PDA

View Full Version : Victory Shield

H18sry
16-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Just received the following E-Mail from the SFA and I find it very strange that none of our under 16's feature in the Victory Shield squad,

Sky Sports Victory Shield

Scotland v England

Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh

Thursday 26 November 2009

Kick-Off 7.40 p.m.

Scotland Under 16's take on England in a "winner takes all" Sky Sports Victory Shield match next week.

Scotland and England currently top the group with the same points. A draw on 26th November would see both sides share the Victory Shield. An outright win for either team would see them lift the shield.

Admission to the match is by cash gate - adults £5, children and concessions £2 so why not come along and cheer on the stars of the future!

The squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

James Wightman (Celtic)

Defenders

Scott Campbell (Heart of Midlothian)

Ryan Carnwath (Heart of Midlothian)

Joseph Chalmers (Celtic)

Marcus Fraser (Celtic)

Shane Rook (Celtic)

Mohammed Yaqub (Celtic)

Midfielders

Jack Grimmer (Aberdeen)

John Heron (Celtic)

Lewis MacLeod (Rangers)

Liam Polworth (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

George Scott (Rangers)

Craig Slater (St Mirren)

Forwards

Dale Carrick (Heart of Midlothian)

Lee Cochrane (Rangers)

Islam Feruz (Celtic)

Matthew Kennedy (Kilmarnock)

Thomas Reilly (St Mirren)

Gingertosser
16-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I've noticed this over the last few years.

0-1 players @ u'16 level

1-2 players @ u'19 level

2-3 players @ u'21 level

3+ players @ full international (although no longer with us)

I'm assuming its down to the training, where we bring them on to be professionals and not just oversized lumps who can head the ball :wink:

PaulSmith
16-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Happens every year with the Victory Shield for as long as I can remember, it's always dominated by OF players and this year is no different. If your worried that we don't have talent at that age group then I wouldn't be, even when we had Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher etc on the books they were overlooked by guys who were on Rangers/Celtics books then but are now playing junior football somewhere.

BEEJ
16-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Happens every year with the Victory Shield for as long as I can remember, it's always dominated by OF players and this year is no different.
I reckon the OP's point has been prompted more by the presence of 4 young Yams in there.

:wink:

DC_Hibs
16-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Remember watching it a good few years back when Hibs were represented by Fletch and Ryan Pow. One is now a full internationalist playing every week in the premiership and the other was playing Juniors the last I heard.

oconnors_strip
16-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Remember watching it a good few years back when Hibs were represented by Fletch and Ryan Pow. One is now a full internationalist playing every week in the premiership and the other was playing Juniors the last I heard.

ryan pow is playing and living in america, has been for the past 2/3 years. he lives in a town called marshall and plays for the local team missouri valley. he loves it out there.

brog
17-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I think Lewis Stevenson was a regular in Victory Shield matches. Can anyone confirm? It is strange though how we produce so many good young players but not it appears at an early age!!