Barry Robson
Kris Commons

Strikers:
Steven Fletcher
James McFadden
Derek Riordan
Ross McCormack
Garry O'Connor

Starting with 24 players might be the only way we'd have a chance just now:greengrin

Ed De Gramo
14-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Mines would be.

GK:
Craig Gordon
Neil Alexander
David Marshall

Defenders:
Allan Hutton
Steven Whittaker
Stephen McManus
Gary Caldwell or Darren Barr
Christophe Berra
Ian Murray
Charlie Mulgrew
Lee Wallace

Midfields:
Scott Brown
James Morrison
Darren Fletcher
Paul Hartley
Kevin Thomson
Scott Robertson
Barry Robson
Kris Commons

Strikers:
Steven Fletcher
James McFadden
Derek Riordan
Ross McCormack
Garry O'Connor

Is that for Home games? GO'C's mysterious injuries always appear for Away games :wink:

Hibbyradge
14-11-2009, 10:00 PM
There would be a lot of players turning their backs on Scotland when they didn't get even 10 mins on the pitch. :wink:

millarco
14-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Neil Alexander

Alan Hutton
Steven Whittaker
Daniel Fox
Lee Wallace
Gary Caldwell
Steven McManus
Christophe Berra
Andy Webster

Darren Fletcher
Scott Brown
James Morrison
Kevin Thomson
Robert Snodgrass
Graham Dorrans
Shaun Maloney
James McFadden

Steven Fletcher
Garry O'Connor
Ross McCormack
Steven Naismith

Leaving the likes of Darren Barr, Steven Caldwell, Kris Commons, Scott Robertson, , Charlie Adam, Craig Mackail-Smith, George Boyd, Kenny Miller, Riordan, Chris Iwelumo etc for places in the squad. There's probably ones missed as well.

I don't think the pool of players is too bad, it's just getting everyone fit, motivated and in the correct system. Unfortunately it seems that Burley isn't the man for that.

Judas Iscariot
14-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Squad/Team :hmmm:

yekimevol
15-11-2009, 04:26 PM
manager
Graeme Souness or
Walter Smith

GK
Gordon
Marshall
Allan McGregor

Def
Ross Wallace
Steven Whittaker
Alan Hutton
Davie Weir
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Stephen McManus

Mid
Scott Brown
Kevin Thompson
Darren Fletcher
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Paul Hartley
Scott Robertson
Danny Swanson

Att
James Mcfadden
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Conner
Kris Boyd
Kevin Kyle
Ross McCormack

i know i'll get slated for

A) boyd and mcgergor but i think we need them.
B) for changing the manager

Rory89
15-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Our best 11:

Gordon

Hutton Caldwell Webster Wallace

Brown Fletcher Thomson McFadden

Boyd Fletcher

Sylar
15-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Craig Gordon

Hutton Berra Wallace

Whittaker Fletcher Brown

McFadden

S.Fletcher Boyd

Gordon: By far our most consistent goalkeeper who has an all-round element to his game, which the likes of Marshall and Langfield are missing. Were I in Burley's shoes however, Alexander would be in the squad at Clangfield's expense.

Hutton: Don't think many would argue - he's solid in the challenge and is brilliant at breaking forward.

Caldwell: Has a youth and pace which the other CB's are missing in McManus and Weir - I don't think Barr is experienced enough YET to fill this berth - Caldwell is prone to the odd howler, but is the better fit than those others mentioned for me.

Berra: Same as Caldwell - plays at a reasonable level and doesn't look out his depth at Wolves.

Wallace: Is Scottish (unlike his rival in Fox) and is a better all round player for me - Fox has better balls into the area, but was beaten too easily on occassion yesterday. Wallace is hard tackling and good at getting forward.

Whittaker: Hard midfielder who can drive, hold up, pick a pass and rifle shots in on goal when the chance permits - did he play alongside Hutton before his move to Spurs? If so, would be good knowledge of each others positioning.

Fletcher: We NEED someone who can break up play and hold that midfield role - I'm nowhere near a fan of Fletcher for Scotland, as he's usually a sodding enigma, but with the correct surrounding personnel I think he would be vastly improved.

Brown: Drives forward, is committed, can score goals, hard tackler, noises up opposition players. Definition of a midfield dynamo.

McFadden: I don't like him as a striker - he's a creative midfield player, who can drop off, pick up a pass and beat a few players to create an opening.

Boyd: His scoring ratio at club and country is impressive, and, although he may only appear to score goals against "smaller opposition", I think he'd thrive with good coaching and surrounding players. A typical poacher, which is something Scotland are missing.

Steven Fletcher: Knows his way to goal, has good physical presence and can use his turn of pace to good effect.

fife hfc
15-11-2009, 05:15 PM
manager
Graeme Souness or
Walter Smith

GK
Gordon
Marshall
Allan McGregor
Def
Ross Wallace
Steven Whittaker
Alan Hutton
Davie Weir
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Stephen McManus

Mid
Scott Brown
Kevin Thompson
Darren Fletcher
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Paul Hartley
Scott Robertson
Danny Swanson

Att
James Mcfadden
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Conner
Kris Boyd
Kevin Kyle
Ross McCormack

A) boyd and mcgergor but i think we need them.B) for changing the manager

should never play for Scotland again even if we have to field a team of under 19s they do not give a **** about Scotland or the fans and it will be a very sad day if they ever come back into the squad. It will be the day I stop caring about Scotland.

HFC93
15-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Starting 11

Gordon

Hutton Webster Berra Wallace

McCormack Brown Fletcher

Fletcher Boyd McFadden

subs
McGregor
McManus
Murray
Thomson
Commons
Riordan
O'Connor

Miller and Caldwell would never be in a squad again!

Hibernian Verse
15-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I'd add Boyd to the strikers...oh wait we can't because someone with a 1 in 2 goal ratio at international level wasn't good enough for Burley. :asshole:

Hibercelona
15-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I'd add Boyd to the strikers...oh wait we can't because someone with a 1 in 2 goal ratio at international level wasn't good enough for Burley. :asshole:

:agree:

Disagreed with Boyd walking out like that.

But Burley is a complete fandan not to have played him more often.

fife hfc
15-11-2009, 07:25 PM

appears not to be good enough for the huns in their so called big matches so Walter Smith must be an :asshole: as well. Numerous managers have not used Kris Boyd in big games, they can't all be wrong.

Hibercelona
15-11-2009, 07:26 PM
appears not to be good enough for the huns in their so called big matches so Walter Smith must be an :asshole: as well. Numerous managers have not used Kris Boyd in big games, they can't all be wrong.

Would you say he wasn't? :wink:

fife hfc
15-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I would say he was one. But unlike Burley appears to be respected for some reason:greengrin and he still thinks Boyds a huddy.

Scotthibs1875
15-11-2009, 07:53 PM
manager
Graeme Souness or
Walter Smith

GK
Gordon
Marshall
Allan McGregor

Def
Ross Wallace
Steven Whittaker
Alan Hutton
Davie Weir
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Stephen McManus

Mid
Scott Brown
Kevin Thompson
Darren Fletcher
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Paul Hartley
Scott Robertson
Danny Swanson

Att
James Mcfadden
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Conner
Kris Boyd
Kevin Kyle
Ross McCormack

A) boyd and mcgergor but i think we need them.
B) for changing the manager
Graeme Souness or Walter Smith as manger. You are joking! Both stupid hun *******s! And as for Davie Weir :bitchy:

Bishop Hibee
15-11-2009, 07:54 PM
On current form, regular first team football and assuming full fitness:

Gordon

Whittaker Berra Webster Wallace

Brown D Fletcher Thomson McFadden

S Fletcher Naismith

Time to build for the future. Scotland still don't have a natural right sided midfielder though. Cue a certain D Wotherspoon in the next qualifying campaign :agree:

millarco
15-11-2009, 07:56 PM

Just like Smith and McLeish before him. Boyd still doesn't get a look in for Rangers in Europe til they're 4-1 down.

Winston Ingram
15-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Craig Gordon

Hutton Berra Wallace

Whittaker Fletcher Brown

McFadden

S.Fletcher Boyd

Gordon: By far our most consistent goalkeeper who has an all-round element to his game, which the likes of Marshall and Langfield are missing. Were I in Burley's shoes however, Alexander would be in the squad at Clangfield's expense.

Hutton: Don't think many would argue - he's solid in the challenge and is brilliant at breaking forward.

Caldwell: Has a youth and pace which the other CB's are missing in McManus and Weir - I don't think Barr is experienced enough YET to fill this berth - Caldwell is prone to the odd howler, but is the better fit than those others mentioned for me.

Berra: Same as Caldwell - plays at a reasonable level and doesn't look out his depth at Wolves.

Wallace: Is Scottish (unlike his rival in Fox) and is a better all round player for me - Fox has better balls into the area, but was beaten too easily on occassion yesterday. Wallace is hard tackling and good at getting forward.

Whittaker: Hard midfielder who can drive, hold up, pick a pass and rifle shots in on goal when the chance permits - did he play alongside Hutton before his move to Spurs? If so, would be good knowledge of each others positioning.

Fletcher: We NEED someone who can break up play and hold that midfield role - I'm nowhere near a fan of Fletcher for Scotland, as he's usually a sodding enigma, but with the correct surrounding personnel I think he would be vastly improved.

Brown: Drives forward, is committed, can score goals, hard tackler, noises up opposition players. Definition of a midfield dynamo.

McFadden: I don't like him as a striker - he's a creative midfield player, who can drop off, pick up a pass and beat a few players to create an opening.

Boyd: His scoring ratio at club and country is impressive, and, although he may only appear to score goals against "smaller opposition", I think he'd thrive with good coaching and surrounding players. A typical poacher, which is something Scotland are missing.

Steven Fletcher: Knows his way to goal, has good physical presence and can use his turn of pace to good effect.

10 players, would probably play 11 masel :wink:

millarco
15-11-2009, 08:12 PM
10 players, would probably play 11 masel :wink:

He's got it spot on, we're playing with both Craig and Gordon in the goal.:wink:

thebakerboy
15-11-2009, 09:02 PM
looking at all the suggestions for players for the Scotland team on here and in the Media to me having been to most of the home games and at the PBS does nobody think that that maybe as I see it the best Scottish midfielder playing in the SPL at the present time , does kevin McBride not deserve an honourable mention or maybe even a call up before mediocre English Championship players.:notworthy:

500miles
15-11-2009, 09:13 PM
........................Gordon
.Hutton..McManus.........Berra.Whittaker
..............D.Fletcher....Robson
.....................McFadden
..Brown...........S.Fletcher........Riordan

We need to get Riordan in this team. He has really grown as a player under Yogi. To me he has added, not a headless chicken act which would have just been counter productive, but solid work ethic, which genuinely adds to his game.

ancient hibee
15-11-2009, 09:21 PM
The set up is all wrong-we should play 3 centre backs.5 midfield(2 wide and 3 in a centre triangle)and 2 strikers.

Hiber-nation
15-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I'd play Berra every time over either of the chuckle brothers and Fletcher up front as both are performing well in the Premiership.

But other than dropping Kenny Miller for good I've no idea what the answer is other than a new manager.

Hiber-nation
15-11-2009, 09:27 PM
The set up is all wrong-we should play 3 centre backs.5 midfield(2 wide and 3 in a centre triangle)and 2 strikers.

Who plays 3 centre backs these days though? Craig Brown did it with a far better quality of player and it was mind-numbing. In fact the 2 wide midfielders were invariably centre backs as well!

ancient hibee
15-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Who plays 3 centre backs these days though? Craig Brown did it with a far better quality of player and it was mind-numbing. In fact the 2 wide midfielders were invariably centre backs as well!
So it was but I believe we actually qualified for a few tournaments.Play to our strengths-or at least to try to cover our weaknesses.

Hibernian Verse
15-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I would say he was one. But unlike Burley appears to be respected for some reason:greengrin and he still thinks Boyds a huddy.

It's the smaller games we struggle in. So therefore Boyd should be in the team IMO.

Macedonia, Norway etc

J-C
15-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Murray
Wallace

Whittaker/Thomson
Brown
D Fletcher
McFadden

S Fletcher/Boyd
O'Connor/Riordan

subs
McCormack
Boyd
McManus
Commons
Webster
Barr
Morrison
Iwelumu
McGregor

heretoday
15-11-2009, 10:30 PM
My Scotland team would be all the Hibs guys who were born in Scotland.

They'd wipe out the opposition.

Marabou Stork
16-11-2009, 01:31 AM
So it was but I believe we actually qualified for a few tournaments.Play to our strengths-or at least to try to cover our weaknesses.

'Play to our strengths' implies that there's a decent Scottish centre-half knocking about.

HibeeUnderwood
16-11-2009, 11:04 AM
If it was a squad of 26, then my team would be

GKs

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Neil Alexander

DFs

Alan Hutton
Stephen McManus
Christophe Berra
Charlie Mulgrew
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Darren Barr

MFs

Darren Fletcher
Scott Brown
Kevin Thomson
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Barry Robson
James McFadden
Steven Naismith
Paul Hartley

CF's

Steven Fletcher
Garry O'Connor
Derek Riordan
Ross McCormack
Kris Boyd
Chris Iwelumo

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 11:10 AM

GKs

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Neil Alexander

DFs

Alan Hutton
Stephen McManus
Christophe Berra
Charlie Mulgrew
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Darren Barr

MFs

Darren Fletcher
Scott Brown
Kevin Thomson
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Barry Robson
James McFadden
Steven Naismith
Paul Hartley

CF's

Steven Fletcher
Garry O'Connor
Derek Riordan
Ross McCormack
Kris Boyd
Chris Iwelumo

If the squad was of 26, that would be your squad, not your team. Pay attention young Skywalker. People on this thread have already been pulled up for this faux pas.....:greengrin

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 11:12 AM

GKs

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Neil Alexander

DFs

Alan Hutton
Stephen McManus
Christophe Berra
Charlie Mulgrew
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
Darren Barr

MFs

Darren Fletcher
Scott Brown
Kevin Thomson
Kris Commons
James Morrison
Barry Robson
James McFadden
Steven Naismith
Paul Hartley

CF's

Steven Fletcher
Garry O'Connor
Derek Riordan
Ross McCormack
Kris Boyd
Chris Iwelumo

BTW Hartley is past it and Iwelumo is hopeless. :cool2:

Bad Martini
16-11-2009, 11:41 AM

That's pretty much my team - no sure about Robson and I'd have Murray in there too with Boyd in the team or on the bench, but other than that, a good shout. :agree:

Note: they key is to play players who are playing WELL for their clubs (or even playing) and to play them AS they play for their clubs or at least, where they have been known to and ABLE to play.

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 11:52 AM
That's pretty much my team - no sure about Robson and I'd have Murray in there too with Boyd in the team or on the bench, but other than that, a good shout. :agree:

Note: they key is to play players who are playing WELL for their clubs (or even playing) and to play them AS they play for their clubs or at least, where they have been known to and ABLE to play.

That's a bit radical...........You may have taken that too far! :greengrin

HibeeUnderwood
16-11-2009, 01:37 PM
That's a bit radical...........You may have taken that too far! :greengrin

Lets see your squad then Mr Big Man! :greengrin

for me the starting XI

GK Gordon

DR Hutton
DC Berra
DC McManus
DL Mulgrew

MR Fletcher
MC Brown
MC Thomson
ML McFadden

ST O'Connor
ST Fletcher

hibbie02
16-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Lets see your squad then Mr Big Man! :greengrin

for me the starting XI

GK Gordon

DR Hutton
DC Berra
DC McManus Ian Murray
DL Mulgrew Lee Wallace

MR Fletcher
MC Brown
MC Thomson
ML McFadden Derek Riordan

ST O'Connor Ross MacCormack
ST Fletcher

Changes suggested. I would interchange the 5 front options as required. Happy nooo?

BigKev
16-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Saturday fair showed us up for the lack of quality we have at international level but my starting X1 would be :

Gordon

Hutton - Berra - Barr - Wallace

Brown - Fletcher - Thomson - McFadden

------------Fletcher--------------

--------------Boyd---------------

McManus, Caldwell and Miller just need to turn up under Burley to guarantee themselves a game despite being way out of form all season. (Barr Miller's two against the lesser greens.)

McCormack, Deeks, GO'C, Mulgrew, Dorrans, Kevin McDonald, Whittaker and others such as Murray and Wotherspoon would certainly be given the opportunity to play against the Czech's come March.

The_Sauz
16-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I would have though a Mr K McBride would have been in with a shout for a call up :wink:

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 06:38 PM

We need to get Riordan in this team. He has really grown as a player under Yogi. To me he has added, not a headless chicken act which would have just been counter productive, but solid work ethic, which genuinely adds to his game.

You saying something positive about Riordan... Think I need to take a seat :wink:

My team would look like this:

.............................Gordon

Hutton.........McManus..........Berra.........Whit taker

...................Thomson.....D. Fletcher

......Brown.............McFadden...........Riordan

..........................S. Fletcher

Subs: McGregor, Robson, McCormack, Murray, Wallace, Boyd, Naismith

I think that team would be strong in both defence and attack, with creative players and goalscorers coming off the bench and a decent defender in there if you're looking to shore up.

500miles
16-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I would have though a Mr K McBride would have been in with a shout for a call up :wink:

The guy playing his role is Darren Fletcher, our captain and the one who plays at the highest level.

In my above post I actually had the way that Yogi sets up his "Mavericks" in mind. McFadden playing the creative role, with Brown in his most devastating position, Fletcher with his height and link up play, and Riordan's goals.

Boyd should never be anywhere near the Scotland set up again, took the hump because he can't get a game for Scotland, but is happy to sit on the bench for the huns? I'll never support him in a Scotland shirt.

500miles
16-11-2009, 09:39 PM
You saying something positive about Riordan... Think I need to take a seat :wink:

My team would look like this:

.............................Gordon

Hutton.........McManus..........Berra.........Whit taker

...................Thomson.....D. Fletcher

......Brown.............McFadden...........Riordan

..........................S. Fletcher

Subs: McGregor, Robson, McCormack, Murray, Wallace, Boyd, Naismith

I think that team would be strong in both defence and attack, with creative players and goalscorers coming off the bench and a decent defender in there if you're looking to shore up.

I think you'll find I always praise and defend players that are making a real attempt to achieve and maintain thier full potential. Yogi has got that out of Deek, when Blobby ,TM, Strachan and Mixu couldn't.

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I think you'll find I always praise and defend players that are making a real attempt to achieve and maintain thier full potential. Yogi has got that out of Deek, when Blobby ,TM, Strachan and Mixu couldn't.

Fair enough :thumbsup:... for what it's worth I agree with you.

Regina Phalange
16-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Gordon
Marshall
Alexander

Hutton
Whittaker
L. Wallace
Fox
Berra
Webster
Barr
McManus

D. Fletcher
Brown
Thomson
Adam
Dorrans
Morrison
Maloney

S. Fletcher
McCormack
McFadden
Naismith
Kyle
O'Connor

aussie_hibee
17-11-2009, 04:42 AM
4-4-2
gordon
whittaker berra webster murray
d.fletcher brown thomson riordan
g.o'c s.fletcher

2 strong, fit, tall full backs that are good on the ball.
D.Fletcher to sit more out wide, give width but play more as a conventional wide midfielder than a winger. This will give balance as Riordan would be a main attacking outlet. Thomson and Brown would thrive together in the middle and Thomson's discipline to sit and hold allows Brown to roam forward.
S.Fletcher to drop in to the hole and be the link as well as cutting off the supply to any opposing playmakers defensively. GOC as the target.

Subs.
Alexander

Wallace
McManus
Hutton

Maloney
Robson

Kris Boyd

Due to having Whittaker, Murray and Riordan who are all versatile, I don't need as many midfielders or attackers on the bench.
D.Fletcher could go central with Maloney going wide or Riordan could go up top or even if need be, Whittaker or Murray could push in to midfield.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2009, 09:15 AM
1 anyone but a hun.
2 anyone but a hun.
3 anyone but a hun.
4 anyone but a hun.
5 anyone but a hun.
6 anyone but a hun.
7 anyone but a hun.
8 anyone but a hun.
9 anyone but a hun.
10 anyone but a hun.
11 anyone but a hun.

subs anyone but a hun.

lumbo_hfc
17-11-2009, 06:41 PM

Good shout i would say with the players we have available!

We aint exactly doing well with a 4-4-2 or whatever that was on saturday, are we? I think we need to experiment in the friendlys we have.

I would go with, 3-5-2...

...................Gordon
......Caldwell....McManus....Berra
Hutton.............................Whittaker/Wallace
........Thomson.......D.Fletcher
...................Brown
.........S.Fletcher..McFadden

Subs - N.Alexander, Fox, Webster, Robson, Morrison, McCormack, K.Miller, Riordan

Speedy
18-11-2009, 02:38 PM
....................Gordon....................

Hutton... Caldwell.. Berra... Wallace

....Brown......Fletcher...Thomson

McCormack....Fletcher.....McFadden

Squad Players:

Marshall(McGregor if available)
Whittaker
McManus
Webster
Barr
McBride
Adam
Driver(if available)
Maloney
Riordan
Naismith
Boyd

Get rid of anyone over 30 and try to build a squad.

Hibs90
18-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Gordon

Whittaker
Caldwell
Berra
Wallace

Maloney
Brown
Ferguson
Fletcher
McFadden