PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand qualify for the World Cup!

Winston Ingram
14-11-2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5693868,00.html

Must officially be the easiest qualifying route there is:bitchy:

PISTOL1875
14-11-2009, 09:19 AM

You're dead right... The teams they play in that section are worse than teams you see on a Sunday league pitch....

Toaods
14-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Having been in Bahrain and watched some of their domestic/national football on Bet365, Scotland would be lucky to get a point over there so don't kid yourself too much.

Wtend to look a lot better than we are because the other teams in our groups are rated so highly. We rarely finish above any nation of note.

That aside, I'll bet Burley, Vogts, etc wish they could play the Cook/Soloman Islands home and away every couple of years.

Iain G
14-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't give two ****ing hoots about how easy people think it was, the game tonight was simply one of the finest atmosphere's I have experienced at any game, up there with the league cup final win under John Collins, for a non-footballing nation I am so pround of my current adopted homeland, wasn't a pretty game at all but god the 35,000 kiwi's and us attached supporters were bloody amazing tonight!!! I even lost my voice!!

This game was HUGE in the development of "soccer" in this country....

Good to have one team to support at the World Cup too :greengrin:top marks

Auckland Hibs
14-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't give two ****ing hoots about how easy people think it was, the game tonight was simply one of the finest atmosphere's I have experienced at any game, up there with the league cup final win under John Collins, for a non-footballing nation I am so pround of my current adopted homeland, wasn't a pretty game at all but god the 35,000 kiwi's and us attached supporters were bloody amazing tonight!!! I even lost my voice!!

:top marks

Was down the boozer in Auckland, everyone was dancing on the tables, great result!

Iain G
14-11-2009, 10:06 AM
:top marks

Was down the boozer in Auckland, everyone was dancing on the tables, great result!

Paul it was even better at the stadium! Was freaking awesome man!!!! :greengrin

SaudiHibby
14-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Was at the first game in Bahrain, quality not great but then have you sat and watched the Hearts game again :confused:

There was a comment in the Gulf Daily News about the previous game v Saudi Arabia in Riyadh being a first for the World Cup. It was played in front of an entirely male audience as no women are allowed to be inside the stadium. It was then suggested that the all World Cup games in New Zealand are women free as the locals don't like taking their women folk to the match as the first thing they want to do once they see the pitch is eat the grass :greengrin

zero-seven
14-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Well done the All Whites..massive shot in the arm for football over here. Dont give a monkeys how they got there..THEY ARE THERE and good luck to them..i will be supporting them

sicknote played quite well too...

as the T shirt says.."white is the new black"

Steve-O
14-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Yup, it was great stuff last night, a wee bit worse for wear today :greengrin

The celebrations at the goal, the penalty save, and the final whistle were awesome :thumbsup:

Here's the goal - I'm in the section of fans you see going REALLY mental after the goal is scored...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQF2C3DjR0

As for it being easy to qualify...can't be that easy if this is the first time they've qualified since 1982?

We can't even score against f-ing Wales so I doubt we'd fare much better against Bahrain who aren't that bad a side. 30 odd places above NZ in the rankings anyway...

monktonharp
15-11-2009, 12:52 AM
well done NZ.:agree:

Steve-O
15-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Here's a video I took when the full time whistle blew :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HchmvSiV_bM

heretoday
15-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Good for the All Whites! Scotland has a long way to go to match that kind of stuff.

It'll happen.

gilliecabbage
15-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Here's a video I took when the full time whistle blew :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HchmvSiV_bM

looks great.:boo hoo:mon scotland get the finger ooot!
got 3 cousins who are egyptian and they scored in th 95min against algeria to leave the 2 of them equal on points and goal difference.now theyve got to play in a qualifier to see who goes through on wednesday! some amazing scenes from youtube!

broonie27
15-11-2009, 05:37 AM

I was there too and whilst I enjoyed it immensely the atmosphere was nowhere near anything at a Scottish game - especially Hibs vs hertz or a big Scotland qualifier.

They don't have any real songs and they get all excited when the ball goes anywhere near the opposing half. It was a bit like watching/hearing loads of girls watching the school team - but with much deeper voices. It was plain to see that a lot of the people there were there for "an event" and weren't footy fans per se.

Having said all that, in the pub after the game it was electric. You'd think NZ had won the World Cup. They were absolutely ecstatic - as i would be had Scotland qualified. Made me a bit jealous TBH. Still at least I've got a second team to follow :thumbsup:

Steve-O
15-11-2009, 05:51 AM
I was there too and whilst I enjoyed it immensely the atmosphere was nowhere near anything at a Scottish game - especially Hibs vs hertz or a big Scotland qualifier.

They don't have any real songs and they get all excited when the ball goes anywhere near the opposing half. It was a bit like watching/hearing loads of girls watching the school team - but with much deeper voices. It was plain to see that a lot of the people there were there for "an event" and weren't footy fans per se.

Having said all that, in the pub after the game it was electric. You'd think NZ had won the World Cup. They were absolutely ecstatic - as i would be had Scotland qualified. Made me a bit jealous TBH. Still at least I've got a second team to follow :thumbsup:

Compared to All Blacks games and anything else in New Zealand though, the atmosphere was far and away the best I have experienced.

And yes, plenty non football fans there but hopefully they are converts now and the Phoenix get a few more people through the gates! :agree:

broonie27
15-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Compared to All Blacks games and anything else in New Zealand though, the atmosphere was far and away the best I have experienced.

And yes, plenty non football fans there but hopefully they are converts now and the Phoenix get a few more people through the gates! :agree:

hope so eh!

goosano
15-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Qualification for the World Cup does seen a bit skewed. ie Africa gets only 2 qualifiers whilst Central America/North America gets 3.

Anyway well done New Zealand

Forza Fred
15-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Was sitting on the edge of my chairr in my Sydney lounge room counting down the minutes and cheering on the Kiwis.
Killen was immense.

well done Enzed.

Hope we get you in our group though....:wink::wink:

ronaldo7
15-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Well done the Kiwis.

Thought that Bahrain were the better football team but the tenacity of the kiwis in their defending was great. Good to see the crowd get into it in the end.

Cannon fodder in the Finals but at least they are there:wink:

monktonharp
15-11-2009, 11:53 AM

are you saying that all kiwis are normally quite and reserved?:confused::wink: I've still to meet a quiet yin:greengrin

Toaods
15-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Hope we get you in our group though....:wink:

I'd expect them to be in the same pot of seeds...4th.

Cannon fodder in the Finals but at least they are there:wink:

I think Scotland thought the same last time we played them in the World Cup.

gilliecabbage
15-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Qualification for the World Cup does seen a bit skewed. ie Africa gets only 2 qualifiers whilst Central America/North America gets 3.

:bitchy: africa get 5 qualifiers plus south africa (hosts)

jgl07
15-11-2009, 02:00 PM

What are talking about?

Africa gets at least four teams plus the hosts.

Central/North America get three plus one possible extra place against the runner up from South American.

gilliecabbage
15-11-2009, 02:09 PM
What are talking about?

Africa gets at least four teams plus the hosts.

Central/North America get three plus one possible extra place against the runner up from South American.

see above :wink:

archiebald
15-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Think support of any country would act like that if they got to World Cup Finals :agree:

Iain G
15-11-2009, 08:58 PM
are you saying that all kiwis are normally quite and reserved?:confused::wink: I've still to meet a quiet yin:greengrin

I think what he is saying is that for a supposed rugby fanatical nation, that going to watch the sport, even the All Blacks, is a raher dull and dreary affair for those of us used to supporting the beautiful game! I know a lot of kiwi's who hadn't shown much interest in football were completely blown away by the atmosphere at the stadium on Saturday night, as was I, it was jumping and electric from start to finish :greengrin

Mixu62
15-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I think what he is saying is that for a supposed rugby fanatical nation, that going to watch the sport, even the All Blacks, is a raher dull and dreary affair for those of us used to supporting the beautiful game! I know a lot of kiwi's who hadn't shown much interest in football were completely blown away by the atmosphere at the stadium on Saturday night, as was I, it was jumping and electric from start to finish :greengrin

Well done all-whites! And to those kiwi's who casually dismiss the entire sport as a "bloody poofs game" GIRFUY!! Been to 1 all-blacks game and almost fell asleep at the lack of atmosphere. If they get really excited you might get an "All-blacks...clap clap clap....." and the commentators go crazy about how the crowd are right behind them!!

My dream now is that they are drawn in Engerlunds group and knock them out. Hey, I can dream right?

Steve-O
16-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Correct.

The last 2 All Blacks games I have been to I have barely watched, and I can't remember even getting off my seat! Stood for the entire 90 minutes at the football though :agree:

rainman
16-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Just watching the game the now and I have to say, injury prone or not, turncoat money grabber or not, I'd take killen back at hibs in a heartbeat.

Knows where the goal is, strong and clever. Stokes, riordan, zemmama would score a barrowload playing off him.

Horse
16-11-2009, 05:24 PM

I still think Scotland would of somehow managed to not qualify via that route! Well done the Kiwi's and good luck!

Mixu62
16-11-2009, 06:13 PM
In defence of NZ - They could only play the opposition that was put in front of them and they beat them. Can hardly criticise them for that. There's no garauntee Scotland would have done so! We just went to Cardiff and got horsed. Last year (I think) NZ played Wales in Cardiff in a friendly and got a 2-2 draw. So they can't be that bad.

ScottB
16-11-2009, 06:32 PM
In defence of NZ - They could only play the opposition that was put in front of them and they beat them. Can hardly criticise them for that. There's no garauntee Scotland would have done so! We just went to Cardiff and got horsed. Last year (I think) NZ played Wales in Cardiff in a friendly and got a 2-2 draw. So they can't be that bad.

I would think, with the Aussies having left the Group behind that the sensible way forward is for NZ to do likewise and have all the little nations play each other as a pre qualifying for a place in the Asian Qualifying with funding for travel etc.

Iain G
16-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Just watching the game the now and I have to say, injury prone or not, turncoat money grabber or not, I'd take killen back at hibs in a heartbeat.

Knows where the goal is, strong and clever. Stokes, riordan, zemmama would score a barrowload playing off him.

Based on that game, rather we signed Rory Fallon :greengrin

3 days post game and I'm still smiling about it, it's been amazing to see the amount of press coverage the game got and the number of non-footy fans who are still talking about it!! :thumbsup: