PDA

View Full Version : There is no point walking about with an umbrella if your wellies are leaking....

...WentToMowAnSPL
13-11-2009, 06:14 PM
From the Evening News (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Yogi-hails-Hibs-defenders-after.5822231.jp)

Apparently, Yogi "...revealed how a message from legendary Hibs manager Eddie Turnbull had acted as an inspiration to him.

He said: "I heard a great quote from Eddie Turnbull the other day which he apparently said to pass on to Yogi, that there is no point walking about with an umbrella if your wellies are leaking.

"That sums things up for me, he is 100 per cent correct. If you don't close the back door you are not going to win games, you'll lose them."

I don't think that's what Eddie meant.

I would say that he meant, their is no point in getting your forwards and midfielders to track back and defend if your defenders aren't up to it !

Thoughts ?

Hakim Sar
13-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Actually agree with yogi mate

No point keeping yer napper dry if ur feet are getting wet - I'd interpret that as there is no point getting the attacking part of your game right if ur defensive duties at the other end keep letting you down

Hibercelona
13-11-2009, 06:30 PM

No point keeping yer napper dry if ur feet are getting wet - I'd interpret that as there is no point getting the attacking part of your game right if ur defensive duties at the other end keep letting you down

:agree:

Peevemor
13-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Maybe if they rebuild the 'East', then less rain will get onto the pitch. :agree:

MacBean
13-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Maybe if they rebuild the 'East', then less rain will get onto the pitch. :agree:

They'll just apply more water pre-kick off & at half time :wink:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Think you are probably right :agree:

On the other hand, Ned could be one of the great modern day Prophets and he might be saying theres nae point spouting about £51m stadiums when the rains coming in through your holey corrugated iron roof...........

brydekirk
13-11-2009, 11:25 PM

who says weve got our attack right. we have ment to have the best strikers in SPL, but cant score goals. some teams play with one striker and still score more than us.:agree:

Hibercelona
13-11-2009, 11:30 PM
who says weve got our attack right. we have ment to have the best strikers in SPL, but cant score goals. some teams play with one striker and still score more than us.:agree:

To be fair, scoring 16 and conceding 8, really isn't a bad record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/table/default.stm

Looking at St Johnstones scoring record down there... I'm dreading what they could do with that strike force if they just tighten up their defence. :worried:

Danderhall Hibs
13-11-2009, 11:36 PM

:agree: Considering the strikers we have we've struggled to score against Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen in recent weeks.

I can't wait until they turn the corner and we start pumping teams.

brydekirk
13-11-2009, 11:41 PM
To be fair, scoring 16 and conceding 8, really isn't a bad record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/table/default.stm

Looking at St Johnstones scoring record down there... I'm dreading what they could do with that strike force if they just tighten up their defence. :worried:

not saying its a bad record but if u think we should be taking 3rd place come may , we have to do better. relying on 4 up front is not the answer:agree:

Hibercelona
13-11-2009, 11:51 PM
not saying its a bad record but if u think we should be taking 3rd place come may , we have to do better. relying on 4 up front is not the answer:agree:

Indeed it's not. :agree:

But I think our main aim when Yogi first came through the door was to try and cut out the daft defensive blunders, as thats been the major problem for Hibs in recent years.

I think the club has achieved this rather well so far, and all credit to the defence.

We certainly seem to lack someone exciting up front. Zemmama is terrific to watch in midfield, but unfortunately Benji hasn't been half the player so far this season that he has been in the past. Deek hasn't been overly impressive up front either, although he does appear to be giving it his all. Stokes hasn't exactly set the heather alight. The same goes for Nish.

A lot of work still needs to be done. But as long as we can keep it tight at the back. I'm sure we'll do quite alright this season. :agree:

Bring on the next round. :hnet:

madabouthibs
14-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Deeks plays mostly left midfield for us, yet I will always look to him for about 15 - 20 goals a season.
Who is our recognised centre forward, Nish? Stokes? Or do teams not have centre forwards anymore?

Big Ed
14-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Our Centre Forward is Stokes. Hibs don't play 4-2-4; they play 4-2-3-1 Miller and McBride are the two "holding/sitting" midfielders, Zemmama on the right, Riordan on the left and Benji in behind. Nish is a sub.

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2009, 04:48 PM
It's still a good idea to take a brolly.