PDA

View Full Version : Rochdale v Luton - Better than SPL standard?

Downsloper
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
It's on ITV just now. It's early on, but the standard seems brighter than anything I've seen in the SPL this season. I wonder how the pay compares?

Dunbar Hibee
11-11-2009, 07:14 PM
The orginal game was crazy.. Rochdale came back to draw 3-3 after bein 3-0 down:agree:

Judas Iscariot
11-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I think the standard of the SPL gets quite unfairly slated sometimes..

I've watched and attended PLENTY EPL games, outwith the big 4, and they games have been brutal to watch!

The fact there's around 25,000 + at these games with far more impressive stadia than the SPL this can give the impression the game is better and of a higher standard..

Some Championship games are disgusting :jamboak:

CB_NO3
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
At the end of the day you will great games and pi55 poor games in every league in the world and thats a fact. It depends on how the teams set out, if you get two teams going all out for the win it will be an end to end game. If two teams are happy for a draw then the game will be murder to watch. This can happen in the Champs League, the SPL or the 3rd division in Norway.

ballengeich
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Standard was closer to the foot of SFL1 imo.

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
It's on ITV just now. It's early on, but the standard seems brighter than anything I've seen in the SPL this season. I wonder how the pay compares?

Oh dear. Riordan would score 40 a season against such defences.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
That was bloody crap, better than the SPL, :faf: even the yams would beat that lot.:bitchy:

Hibercelona
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
That was bloody crap, better than the SPL, :faf:

:agree:

even the yams would beat that lot.:bitchy:

Behave yourself. It wasn't that bad. :wink:

Hainan Hibs
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
People are far too quick to talk down the SPL. It isn't the greatest but christ, it isn't that bad.

In every single there will be some fantastic games that have you on the edge of your seat, and some games that have you falling asleep.

People constantly cream their pants over the EPL, but some of the games in that league can be brutal as hell.

HFC93
12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh dear. Riordan would score 40 a season against such defences.

Remember Clayton Donaldson actually did score about that a year before joining us:faf:

down-the-slope
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Standard was closer to the foot of SFL1 imo.
:agree: at best..I couldn't watch it after about 20mins as the standard was woefull

The Mook
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
That was bloody crap, better than the SPL, :faf: even the yams would beat that lot.:bitchy:

Some of the football Rochdale were playing was as good if not better than what you see in the SPL. Very rarely did you see them hump it up the park. Its a pity they didnt have a cutting edge as they shouldve been out of sight in that game.

To be fair theyre one of the few at that level who try to play (Barnet are decent from what I saw down there anaw). MOst League 1/2 sides play a more physical game.

Spot on from the original poster tho :agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Some of the football Rochdale were playing was as good if not better than what you see in the SPL. Very rarely did you see them hump it up the park. Its a pity they didnt have a cutting edge as they shouldve been out of sight in that game.

To be fair theyre one of the few at that level who try to play (Barnet are decent from what I saw down there anaw). MOst League 1/2 sides play a more physical game.

Spot on from the original poster tho :agree:

You are right, some of the football was decent, but if you dont shut down a team, even hearts could play good stuff. The standard was awful, nowhere near SPL.:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
The amount of money that is pumped into the EPL is artificially inflating the wages and the standard of lower league football in England. I would guess that when you see games from this level and you see a stick out player, then more often than not they are on loan from the Premiership, and they are there because their parent teams are full of highly paid foreigners that have come across for the rich pickings. The only thing english about the EPL is the country that it is played in.

Black Kyle
13-11-2009, 06:39 AM
The Dale boy Dagnall can play at a higher level IMO - have seen him a few times on the box.

Cabbage East
13-11-2009, 07:07 AM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2009, 09:28 AM
The Dale boy Dagnall can play at a higher level IMO - have seen him a few times on the box.

There are players in every SPL side, that could play at a higher level. But saying that tripe on Wednesday was as good as the SPL if not better, well thats just wrong.

SidBurns
13-11-2009, 11:38 AM
It depends what you mean by standard!?!

As someone has previously mentioned, you can get good and bad games no matter what league your watching/are in. This is a FACT!

If your pitting the SPL against other leagues 'technically' then yes in my opinion it is WAY down the spectrum just like the Spanish League is 'technically' better than the Premiership. EVERY player in Spain (including the GK's) have a good first touch, that cannot be said for many other (if any?) leagues in the world.

Technically I also rate the movement of the Russian League players higher than that of the Premiership. If the Premiership didn't have the wads of cash they have the league wouldn't be anywhere near were it is! It's all about money for them...

I remember going down to Coventry v QPR a couple of years back saying that it would be MILES ahead of the SPL, oh how wrong I was, a BORING nil nil!

basehibby
13-11-2009, 12:15 PM

If Rochdale and Luton were in Scotland then they would no doubt end up either in the SPL or at least the 1st Division. However, having watched a few lower league English games I can vouch for the fact that the standard in the SPL is FAR superior.
While I'm sure it was a good game, you also get good games of football in the Scottish 1st division and given their current league standings, that's the sort of level I'd expect from Luton and Rochdale at the moment.