PDA

View Full Version : Wales 3 -Scotland 0

hibeesteve
15-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Losing 3-0 to Wales is an embarrasing result for Scotland. Even worse when you consider that Wales were arguably missing their best players in Bellamy, Davies and Collins. Scotland had almost a full strength squad.

I can't understand the decisions George Burley made.

1. Steven Fletcher not starting up front. Fletcher is by no means the finnished article but he is starting week in week out in the premiership and scoring goals. Surely he needs more international experience under his belt as well. He looks set to be our main striker for years to come so why not start him?

2. Fox on for Wallace. Fox wouldn't be playing for Scotland if he was still at coventry. I think hes an decent player but I rate Wallace a bit higher. Wallace should have started shouldn't he?

3. Why isnt Berra starting? He again is not the finnished article but hes playing regularly in the premiership. He needs to start more internationals to gain experience and become more comfortable in the side.

4. Kevin Kyle getting on the pitch. Realistically is he going to be a starting striker for Scotland at any point in the future? Why not give a younger guy a shot!!

CalgaryHibs
15-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I cannae beleive we've lost to Wales as well?

Why on earth are playing them in the first place?

truehibernian
15-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Keep results like this coming IMO. To put a positive spin on things, it can only hasten the departure of Burley, get the common fan and pundit wanting direct action against the likes of Peat and Smith (who appoint dullards like Burley), and gets the media asking serious questions about the grass roots game. The football world has evolved and Scotland have stood still, hence we are where we are. I gave up on the national side a good while ago because all we really offer (at times) is guts and fight. There is no technique (other than the glimpses from McFadden), there is no guile or flair, there is no arrogance about our game anymore (a la Souness). They are frightened rabbits led by sheep. The minute they come across a team with pace and skill they will get pumpetty pump pumped. We were never wolrd beaters in the 80's and 90's (I exclude the 70's because we genuinely had a good team at that time compared to other nations), but we had players like Hendry, Souness, Jordan, McQueen, Collins,McStay, McCoist and Dalglish who would lead from the front and not be afraid to face up to the leading nations. They were also led by managers who knew our limitations and played to our strength. Roxburgh and Brown were by no means Capello or Mourinho, but they knew the cards they were dealt and they played accordingly. Burley just simply has not got a clue, lost the dressing room ages ago, and has/commands no respect from his team or those around him. He is fast becoming the Scottish "Vogts" with his desire to blood players like Fox, when a perfect player to fill that role is young Wallace. Hutton hasn't played for Spurs, yet walks into the RB slot. McManus has been openly lambasted by Mowbray, and Celtic have conceded loads of goals this season, yet he strolls into the CH slot. Is Don Cowie an international player ? Why not swallow some pride and recall Boyd ? And why take Riordan to two friendlies and play him for 30 minutes combined ? Do you think if Fergie or Souness were in that dressing room at half time yesterday, the players would have come out with such an inept second half showing ? Respect and confidence in the manager has gone. Paul Hegarty as a national assistant coach FFS :bitchy: Aye, appointments like that fairly inspire players eh :faf:

ancient hibee
15-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Once he picked 3/4s of last week's Celtic defence it was pretty obvious what would happen.

Incidentally is that a wig Hegarty wears or just a peculiar dyed job?

heretoday
15-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Am I alone in not giving a flying thingummy about Scotland?

RoslinInstHibby
16-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Losing 3-0 to Wales is an embarrasing result for Scotland. Even worse when you consider that Wales were arguably missing their best players in Bellamy, Davies and Collins. Scotland had almost a full strength squad.

I can't understand the decisions George Burley made.

1. Steven Fletcher not starting up front. Fletcher is by no means the finnished article but he is starting week in week out in the premiership and scoring goals. Surely he needs more international experience under his belt as well. He looks set to be our main striker for years to come so why not start him?

2. Fox on for Wallace. Fox wouldn't be playing for Scotland if he was still at coventry. I think hes an decent player but I rate Wallace a bit higher. Wallace should have started shouldn't he?

3. Why isnt Berra starting? He again is not the finnished article but hes playing regularly in the premiership. He needs to start more internationals to gain experience and become more comfortable in the side.

4. Kevin Kyle getting on the pitch. Realistically is he going to be a starting striker for Scotland at any point in the future? Why not give a younger guy a shot!!

disagree about Kyle, not everyone cup of tea but the guy is playing every week and scoring goals, players should be picked on form, and at the moment thats guys Like Kyle, Riordan & Fletcher.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 08:55 AM

Maybe that was almost a full strength squad in the Jakey Jambo's mind, but Marshall is not No1 choice keeper. Wallace [spit] is much better than Fox and so is Ian Murray. Murray is also infinitely better than Caldwell and McManus. And who on earth thinks that Dorrans and Cowie are first choice in midfield? One spent most of his career to date at Ross County and the other at Livi. Dorrans has made only 18 appearances fro WBA and Cowie 24 for Watford. I know there were some injuries to some key players but there is no way that was either a full strength squad/team or even the best available.

The team that finished the game was infinitely better than the one that started, its only a shame we didn't have 2 Centre Halves on the bench and the option of 2 more subbie.:grr: