PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Falkirk now looking to sell Barr & Arfield (merged)

Dibben
15-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I see the sport section of the Scotland on Sunday claims that Falkirk are now looking to sell both these players in January and bring in around 6 players to help them avoid relegation (including quote form Falkirk chairman!). Could this open the way to bring in both while giving several players to Falkirk to bolster their squad - perhaps the likes of Nish, Rankin or Thicot? Along with cash to sweeten the deal.

Hopefully with the 1/2 ST's selling well, we may have the money to improve the offer for Arfield.

Time will tell!

BH.

CallumLaidlaw
15-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I suppose Arfield is definitely one for us for the next 2/3 seasons to fill Zemmamas boots. I still would like to see a left midfielder since galbraith isnt being given a shot, and a LB and/or CB

Toaods
15-11-2009, 02:33 PM
with the OF struggling, good timing by Falkirk IMHO.

They'll be hoping the OF move for certainly Arfield thus shoving the token offer HIbs will make needing to be increased.

Tyler Durden
15-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Having now signed the superior Liam Miller, I don't see the point in signing Arfield. Not sure he's any better than Wotherspoon.

If we're spending cash in January I'd much rather we went for Paul Caddis who is also in the papers today saying he's ready to give up on Celtic. He's out of contract in the summer aswell so sling them £2/300k and snap the boy up. Problem RB position solved.

Earl of Currie
15-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I see the sport section of the Scotland on Sunday claims that Falkirk are now looking to sell both these players in January and bring in around 6 players to help them avoid relegation (including quote form Falkirk chairman!). Could this open the way to bring in both while giving several players to Falkirk to bolster their squad - perhaps the likes of Nish, Rankin or Thicot? Along with cash to sweeten the deal.

BH.

I like the idea of using fringe players as makeweights in any deals with Falkirk. It is also rumoured that Caddis from Celtic is wanting to leave in January. He is definitely one who could come into the team and add value.

Wotherspiniesta
15-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Having now signed the superior Liam Miller, I don't see the point in signing Arfield. Not sure he's any better than Wotherspoon.

If we're spending cash in January I'd much rather we went for Paul Caddis who is also in the papers today saying he's ready to give up on Celtic. He's out of contract in the summer aswell so sling them £2/300k and snap the boy up. Problem RB position solved.

:agree: Caddis would be an excellent signing IMO

sixtwo
15-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Caddis is a great shout. I also think we could give killie £100k and nish for Kevin Kyle. He woul be an improvement on Nish and give us a different option to the strikers we already have.

Barr is a cert to come in January. Big Sol will be away for a month so we will need to have someone lined up to fill the cb slot.

If Sol has a good African nations tournament he might get the move to England that he wants!

Petrie's Tache
15-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Have said Caddis for a hwile now. Also Smith from Rangers and that allows Murray in to centre half next to Barr.:thumbsup: However Hanlon again won excellent praise for his performance last night, perhaps we do not need Barr at all.

Also want Galbraith in at LM, with Zemmama on the right.

Earl of Currie
15-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Have said Caddis for a hwile now. Also Smith from Rangers and that allows Murray in to centre half next to Barr.:thumbsup: However Hanlon again won excellent praise for his performance last night, perhaps we do not need Barr at all.

Also want Galbraith in at LM, with Zemmama on the right.

Let Hanlon go back on loan in January , this time as a centre half. When he starts next season he can go into the CH role for the first team.:hmmm:

Toaods
15-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Hanlon on loan to falkirk for 6 mths would suit all parties:

Falkirk get a good, hungry, young prospect.

Hanlon gets experience (likely be busy during his 90 minutes)

Hibs - get a player back with a bit more SPL gametime under his belt.

scoopyboy
15-11-2009, 04:01 PM
:agree: Caddis would be an excellent signing IMO

Depends how much Celtic would want.

As he is under 24 we would have to pay a transfer fee which is based on his salary.

18/03/07
15-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Caddis is a great shout. I also think we could give killie £100k and nish for Kevin Kyle. He woul be an improvement on Nish and give us a different option to the strikers we already have.

Barr is a cert to come in January. Big Sol will be away for a month so we will need to have someone lined up to fill the cb slot.

If Sol has a good African nations tournament he might get the move to England that he wants!
Barr is no a cert to come,he may be heading to the west to join the debt ridden huns

Dibben
15-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Hanlon to Falkirk on loan is a good shout, especially if he is slightly out the picture for the LB slot!

So thats Barr, Arfield, Kyle, Caddis & Smith all coming in with 2 or 3 fringe players leaving! Sounds no bad... :-)

BH.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Hanlon to Falkirk on loan is a good shout, especially if he is slightly out the picture for the LB slot!

So thats Barr, Arfield, Kyle, Caddis & Smith all coming in with 2 or 3 fringe players leaving! Sounds no bad... :-)

BH.

You have forgotten about Skacel and Voltz. Champions league here we come.:wink:

PISTOL1875
15-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Spot on there.. I don't see the point in signing Arfield either since we are fine in midfield.. A new RB is a must and it's quite likely that Barr will fill that role.. The only question is will it be in January or in the summer....

scoopyboy
15-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Spot on there.. I don't see the point in signing Arfield either since we are fine in midfield.. A new RB is a must and it's quite likely that Barr will fill that role.. The only question is will it be in January or in the summer....

I think Arfield is far better than John Rankin or Lewis Stevenson and I would take him in a minute. We need a squad not the bare minimum.

Agree regarding right back although not sure Yogi would plat Barr there.

Dibben
15-11-2009, 04:28 PM
You have forgotten about Skacel and Voltz. Champions league here we come.:wink:

:thumbsup:

BH.

hibeesteve
15-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Is it just me that thinks we shouldn't be spending alot of money on this guy??? Not often we have money to spend and I think we should spend it wisely! Just read that someone on here sees him as a long term replacement for zemmama!!

Seems that alot of people are judging him purely on over enthusiastic media coverage. As a Hibs fan living in Falkirk ive had the misfortune of being dragged to a few Falkirk games over the last couple of years and have seen enough of Arfield to say that hes a DECENT young player. Someone that will fight for the ball and has plenty of energy. Fair enough hes still young and has the opportunity to improve his game but I think spending alot of money on him would be foolish.

Be interesting to know whether any of you have seen him play more than once???

scoopyboy
15-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Is it just me that thinks we shouldn't be spending alot of money on this guy??? Not often we have money to spend and I think we should spend it wisely! Just read that someone on here sees him as a long term replacement for zemmama!!

Seems that alot of people are judging him purely on over enthusiastic media coverage. As a Hibs fan living in Falkirk ive had the misfortune of being dragged to a few Falkirk games over the last couple of years and have seen enough of Arfield to say that hes a DECENT young player. Someone that will fight for the ball and has plenty of energy. Fair enough hes still young and has the opportunity to improve his game but I think spending alot of money on him would be foolish.

Be interesting to know whether any of you have seen him play more than once???

I have seen him at least half a dozen times, either with Falkirk or Scotland under 21s. I rate him.

I don't think we will spend a lot of money on him, if an auction starts we will drop out.

It might be a last minute signing in January if at all.

mcfly
15-11-2009, 05:03 PM
we will never ever get a better chance to split the OF.

I'd like us to show a bit ambition, sign a centre half and it could be a great season.

the OF are struggling.....rangers will sign no-one and celtic will win nowt with mcmanus and caldwell at the back if they keep playing as well as they did yesterday.

whiskyhibby
15-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Hanlon on loan to falkirk for 6 mths would suit all parties:

Falkirk get a good, hungry, young prospect.

Hanlon gets experience (likely be busy during his 90 minutes)

Hibs - get a player back with a bit more SPL gametime under his belt.

Could not agree more......as long as we contract not to be available for the Hibs

:feed:

Stonewall
15-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Do we have money to spend though?

scoopyboy
15-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Do we have money to spend though?

As far as I'm aware no one has considered we may have to sell to cover the outlay for Stokes and Miller.

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-11-2009, 05:58 PM
we will never ever get a better chance to split the OF.

I'd like us to show a bit ambition, sign a centre half and it could be a great season.

the OF are struggling.....rangers will sign no-one and celtic will win nowt with mcmanus and caldwell at the back if they keep playing as well as they did yesterday.

Like signing Liam Miller and Anthony Stokes?

greenlex
15-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Problem? Wotherspoon is doing just fine and McCann is in the wings. If we sign a right back it will be for cover IMO with McCann on his way..

Judas Iscariot
15-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I think Arfield is far better than John Rankin or Lewis Stevenson and I would take him in a minute. We need a squad not the bare minimum.

Agree regarding right back although not sure Yogi would plat Barr there.

:agree:

Arfield is a tremendous prospect and would flourish in this Hibs team

erin go bragh
15-11-2009, 06:45 PM

hanlon has been playing superb at ch for the under 21s.
yogi will be well aware of it:wink:

Jack
15-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Like signing Liam Miller and Anthony Stokes?

I would like to see us get similar to these guys on pre-contract. Nothing against Barr and Arfield but that to me would be ambition.

millarco
15-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Problem? Wotherspoon is doing just fine and McCann is in the wings. If we sign a right back it will be for cover IMO with McCann on his way..

He's doing fine but he's wasted at right-back IMO. He was putting in MOTM performances at the start of the season in midfield. Wotherspoon on the right, push Zemmama more central and get Benji to fight it out with Stokes for a slot up front, with Riordan/Galbraith on the left.

monktonharp
15-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I love all this stuff,but are we not getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves? Yogi will obviously rate thes 2 young Falkirk guys,but the OF,PROBABLY der hun,will have their eye on them too. still it would be great to have so much options/cover for these positions. Just dont see the 2 aforementioned being at ER.

basehibby
15-11-2009, 09:24 PM
He's doing fine but he's wasted at right-back IMO. He was putting in MOTM performances at the start of the season in midfield. Wotherspoon on the right, push Zemmama more central and get Benji to fight it out with Stokes for a slot up front, with Riordan/Galbraith on the left.

:agree: It's great that Wotherspoon now has some experience under his belt at RB but what we really need is to strengthen the RB/CB options so as he can be freed up to compete for a midfield berth.

Barr would be able to cover both these positions and is highly rated so it would make a lot of sense to get him on board.
As for Arfield I could see that maybe happening if one or two were to go in the other direction along with the 300K quoted - that would likely include one of the midfielders currently on the fringe of things. Rankin? Stevenson? Any other likely candidates and would it actualy improve our squad???

ancient hibee
15-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Arfield a good prospect to sell on in 3 years-don't rate Barr at all -nightmare at right back against Celtic-then posted missing when McDonald scored after he went to centre half.

hibhib7
16-11-2009, 11:17 AM
He's doing fine but he's wasted at right-back IMO. He was putting in MOTM performances at the start of the season in midfield. Wotherspoon on the right, push Zemmama more central and get Benji to fight it out with Stokes for a slot up front, with Riordan/Galbraith on the left.Benji to fight it out with Stokes - It's hard to imagine Benji fighting it out with anyone; there's nae fight in the laddie.

Franck is God
16-11-2009, 11:58 AM
If I had my pick of players in the SPL Caddis and Arfield would definitely be on my radar.

I would probably only be looking to move on Rankin, Stevenson and Thicot in the next window simply because they will only ever be squad players and I don't see any of them forcing their way into the team.

my new year dream team, not bad in my opinion with a bit of strength on the bench too.

Maka/Stack

Caddis---Hogg---Bamba---Murray

McBride
Wotherspoon-------Miller

Zemmama----------------Riordan
Stokes

Subs

Maka/Stack
McCann
McCormack
Hanlon
Cregg
Arfield
Welsh
Galbraith
Benji
Nish

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Arfield, by all accounts, seems to be the business. Him and Wotherspoon in a Hibs midfield two or three years down the line...

Barr seems a decent enough defender, but I agree that we are under-utilising Hanlon and possibly McCormack, and I'm not sure our defence is the disaster in waiting that myself and some others on here believed earlier. Murray's re-emergence as a top-class Scottish defender and Hogg's return to form have allayed fears somewhat, and regarding the lack of height in the centre of the defence, Hanlon would indeed seem to be at least as promising a long-term option as Barr.

It's a strange season for Yogi, and for the rest of us in terms of our aspirations. What was supposed to be a transitional season is now being touted as a challenging one. I'm relieved that Yogi seems too wise to buy into this talk and I'm sure he and Rod will eschew the Yammish 'go-for-broke' philosophy and bring in who they want and at a price which isn't going to put the club in difficulty in these uncertain times.

The downside of the Huns financial issues and the continuing mediocrity of the Celtic central defence means that players like Barr are undoubtedly now on the OF radar unlike before, so I doubt he's the stick-on to arrive at ER that he perhaps was a few months ago.

MyJo
16-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Our squad is quite threadbare and we have been lucky so far with injuries and suspensions that the full squad has been available to Yogi almost every week but we're starting to see the niggling little injuries that will keep key players like Bamba, Zemmama. Miller or Riordan out for a week or two and with the card happy refs of the SPL it wont be long before players like Bamba, McBride, Nish and Murray encounter some suspensions as well, If we are serious about claiming third place for ourselves and giving the old firm a run for thier money then we need to get another couple of decent players in the door in january to give us some quality in reserve.

The players, Caddis, Barr, Arfield are quality players at a young age with proven SPL experience who we could sign for a little outlay.....maybe allow a few of the fringe players like Thicot, Stevenson, Cregg and Rankin to go if they get decent offers or use them as makeweights in negotiations with Falkirk and we can get three players who will, without question, improve the squad, give us a bit more strength in depth for the second half of the season, and can be developed into multi-million pound players at easter road over the coming seasons.

I dont know about anyone else but the prospect of a squad with Wotherspoon, Zemmama, Miller, Stokes, Arfield, Barr, Caddis, Riordan, Galbraith, Byrne, Murray and McBride after a couple of years together as a team is something i find myself getting rather moist about :devil:

CapitalHibs
16-11-2009, 01:35 PM
The 18 year old lad who tore Scotland a new one on Saturday (Aaron Ramsay?) is a product of the Arsenal Academy. When Yogi was at Falkirk, he seemingly had a good football relationship with Wenger, getting Stokes in on loan.

I hope that's a road Hibs might try again. Sure we were linked to Arsenal reserve right back Luke Ayling in the last transfer window, but there must be plenty of quality youngsters on the fringes of the EPL that could easily stand out at SPL level.

bobbyhibs1983
16-11-2009, 01:41 PM
The 18 year old lad who tore Scotland a new one on Saturday (Aaron Ramsay?) is a product of the Arsenal Academy. When Yogi was at Falkirk, he seemingly had a good football relationship with Wenger, getting Stokes in on loan.

I hope that's a road Hibs might try again. Sure we were linked to Arsenal reserve right back Luke Ayling in the last transfer window, but there must be plenty of quality youngsters on the fringes of the EPL that could easily stand out at SPL level.

Its a good shout imo:top marks

though i dont think we would get anywhere near the welsh boy but i ve said it in another thread i feel for alot of "bargins" i think looking in reserves could work
david murphy im sure was from i think middlesbourgh reserves?

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I really don't think we need Arfield. We have more priorities such as strengthening the defence and possibly getting a target man that can replace Nish just to give us something a bit different.

Barr would be a good signing even to replace Bamba when he's at the ACoN, and then leaves us in the summer:devil:

JimBHibees
16-11-2009, 02:26 PM

He was signed from Cardiff city 2 years or so ago.

Bob1875
16-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Arfield shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Zemamma never mind being touted as a replacement. Everyones been listening to the media a tad too much. He's not performed consistantly for a season.

The_Horde
16-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Arfield shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Zemamma never mind being touted as a replacement. Everyones been listening to the media a tad too much. He's not performed consistantly for a season.

Due to the players around him perhaps?

scoopyboy
16-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Would that not make him an ideal replacement for Zouma, for as much as I love watching him when he is on fire he also has not performed consistantly over a season.

HFC 0-7
16-11-2009, 02:47 PM
To compete you need a good team, but just as importantly we need a good squad.

People are saying we dont need certain players because we have better at the minute in the first 11, but what was evident from the derby is that we dont have good players outwith the starting 11. I say we should bring in as many players as we can that the structure allows.

Nish Out. . . . . . . . Kyle In
Cregg / Rankin out. . Arfield In
McCormack Loan. . . .Barr In
Hanlon Loan . . . . . . .Caddis In

I would also be tempted at having a go for Mulgrew.

Jack
16-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I really don't think we need Arfield. We have more priorities such as strengthening the defence and possibly getting a target man that can replace Nish just to give us something a bit different.

Barr would be a good signing even to replace Bamba when he's at the ACoN, and then leaves us in the summer:devil:

Not really wanting to shoot you down but with Yogi telling everyone that will listen that this is the best defensive start to the league Hibs have had since the mid 90s (???) and currently 3rd best in the SPL. They’ve had to mix it up a bit now and again and it still works. Perhaps strengthening the defence isn’t as much a priority as folk would have us believe.

While having young Wotherspoon freed from his defensive duties may be appealing the fact is, with the possible exception of Celtc, he has acquitted himself with honours and he very much fits into the style of play Yogi wants to play.

Our midfielder is playing their part offensively and defensively and it could be said there is less quality cover there than anywhere else on the pitch. Bring Barr in move Wotherspoon up? Move some of the lesser played midfielders on? Is Arfield worth £800k or more? Could we better use that money in the summer and get a Miller type player in, signed on a pre-contract for that sort of cash?

To me its our strikers have been the most disappointing having promised so much, at least on paper, and despite us having a decent goals total so far there's something not clicking. Move Benji and Nish on and bring ******** in.

HFC 0-7
16-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Not really wanting to shoot you down but with Yogi telling everyone that will listen that this is the best defensive start to the league Hibs have had since the mid 90s (???) and currently 3rd best in the SPL. They’ve had to mix it up a bit now and again and it still works. Perhaps strengthening the defence isn’t as much a priority as folk would have us believe.

While having young Wotherspoon freed from his defensive duties may be appealing the fact is, with the possible exception of Celtc, he has acquitted himself with honours and he very much fits into the style of play Yogi wants to play.

Our midfielder is playing their part offensively and defensively and it could be said there is less quality cover there than anywhere else on the pitch. Bring Barr in move Wotherspoon up? Move some of the lesser played midfielders on? Is Arfield worth £800k or more? Could we better use that money in the summer and get a Miller type player in, signed on a pre-contract for that sort of cash?

To me its our strikers have been the most disappointing having promised so much, at least on paper, and despite us having a decent goals total so far there's something not clicking. Move Benji and Nish on and bring ******** in.

I agree and disagree here.

I dont think we should be waiting until the summer to strengthen. This is a great opportunity for Hibs to do something this year. the old firm are having a bad time and not playing very well. Rangers have no cash and wont be buying. I think we should try and capatilise on this.

I agree the defense are doing quite a god job, but think we should still get a right back in to let wotherspoon get forward. He got forward a couple of times against hearts and nearly scored, if he is in midfield he will have more chances like that.

Also, I agree that maybe our forwards are the most under achieving part of the team based on goals, considering St Johnstone have scored the most goals this season outwith the old firm, but this could be down to service from midfield. I think bolster the squad now and see what Yogi can do!

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I agree with you totally on the strikers. Part of the what I said in my original response was about strikers.

However, it would be naive to suggest we don't need to strengthen at the back. Past our current back four I think we lack depth. We need at least a right back and a centre back in in January, and I believe Yogi will move for players in these positions.

Midfield is the last position we need to strengthen, we're overrun with players who can play there.