PDA

View Full Version : NHC Arrogant English at it again!

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-11-2009, 09:00 AM
You just have to look at this video of what the stupid english media think of the rest of the world's footballing teams, Capello says Brazil will be favourites and "stand in our way" to winning the world cup, WTF!, just who do they think they are?, a medicore team with some fine players that never seem to gel together because of ego's and arrogance despite all the players "togetherness" talk

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5697531,00.html

Mag7
16-11-2009, 09:03 AM
You just have to look at this video of what the stupid english media think of the rest of the world's footballing teams, Capello says Brazil will be favourites and "stand in our way" to winning the world cup, WTF!, just who do they think they are?, a medicore team with some fine players that never seem to gel together because of ego's and arrogance despite all the players "togetherness" talk

Don't see much wrong with what he's saying TBH. England SHOULD be thinking they can win the World Cup. Personally I don't think they're quite good enough yet, but they put together an excellent run of results in qualifying and Capello is clearly a good manager. I like him in fact. One thing's for sure they're light years ahead of Scotland.

TheEastTerrace
16-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Under Capello, I think England have a decent shot at the World Cup. Spain and Brazil will be favourites.

The media are OTT, but when have they ever been anything else?

Put it this way, I would rather be in their position than ours at the moment.

Tinyclothes
16-11-2009, 09:08 AM

Ally's army?

Steve20
16-11-2009, 09:09 AM
So, should they come out and say "We are not good enough to win it" then?

FWIW, I think they should go into the World Cup thinking they can win it. I think Brazil, Spain or Italy will win it, but England have a chance.

McSwanky
16-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Like it or not, England are always in with a chance of winning the World Cup. All they need is a decent manager (which I reckon they now have) and a reasonable slice of luck. I would consider them one of the top 4 favourites for next year.

I don't quite get why people feel they're so arrogant. Spain have a comparable (probably worse - I haven't checked) record in major championships over the years, yet they are nearly always quoted amongst the favourites too.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I think a team of England's calibre should be going thinking they can win it. However that is a different thing to shouting that they will win. It is also different to the English Press that start from an assumption that it is their God given right to win it and then announcing that the end of the world is nigh when they get to the QFs and lose on Penalties. England should be capable of QFs in every major tournament and have a good chance of reaching the Semis. God help us if they ever get to another Final. It will either be the greatest of victories or a conspiracy against them...... Anyway I always enjoy tournaments where they don't qualify as I can't stand the hype down here.

GlesgaeHibby
16-11-2009, 09:15 AM
They've got to talk themselves up and have the belief.

FWIW I think they have an excellent chance next year. Definitely between them, Brazil, Holland and Spain IMO.

Hopefully one of the latter 3 win it, as I don't want to be on this planet if England win it again.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Like it or not, England are always in with a chance of winning the World Cup. All they need is a decent manager (which I reckon they now have) and a reasonable slice of luck. I would consider them one of the top 4 favourites for next year.

I don't quite get why people feel they're so arrogant. Spain have a comparable (probably worse - I haven't checked) record in major championships over the years, yet they are nearly always quoted amongst the favourites too.

I think they have the manager but not the team. The one that went to the last WC was much better but their Manager was an Erse! :greengrin

Hainan Hibs
16-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Another Quarter Final defeat I predict. The hype will get all to much for them and they will be put on their ***** yet again.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Don't see much wrong with what he's saying TBH. England SHOULD be thinking they can win the World Cup. Personally I don't think they're quite good enough yet, but they put together an excellent run of results in qualifying and Capello is clearly a good manager. I like him in fact. One thing's for sure they're light years ahead of Scotland.

What is the relevance of England being light years ahead of Scotland? Just because our countries are joined together does not mean that it is correct to draw comparisons. As one of the foremost football playing nations, England's peers are Germany, Italy, Brazil and Argentina and in that company their record of only one trophy is not great. In terms of teams below their level, France for eg, they have underachieved. I think that the heat in South Africa will do for them as the tournament progresses.

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Before Berti Burley worked his magic, they were one place ahead of Scotland in the FIFA rankings.

:faf:

Mag7
16-11-2009, 09:58 AM
What is the relevance of England being light years ahead of Scotland? Just because our countries are joined together does not mean that it is correct to draw comparisons. As one of the foremost football playing nations, England's peers are Germany, Italy, Brazil and Argentina and in that company their record of only one trophy is not great. In terms of teams below their level, France for eg, they have underachieved. I think that the heat in South Africa will do for them as the tournament progresses.

I just think it sums up how low we've sunk under Burley that the best some folk on here can do is to dredge up some rather unfounded criticism of England. We certainly didn't used to be so far behind England in playing terms but now we're so far off the pace we're hardly in a position to belittle others.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 09:59 AM

It will be winter in South Africa when they stage the WC. It can get a bit parky in Jo'burg in June...... :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
16-11-2009, 10:05 AM

The the weather, for once, will not be an excuse for the English. It will be the South African winter, so they will not be exposed to extreme heat. Average temps in South Africa are between 17 and 23 so quite pleasant really.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 10:09 AM
The the weather, for once, will not be an excuse for the English. It will be the South African winter, so they will not be exposed to extreme heat. Average temps in South Africa are between 17 and 23 so quite pleasant really.

Did I no just say that? :confused: :greengrin

joe breezy
16-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Good for them.

What's arrogant about wanting to, and believing they can, win a Cup :confused:

By the way, none of my English pals at all think England will win the World Cup

TheEastTerrace
16-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Did I no just say that? :confused: :greengrin

Aye, was busy researching the avg temperatures so took me longer to write the reply. Looks like you nipped in before me. :greengrin

Still, nae harm in reinforcing the point eh :greengrin

--------
16-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Seems a fairly balanced review - didn't seem to be over-hyping England at all.

The only thing I'd disagree with was the comment about the Daily Record journos being "at the top of their profession" - more like the end with the haemorrhoids, IMO.

Bad Martini
16-11-2009, 11:36 AM
They'll **** it up on penalties again, probably in the semi-finals, hopefully against someone they hate, like the Germans :greengrin

That always pisses them off.....:devil:

If they do win, get onboard a shuttle to space and dinny come back til the dust settles (based on that year between 65 and 67, it'll probably take at least 200 years for them to shut up about it , maybe)

:grr:

ENDOF

sleeping giant
16-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Good for them.

What's arrogant about wanting to, and believing they can, win a Cup :confused:

By the way, none of my English pals at all think England will win the World Cup

:agree:

Every team MUST think they can win EVERY competition they enter.

Lucky shower that they are:grr:

SidBurns
16-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Best chance they'll have of winning it in the next 20 or so years but they'll not win it - END OF!

When it comes down to it the Germans, Argentina, Brazil, Holland, Spain, Italy and the likes of Russia, Ivory Coast, Portugal etc will wipe the floor with them - THANK GOD! :wink:

sleeping giant
16-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Best chance they'll have of winning it in the next 20 or so years but they'll not win it - END OF!

When it comes down to it the Germans, Argentina, Brazil, Holland, Spain, Italy and the likes of Russia, Ivory Coast, Portugal etc will wipe the floor with them - THANK GOD! :wink:

They're there though !

Let them dream.

Wish it was us

Cropley10
16-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Except it's going to be one of the coolest World Cups on record, as it's their winter in June/July....

joe breezy
16-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I think it's the media that get carried away in England, none of the people you speak to have the same expectation levels.

They're pretty cynical. 'We'll muck it up' 'we'll go out on penalties' 'we'll get knocked out in the quarter finals' 'Brazil or Spain will win it'

But the Sun gets well carried away cos it's in their interests for all the people who know nothing about football to get excited and stick their Sun St George's Cross out the window and keep buying papers for stories on Roo, Frew Barney McGhoo, and all the WAGS

basehibby
16-11-2009, 12:57 PM

:confused: In precisely what way are France (or Spain for that matter) less of a footballing power than Ingerlund???
Agree that they are not a good comparison for Scotland (Ireland would be though).

Keith_M
16-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I really get fed up with all the Anti-English tripe on here.

OK, Scotland haven't qualified so it's about time we were all grown up about it and got behind our southern neighbours during the World Cup. After all, we're all British.......

Sorry, I can't keep a straight face any more. :greengrin

greenlex
16-11-2009, 03:08 PM
England will win the bloody thing. End Off :boo hoo:

Kaiser1962
16-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Another Quarter Final defeat I predict. The hype will get all to much for them and they will be put on their ***** yet again.

Agreed. England should always be there or thereabouts at the major finals nut seem to come up short. As the tournament goes on the pressure builds and the expectation brings them down. Something similar happens to New Zealand at the rugby World Cup. Slightly worse in fact as NZ have the players and ability to win every time, they come close between WC's but come the main event, like England, the bottle goes. You cant buy or train for that.

ancient hibee
16-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Suspect that lack of a reliable goalie will cost them big time.

judas
16-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Yawn.

Let's bash the English again.

Peevemor
16-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Let's bash the English again.

Okay, you go first. :take that

jdships
16-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Sorry but think you are away off on this .:yawn:
What's arrogant about wanting to, and believing they can, win a Cup ?
Ask yourself this question -
What would you want a Scotland manager to say it he was in the same position as Capello ?

Just wish it was us :greengrin

Winston Ingram
16-11-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm confused. What's arrogant about that:confused:

VegasHibby
17-11-2009, 02:21 AM

England have a genuine chance of getting to the last 4. There's nothing wrong in having confidence and a little bit of arrogance. Pity Scotland don't have that arrogant attitude......

--------
17-11-2009, 10:48 AM
England have a genuine chance of getting to the last 4. There's nothing wrong in having confidence and a little bit of arrogance. Pity Scotland don't have that arrogant attitude......

And if they DO get to the last four, they're 2 games away from winning it.

I don't see any arrogance in that clip - they're going, we're not, so do we all climb on the pity-pot and sit there for the duration?

(Ask me how I feel after Freak Motson gets 15 seconds into his commentary and says "July afternoon in 1966".... :devil: )