PDA

View Full Version : Daily Record's Shameful defence of Old Firm Fans

Horse
13-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Not sure if it's just me who thinks this (or if a similar thread has already been posted) but in today's Daily Record I found the descriptions of recent shameful antics by OF fans pathetic.

They describe the recent thuggish behaviour by Huns in Romania as "The Battle of Bucharest" which makes it sound like some military style conflict, almost trying to add a bit of glamour to it. Maybe I'm being sceptical but at I don't think it is any coincidence that this term is used around armistice day when genuine tragic battles such as the battle of the Somme are being talked about. In reality the inbred behaviour of the Hun sub-species in Romania was not a "Battle", it was a bunch of filthy rodents rioting. The term "The Battle of Bucharest" will undoubtedly appeal to brain dead Hun bigots who falsely proclaim to have some sort of affinity to the brave soldiers who were killed fighting for our right not to be ruled by bigoted fascists, a little ironic given the years of bigotry and fascism that Rangers fans have enjoyed.

Similarly, the Celtic fans disrespectful behaviour during the minutes silence at Falkirk was described as a "demo"! Again, call me sceptical but the term "Demo" kind of bears a connection to Civil Rights demos as seen in N. Ireland by republicans over the years. Again, the term "demo" suggests this sort of behaviour is somehow a legitimate form of demonstration for a worthy cause when in reality it is a shameful act of disrespect to Falkirk fans (and indeed some fellow Celtic fans) who wish to pay a small bit of respect to relatives who fell in the wars. Again the term "demo" will appeal to brain dead Celtic bigots who see themselves as some sort of Irish freedom fighters, a little ironic given that they revel in disrespecting so many people who died to preserve freedom.

Maybe my years of hatred towards the old firm have made me over-react to these descriptions but I think it is verging on criminal that such despicable behaviour is depicted in such a way by the Daily Record.

ChrissyG1875
13-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Not sure if it's just me who thinks this (or if a similar thread has already been posted) but in today's Daily Record I found the descriptions of recent shameful antics by OF fans pathetic.

They describe the recent thuggish behaviour by Huns in Romania as "The Battle of Bucharest" which makes it sound like some military style conflict, almost trying to add a bit of glamour to it. Maybe I'm being sceptical but at I don't think it is any coincidence that this term is used around armistice day when genuine tragic battles such as the battle of the Somme are being talked about. In reality the inbred behaviour of the Hun sub-species in Romania was not a "Battle", it was a bunch of filthy rodents rioting. The term "The Battle of Bucharest" will undoubtedly appeal to brain dead Hun bigots who falsely proclaim to have some sort of affinity to the brave soldiers who were killed fighting for our right not to be ruled by bigoted fascists, a little ironic given the years of bigotry and fascism that Rangers fans have enjoyed.

Similarly, the Celtic fans disrespectful behaviour during the minutes silence at Falkirk was described as a "demo"! Again, call me sceptical but the term "Demo" kind of bears a connection to Civil Rights demos as seen in N. Ireland by republicans over the years. Again, the term "demo" suggests this sort of behaviour is somehow a legitimate form of demonstration for a worthy cause when in reality it is a shameful act of disrespect to Falkirk fans (and indeed some fellow Celtic fans) who wish to pay a small bit of respect to relatives who fell in the wars. Again the term "demo" will appeal to brain dead Celtic bigots who see themselves as some sort of Irish freedom fighters, a little ironic given that they revel in disrespecting so many people who died to preserve freedom.

Maybe my years of hatred towards the old firm have made me over-react to these descriptions but I think it is verging on criminal that such despicable behaviour is depicted in such a way by the Daily Record.

I see where your comming from, but tbh i think your looking a bit to much into it. I cant talk though, I always find as many ways as possible to have an anti-OF rant.

Horse
13-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I see where your comming from, but tbh i think your looking a bit to much into it. I cant talk though, I always find as many ways as possible to have an anti-OF rant.

I probably am looking a bit too much into it but then again it doesn't take much for me to indulge in an anti-OF rant either, particularly after a beer of two on a Friday night! The Daily Record never fails to inspire my hatred for them!

Hibercelona
13-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't waste your time with the Daily Rantic mate.

The poor excuse for a newspaper really is a strain on the eyes. :yawn:

Horse
13-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Don't waste your time with the Daily Rantic mate.

The poor excuse for a newspaper really is a strain on the eyes. :yawn:

I know, but unfortunately it's the only Scottish paper I can get in Ireland and for some strange reason I keep buying the damn thing, no matter how hard I try to stop. It does help keep my hatred of Rantic as high as ever so I suppose every cloud has a silver lining!

The Green Goblin
13-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I think you`re spot on, actually. Deliberate choice of words to describe certain events are everything, as words have the power to suggest certain meanings. I say this as an English teacher who works with exactly this type of language analysis in articles and speeches as part of the curriculum I teach. The words chosen will have been carefully thought about and are calculated to motivate specific responses in readers. You`re not reading too much into this at all. You`re absolutely right.

GG

Brando7
13-11-2009, 08:27 PM
This is why i dont read that shower of sh*te of a paper

Horse
13-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I think you`re spot on, actually. Deliberate choice of words to describe certain events are everything, as words have the power to suggest certain meanings. I say this as an English teacher who works with exactly this type of language analysis in articles and speeches as part of the curriculum I teach. The words chosen will have been carefully thought about and are calculated to motivate specific responses in readers. You`re not reading too much into this at all. You`re absolutely right.

GG

Cheers! Glad to hear I'm not just paranoid (or just stoned).

Hibercelona
13-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Cheers! Glad to hear I'm not just paranoid (or just stoned).

:smokin :devil:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Daily Record's Shameful defence of Old Firm Fans

Start from the premise there isn't one, don't buy the paper, and move on. in the long run, if they ever achieve the promised land of the EPL the ****** might have to slightly revisit its overall image of the "voice" of Scotland :faf:

Horse
13-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Daily Record's Shameful defence of Old Firm Fans

Start from the premise there isn't one, don't buy the paper, and move on. in the long run, if they ever achieve the promised land of the EPL the ****** might have to slightly revisit its overall image of the "voice" of Scotland :faf:

If I did that then I'd have nothing to rant about! Life's just no the same without the ranting!

Bostonhibby
13-11-2009, 08:50 PM
If I did that then I'd have nothing to rant about! Life's just no the same without the ranting!

Hear what you say :wink: if you log onto their website at least they don't get the money!

Horse
13-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Hear what you say :wink: if you log onto their website at least they don't get the money!

Ah! Why didn't I think of that before?

Pete
13-11-2009, 09:01 PM

GG

Instead of criticising these idiots this paper is ducking the main issues and basically justifying their actions...which, in turn, won't harm their circulation.

Reminds me of David Murrays squirming interview a few years ago.

It's sad that the rest of Britain sees us as some petty little nation divided by wars that happened over 400 years ago. Well done Glasgow media.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Ah! Why didn't I think of that before?

:greengrin you want the paper in your hands with no chips involved? There used to be some terrific used car and caravan adverts - normally about 50% of available space! 25% Hun, 24% Celtc and 1% being the voice of Scotland.

Horse
13-11-2009, 09:08 PM
:greengrin you want the paper in your hands with no chips involved? There used to be some terrific used car and caravan adverts - normally about 50% of available space! 25% Hun, 24% Celtc and 1% being the voice of Scotland.

That's true, it feels better flicking through a paper whist eating my morning fry or sitting on the crapper than carrying a laptop everywhere!

Bostonhibby
13-11-2009, 09:18 PM
That's true, it feels better flicking through a paper whist eating my morning fry or sitting on the crapper than carrying a laptop everywhere!

:thumbsup: Its over and out on this one horse, what you do with the ******, and where is up to you. GGTTH

Rossco1875
14-11-2009, 01:28 PM
only thing the daily record is good for is wipping your arse

Leithenhibby
14-11-2009, 02:14 PM

:top marks spot on, you pretty much say it as I see it. It has to be said that this is nothing new from that shower that call themselves a national paper, and for that reason, I'm out. keep away from them !! as my mother always said...:wink:

Woody1985
14-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Anyone read the interview with Neil Doncaster (new SPL guy, don't know his specific role but IIRC it's quite senior).

Anyhoo, he's saying that we should all be pulling together so that we don't damage the reputation of Scottish football and there shouldn't be any petty squabling over TV rights etc.

IMO this is directed at clubs outwith the OF, the ones who should now be pushing to get into a stronger position. If I've interpreted it correctly then this guy should **** right off as it sounds like he's been suckered into the west coast pish already and he's only been there since the start of the season.

Here's the link:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/11/14/clubs-need-to-unite-if-we-want-a-better-future-says-spl-neil-doncaster-86908-21820879/

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2009, 03:39 PM

I don't think you are overacting at all, and what you say is spot on. This odious rag owes it's continued existence to being an OF fanzine, and it knows how to tweak the collective clitoris's of those two brain-dead tribes by appealing to their most obvious delusions. The proud, straight-backed loyal hun troops, and the justice-loving freedom fighters of the Parkhead oppressed.

A complete joke, and peddled by cynical people, who unlike their targets have at least a few O'Grades between them and should know better.

Horse
16-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think you are overacting at all, and what you say is spot on. This odious rag owes it's continued existence to being an OF fanzine, and it knows how to tweak the collective clitoris's of those two brain-dead tribes by appealing to their most obvious delusions. The proud, straight-backed loyal hun troops, and the justice-loving freedom fighters of the Parkhead oppressed.

A complete joke, and peddled by cynical people, who unlike their targets have at least a few O'Grades between them and should know better.

Exactly, It's almost as if these "journalists" are encouraging this sort of behaviour to give them even more ammunition to write stories that appeal to the brain dead hoardes, either that or they simply don't have the baws to write anything that would offend either side of the sectarian franchise. As you say, they are supposedly intelligent enough people and should know better.

jacomo
16-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Anyone read the interview with Neil Doncaster (new SPL guy, don't know his specific role but IIRC it's quite senior).

Anyhoo, he's saying that we should all be pulling together so that we don't damage the reputation of Scottish football and there shouldn't be any petty squabling over TV rights etc.

IMO this is directed at clubs outwith the OF, the ones who should now be pushing to get into a stronger position. If I've interpreted it correctly then this guy should **** right off as it sounds like he's been suckered into the west coast pish already and he's only been there since the start of the season.

Here's the link:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/11/14/clubs-need-to-unite-if-we-want-a-better-future-says-spl-neil-doncaster-86908-21820879/

Neil Doncaster comes across as the blandest man imaginable. He probably dreams in management-speak.

Anything not to rock the boat, eh?

Woody1985
16-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Neil Doncaster comes across as the blandest man imaginable. He probably dreams in management-speak.

Anything not to rock the boat, eh?

I've only seen a few things but the above interview smacks of sucking OF ass.

Jack
16-11-2009, 06:08 PM
You're right but writing it here would do much to satisfy your anger, nor will it do much to stem the tide of such poor reporting.

Write to the Press Complaints Commission or whatever they're called.

Maybe more of us should.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I am not sure where the value in rants like these lies. Not that I don't agree. Not that sometimes a good pointless exorcism of your thoughts can do wonders. But the Daily Record is a business in trouble and in troubled times, it is commercial suicide to alienate your biggest customers. So who is really surprised at their lack of journalistic perspective? When that Maurice Edu lad was racially abused by a fan after their game with us, the Record quite rightly condemmed an element of their support for racism. They could justifiably call this a minority. So why no mention of the fact that the applause from the show racism the red card campaign had only died down,when the religious racism chimed in and that is certainly not a minority. Seems that the Daily Record will not give a blanket condemnation to discrimination. Only the kind that does not impact on its' profits. But we know this.

heretoday
16-11-2009, 07:18 PM
They'll be telling a different story when Hibs run up the "Scottish" flag at season's end.

Horse
16-11-2009, 08:26 PM
You're right but writing it here would do much to satisfy your anger, nor will it do much to stem the tide of such poor reporting.

Write to the Press Complaints Commission or whatever they're called.

Maybe more of us should.

Good idea but I'm far too lazy to go to those lengths, a quick rant on
Hibs.net is about the height of my powers!

Horse
16-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I am not sure where the value in rants like these lies. Not that I don't agree. Not that sometimes a good pointless exorcism of your thoughts can do wonders. But the Daily Record is a business in trouble and in troubled times, it is commercial suicide to alienate your biggest customers. So who is really surprised at their lack of journalistic perspective? When that Maurice Edu lad was racially abused by a fan after their game with us, the Record quite rightly condemmed an element of their support for racism. They could justifiably call this a minority. So why no mention of the fact that the applause from the show racism the red card campaign had only died down,when the religious racism chimed in and that is certainly not a minority. Seems that the Daily Record will not give a blanket condemnation to discrimination. Only the kind that does not impact on its' profits. But we know this.

You're absolutely right. The only value in this rant is the fact that it makes me feel better by voicing my disgust others who most likely agree. I don't expect the Record to change it's ways nor am I surprised by any of this it just really annoys me so I feel the need to rant about it.