PDA

View Full Version : World cup odds

CallumLaidlaw
14-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Anyone think its worth getting on the Ivory Coast each way while they are 33/1?

Brazil and Spain are currently joint favourites at 9/2

Italy are a decent price at 12/1 as they always tend to be there or there abouts

HibbyAndy
14-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Gotta be worth a pound or two Callum aye :agree:

I think the African teams will do no bad next summer.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Nae chance, England have their name written on the cup already.:wink:

jakedance
14-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone think its worth getting on the Ivory Coast each way while they are 33/1?

Brazil and Spain are currently joint favourites at 9/2

Italy are a decent price at 12/1 as they always tend to be there or there abouts

At those odds definitely. The fact its in Africa may help them. World Cups usually go to form though, has an outsider won it before?

CallumLaidlaw
14-11-2009, 07:59 PM
At those odds definitely. The fact its in Africa may help them. World Cups usually go to form though, has an outsider won it before?

its gott a happen at some point I suppose. Barring Denmark and Greece, I cant think of many outsider wins in the Euros but they show its possible.

The Ivorians would only have to get to the semis (I think) for me to make money anyway, so that is a possibility

grunt
14-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Thought Brazil were pretty impressive tonight.

Part/Time Supporter
14-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Italy, daft as it may seem, were a big outsider in '82. They hadn't done much in years before that and were relying on Rossi coming back after being out of football for two years (match fixing ban). They then played utter pish in the first group phase and just squeezed through; they only turned it on during and after the great game against Brazil, who were the big favourites to win the competition.

West Germany beating Hungary in 1954 was also a big shock; the Hungarians beat them 8-3 (!) in the group phase. It was also the first tournament the Germans had been allowed to play in since the war, so they were something of an unknown quantity.

I think Ivory Coast are worth a punt if all their big players are fit, particularly Drogba. Obviously they don't have the strength in depth that Brazil, Spain or England have, so one or two key injuries would completely snooker them. I would wait closer to the tournament before betting on them due to that risk.

David_D
14-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I actually Fancy Ghana as the most likely of the African teams to do anything at the world cup and they have odds of 70/1 I have seen.

Worth a punt i reckon

Killiehibbie
14-11-2009, 08:45 PM
its gott a happen at some point I suppose. Barring Denmark and Greece, I cant think of many outsider wins in the Euros but they show its possible.

The Ivorians would only have to get to the semis (I think) for me to make money anyway, so that is a possibility

Most bookies E/W bets for winning World Cup will be half the odds for getting to final, one or two will do 1/4 odds for getting to semi. I'd wait a while yet odds wont change a great deal before season ends.