay 25 quid plus to watch a game that's on TV anyway, and is likely to be pretty crud most of the time.

It's a strange thing happened at Motherwell, and I can only put it down to the fact they are pish, and their fans are weirdos :greengrin

I'm fairly certain crowds at ER would not drop if prices were lowered!!

Steve-O
20-11-2009, 07:34 AM
I know, I read it. I was asking if you would pay for those tickets every week. I think you can go to the wrestling every week in the states so I was asking if you would pay the same price to watch it every week.

Would you buy a season ticket for wrestling at the same price as a Hibs ST? It would help guage whether you think that a football season ticket is better value than a hypothetical wrestling one.

Thing is though, going to the wrestling in the States is a LOT cheaper than the prices they charge when they tour the UK / rest of the world. It's probably even cheaper than SPL football :agree:

RoslinInstHibby
20-11-2009, 11:32 AM

you pay that to sky to watch it every week.....

Sick Boy
20-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Thing is though, going to the wrestling in the States is a LOT cheaper than the prices they charge when they tour the UK / rest of the world. It's probably even cheaper than SPL football :agree:

I wouldn't pay anything to go and watch grown men pretending to fight.

Hal Jordan
20-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Any mair than 15 quid is a rip off. Going by inflation and wage increases it SHOULD be about 15-18 quid for Premier league games.
That includes concerts as well as fitbaw.
I earn 12 quid an hour, but grudge handing it over for an hour's entertainment unless it's something really special.
I was almost ill when I read the price of a band like Kasabian. 25 quid for derivative gash like that? You're havin' a laugh. I wouldn't pay that for any gig. Well maybe the Pistols.
Last time I went to see the Proclaimers it was about 15 quid, and that was only about 7 years ago.
But then again internet booking and E-bay touting has stopped me going to gigs anymore.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Aye but we can still have a good moan about it :greengrin

I'm not saying there is an incentive to reduce prices, right now at least but crowds are dwindling a bit at the old firm and they are not taking AS big crowds to away games either. Partly because they are pish of course, but partly also because they don't want to pay 25 quid plus to watch a game that's on TV anyway, and is likely to be pretty crud most of the time.

It's a strange thing happened at Motherwell, and I can only put it down to the fact they are pish, and their fans are weirdos :greengrin

I'm fairly certain crowds at ER would not drop if prices were lowered!!

That would depend entirely on the football on offer.

The point is that if the product remains the same, a reduction in admission does not equate to increased crowds.

If the product improves, crowds increase, a little.

If it declines, crowds dwindle.

This year, season tickets cost less than they did in 2007. We sold less season tickets than we have for years.

When it comes to football, it seems that the usual market formulas do not apply.

Steve-O
21-11-2009, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't pay anything to go and watch grown men pretending to fight.

Well you do pay money to watch grown men running about in shorts chashing a ball about a park...:wink:

Steve-O
21-11-2009, 01:40 AM
That would depend entirely on the football on offer.

The point is that if the product remains the same, a reduction in admission does not equate to increased crowds.

If the product improves, crowds increase, a little.

If it declines, crowds dwindle.

This year, season tickets cost less than they did in 2007. We sold less season tickets than we have for years.

When it comes to football, it seems that the usual market formulas do not apply.

But is this possibly because prices remain static? i.e. you end up paying the same price for a Mowbray style season as you did for a Mixu season.

In general, I think the SPL is overpriced for the product that's on offer 90% of the time.

Pete
21-11-2009, 02:00 AM

It's all about your perception of value.

£90 to witness Bocelli sing perfectly is worth more than four random games where we might be mince....or brilliant.

We shouldn't be charged any more than 20 pounds to get into any SPL games. Any more is taking the mick in my opinion and doesn't represent value for money.

We all know that fans don't operate on a "value for money" basis but on club loyalty. However, crowds might increase if such a pricing policy was implemented. Remember, we're not Motherwell and we have real potential.