PDA

View Full Version : Burley on his way

Dr Jimmy
15-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Sky sports News saying it is increasingly unlikely George Burley to remain in charge of scotland. SFA to meet in the next couple of days to discuss his future.............Gid rid now!!

IWasThere2016
15-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd go for Levein. Arabs will be selling shortly IMHO - and this might tempt Levein to leave.

Stumbling block is his poor relationship with Gorgeous Gordon Smith

Hibercelona
15-11-2009, 05:31 PM
GTF Burley :bye:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
15-11-2009, 05:36 PM
How about John Collins ? :greengrin

Minder
15-11-2009, 05:42 PM

Could do a helluva lot worse. Personally though would love to see Souness get the job. Also time for Gordon Smith to go.

iwasthere1972
Voted for him to keep his job on a recent poll on this board but after very poor performances in the Far East and Cardiff he's got to go. There's no way that we will improve with him in charge. Smith and Peat should also be picking up their P45 as they are equally responsible for this shambles.

Anyone know how his managerial stats in the Scotland job compare to Berti Vogts?

HIBERNIAN 1875
Great news that Burley might be away.

My vote goes to John Collins. :agree:

Scotthibs1875
15-11-2009, 05:43 PM
What about Ally Mccoist?:cool2:

iwasthere1972
15-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Even Joan Collins would have more success than Burley. :agree:

Scotthibs1875
15-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Could do a helluva lot worse. Personally though would love to see Souness get the job. Also time for Gordon Smith to go.
your drunk right?

james62
15-11-2009, 05:45 PM
What about Ally Mccoist?:cool2:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets the Huns job when Smith leaves or gets sacked. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
15-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Souness:agree:

Elephant Stone
15-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Hopefully the abhorrent Smith goes with him aswell.

I think Levein should be first choice to replace Burley. Would he take it though? He's taken Dundee United from being down the bottom of the SPL to being a very respectable team, i'm not sure if he'd be overly keen to walk away.

Dr Jimmy
15-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hopefully the abhorrent Smith goes with him aswell.

I think Levein should be first choice to replace Burley. Would he take it though? He's taken Dundee United from being down the bottom of the SPL to being a very respectable team, i'm not sure if he'd be overly keen to walk away.

There are appears to be constant rumours that it is not what it was with Levein and D Utd since Thompson jr took over. Therefore may be a chance of getting him. He is a top class manager and would get the team sorted.

Hibercelona
15-11-2009, 05:59 PM

John Collins was a good manager that wanted the players to toughen up and get as fit as possible. :agree:

It was the players attitudes that were the problem.

I'd be thrilled if he got the Scotland job.

Then he could show off that six pack of his again... and go "Right boys... This is what you're aiming for". :devil: :agree:

Minder
15-11-2009, 06:01 PM
your drunk right?

No. He is arrogant, self opinionated, hard as nails - exactly what we need to get stuck into the players and SFA. Should have got it ahead of Burley.

Scotthibs1875
15-11-2009, 06:06 PM
No. He is arrogant, self opinionated, hard as nails - exactly what we need to get stuck into the players and SFA. Should have got it ahead of Burley.
That may all be true, but he is an arse. It would be a Hun fest! You can't tell me you want that!

Minder
15-11-2009, 06:15 PM
That may all be true, but he is an arse. It would be a Hun fest! You can't tell me you want that!

Not a question of him being a Hun, surely it is about getting pride restored in national team. Our national team is Scotland, not England and not Ireland. If 8 Huns playing in Scottish team and it was winning and qualifying for EC and WC would you support it?

brythehibby
15-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Not a question of him being a Hun, surely it is about getting pride restored in national team. Our national team is Scotland, not England and not Ireland. If 8 Huns playing in Scottish team and it was winning and qualifying for EC and WC would you support it?

Every day of the week :agree:

Burley must go and go now, take smith with ye!

Elephant Stone
15-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Could you envisage a Scotland team with 8 huns which is capable of that? I'm pretty sure that most of the country is sick of underperforming OF players consistently getting in the team simply because they are OF players. It's time for a manager who would put an end to this and start playing players when they are good enough and not simply if/when they join the OF. I think Levein is possibly the man to do this.

gilliecabbage
15-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Could you envisage a Scotland team with 8 huns which is capable of that? I'm pretty sure that most of the country is sick of underperforming OF players consistently getting in the team simply because they are OF players. It's time for a manager who would put an end to this and start playing players when they are good enough and not simply if/when they join the OF. I think Levein is possibly the man to do this.

think his point is it doesnt matter who they play club football for.

erin go bragh
15-11-2009, 06:40 PM
collins is a great shout but to be honest that hun fluck smith should be emptied too[anyone else see him laughing when the camera picked him out in the stand[we were getting pumped 3 nil at the time]:grr:

Pedantic_Hibee
15-11-2009, 06:42 PM
John Collins.

Scotland doesn't just need a manager, it needs someone with the skill, knowledge and foresight to take our footballing nation, root and branch, and systematically change it from top to bottom.

None of this nonsense with 8 year old laddies running about on a full-size pitch, start them properly from an early age and teach them well.

Teach them like, well, like the French.

Collins is the man for the job in my eyes. And if he doesn't get the head coach role, he should be shoe-horned into any role possible which gives him carte blanche to drag our sorry nation off it's erse and coach the kids properly.

Minder
15-11-2009, 06:48 PM
think his point is it doesnt matter who they play club football for.:agree:

bingo70
15-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Not convinced about Levein, don't think he could be considered a great success wherever he's been, i know he's improved Utd but if he was as good as his reputation suggests he would have qualified for europe last season, it was the worst SPL i can remember and he only just managed to finish above us and we were terrible. He's also got very limited experience with european football.

I don't think there's any outstanding Scottish candidate so i'd like us to appoint a foreign coach, i know Vogts was a disaster, however that doesn't mean every foreign manager would be a failure.

YehButNoBut
15-11-2009, 06:54 PM
BBC News Channel reporting that Burley will be sacked this week. :thumbsup:

Souness would be the ideal replacement. :agree:

Greenblood70
15-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Anyone but Souness...tactically he is a nightmare, he's hardly been an unqualified success everywhere he's been (don't even start quoting me Rangers 9 in a row when everyone else in the league was near enough bankrupt). I also don't think his personality is suited to the role, to concerned wi his own image rather than advancing the team imo.

Sergey
15-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Ferguson for me (Darren....not Sir Alex)

Probably on a hiding to nothing, but he could start tomorrow!

PaulSmith
15-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Alex Miller being the new mans number 2.

Beefster
15-11-2009, 07:03 PM
The SFA are a complete shambles. They defend him earlier today and say he's under no pressure. Hours later, they seem to be about to sack him (rightly by the way).

LamontJnr
15-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Not convinced about Levein, don't think he could be considered a great success wherever he's been, i know he's improved Utd but if he was as good as his reputation suggests he would have qualified for europe last season, it was the worst SPL i can remember and he only just managed to finish above us and we were terrible. He's also got very limited experience with european football.

I don't think there's any outstanding Scottish candidate so i'd like us to appoint a foreign coach, i know Vogts was a disaster, however that doesn't mean every foreign manager would be a failure.

Well, just look at Capello. If only eh . .

bingo70
15-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone but Souness...tactically he is a nightmare, he's hardly been an unqualified success everywhere he's been (don't even start quoting me Rangers 9 in a row when everyone else in the league was near enough bankrupt). I also don't think his personality is suited to the role, to concerned wi his own image rather than advancing the team imo.

Would the two not go hand in hand? If the team is doing well his reputation improves and if they don't his reputaton gets worse.

I'd be worried about how long Souness has been out the game, not convinced he's right for the role just now. I also don't think he'd want it after he was overlooked for the job last time.

gilliecabbage
15-11-2009, 07:04 PM

would certainly be the cheapest option and sir alex would maybe get a buzz and help out

HFC93
15-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Berti Vogts has to be in with a shout :dunno:

ScottB
15-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Souness... No no no no no NO!

Seriously, why would a guy who hasn't been near a management job IN YEARS be a good choice? His success has come at clubs were he has had blank chequebooks and little opposition. The football his Rangers old boy staffed Blackburn side was enough to make the eyes bleed.

Secondly, this nonsense that he will 'take no crap' and 'get the side in line since he's a hardman' is alot of nonsense frankly. His Rangers sides would have made Barry n co's drinking session look like a snifter of port at Christmas, and frankly, we have enough players bailing out of the national set up as it is, shouting and balling at them is not the solution.

We need someone with tactical vision and ability to pick the right players, regardless of club. That is simply not, never has and never will be Souness.

I'd go for Craig Levien if possible, I'd give Darren Ferguson a chance as well. But beyond that I don't see any Scottish candidates worth a look at. So perhaps looking further afield is the way to go.

Lmc2105
15-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Great shout :thumbsup:

pitty he left the posh :boo hoo:

Hibercelona
15-11-2009, 07:13 PM
John Hughes anyone? :devil:

:duck:

CallumLaidlaw
15-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Levein was my choice when Burley got the job. He sets his sides up the correct way, making sure the back is solid first. He has an eye for a player, and his players always seem to want to play for him. He wouldnt pander to the old firm, although this may stop him from getting the job

Cool_Hand_Luke
15-11-2009, 07:24 PM
What are the 2 Jimmys up to these days? :duck: :greengrin

sunshine1875
15-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Laszlo

To be honest, like I said in the 'Vision' thread, Scottish football is going nowhere without a radical change from the bottom-up. I think anyone who takes the job now would not even have a fighting chance of turning Scotland around. I can't really get excited with any of the people mentioned, unless the SFA explain to us what is their Vision to take Scotland towards to top. If there was a Vision, I would think JC (Collins) would be a good candidate to take us there, but it would have to be clear to all that we are likely to slip further before we start to improve.

lyonhibs
15-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Seriously, why would a guy who hasn't been near a management job IN YEARS be a good choice? His success has come at clubs were he has had blank chequebooks and little opposition. The football his Rangers old boy staffed Blackburn side was enough to make the eyes bleed.

Secondly, this nonsense that he will 'take no crap' and 'get the side in line since he's a hardman' is alot of nonsense frankly. His Rangers sides would have made Barry n co's drinking session look like a snifter of port at Christmas, and frankly, we have enough players bailing out of the national set up as it is, shouting and balling at them is not the solution.

We need someone with tactical vision and ability to pick the right players, regardless of club. That is simply not, never has and never will be Souness.

I'd go for Craig Levien if possible, I'd give Darren Ferguson a chance as well. But beyond that I don't see any Scottish candidates worth a look at. So perhaps looking further afield is the way to go.

:agree: :agree:

I thought I was going insane, reading all these pro-Souness posts.

He hasn't had a job in years, and all the managment success he's had has either been at a team where he had pots and pots of money (Rangers) or had the vast majority of a excellent team already assembled (Liverpool)

The man is an arse, and would be a step backwards - e.g. see point re: drinking above - from what is required not just to get the 11 men on the pitch to put in a decent performance now and again, but o undersee a complete mentality shift right through the SFA, to try to ensure our future players have a lot more to rely on than the odd bit of talent that hasn't been coached out of them, stamina and that Scottish staple "grit and determination"

With that in mind, John Collins or look abroad for me.

Levein at a push.

ScottB
15-11-2009, 07:37 PM
It does occur to me, and indeed concern me that we are entering a period of decline.

5 years ago we had McFadden, O'Connor, Brown, Thompson, Whittaker, Gordon, Fletcher, Fletcher et all breaking into the team. It's my fear that as a group they peaked with the World Cup campaign. More concern is that where is the next generation breaking through at that level of talent? Sure there are some good ones, but they certainly haven't broken into the set up.

And as always certain players hang around like a bad smell, further preventing the new generation getting critical game time.

Hibs On Tour
15-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Davie Moyes.

Gonna get nae money to spend at Everton who he has had punching well above their weight for yonks now. Get in there, agree a package with them and start moving things forward.

Tae **** with all this penny-pinching just take whoever is available pish - could there be a more important manager's job?

Endof!

--------
15-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Totally agree - Souness would be an almost certain disaster. He had moderate success at Ibrox and Anfield, mainly IMO thanks to the size of the cheque-books he had at his disposal (and the fact that at Ibrox he only really had one serious competitor). But Blackburn? Newcastle? Southampton? Torino?

The man would alienate everyone. He's one of the most unpleasant people ever to infest the beautiful game. I would seriously rather see Bobby Williamson appointed than Souness, but my preference would be for Levein to be given the job with Alex Miller as his chief assistant and scout.

BUT ABSOLUTELY NO FREAKIN WAY DO I WANT GRAHAM SOUNESS ANYWHERE NEAR THE SCOTLAND TEAM.

I HAVE SPOKE. PERIOD. :grr:

joe breezy
15-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Moyes would be great if he was up for it.

Perspective
15-11-2009, 08:40 PM
George Burley will carry the can for this - and he hasn't made it easy for himself with some terrible statements, selections and decisions - but he has my sympathy. It's pathetic if he has to carry the can for the shambolic state of our game.

I'm not suggesting he was perfect but he achieved the same as the media darlings Smith and McLeish - qualification failure. At least with Burley he tried to have us passing the ball and attacking rather than sitting in hoping for one lucky break. He had to deal with The Daily Record's agenda, the pathetic behaviour of senior internationals (Boyd, Ferguson, McGregor etc), a total lack of cohesive support from Peat/Smith, a ridiculous fixture schedule and a group of players who (with some notable exceptions) simply downed tools on Saturday.

If he goes I'd like to wish him well for the future. At least he has an obvious passion for his national team that clearly isn't shared by every player (or some 'fans' when you look at the 'should Riordan chuck it?' thread).

For every mistake there has also been a positive and whoever the next manager is will at least benefit from him blooding younger players.

It's so sad that it's come to this because I really wanted him to succeed.

And another thing. There had better be no return for Boyd, McGregor and Ferguson. Or Walter Smith for that matter. You don't walk out on your country.

blackhibee
15-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Although every international manager has to put up with it, to me Burley seems to have had a hell of a lot of players pulling out for one reason or another at almost every international he's been manager.He's sometimes made bad decisions tactically as well, but whether some like it or not he was quite right to ban Ferguson and McGregor for example. The result against Wales was down to defensive mistakes, pure and simple, and there's very little he could have done about it. It seems that the national team seems to need propping up every couple of years or so,it didn't work with Vogts but then McLeish and Smith get good results and everything's rosy, along with all the original 'injury-prone before international' brigade decide they want to be part of the bandwagon again. They'll probably sack Burley, get somebody else in who's maybe done the rounds, and virtually the same team will probably qualify for the next Euro's. I don't follow the Scotland team much, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm not proud of my country. I would love to see them do well, but a hell of a lot of things have to change in this country, in football terms, before we have anything like a good national team. Just my opinion of course.

camhibby1
15-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Agree that the team downed tools yesterday but ask yourself why. They had no confidence in the manager and he quite clearly hadn't a clue how to set up the team - picking the wrong players out of position are great tactics. The guy is utterly clueless - he comes over as weak and weary and has pandered to the SFA suits who to a man need to be wiped - including that joke of a chief executive. I assume he was in business speak Burley's line manager - if so 3out of 14 doesn't go so he should be sacked too. Clearly a 'judgement failure' on Smith's part.

What is happenong at the SFA is symptomatic of what is going on in other institutions - those in office, in 'power' covering their own backs and refusing to face their responsibilities. Incidentally I don't think we are entering a period of decline - we may well have troughed. That said the encouraging signs rest with the unde21's; someone who will not pander to the OF and who will institute a root and branch overhaul of the footballing side of things. Alongside this we need a chief executive who would institute a complete overhaul of the administration of football - get rid of the suits and the hangers on. For a small footballing nation do the administration need at least 15 - 20% of cup final tickets for examlpe. Strip out clubs allocations and you discover a hell of a lot of freeloaders. For football - John Collins. For administration - someone who does not live on the west coast and is a freemason. In many ways its the chief executive who needs to accept no bull**** more than the manager. Only an opinion but thank God Burley is on his way.

Hiber-nation
15-11-2009, 09:15 PM
George Burley will carry the can for this - and he hasn't made it easy for himself with some terrible statements, selections and decisions - but he has my sympathy. It's pathetic if he has to carry the can for the shambolic state of our game.

I'm not suggesting he was perfect but he achieved the same as the media darlings Smith and McLeish - qualification failure. At least with Burley he tried to have us passing the ball and attacking rather than sitting in hoping for one lucky break. He had to deal with The Daily Record's agenda, the pathetic behaviour of senior internationals (Boyd, Ferguson, McGregor etc), a total lack of cohesive support from Peat/Smith, a ridiculous fixture schedule and a group of players who (with some notable exceptions) simply downed tools on Saturday.

If he goes I'd like to wish him well for the future. At least he has an obvious passion for his national team that clearly isn't shared by every player (or some 'fans' when you look at the 'should Riordan chuck it?' thread).

For every mistake there has also been a positive and whoever the next manager is will at least benefit from him blooding younger players.

And another thing. There had better be no return for Boyd, McGregor and Ferguson. Or Walter Smith for that matter. You don't walk out on your country.

I backed him up to yesterday - and agree about the Daily ******'s agenda and also with your points about Ferguson & co - but persisting with Milller up front and the celtc defensive pairing yesterday was absolutely insane.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-11-2009, 09:17 PM
George Graham anyone? :thumbsup:

Betty Boop
15-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Walter Smith will get the job back.

ancient hibee
15-11-2009, 09:36 PM
That's the agenda isn't it.He'll bale out of Ibrox one step ahead of the posse and answer his country's call(in the absence of a better offer).

Don't know why we're all so upset about Saturday-how many games have we won there in the last 30 years again?

krobertson12
15-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Someone already mentioned it before, but Alex Miller as Assistant is a very good shout. Possibly, but probably not, alsong side Collins, or more likely Levein?

Miller said in an article when he moved to Japan, that he wanted to take a managers role at a smaller scottish club and develop good young footballers. The very sort of view many on here want the next Scotland coach to have. He is a man I would like involved in a future management team, but its not gonna be a popular theory.

Hibbie_Cameron
15-11-2009, 10:30 PM

Thats my hunch. I was disappointed in his departure but i would not complain if he was brought back

MountcastleHibs
15-11-2009, 10:54 PM
The thing is the manager's position is not the only thing that needs changing. The whole system, top to bottom of Scottish football needs to change. We are becoming a very backward nation football wise. If we can get rid of the Old Boys Club at the SFA and replace them with football minded people who actually care about the direction of Scottish football, and not just money making we may get more success.

It doesn't matter who becomes manager IF Burley goes, the same thing will happen to him as has happened to the previous managers, and the next few managers down the line.

We need to start building today, and that means getting rid of the SFA hierarchy, rebuilding our leagues to make them more competitive and worth something and just generally improve the conditions of the youth footballers (and I'm talking primary school level) to one which in years down the line, will reap the benefits.

The next Scotland manager should be viewed as a long term appointment, leading the rebuilding of the footballing world within Scotland. Not simply be appointed and expect/demand him to get us to 2012.

I fear that if nothing changes, Scotland will never qualify for a major finals again, and that is a very sad prospect indeed.

And as for who gets the job, I honestly do not know who would want it, nor who could put us into a position to becoming a decent footballing nation again.

Edit: Can I also point out I was right behind Mr Burley until yesterday when the fact that we had lost our last 4 games, scoring 0 conceding 12 was mentioned on Sky Sports. I believe he has done himself no favours with his team selection, and starting Kenny Miller over Fletcher was madness. I still think he has had a harsh deal, and things need to change above his head, but he has to take responsibility for the last 4 games.

basehibby
15-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Levein was my choice when Burley got the job. He sets his sides up the correct way, making sure the back is solid first. He has an eye for a player, and his players always seem to want to play for him. He wouldnt pander to the old firm, although this may stop him from getting the job

:top marks Of the up and coming managers Levein is the standout for me for the reasons you stated -
Collins - lacks experience and it showed in some of his transfer dealings at Hibs. Given that so much depends on selection at international level he'd be too much of a risky appointment for me.
Hughes - GTF he's going nowhere! Seriously I think that at this stage of his career he himself would maybe see it as coming too soon, although he'd undoubtably feel honoured if quoted. He's only just in the door at hibs and is unlikely to be going anywhere that soon IMO. Will become a serious contender for the Scotland job in future if he keeps on the way he's going though.
Foreign managers - we should be open minded about this but it shouldn't be seen as a panacaea - would have to get lucky with the right man being available at the right time and the right price to make it a worthwhile gamble.

There's a few more experienced contenders out there as well, some of whom would would no doubt make a better fist of it than Burley, but Levein would be the right man at the right time for me.

blackhibee
15-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Brilliant post, totally agree.:top marks

basehibby
15-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Someone already mentioned it before, but Alex Miller as Assistant is a very good shout. Possibly, but probably not, alsong side Collins, or more likely Levein?

Miller said in an article when he moved to Japan, that he wanted to take a managers role at a smaller scottish club and develop good young footballers. The very sort of view many on here want the next Scotland coach to have. He is a man I would like involved in a future management team, but its not gonna be a popular theory.

:top marks Miller has a wealth of experience and was a Champions League winner as No 2 with Liverpool. He's known for his meticulous approach to the game and would be a great asset to the Scotland coaching set up.

Levein/Miller dream team gets my vote :aok:

Toaods
15-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Levein didn't want the job........:wink:

Kato
15-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Souness would be a disaster - a cheque book manager out of touch with modern tactics.

Collins might do a job, at club level in Scotland his man-management techniques were woeful but without the day-to-day contact with players he might be the man.

Billy
15-11-2009, 11:39 PM

That's who I think the SFA will turn to. Will he turn his back on Rangers and take the Scotland job if asked? Personally, I think so.

rainman
15-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Souness would be a disaster - a cheque book manager out of touch with modern tactics.

Collins might do a job, at club level in Scotland his man-management techniques were woeful but without the day-to-day contact with players he might be the man.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

*****e man-manager so if we can find him a club with no players, he'll be perfect!

Kato
16-11-2009, 12:00 AM
It does occur to me, and indeed concern me that we are entering a period of decline.

Entering? Entering?

Scotland have been poor for the last 25 years, rubbish for the last ten and any good results we've had during that time have been done with backs to the wall football and huge slices of luck.

We've had two, at a push three, periods in the last 60 years where we've had decent teams all built from players who learned their football playng on the streets and any chances of them doing any damage have been scuppered by the people who are supposed to be charge, the SFA.

A successful International side comes a poor fourth to the SFA, behind making sure Rangers are OK, making Celtic are OK and making sure they get to wear a nice blazer with a badge on it abroad every few months. If they cared something would have been done post-Argetina, or post-Stein, or post-Berti or now. They don't actually care enough to do anything other than shuffle paper.

Kato
16-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Cheers.

NaeTechnoHibby
16-11-2009, 12:48 AM

I agree :thumbsup:

He's had one hellava poisioned chalice IMO :agree:

He's tried to change us to an attacking unit but sadly we are so short in the defence, and midfield, that it leaves us bare :bitchy:

Not entirely his fault, as he had to give some of the "performers" from the last two campaigns a chance sadly that didnae work oot :boo hoo:

FWIW I think he is a good manager :agree:

I wish him well :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
16-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Souness would be the only option for me.

To cut up my SSC card and send it back to Smith.

Steve-O
16-11-2009, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't shed too many tears if Walter Smith got the job back.

He's as well packing it in at a shambolic Rangers and he's already shown he can do better than Burley at international level.

As for John Collins, give me a break. He has worked as a manager for 1 year in his entire life and while he won a cup, we can't forget the whole revolt nonsense (who was to blame, I don't know) as well as the fact we were rank rotten by the time he left! He couldn't pick a player either, so not sure how he'd be any better than Burley at team selection.

Souness. I wouldn't be too bothered about that either way to be honest.

Rodsterino
16-11-2009, 06:06 AM
The SFA are a complete shambles. They defend him earlier today and say he's under no pressure. Hours later, they seem to be about to sack him (rightly by the way).

My memory is not the greatest but didn't the SFA have a meeting after the WC qualifiers and decide Burley WAS the right man to stick with..now after 2 rotten friendlies they may have changed their minds? Shambles indeed.

Hibbyradge
16-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Walter Smith? Please God forbid.

Has no-one been watching Rangers performances in Europe?

4 - 1 - 4 - 1 formations and 4-1 4-1 scorelines.

Utter negative drivel. And pish.

Is this what folk want for Scotland too?

Not to mention the fact that he walked away from his country as soon as something he felt was better came along.

Steve-O
16-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Not to mention the fact that he walked away from his country as soon as something he felt was better came along.

Aye but he did well the last time, that's what I am going on.

And yes he left, but at least we weren't left in the ******* as McLeish came along and did even better!

If I could think of anyone better, I'd say, but other than that moaning auld radge Fergie (Alex, not Sarah), I can't think of anyone.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Taking this thread onto a slightly different route, would anyone be partial to the Rep of Ireland approach, i.e bringing in a foreign coach with a wealth of experience and a pedigree a la Trappatoni?

Of course, it all went horribly wrong with Berti Vogts but he was quite simply a lunatic who would be more suited to a job at Tynie.

But could we push the boat out a bit and go for a technical coach like Trappatoni who hasn't been moulded into a pro-Old Firm prototype who will pander to the SFA?

Capello has come in and worked wonders with England, doing things his way. Trap looks like he's done the same with Ireland as well.

Just a thought.

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2009, 07:10 AM

I'm not suggesting he was perfect but he achieved the same as the media darlings Smith and McLeish - qualification failure.

At least with Burley he tried to have us passing the ball and attacking rather than sitting in hoping for one lucky break. He had to deal with The Daily Record's agenda, the pathetic behaviour of senior internationals (Boyd, Ferguson, McGregor etc), a total lack of cohesive support from Peat/Smith, a ridiculous fixture schedule and a group of players who (with some notable exceptions) simply downed tools on Saturday.

Arrant nonsense. I presume that you believe that a group with France, Italy, Ukraine, Lithuania and Georgia is of the same difficulty as Holland, Norway, Macedonia and Iceland? NB I am disregarding the Faroes from the first group because we were in the small group this time, which meant there was no micronation included.

I must have missed that game. How many goals have we scored under Burley???

500 Tartan Army "walked out on their country" after the second goal on Saturday.

Phil MaGlass
16-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I have to feel for Burley, but at the same time his selections have been pi55 poor, Danny f,n Fox in place of Wallace, McManus,Caldwell, cannae cut it at League level but can Internationally,WTF, as for persisting with Miller,why the hell did he call Deeks in if he was only going to give him 25 mins over 2 games. Hutton not even gettin a game at Spurs.There are umpteen young players who should be getting a call up for Scotland but it still seems if you have played for the OF you get a shoe in.
SFA GTF.

Sylar
16-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Had BBC Radio Scotland on in the car on my way up to Aberdeen this morning and Souness has categorically stated that he doesn't want the job, nor can he understand why any other manager of a decent pedigree would take it.

Not sure who would be a suitable replacement.

Phil MaGlass
16-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Taking this thread onto a slightly different route, would anyone be partial to the Rep of Ireland approach, i.e bringing in a foreign coach with a wealth of experience and a pedigree a la Trappatoni?

Of course, it all went horribly wrong with Berti Vogts but he was quite simply a lunatic who would be more suited to a job at Tynie.

But could we push the boat out a bit and go for a technical coach like Trappatoni who hasn't been moulded into a pro-Old Firm prototype who will pander to the SFA?

Capello has come in and worked wonders with England, doing things his way. Trap looks like he's done the same with Ireland as well.

Just a thought.

I honestly dont think getting a new manager from foreign shores would sort out our problems, we need to clear out the SFA completely and turn Scottish fitba inside out and start again, from the kids all the way up.Start at the kids first,give them facilities,pitches, showers and coaches who train to play and not to win,parents have to be taught and must understand that kids should be learning and not trying to win or being urged to break opponents legs. We need different levels of coaches for different ages. It works wonders in Holland and France ,although Im not comparing us to France/Holland as their infrastructures are far superior as to what we could dream of.
We have lost our pride and our face at International level for so long, whats another few years if we can rebuild from scratch. Sitting about hoping that everything will magically turn out for the good will not work. Fingers oot SFA

marinello59
16-11-2009, 07:35 AM

Are you forgetting that his swashbuckling Scotland side brushed France aside with a display of devestatingly attractive football. Football so sexy that Brazilians were renouncing their citizenship and claiming they had Scottish Grandmothers.

Steve-O
16-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Are you forgetting that his swashbuckling Scotland side brushed France aside with a display of devestatingly attractive football. Football so sexy that Brazilians were renouncing their citizenship and claiming they had Scottish Grandmothers.

You seem to forget that nobody gave a flying one about the style of the victory. It was a victory over France FFS! Followed by another one in similar style!

Yes it would be great if we could play like the Brazil side of 1970, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon so give me 'boring' 1-0 victories over France any day compared to the utter garbage on show just now.

Hibbyradge
16-11-2009, 07:40 AM
And yes he left, but at least we weren't left in the ******* as McLeish came along and did even better!

I don't understand your point.

You seem to be mitigating his betrayal by affording Smith some credit for the fact that someone else did well when he ran off to the huns.

Well done Walter. :confused:

Now that he's about to get punted by them for his failures,we should just give him another contract until such time something else which he thinks is better comes along?

It's funny how folk want us to tell the Old Firm to GTF after they unsuccessfully tried to dump us for the EPL, like a spouse scorned, but would welcome Smith back after he successfully entered another relationship.

Not for me. Scotland should have some self respect and not entertain the prospect.

I'm pretty certain Smith wouldn't have the audacity to apply for the job, so if he gets it, it will be the SFA who made the first move.

If I could think of anyone better, I'd say, but other than that moaning auld radge Fergie (Alex, not Sarah), I can't think of anyone.

Me neither. A decent foreign coach maybe.

Hibbyradge
16-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I honestly dont think getting a new manager from foreign shores would sort out our problems, we need to clear out the SFA completely and turn Scottish fitba inside out and start again, from the kids all the way up.Start at the kids first,give them facilities,pitches, showers and coaches who train to play and not to win,parents have to be taught and must understand that kids should be learning and not trying to win or being urged to break opponents legs. We need different levels of coaches for different ages. It works wonders in Holland and France ,although Im not comparing us to France/Holland as their infrastructures are far superior as to what we could dream of.
We have lost our pride and our face at International level for so long, whats another few years if we can rebuild from scratch. Sitting about hoping that everything will magically turn out for the good will not work. Fingers oot SFA

Maybe, but while that's happening however, we need a manager.

H18sry
16-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't understand your point.

You seem to be mitigating his betrayal by affording Smith some credit for the fact that someone else did well when he ran off to the huns.

Well done Walter. :confused:

Now that he's about to get punted by them for his failures,we should just give him another contract until such time something else which he thinks is better comes along?

It's funny how folk want us to tell the Old Firm to GTF after they unsuccessfully tried to dump us for the EPL, like a spouse scorned, but would welcome Smith back after he successfully entered another relationship.

Not for me. Scotland should have some self respect and not entertain the prospect.
I'm pretty certain Smith wouldn't have the audacity to apply for the job, so if he gets it, it will be the SFA who made the first move.

Me neither. A decent foreign coach maybe.

:top marks

hibsbollah
16-11-2009, 07:48 AM

:faf:
:top marksfor melodrama and a lack of perspective. We're not talking about selling defence secrets to Zimababwe. A professional player has a full time responsibility to his club; as has been mentioned already playing for your country is voluntary. Yes, it should be an honour in an ideal world but if a player considered he is being mucked around, having his career hampered by mismanagement why should he be criticised for saying no thanks? Paul Scholes lengthened his career significantlyby giving up on international football, but he's English and so isnt burdened by this need to be an uberpatriot 24/7 that sections of the tartan army seems to favour.

Mag7
16-11-2009, 09:09 AM

It's so sad that it's come to this [/B]because I really wanted him to succeed.

McLeish and Smith at least had the team looking like they might qualify, and from a far harder group than Burley. We never looked like qualifying under Burley from day one.

Big deal that he was passionate about Scotland. So are a lot of people but it doesn't make them great national managers.

Why is it sad that it has come to this? The only sad thing about it IMHO is that it has taken so long for Burley to be sacked. He was worse than Vogts.

YehButNoBut
16-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Good news for the anti Souness brigade, he has said in an interview on Sky Sports News that he has no interest at all in ther job and would not take it if offered as his life is going in other directions, probably means he will get the job. :wink:

Also said that Jim Jeffries is among the favourites for the job.

ScottB
16-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Just a thought.

How about Gerrard Houllier?

Experienced manager and crucially more or less built the French player development system. If given a free role he could redevelop our game.

In general, the concept of bringing in an experienced, top line coach is the way. Capello has broken England out of picking who the tabloids want and got them functioning as a team.

Hainan Hibs
16-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Good news for the anti Souness brigade, he has said in an interview on Sky Sports News that he has no interest at all in ther job and would not take it if offered as his life is going in other directions, probably means he will get the job. :wink:

Jesus Christ:bitchy:

Betty Boop
16-11-2009, 09:36 AM

:faf:

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Anyone know if he's available, we could do with a miracle or two.

:cool2:

marinello59
16-11-2009, 09:54 AM
You seem to forget that nobody gave a flying one about the style of the victory. It was a victory over France FFS! Followed by another one in similar style!

Yes it would be great if we could play like the Brazil side of 1970, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon so give me 'boring' 1-0 victories over France any day compared to the utter garbage on show just now.

I am forgetting nothing. At the time it was used as evidence that Scottish Football had somehow turned the corner, that the long slow decline towards mediocrity had somehow been halted. All thanks to the managerial ability of Walter Smith. It suggested nothing of the sort. The fact that the French team itself was entering a period of decay was totally overlooked. Scotland under Smith (and also Mcleish) were pretty poor.........what did we qualify for again?

YehButNoBut
16-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Jeffries 10/1 with most bookmakers but Ladbrokes have him as the 3/1 favourite.

Velma Dinkley
16-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Some people seem to think that if we get Darren Ferguson then his dad, Alex, might come in to lend a hand. Maybe there would be a similar situation if Jesus Christ was given a shot at managing the Scotland team.

I'm not saying Jesus would definitely want a job but it's got to be worth a shot. Either him or Jim Jeffries.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd go for 'Jeff'. When the you consider the the outgoing holder of the post's main qualifications, shambling, inarticulate, sour-faced Jambo ******, then he's the only man who comes even close to matching the personnel specification.

Go 'Jeff'!

If we're going for ex-Jambos, like get Potter in. Dopubt he'd be able to do much with the shambles of the national side, but at least it would weaken Dundee United and guarantee us third spot (unless Chrissy Nade finds his shooting boots!)

ScottB
16-11-2009, 10:40 AM
How seperatable is Levein from Dundee United? I was under the impression he now has a seat on the board?

JoeTortolanoFanClub
16-11-2009, 10:57 AM
My top preference would be John Collins as Manager with Alex Miller as Assistant. And it is not (just) because I am a Hibbee. I think they have the right combination of leadership, media and technical skills. :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
16-11-2009, 10:59 AM
How seperatable is Levein from Dundee United? I was under the impression he now has a seat on the board?

Not sure, but if he is then he can help choose a new coach..

Sylar
16-11-2009, 11:01 AM

That's almost as bad as the thought of Blobby Williamson! :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2009, 11:06 AM

He's made some ridiculous team selections, made horrendous decisions tactic wise, he cant speak to the press without coming across as off his tits on smack or booze, yet you feel sorry for him.:confused: If he cant get the very basics right, what chance does he have, and the team, whatevers gone on before he took the job?:confused: He's way out his depth, another Bertie vogts.

McHibby
16-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Anyone know if he's available, we could do with a miracle or two.

:cool2:

He said he's honoured to be named but he's got a birthday coming up and has a lot of commitments around this time of year. It's just not the right time for him.

Ed De Gramo
16-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Darren Ferguson :agree:

He worked wonders at P'Boro considering that intefering clown Barry Fry.

Gordon Smith needs to be punted at the same time as Burley...Smith is no more than a blue nose post match Analyser (and a bad one at that) :bye:

Caversham Green
16-11-2009, 11:13 AM

I thought that too, but he's not named as a director in their accounts.

CMac1988
16-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Taking this thread onto a slightly different route, would anyone be partial to the Rep of Ireland approach, i.e bringing in a foreign coach with a wealth of experience and a pedigree a la Trappatoni...

Capello has come in and worked wonders with England, doing things his way. Trap looks like he's done the same with Ireland as well...

So basically anyone who's in with a shout as the next Godfather? :wink:

Bad Martini
16-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I sincerely hope hurricane George pisses off/gets the boot and never darkens the managerial spot for the National Team again.

Right now, with the exception of Souness who will fall out with everyone in sight, I'd take almost anyone in place of Burley.

The 2 huns, whilst I don't like them and they ultimately shat on Scotland when we needed them, DID do a far better job for Scotland and we DID look like we qualify under them both.

We never looked like we could beat anyone under Burley and any wins we got were in SPITE of him, not because of him.

Burley GTF. He's passionaite about keeping his job, but he's useless. That doesny give him the right to keep his job ; fair dues, he's keen to stay but he's no up to the job and the sooner he goes, the better.

ENDOF

--------
16-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd settle for anyone who's sober, upright, and in his right mind - and NOT Graham Souness.

marinello59
16-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I'd settle for anyone who's sober, upright, and in his right mind - and NOT Graham Souness.

But why would anybody sober and in his right mind want the job?:greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
16-11-2009, 03:59 PM
:confused: How is that idiot still in a job:bitchy:

Col2
16-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Not for much longer. Sky are saying Sfa have met and announcement due within hour.

Dalkeith
16-11-2009, 04:18 PM
bbc radio scotland are saying it will be anounced shortly that he has left

CB_NO3
16-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Just out of interest, do you think Boyd and Ferguson etc will get back into the team when the new gaffer takes over.

OstKurve Hibs
16-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Just out of interest, do you think Boyd and Ferguson etc will get back into the team when the new gaffer takes over.

1 thing, it wouldnt be of any surprise if they did!:grr:

PaulSmith
16-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Tin hat on but for my country's sake I want the best players possible and having Ferguson is better than Don Cowie, MacGregor is 10 times the goalie that Marshall will ever be and Boyd is the best Scottish goal scorer around.

It was however the SFA that banned Ferguson and MacGregor and not the buffoon Burley so things might not change.

H18sry
16-11-2009, 04:36 PM
He's away :wink:

Barney McGrew
16-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Gone. Thank ****.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5699109,00.html

Landells
16-11-2009, 04:46 PM
on radio now, hes gone

Im listening to Kelly Clarkson - Already gone!! haha:thumbsup:

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 04:53 PM
It says it all when we were 14th in the world rankings when he took over and we are now 46th. You can say what you like about the ranking system, but that is some fall. :grr:

Bye Bye Yah Jambo Jakey!!!! :jamboak:

ScottB
16-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Because the SFA's behaviour through his tenure has been shocking.

Talking openly about his future during the campaign, dropping hints he'd be sacked, then keeping him in the job, but failing to defend him, the even more umming and ahhing over the weekend.

Yes, Burley didn't achieve, but the SFA's behaviour made damn sure he had little chance of doing so.

BigKev
16-11-2009, 05:00 PM
He should have been punted after the shocking display in Norway.

2 lucky wins over Iceland and one over Macedonia out of 14 games is a shameful record IMO.

I'm_cabbaged
16-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Talking openly about his future during the campaign, dropping hints he'd be sacked, then keeping him in the job, but failing to defend him, the even more umming and ahhing over the weekend.

Yes, Burley didn't achieve, but the SFA's behaviour made damn sure he had little chance of doing so.

:agree:

We need a clear out from the very top.

Right, who's the next mug going to be?

Someone who's been around the block, or.........

Someone who's ambitious and see's us as a stepping stone to a bigger job. :wink:

ancienthibby
16-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Indeedie! There will be no real change, nor any cause for celebration, until Messrs Peat and Smith follow Burley out the door!!

Hibbyradge
16-11-2009, 05:06 PM

I think the SFA were right to give him a chance to continue the improvements we saw in the last 2 WC games.

However, that failed to materialise so the axe was wielded.

2 friendlies lost, but no real harm done and plenty time for the new man (not Smith or Souness hopefully) to make his mark before the Euro qualifiers.

Broken Gnome
16-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Indeedie! There will be no real change, nor any cause for celebration, until Messrs Peat and Smith follow Burley out the door!!

:agree:

From the very moment Gordon Smith uttered the words that he 'didn't have Mark McGhee's phone number' to formally tell him of his failure to get the job it's been a total disaster. Pressley, Butcher, Hegarty, the Rangers four, constant mixed messages and undermining..... Even his treatment of Lee Wallace was a fitting end for him. Top to bottom disgraceful.

ScottB
16-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I think the SFA were right to give him a chance to continue the improvements we saw in the last 2 WC games.

However, that failed to materialise so the axe was wielded.

2 friendlies lost, but no real harm done and plenty time for the new man (not Smith or Souness hopefully) to make his mark before the Euro qualifiers.

Which is fair enough, but all the discussion that was held in public, on the eve of crucial games etc is compltely unacceptable and should have been in private.

That and their failure to properly back him, notably with Barry the Crab and his drinking buddies. The SFA high ups showed nothing other than covering themselves; vaguely backing him, vaguely hinting at the axe, all in public.

Would any of us do a good job at work if your boss was posting facebook updates saying he might sack you? Probably not.

Now is the time, we are a long way from a competitive match (couldn't care less about friendly matches) so this is the best opportunity we are likely to have to change things. Not that we will ever be rid of the SFA and their self interest love in.

BigKev
16-11-2009, 05:17 PM
A nice dream team of Darren Ferguson and Gary McAllister would get me a bit more excited than the prospect of Souness or Smith.

If Jim Jeffries even gets an interview it would show the depths to which we've fallen.

thekaratekid
16-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Souness has ruled himself out already apparently.

He would have been my choice.

Craig Levein then :agree:

hibztilltheend
16-11-2009, 05:27 PM
maybe a foreign manager

seems to have worked for Ireland:agree:

Cropley10
16-11-2009, 05:28 PM
How about Gerrard Houllier?

Experienced manager and crucially more or less built the French player development system. If given a free role he could redevelop our game.

In general, the concept of bringing in an experienced, top line coach is the way. Capello has broken England out of picking who the tabloids want and got them functioning as a team.

England go from one extreme to the other typically if you think back; Hoddle, Keegan, Sven, McLaren, Capello. They've paid a King's Ransom for Capello and you're spot on - he's stopped picking who the tabloids want and just gets on with it.

Problem is of course the SFA is all about self-interest and that means, most often, the OF's interests. Vogts showed them that going for a foreign, older, experienced guy didn't work - but I think you're right they should try again with someone from outside Scotland.

We can all say what we like about the SFA and George, but utlimately it was his selections and then results that did him in. If he'd picked some very obvious players to start on Saturday and they'd won the game for him we wouldn't be having this discussion. :greengrin

AlanRuff
16-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Burley sacked:bye: Dont let the door hit you on your way out georgyboy.

thekaratekid
16-11-2009, 05:56 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/hrit1f.jpg

In a Glasgow bar somewhere just now......

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 06:40 PM
...when everyone else in Scotland seemed to know this?

Perhaps it's the Smith's and Peat's of this world who should do the honourable thing and join him.

He ain't got it, but they never even had it in the first place.

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Perhaps it's the Smith's and Peat's of this world who should do the honourable thing and join him.

And the rest of the old boys club :agree:

There's no time like the present to overhaul the system from top to bottom.

To be fair to Mr Burley, his job wasn't made easy by issues at SFA level.. but he has to carry the can for poor decision making and not holding the dressing room together.

I was all for Burley staying on after the disastrous campaign, but the promises he made about developing and improving the fortunes have been absent in the last two games. We went backwards in Japan and Wales, and that is why I changed my opinion and Burley had to go.

As I said though, he's not the only one that has to take responsibility... the whole system is a mess.

Mag7
16-11-2009, 07:16 PM

Because the TARTAN ARMY booed Burley for the first time. Don't you know that when and only when this esteemed body decrees that you're allowed to be critical of Scotland does it become acceptable?

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Because the TARTAN ARMY booed Burley for the first time. Don't you know that when and only when this esteemed body decrees that you're allowed to be critical of Scotland does it become acceptable?

If that's the case and it took them so long, then the TA probably have the administrators, management and team they deserve. Are they all Yams? No wonder the rest of us struggle to maintain interest in this long-running farce.

BEEJ
16-11-2009, 09:37 PM
:agree: Arranging a meaningless friendly on the other side of the world is just one in a recent series of examples of SFA incompetence.

And the fixture list for the recent qualifying campaign had all the hallmarks of having been negotiated by a five-year old on Scotland's side of the table.

With all that ineptitude in the background, what manager worth his salt would possibly take this poisoned chalice next? :confused:

sleeping giant
16-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport)

I honestly can't see it posted on this board.

No doubt it is :greengrin

sh00byd00
16-11-2009, 09:57 PM
In other news... Man invents wheel.

Only joking, there is a thread further down. It's a bit ambiguous though in its description

Jonnyboy
16-11-2009, 10:03 PM
:agree: Arranging a meaningless friendly on the other side of the world is just one in a recent series of examples of SFA incompetence.

And the fixture list for the recent qualifying campaign had all the hallmarks of having been negotiated by a five-year old on Scotland's side of the table.

With all that ineptitude in the background, what manager worth his salt would possibly take this poisoned chalice next? :confused:

In defence of five year olds I reckon that's a bit harsh :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
16-11-2009, 10:07 PM
If that's the case and it took them so long, then the TA probably have the administrators, management and team they deserve. Are they all Yams? No wonder the rest of us struggle to maintain interest in this long-running farce.

Struggle to maintain interest in this long-running farce = Start thread on it, and rarely miss an opportunity to comment on the Scotland team and supporters.

:hmmm:

Jack
16-11-2009, 10:22 PM
The Giant is sleeping tonight :greengrin

sleeping giant
16-11-2009, 10:46 PM
The Giant is sleeping tonight :greengrin

I just got on :greengrin

Sorry folks.

Bad Martini
17-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Priceless...yer both all over the threads aboot Scotland yet both always rattle on about how much you just don't care aboot the Scotland team and rip the pish out the Tartan Army.

The TA areny all pissed up fuds with daft hats...I know lots of guys who pay a fortune to follow their country and have no stupidity aboot them at all...for the love of fitba and Scotland.

And aye, the fact the TA booed the erse tells ye something; they're pretty resistant to very much anything - Scotland fans are often tortured yet still SUPPORT their nation.....to piss them off to that, takes some doing.

So, if anyone's voice should be heard, the Tartan Army seem right up there as the ones to have the say.

MON THE SCOTS

Alicky Ranks
17-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Priceless...yer both all over the threads aboot Scotland yet both always rattle on about how much you just don't care aboot the Scotland team and rip the pish out the Tartan Army.

The TA areny all pissed up fuds with daft hats...I know lots of guys who pay a fortune to follow their country and have no stupidity aboot them at all...for the love of fitba and Scotland.

And aye, the fact the TA booed the erse tells ye something; they're pretty resistant to very much anything - Scotland fans are often tortured yet still SUPPORT their nation.....to piss them off to that, takes some doing.

So, if anyone's voice should be heard, the Tartan Army seem right up there as the ones to have the say.

MON THE SCOTS

I'd suggest that's EXACTLY what is stupid about them. Wasting a fortune on following a god awful team year in year out :wink:

'For the love of fitba'? Eh, what fitba? If you want to watch fitba, Scotland sure ain't the team to watch!

It's long been shown on this board that when it comes to the international scene there are plenty who are into the whole Scotland thing but also a large number who just ain't. But that's not necessarily because they 'just don't care'. A lot of folk I know feel strongly about Scotland, but have just got so fed up with the garbage we've been subjected to for so long that they feel more than justified in 'rippin the pish' out of the blind faith mantra peddled by the TA. We'll never get anywhere in a playing sense if the fans just toddle along regardless of the rubbish on the field.

Mag7
17-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd suggest that's EXACTLY what is stupid about them. Wasting a fortune on following a god awful team year in year out :wink:

'For the love of fitba'? Eh, what fitba? If you want to watch fitba, Scotland sure ain't the team to watch!

:greengrin

H18sry
17-11-2009, 05:55 PM

It's long been shown on this board that when it comes to the international scene there are plenty who are into the whole Scotland thing but also a large number who just ain't. But that's not necessarily because they 'just don't care'. A lot of folk I know feel strongly about Scotland, but have just got so fed up with the garbage we've been subjected to for so long that they feel more than justified in 'rippin the pish' out of the blind faith mantra peddled by the TA. We'll never get anywhere in a playing sense if the fans just toddle along regardless of the rubbish on the field.

And at 30 years of age using your philosophy why are you still supporting Hibs:confused:

Alicky Ranks
17-11-2009, 11:30 PM
And at 30 years of age using your philosophy why are you still supporting Hibs:confused:

Well since I moved overseas I ain't shelled out any money to watch them in months. But to address your point, in my time supporting Hibs I have seen us in six cup finals, winning two of them, while there have been a reasonable number of enjoyable seasons. Not great compared to fans lucky enough to have been around in the 50s, 60s and 70s but not consistent failure either. Unlike what the TA turn up to watch come rain or shine.

Bad Martini
18-11-2009, 11:05 AM

I don't follow Hibs or Scotland because I expect them to win every game or even be that good because we don't, and often, we're not. I do it, because it's the right thing to do.

Me, I dont give a **** if Hibs (or Scotland) never win another game from now til the day I die. I won't change my team choice nor my ability and willingness to declare the fact I follow them....

That DOESNT mean I am happy when we lose or when we're *****. Equally, Im not a glory hunter so ultimately I'll never stop following my teams....simple really.

Alicky Ranks
18-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't follow Hibs or Scotland because I expect them to win every game or even be that good because we don't, and often, we're not. I do it, because it's the right thing to do.

Me, I dont give a **** if Hibs (or Scotland) never win another game from now til the day I die. I won't change my team choice nor my ability and willingness to declare the fact I follow them....

That DOESNT mean I am happy when we lose or when we're *****. Equally, Im not a glory hunter so ultimately I'll never stop following my teams....simple really.

Well I do. I know what you're saying, but IMHO the whole loyalty thing can only be taken so far. Both Scotland and Hibs SHOULD have achieved more than they have and folk SHOULD feel entitled to stick the boot in if it's justified, rather than simply adopting a 'I support my team no matter what' mentality. For the first time I can recall in many years the Scotland fans actually booed the team and the manager last Saturday and I have no doubt that had a direct impact on the long overdue decision to sack Burley. There's little to be admired about staying aboard a sinking ship.

JimBHibees
18-11-2009, 12:36 PM

MON THE SCOTS

Totally agree. :agree:

Mag7
19-11-2009, 08:40 AM

Surely you jest a little there?

Bad Martini
19-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Surely you jest a little there?

No, I don't.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying Hibs/Scotland losing every game from now and forever more would please me in any way, shape or form. BUT, I can categorically state (much like fans of really bad teams who genuinely DO lose all the time think Elgin City :greengrin) should that happen, I've certainly got no intention of abandoning MY teams because they loose.

Fans follow the team regardless.

Glory hunters follow the team who wins.

Simple really, as I said. It's not a matter of choice, it's a matter of what's right and wrong. It's right to follow Hibs and Scotland. There is no alternative. :agree:

ENDOF