PDA

View Full Version : david begg's bias

reilly1926
14-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I complained to the BBC regarding David Begg's totally biased commentary during the Rangers game a couple of weeks ago. They have just replied saying that whilst he is regarded as their best commentator (Who is the worst for God's sake) they will discuss his performance with him on this occasion.

Can I ask anyone who thinks that Mr Begg's views are biased in the future to e-mail the BBC with a complaint. Mr Begg has to improve or go.

The Voice Of Reason
14-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry, but I think he is a decent commentator. :agree:

What did he say to enrage you so much ?

Marabou Stork
14-11-2009, 02:47 PM
His commentary was a joke.

Every time the huns crossed the halfway line, he was about creaming his knickers. Stokes scored a fantastic goal and such was the commentary, you could barely tell he'd scored.

givescotlandfreedom
14-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry, but I think he is a decent commentator. :agree:

What did he say to enrage you so much ?

He more or less celebrated Boyd's goal and hardly changed his one when Stokes scored the best goal likely to be scored at Ibrox this season. Have to admit though his commentary in the Ivan game is excellent and he's nowhere near as bad as Rob McLean.

Kato
14-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Every time the huns crossed the halfway line, he was about creaming his knickers. Stokes scored a fantastic goal and such was the commentary, you could barely tell he'd scored.

Yup - took about a minute for him to reiterate Hibs had actually scored.

I complained about the fuddly who is Alan Preston, as whenever he commentates on Hibs a goal for us seems like a disaster whereas a goal against us gives the impression he's jumping up and down waving a flag with the occasional s****** if we miss a chance. Got some soft soap saying he was impartial when he plainly isn't.

The BBC is supposed to be impartial - keep on at them as BBC Glasgow (which they fob off to us as BBC Scotland) is a joke - and we pay their wages.

Barney McGrew
14-11-2009, 03:00 PM
There's a lot more people to complain about being biased on the BBC that would be far higher up the list than David Begg.

'Biscuits' Preston and fat Robbo for starters.

New Corrie
14-11-2009, 03:21 PM
People need to get out a bit more, David Begg is an excellent commentator, and even if he was biased (which i'm pretty sure he isn't) does it really merit a complaint??

Lang Toun Hibs
14-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I think he is the best commenator around and has been for some time - since David Francie? Anyhow, a few years back he really did appear to "cream his knickers" at a game at Ibrox. Again we were involved but it ended nil - 3 with Ivan scoring a memorable hat-trick. Superb result, superb performance, superb commentry - you can still get it on You Tube I think. Type in "Ivan's Hat-Trick Vs Rangers" on you tube and you'll hear Mr Begg in fine form.

TheEastTerrace
14-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Christ, this has been going on for years in the Scottish media. What did you expect?? I actually think Begg is pretty decent and if he keeps the likes of Gerry McNee, Jock Brownpants, and Ersie MacPherson away from the mic, then I'm happy.

As some have also pointed out, Begg is the least of the BBC's problems i.e. Preston

Beefster
14-11-2009, 04:34 PM
People need to get out a bit more, David Begg is an excellent commentator, and even if he was biased (which i'm pretty sure he isn't) does it really merit a complaint??

You beat me to it.

Folk have some weird ways to waste their time.

Crab apple
14-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Begg is a decent commentator but for years has found it difficult to conceal his excitement when his beloved currant buns are doing well in a game. Probably too old to change. Lets just hope the beeb find someone who is able to at least display objectivity when Begg finally departs.

Preston and Robbo aren't commentators so can't be compared to Begg. They are there for their deep thinking insightful analysis. Preston in particular can be relied on to display total objectivity when contributing to discussions about Hearts and is always willing to praise Hibs.

magpie1892
14-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Begg is the best commentator out there by some distance - and I don't just mean in Scotland. There's no-one to match him in England with perhaps the exception of Martin Tyler.

aberhibsfc
14-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I did feel that there was a sway towards Rangers but he is a good commentator in the main.

The one that winds me up the most is Alan Preston, yeah he sometimes gives credit to Hibs when he has too, but most of the time is hamming up whoever we are playing. Why does a Jambo cover all the blooming Hibs games? Away and follow Hearts.

cleanyman
14-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Begg is an excellent commentator on the whole:agree:

PaulSmith
14-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Indeed.

The Green Goblin
14-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Begg`s a really fine and exciting commentator for me, but I didn`t hear the commentary in question. Even if there was a case to answer, nobody`s perfect.

GG

Crab apple
14-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Begg is a decent commentator but for years has found it difficult to conceal his excitement when his beloved currant buns are doing well in a game. Probably too old to change. Lets just hope the beeb find someone who is able to at least display objectivity when Begg finally departs.

Preston and Robbo aren't commentators so can't be compared to Begg. They are there for their deep thinking insightful analysis. Preston in particular can be relied on to display total objectivity when contributing to discussions about Hearts and is always willing to praise Hibs.

Just in case anyone thought I was being serious about Preston's abilities. I wasn't. He's a total ******.

maturehibby
14-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Liam McLeod on today at Wales game on BBC and cant match Begg in any way

truehibernian
14-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Paul Mitchell, even for a Yam, is the best commentator by a country mile. Doesn't show any bias, actually gives Hibs a lot of respect and plaudits when they merit it, and even in derby games doesn't show his allegiance. Begg this last two years has by far and away shown his clear love of Rangers and the way he reacts to an opposition goal (ours and McGeady's penalty at Ibrox this season in particular) is frankly unprofessional. You actually have to wait a few seconds and wait for crowd reaction to know if you have scored or not. However Dougie Donnelly is even worse. He talks about everything else other than the game he is commentating on.

Scorrie
14-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Ach they're not worth bothering aboot! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Begg is an excellent commentator on the whole:agree:

Aye, but it was a football match he was commentating on, on this occasion.

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Aye, but it was a football match he was commentating on, on this occasion.

:tee hee: Rumour has it his wife just wants him to shut up and get on with it sometimes.

WindyMiller
14-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I listened to the match in question and, although he does get carried awy every time the Huns get in the box, I thought he got pretty excited at most Hibs attacks. His excitement at our goal sounded loud and genuine.

seanshow
14-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I listened to the match in question and, although he does get carried awy every time the Huns get in the box, I thought he got pretty excited at most Hibs attacks. His excitement at our goal sounded loud and genuine.

nonsense,did you listen to it?
Stokes had just scored an exceptional opportunist goal and his description was subdued at best! with a comment of "terrible defending" thrown in.

The guy is openly a Rangers fan and finds it hard to conceal it while commentating on them. but its no big deal, makes it sweeter in a way. :thumbsup:

iainm
14-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Have to agree with the OP as I have noticed many times how he does not get very excited about Hibs goals.

But the clincher for me was when interviewed about the favourite game he has commentated on, he said it was the 4-4 match

Nuff said as far as I am concerned

machibby
15-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I can see the OP's point and it's hard not to notice that Begg tends to get very excited when the old firm score in any comentary. But can't say I find it annoying enough to complain. As far as i'm concerned I'd rather have comentators who have a bit of interest. Have to say as annoying as Preston is, I'd rather have him and his up front yam bias than the bland crap of someone like charlie man..

monktonharp
15-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Begg is an excellent commentator on the whole:agree:,aye,so's the Daily Record..............on the hole it's rather good :wink: Begg,to my mind is an over zealous OF lover of all things they do. he mentioned during his comments of the Ibrox game that the small band of Hibs fans were cheering. whita nob, no mention of the fact that we filled every availible seat,and would have sold more if they were availible. OF lover,along with most of the BBC pricks.

blackhibee
15-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Paul Mitchell, even for a Yam, is the best commentator by a country mile. Doesn't show any bias, actually gives Hibs a lot of respect and plaudits when they merit it, and even in derby games doesn't show his allegiance. Begg this last two years has by far and away shown his clear love of Rangers and the way he reacts to an opposition goal (ours and McGeady's penalty at Ibrox this season in particular) is frankly unprofessional. You actually have to wait a few seconds and wait for crowd reaction to know if you have scored or not. However Dougie Donnelly is even worse. He talks about everything else other than the game he is commentating on.

Sorry mate, all about opinions eh? I rate Paul Mitchell as far more biased than David Begg ever has been. And I'm surprised you think he's impartial, even though this season he hasn't been so obviously biased. Maybe his bosses had a word with him. He really used to struggle to compliment Hibs, on occasions too numerous to mention, and it was even worse when his sidekick Preston was with him. But maybe, as somebody has posted, it's better when commentators do show a bit of passion,even when it is misdirected, I dunno.

heretoday
15-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I hate ALL the commentators on BBC radio - especially Paul Mitchell, who, I am reliably told, is in fact the strangled ferret.

broonie27
15-11-2009, 04:56 AM
I can't believe this thread. David Begg is by far and away the best commentator of Scottish football there is. In all the years I have been listening to him I have never noticed even the hint of bias in any of his commentaries. Before I left the country I always wanted him to do the telly as well because Paul Mitchell sounds like "a duck farting in the fog".

His knowledge of Scottish footy is encyclopaedic as well. Bob Crampsie eat your heart out.

killie-hibby
15-11-2009, 07:32 AM
I complained to the BBC regarding David Begg's totally biased commentary during the Rangers game a couple of weeks ago. They have just replied saying that whilst he is regarded as their best commentator (Who is the worst for God's sake) they will discuss his performance with him on this occasion.

Can I ask anyone who thinks that Mr Begg's views are biased in the future to e-mail the BBC with a complaint. Mr Begg has to improve or go.

The worst is Scot Davie.

WindyMiller
15-11-2009, 09:32 AM
nonsense,did you listen to it?
Stokes had just scored an exceptional opportunist goal and his description was subdued at best! with a comment of "terrible defending" thrown in.

The guy is openly a Rangers fan and finds it hard to conceal it while commentating on them. but its no big deal, makes it sweeter in a way. :thumbsup:

Clue; the second word in my post.
:cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
15-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Maybe it would be better if we sent Open Letters. Nothing gives an air of righteous indignation more gravitas than an OL. :greengrin

Dr Jimmy
15-11-2009, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=youngyosh;2242060]nonsense,did you listen to it?

Totally agree, I had to do a double take when Stokes scored as it wasn't even clear we had scored...!

mim
15-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I was listening to the car radio at the time and had no idea it was a goal.

I can only imagine Begg was stunned by the brilliance of it. :thumbsup:

The Green Goblin
15-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I can't believe this thread. David Begg is by far and away the best commentator of Scottish football there is. In all the years I have been listening to him I have never noticed even the hint of bias in any of his commentaries. Before I left the country I always wanted him to do the telly as well because Paul Mitchell sounds like "a duck farting in the fog".

His knowledge of Scottish footy is encyclopaedic as well. Bob Crampsie eat your heart out.

I agree with all of that.

GG

mjhibby
15-11-2009, 11:40 AM
There's a lot more people to complain about being biased on the BBC that would be far higher up the list than David Begg.

'Biscuits' Preston and fat Robbo for starters.

The joke of sending the most staunch of hertz fans to all the hibs game is wearing thin now.lets get someone who will give us an objective view of the game as prestons view is sometimes the only one we hear.

Martin
15-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I hate ALL the commentators on BBC radio - especially Paul Mitchell, who, I am reliably told, is in fact the strangled ferret.

He is one of the nicest guys I've met in the media to be honest - a very honest man.

givescotlandfreedom
15-11-2009, 06:43 PM
The joke of sending the most staunch of hertz fans to all the hibs game is wearing thin now.lets get someone who will give us an objective view of the game as prestons view is sometimes the only one we hear.

:agree: They make light of it but it leads to an unfunny and unprofessional report of the game. I don't mind banter from the radio guys but not when giving coverage of the game itself.

steakbake
15-11-2009, 08:18 PM
David Begg can annoy, but he's one of the best in the business overall.

When you compare him to some bawbag like Alan Green, he's not far off perfect .

Kaiser1962
15-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Just in case anyone thought I was being serious about Preston's abilities. I wasn't. He's a total ******.

Jeez! You sold it to me......

monktonharp
15-11-2009, 09:12 PM
:agree: They make light of it but it leads to an unfunny and unprofessional report of the game. I don't mind banter from the radio guys but not when giving coverage of the game itself.:agree: it also gets on ma tits when these jokers try to be funny BEFORE a game ! suppose we are stuck with what we have until the end of season, but thank christ I GO TO MAIST GAMES AND DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO DRIVEL. i CAN MAKE UP MY OWN MIND:greengrin

mjhibby
16-11-2009, 06:56 AM
He is one of the nicest guys I've met in the media to be honest - a very honest man.

Ive met him and he is a very nice guy and he did admit to struggling to hide his hertz bias in commentaries.(who wouldnt be)His coverage of the aberdeen game was spot on and when he isnt covering hibs to me is the best commentator around.

shagpile
16-11-2009, 09:53 AM
David Begg can annoy, but he's one of the best in the business overall.

When you compare him to some bawbag like Alan Green, he's not far off perfect .

The worst of the worst.:grr:

Paul Mitchell does a decent job. :agree:

MountcastleHibs
16-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Jim Traynor (although not a commentator) is far worse than David Begg... He basically said on his phone in after the derby, it proved Hibs are not strong enough to challenge the OF :grr: I'm not saying we are good enough, but I've seen Rangers and Celtic play far worse than that this season and he wouldn't make a comment saying they're not good enough. I think that IF we can keep it up and strengthen in January, we have as good a chance as ever to split them.

I personally cannot stand Allan Preston. Quite like John Barnes though, very neutral commentator.

sesoim
16-11-2009, 03:49 PM

That certainly annoyed me. If I was a commentator I'd shout YESSS, GOAL FOR HIBS or whoever. He kept on talking like as if nothing had happenned, the tone of his voice didn't even change.