PDA

View Full Version : Souness

johnrebus
16-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Just watched BBC interview with Graeme Souness .

Nice to see that in an ever changing world, some things remain the same.

He still comes accross as obnoxious, ignorant, arrogant and utterly deluded of his own self importance.

Why is he not manager of Hearts ?

:confused:

ScottB
16-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Just watched BBC interview with Graeme Souness .

Nice to see that in an ever changing world, some things remain the same.

He still comes accross as obnoxious, ignorant, arrogant and utterly deluded of his own self importance.

Why is he not manager of Hearts ?

:confused:

Why anyone outside of the most deluded Huns back Souness for Scotland is beyond me.

Jim44
16-11-2009, 12:55 PM
The creature didn't even have the honesty to say that whoever takes on the job would have a difficult challenge ahead of him etc.etc. and that he was incapable of doing the job. All he said was that, although not in as many words, 'we are 'crap' and I'm not going to risk what little integrity or reputation I have on that rubbish.' Thank God he won't be considered for the job.

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Why anyone outside of the most deluded Huns back Souness for Scotland is beyond me.

:agree:.. what has Souness really done as a manager in the last decade? Ditched Blackburn when a bigger club came calling, and arguably started the ball rolling on Newcastle's demise.

Would be a truly awful appointment if it happened. To be honest I can't think who I would want as the new manager, nor who would want it. All I know is, we can't expect him to take us to Euro 2012, this appointment has to be with the long term in mind. For that reason, I don't think it should be Smith or Jefferies. Maybe Levein, Collins or Darren Ferguson... maybe even go down the foreign route like Ireland and get a world class manager (not that they would want the job imo). Past that I really don't know.

sesoim
16-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Agree with everyone here. He is one of many guys who has landed big jobs because he was a big name player. I hope he gets another job and totally buggers it up just to show what a useless twat he really is.

As for Scotland, as with all coaching jobs, a talented guy WILL improve results. An arrogant dislikeable bigmouthed has-been wont.

ballengeich
16-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Souness's argument seems to be that Scotland can't be improved since international managers can't buy players - as if good coaching and team organisation don't matter.

I'd actually like to see him apply for the job - simply so he could be turned down.

jacomo
16-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, at least we can be sure that Souness WON'T be the next Scotland manager.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The creature didn't even have the honesty to say that whoever takes on the job would have a difficult challenge ahead of him etc.etc. and that he was incapable of doing the job. All he said was that, although not in as many words, 'we are 'crap' and I'm not going to risk what little integrity or reputation I have on that rubbish.' Thank God he won't be considered for the job.

To be honest, I think that's pretty much a spot-on analysis.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2009, 06:40 PM
To be honest, I think that's pretty much a spot-on analysis.

Or equally, turning Scotland around will require abilities that I don't have.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Or equally, turning Scotland around will require abilities that I don't have.

Yes, certainly another way of looking at the same problem.

I watched the Ireland-France game, and they've shelled out all this money on a World class manager, but you have to go with what you have. Ireland have a better squad than Scotland (but only marginally, and there is a sense that they are a team in decline) and were regarded as having a decent campaign. But it looks very much like, after all the bluster, that they will not be in South Africa either.

If Trap can't do it for Ireland, there's no way Souness could, for whatever reason, for Scotland. Perhaps he's doing a favour by calling it as it is, rather than letting us salivate and delude over the next troll the SFA showhorn into the job, with the same tired platitudes.

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 06:54 PM

I watched the Ireland-France game, and they've shelled out all this money on a World class manager, but you have to go with what you have. Ireland have a better squad than Scotland (but only marginally, and there is a sense that they are a team in decline) and were regarded as having a decent campaign. But it looks very much like, after all the bluster, that they will not be in South Africa either.

If Trap can't do it for Ireland, there's no way Souness could, for whatever reason, for Scotland. Perhaps he's doing a favour by calling it as it is, rather than letting us salivate and delude over the next troll the SFA showhorn into the job, with the same tired platitudes.

:top marks:agree:

That's the problem.. it won't matter who the SFA appoint as manager, the same will happen to him as happened to Burley and McLeish (ie failure to qualify).

As I keep saying, it's the system (SFA and leagues) and the way we treat grass roots football that need improving before we can even expect qualification for a major competition.

jacomo
16-11-2009, 06:56 PM

I don't think it was deluded to think Scotland could have got to South Africa next summer.

After pushing France and Italy all the way in the previous campaign, we should have finished in the runners-up spot this time.

Scottish football has much deeper problems to sort out, but certainly we are entitled to be disappointed at recent results, rather than just shrug our shoulders and accept it.

heretoday
16-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Souness is a deeply unpleasant person.

To me, he exhibits an impression of a man trying to harness an inner violence.

There's a lot of chaps like that about.

MB62
17-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Souness is a deeply unpleasant person.

To me, he exhibits an impression of a man trying to harness an inner violence.

There's a lot of chaps like that about.

I detest that man and he ranks only behind Wallace Mercer and Maggie Thatcher in my list of people I truly detest/hate.

Bad Martini
17-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Im delighted Souness stated publicly he's not interested.

He almost (single handedly) ruined Liverpool and indeed, has the reverse midas touch when he doesn't have bags of money to throw at the problem...he has no man management skills and has nothing to offer the Scottish National Team.

Thank **** for small mercies.

He's also, a hun, through and through and sported a very dubious tache :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
17-11-2009, 11:25 AM
He almost (single handedly) ruined Liverpool and indeed,

And here we are all these years on and another guy's in doing the very same thing...

Franck is God
17-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought his comments were riduiculous. Realistically what does he know about Scottish football anymore. All of these ex Scottish footballers living and working in England have been rolled out in front of the bbc/sky cameras giving there opinions on the state of our football.

Apart from a few who will know what they're talking about I'd like any of them to name the Scottish players they know outside the Old Firm. At the moment Celtic, Rangers, Hibs & Dundee Utd are only separated at the top of the league by a few points, Could Souness name 5 current Hibs or Dundee Utd players?

He is a Scottish rent-a-gob who only has his own interests in mind.

CyberSauzee
17-11-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/444/29/

A very interesting article about Henning Berg's relationship with Souness at Blackburn. Confirms what everyone says about his arrogance and self importance.

Henning watches the training session, as Souness and his assistants yell and wave their arms. He tells me about Phil Boersma. He used to be the assistant to the physio at Liverpool. When Souness managed Galatasaray, Boersma was put in charge of warm-ups. When Souness took charge of Blackburn, he made Boersma head coach.

“That’s what Souness is like. He’ll only associate himself with people who say ‘yes boss’, coaches who wouldn’t even be competent to coach Norwegian youth teams,” Henning says.

Souness and Yorke ended up in an argument about an incident on the pitch. Souness threw off his tracksuit top and insisted on joining in and playing. He sometimes did, even though he was over 50. The players didn’t have the courage to protest. They kicked off and the first thing Souness did was to chase after Yorke. The manager threw himself at his own player, studs first, kicked him at knee height with both feet and left Yorke lying on the grass. Yorke was carried off. Souness didn’t comment on the tackle at all, he just insisted they played on.

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Im delighted Souness stated publicly he's not interested.

He almost (single handedly) ruined Liverpool and indeed, has the reverse midas touch when he doesn't have bags of money to throw at the problem...he has no man management skills and has nothing to offer the Scottish National Team.

Thank **** for small mercies.

He's also, a hun, through and through and sported a very dubious tache :faf:

Houllier and Benetiz have down a better job, they've just disguised it with some cups.

--------
17-11-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/444/29/

A very interesting article about Henning Berg's relationship with Souness at Blackburn. Confirms what everyone says about his arrogance and self importance.

Neither of those quotes surprises me in the slightest.

I'm still trying to work out what on earth was going on in the minds of those who were advocating him for the job.

He was a violent, arrogant thug when he was playing, apparently the same as a manager, and in my humble opinion must rank as one of the most unpleasant people ever to pull on a football shirt. (And there've been a right few of THOSE.)

Edit: Just read the whole article. What a pillock! (Souness, that is.)