PDA

View Full Version : Craig Levein

Spike Mandela
16-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Following on from the new Scotland manager poll which has CL way out in front can anyone tell me what his greatest acheivement as a manager are or indeed his greatest qualities:dunno:.

I have always found him vastly over-rated and a person I have just never taken to in all the years he has been around football. Personally would be gutted if he or uncle 'Judas' Walter got the job.:bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Set up 4-4-2, be a bit direct, press your opponents as high up the pitch as you can? Might work in the SPL. Might even work in the lower reaches of the Championship. But at international level? Maybes no.:bitchy::bitchy:

jgl07
16-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Set up 4-4-2, be a bit direct, press your opponents as high up the pitch as you can? Might work in the SPL. Might even work in the lower reaches of the Championship. But at international level? Maybes no.:bitchy::bitchy:
Worked for Craig Brown and to a lesser extent for McLeish and Smith.

Leicester Fan
16-11-2009, 08:06 PM
:bitchy:Didn't for us.

Hiber-nation
16-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Got you to mid table in the Championship while having to cut the squad to the bone. Look what happened after he left. I don't think he's a miracle worker, but I do think he's earned it.

BTW that avatar is far more offensive than the hun's avatar :greengrin

ronaldo7
16-11-2009, 08:11 PM

How did you rate him as a Manager Leicester??

Seemed to be full of himself when he went down there.

bingo70
16-11-2009, 08:12 PM

thats a honkin avatar you've got there :wink:

I also don't get the hype with Levien, where exactly has his reputation come from?

Failed at leicester, did a decent job but nothing spectacular with hearts and with Utd he's improved them but with the players he had last season to not even finish above aberdeen and not that far away from us is hardly the work of a great manager and certainly not someone that should be such a popular choice as Scotland manager.

WindyMiller
16-11-2009, 08:16 PM

I also don't get the hype with Levien, where exactly has his reputation come from?

Failed at leicester, did a decent job but nothing spectacular with hearts and with Utd he's improved them but with the players he had last season to not even finish above aberdeen and not that far away from us is hardly the work of a great manager and certainly not someone that should be such a popular choice as Scotland manager.

While spending more than any other club outwith the OF.

jgl07
16-11-2009, 08:21 PM
While spending more than any other club outwith the OF.
Very true. Hearts were always banging on about how they were cutting costs while signing players from the English Premiership.

I suspect that he learned by his mistakes at Hearts and Leicester and has turned into a decent, if rather negative, manager.

He also had the sense to jump ship when Romanov 'surfaced' at Hearts.

Leicester Fan
16-11-2009, 08:28 PM
How did you rate him as a Manager Leicester??

It's true, he did have to cut the wage bill but the players he bought in to replace them were pish (is that the right word?). We always seemed to be out muscled and a bit lightweight. He wasn't that sharp tactically either.

I thought it'd be popular if I put in a local lad.

WindyMiller
16-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Very true. Hearts were always banging on about how they were cutting costs while signing players from the English Premiership.

I suspect that he learned by his mistakes at Hearts and Leicester and has turned into a decent, if rather negative, manager.

He also had the sense to jump ship when Romanov 'surfaced' at Hearts.

Aye, I'll give him that.
He's possibly one of our better options for Burley's job.

ScottB
16-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Wouldn't be my first choice upon reflection, but certainly when he was the pundit during the Scotland matches he was suggesting changes and substitutions etc that made sense, unlike Burley's...

007 Mickey Weir
16-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I always think he comes across very well. Honest. A bit like Yogi. He has made mistakes but who hasn't.
Seems to get respect from his players. Which is vital as a Scotland Manager.
He might be negative at times, but seems to the successful Scotland way.

I still think that someone else will get it though. I hope they take there time.

Hakim Sar
16-11-2009, 08:45 PM
i feel levein unites everyone behind him well. he got eddie thompson onside when he had a reputation for hiring and firing with a bit of fervour. he got everyone at dundee united pulling in the same direction (something the SFA fail badly with) and seems to communicate well which is always essential. I also feel he organises defences far better than other ex defender managers such as mowbray and gareth southgate for example.

at leicester he was a failure (just to have a balanced argument) but I dont think the english quite bought into his sort of scottish monotony and he wasnt there for all that long, just a season or so i think???

levein at hearts had them finishing 3rd - again they were organised and i think he has done it all with a nice balance of scottish experience, scottish youth and a compliment of decent foreigners.

we have to remember levein is a critic of the SFA and some referees so he may not be popular with the goon squad that will be conducting the interviews.....