PDA

View Full Version : The Irvine Welsh Stand?

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I drive past Stark's Park most days. Up until now I've wondered who this Val McDermid that sponsors the Rovers is. They have even named the East Stand in her honour.

Turns out she is a famous crime writer (I had thought she maybe ran an employment agency). Anyway, we've got a few famous writers in our dressing room too. What's the chances of them - in a bout of insanity - forking out the dosh to keep us in the luxury that literate fans of the footballing art deserve?

jgl07
18-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Hearts could have the Ronnie Corbet stand!

1875godsgift
18-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I think Ronnie Corbet would have to stand!

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I think Ronnie Corbet would have to stand!

He would need his own box.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I drive past Stark's Park most days. Up until now I've wondered who this Val McDermid that sponsors the Rovers is. They have even named the East Stand in her honour.

Turns out she is a famous crime writer (I had thought she maybe ran an employment agency). Anyway, we've got a few famous writers in our dressing room too. What's the chances of them - in a bout of insanity - forking out the dosh to keep us in the luxury that literate fans of the footballing art deserve?

:agree:

It's practically a certainty.

Ian Rankin was at a Hibs match once.

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 12:59 PM
He would need his own box.

Is it too late to ask how big the box would be?

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Yes

Hibbyradge
18-11-2009, 01:14 PM

I think you're on the wrong forum.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I think you're on the wrong planet.

Fixed. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I think you're on the wrong forum.

OK what's the name of the Raith Rovers forum?

Hibbyradge
18-11-2009, 01:25 PM
OK what's the name of the Raith Rovers forum?

SmallboxseeksMforfunandmaybemore.co.uk

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 01:32 PM
DancingInTheStreets.com

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 01:47 PM
SmallboxseeksMforfunandmaybemore.co.uk

No GSOH then? :wink:

DancingInTheStreets.com

Of course - it's so easy to forget how much of a Rovers fan Martha Reeves actually was.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Of course - it's so easy to forget how much of a Rovers fan Martha Reeves actually was.

Indeed. Legend has it that she got the idea for her band's name from Gogs Brown when she bought a programme from him at Stark's Park in the 60's.

"ehhhh... ye fancy a muffin, Martha?".

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Indeed. Legend has it that she got the idea for her band's name from Gogs Brown when she bought a programme from him at Stark's Park in the 60's.

To which she replied "oh wooden I", and Brown said "**** off ya fat bitch then"! (IIRC)

edit: when I go for political incorectness I do it in style.

EskbankHibby
18-11-2009, 02:13 PM

:agree:

The Cicero Family enclosure.

heretoday
18-11-2009, 02:24 PM
McDermid for thrills.....Starks Park for pies!

Hibbyradge
18-11-2009, 02:43 PM
To which she replied "oh wooden I", and Brown said "**** off ya fat bitch then"! (IIRC)

Are you sure?

I ask because the Sun reported the incident quoting Brown as calling her a "fit botch".

:confused:

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Are you sure?

I ask because the Sun reported the incident quoting Brown as calling her a "fit botch".

You can never rely on them for accuracy - they'll be quoting him as saying he's bigger than Jesus next.

Jonnyboy
18-11-2009, 03:04 PM
*********Exclusive*********

Romanov names all four stands at Tynie after 'celebrity' supporters

Cicero Stand

Corbett Stand

Ken Stott stand

Plooky snooker player stand

Apparently he has also finally realised just how effective Hibs' stand up and be counted campaign was and has asked Ronnie Corbett to set something up for Hearts. It's to be called the Stand up and be Seen campaign :wink:

Keith_M
18-11-2009, 03:23 PM
What a great idea, let's name a stand after the guy responsible for the whole world thinking we're a bunch of "Thieves, Whores and Junkies"!

I wouldn't spit on that arschloch if he was on fire.

:grr:

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 03:29 PM
What a great idea, let's name a stand after the guy responsible for the whole world thinking we're a bunch of "Thieves, Whores and Junkies"!

Ach, irony. Ye cannae beat it on a Wednesday night when there's naff all on the telly.

Keith_M
18-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Ach, irony. Ye cannae beat it on a Wednesday night when there's naff all on the telly.

I thought that was what yer maw did when the washin was dry :wink:

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I thought that was what yer maw did when the washin was dry :wink:

Um... aye... on a Wednesday night when there's naff all on the telly

Keith_M
18-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Um... aye... on a Wednesday night when there's naff all on the telly

Speak for yourself. You should see some of the dodgy channels they show over here on Council Telly.

:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 03:49 PM

I hadn't thought of that, I live with the shame all the time. Totally unreflective of Leith in the 80s, what team does Alexander McCall Smith support.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I hadn't thought of that, I live with the shame all the time. Totally unreflective of Leith in the 80s, what team does Alexander McCall Smith support.

Probably Watsonians.

Or Real Gaborone.

(do you think the Celtc feeder club in Botswana is called The Nuns of Gaborone?)

jgl07
18-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Cicero Stand

Corbett Stand

Ken Stott stand

That's good a bus station with a taxi rank (For Acne Carriages).

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Probably Watsonians.

Or Real Gaborone.

(do you think the Celtc feeder club in Botswana is called The Nuns of Gaborone?)

:faf:

Probably, and yes I am stumped for a better reoly.

ancient hibee
18-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Will Dundee U.get J.K.Rowling to sponsor the Harry Potter stand once he leaves and becomes a legend or is that too many fairy tales for one post?

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Probably Watsonians.

Or Real Gaborone.

:top marks

Well played :greengrin

Rory89
18-11-2009, 11:13 PM
We should call the away stand the Irvine Welsh stand because the only times it's completely full is when it's full of absolute ringpieces like Welsh.

joe breezy
19-11-2009, 06:04 AM
We should call the away stand the Irvine Welsh stand because the only times it's completely full is when it's full of absolute ringpieces like Welsh.

Are all the posters cricising Irvine people who know him or have you just made assumptions from the media?

Up to you if you like someone or not but I don't know anyone who actually knows Irvine who doesn't like him. You won't get a more genuine, kind person.

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2009, 08:49 AM

I'd never slag off Irvine Welsh as he might caricature me in a book. In your case though, I think he already has. :greengrin

Can anyone guess who I have in mind?

CropleyWasGod
19-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd never slag off Irvine Welsh as he might caricature me in a book. In your case though, I think he already has. :greengrin

Can anyone guess who I have in mind?

Sandy Jamieson?

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Sandy Jamieson?

I was thinking more of the alcoholic side of the guy in Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs.

Or possibly Blind ***** in the Acid House. Corrrreckshun!!!

joe breezy
19-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I was thinking more of the alcoholic side of the guy in Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs.

Or possibly Blind ***** in the Acid House. Corrrreckshun!!!

Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson, star of Filth, would be the least desirable perhaps

dangermouse
19-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Probably Watsonians.

Or Real Gaborone.

Do Rangers have a similar feeder club called The Huns of Gaborone?

EskbankHibby
19-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Cicero Stand

Corbett Stand

Ken Stott stand

Apparently he has also finally realised just how effective Hibs' stand up and be counted campaign was and has asked Ronnie Corbett to set something up for Hearts. It's to be called the Stand up and be Seen campaign :wink:

:singing: "Snooker plooky nuts are we"

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Are all the posters cricising Irvine people who know him or have you just made assumptions from the media?

Up to you if you like someone or not but I don't know anyone who actually knows Irvine who doesn't like him. You won't get a more genuine, kind person.

Irvine! How are you, old chap?

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Irvine! How are you, old chap?

Do you like Irvine, Bob? "Joe" says none of his friends have a bad word to say about him.

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Do you like Irvine, Bob? "Joe" says none of his friends have a bad word to say about him.

Met him a couple of times at Dublin airport getting on the Edinburgh flight, when I was domiciled in the Emerald Isle. (We were usually both heading to ER.) Comes over as a very warm and friendly chap, not at all like what you'd expect from the the books and media, as Joe says. Always lets on and seems to have time for people.

As to his books, I have to confess that I thought Trainspotting was overhyped but deserved to be a success as it was highly original. I'm going against the flow, but I actually like his newer stuff best, Crime, Glue etc. They seem a bit more thoughtful and less like some undesirable jakey is shouting in your ear at a bar.

Bad Martini
19-11-2009, 11:05 AM
The Acid House is a masterpiece. The novella, aptly named the "Smart ****" is classic and most vintagely amusing.

Indeed, I have yet to read a bad book by the man though some are definitely less pleasing on the literary senses than others.

However, the bald one created Francis Begbie, surely the radgest bam of all. A quality and amusing character all rolled into one and one who'd merit a film by himself for the absolute radge factor.

Alas, if he's reading this post;make it so comradge - just call it "El Radgeo Franko". :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Met him a couple of times at Dublin airport getting on the Edinburgh flight, when I was domiciled in the Emerald Isle. (We were usually both heading to ER.) Comes over as a very warm and friendly chap, not at all like what you'd expect from the the books and media, as Joe says. Always lets on and seems to have time for people.

As to his books, I have to confess that I thought Trainspotting was overhyped but deserved to be a success as it was highly original. I'm going against the flow, but I actually like his newer stuff best, Crime, Glue etc. They seem a bit more thoughtful and less like some undesirable jakey is shouting in your ear at a bar.

So how about asking him to build our new stand?

marinello59
19-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Will if it's a case of getting somebody to actually build the new stand in exchange for being namechecked I vote for the "Bob the Builder Stand" A much more practical chap.:agree:

Bad Martini
19-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Will if it's a case of getting somebody to actually build the new stand in exchange for being namechecked I vote for the "Bob the Builder Stand" A much more practical chap.:agree:

How about the "better late than never stand" if yer bringing in a troop of builders from anywhere :greengrin

Ye can be guaranteed it'll be late, over budget and potentially different from what was agreed. :greengrin

poolman
19-11-2009, 11:24 AM

You dont know what the **** you're talking about :bitchy:

therealgavmac
19-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Good story wrong band :wink: (Vandellas)

CropleyWasGod
19-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Good story wrong band :wink: (Vandellas)

Oh, really?

Whooooooosh :wink:

heretoday
19-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Trainspotting was great and some of the early short stories too but I've gone off him since. I'm sure he's a good person though.

therealgavmac
19-11-2009, 11:42 AM
:duck:
Oh, really?

Whooooooosh :wink:

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2009, 05:03 PM

I don't know what he's like with breeze block and cement. I suggest conscripting some Lithuanian labour with John Robertson to oversee the work from the Albion Bar.