PDA

View Full Version : What is your first derby memory?

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm in my 40s now and came late to supporting Hibernian. I'm Irish so always had a faint interest in the results, was living in England supporting Everton and mildly interested in whether Hibs or Celtic would win. I was vaguely aware that the Jammies had the indian sign over Hibs and wanted that to end.

I met a Hibee and he turned me on to supporting Hibs more and I got more and more into it and would you believe my first actual derby was the 6-2 hammering we gave them in 2000? How lucky is that? I remember it as a 6-1 but they got a late consolation. My friend was ecstatic, I was thrilled and since then I've been a fan.

What was your first game? Good? Bad? Draw?

joe breezy
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I think it was April 1985, midweek, I was in the Hearts end with my dad, I was still a Partick Thistle fan back then but felt uncomfortable in the Hearts end and thought the Hibs end looked much cooler with over 200 Hibs ski hats bouncing around

I think I knew at that point that I'd end up in amongst the Hibs support sooner rather than later

It was 2-2 and I think Hibs got a late equaliser which made it quite amusing

heretoday
10-11-2009, 10:23 PM
1-1 draw at a packed Easter road on 1st jan 1964. Wallace scored for Hearts just after half-time and Neil Martin equalised with a penalty.

Hibs introduced a wee right winger called Johnny Grant whom no one had ever heard of. He was about Jimmy Johnstone's size and very tricky.

There was no "cave" at the north end yet and the east terrace seemed to reach up to the sky. We were in the south standing enclosure by the trackside wall.

Being of small stature I had a wooden box to stand on.

PaulSmith
10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Remember a game at ER when some Hearts fans ran onto the pitch after either Paul Kane scored or Hearts scored, probably about 1984?

Certainly remember the game mentioned above when Joe McBride scored two in the dying minutes the following year.

Been to most derby games since then, strangely enough I would count a game when we won 3-1 at ER as one of the best ones that I enjoyed. Keith, Weir and Harper all scoring in the 2nd half.

jgl07
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
It was at Easter Road in the middle of the miners' strike with a very heavy police presence.

Hibs scored first and looked like winning until Hearts took two late goals.

The crowd were forced apart by the police cordon. The Hibs support were winding the police up with chants of "Arthur Scargill".

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
my first derby game was 1/1/1973 on top of my faithers shoulders in the school end at the tincastle slummery http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/hearts-0-hibs-7-tynecastle/ :0:-:7: :thumbsup:

Nando™
10-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I remember being at Tynecastle in a match we lost 2-1.

Robertson panned a penalty into Jim Leighton's top right corner on the opposite side of the ground to where we were.

For some reason I seem to remember the Hibs support being housed in the Gorgie Stand :confused: Can anyone confirm this?

This was roughly 1996.

HIBERNIALEITH
11-11-2009, 12:14 AM
It probably wasn't my first derby but my first memorable! In the mental corner between the cow shed and East! Got photographed by the Ev News and was "circled" in the Evening Pink that night as "Spot the Fan" - won £25 quid. It was about 18 - 19 years ago!

Remember phoning the News on the Monday and the guy asked what I was wearing to the game to confirm it was me.... I said jeans, denim shirt.... he said what colour of scarf did you wear?.............I said "well, if wisnae ****in maroon thats for sure... the response was "the cheque is on its way hen!!!!" Quality!!
:thumbsup:

Ottawa Hibs
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
The first score I remember was 1/1/73, but the first game I went to was a Scottish Cup game in I think '76. Hibs won 2-0 I think (maybe 2-1), and Drew Busby was playing for them together with some muppet up front with a really stupid looking beard! The things you remember:rolleyes:

monktonharp
11-11-2009, 12:56 AM
I remember being at Tynecastle in a match we lost 2-1.

Robertson panned a penalty into Jim Leighton's top right corner on the opposite side of the ground to where we were.

For some reason I seem to remember the Hibs support being housed in the Gorgie Stand :confused: Can anyone confirm this?

This was roughly 1996.we used to be in the opposite end from nowadays:agree:the piss running down the stairs from the bogs which were at the top.good memories of Hibs flags draped from the backroom windaes of the tenements,when the ey could see the games fae the hoose!

Diclonius
11-11-2009, 02:07 AM
My first derby was also my first Hibs game.

I was late getting into football.

2nd April 2006.

Nuff said.

:boo hoo:

JeMeSouviens
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Scottish Cup quarter final in 1979, also my first game. Watched it from waaay up high on the old terracing.

Hibs won 2-1, the Jambos fought among themselves, happy days. :wink:

Hainan Hibs
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
My first memory/derby was when De La Cruz slammed it in past Niemi from miles out after about 36 secounds.

At the time I thought all derbies went like that:greengrin

Ringothedog
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
My first derby memory is from a Scottish cup tie at tynie...1970/71 I think. 2-1 win for the mighty cabbage. John Hazel and Arthur Duncan were the scorers iirc.:thumbsup:

Zimmy
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
The game at Tynie when we were 3 up after 11 minutes springs to mind.:greengrin

--------
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
My father coming home from a Cup-Tie at Tynie totally hyper and talking non-stop for five hours about Joe Baker. Joe had scored four that afternoon; Hibs won 4-3.

And my dad didn't take ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boo hoo:

mim
11-11-2009, 10:49 AM

That's definitely one of my first memories of a Derby.

I was still outside in the queue waiting to get in when the roars went up.

We didn't know who the hell was scoring until the stewards opened the main gates to let the Hearts fans out. :notworthy:

Joe Baker rattling 4 past them in a Scottish Cup tie was an even earlier memory though. :thumbsup:

Delboy4
11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Must have been around 1973/74 as I remember listening to the famous New Year game the year before on the radio, my dad came in steamin' from the match and told me he would take me next year when I was older as I was only six at the time...:boo hoo:

I remember trying to walk out of Tynie at the end of the game holding onto my Dad's hand but was seperated going through that exit tunnel as it was so so busy and frightening for a wee lad.

Anyone remember the exit that went under the steps which took you out onto Gorgie Road ?
Bl**dy frightening when you got pushed along without touching the ground... :greengrin

HibeePaj
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
My first Derby was my first game and Alex Millers last..
I was 6, remember being in the old west stand, laughing at the woman behind me who was screamin 'break his *****ing legs', CONSTANTLY.

We got beat 3-1 :boo hoo:

Nando™
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
we used to be in the opposite end from nowadays:agree:the piss running down the stairs from the bogs which were at the top.good memories of Hibs flags draped from the backroom windaes of the tenements,when the ey could see the games fae the hoose!
Superb, cheers mate.

Ritchie
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
last saturday and even thats a blur! :drunk:

seriously though, its probably the scottish cup tie at Easter Road when Foster :jamboak: megged leighton! :grr:

poolman
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Is this the same one I was thinking of, I was sure it was 4-0 after 11 mins

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I started going to the games in the middle to late 60s with my dad, but the 1st derby game i can remember is the 7-0 game. Not for the actual match itself, but the journey home. I'm sure the buses were on strike, or not running, and i had to walk all the way back to leith. Then i had to walk along to pirnifield to my aunties, who was having a party.

I walked in, and my dad and grandad who normally went to the games, had not gone, and asked me the score. When i told them, they would not believe me. The radio went on, the telly went on, to find out the score. When it came up, i just remember everyone going mental. Happy days.:thumbsup:

Baker9
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
My father coming home from a Cup-Tie at Tynie totally hyper and talking non-stop for five hours about Joe Baker. Joe had scored four that afternoon; Hibs won 4-3.

And my dad didn't take ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boo hoo:

Fortunately, my dad took me! Hence the username and the avatar and the subsequent years of hero worship. I thought it could never get better in a derby - till 1973. I simply love the Hibs, and all the memories they have given me.

(My dad hadn't been born the last time we won the cup and that hurts just a tad. 'mon Yogi!:thumbsup:)

poolman
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Here's the fella

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/196509181.html

brog
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

It was indeed, actually 4-0 after 10 mins. Yams reckon they lost a fortune that day by late fans not going into game when they heard the score, shame huh!! :wink:
For the record all the goals were scored by 2 great Hibs players & fans, Eric Stevenson & Jim O'Rourke. Jimmy only played because Neil Martin was injured & he stuck in 2 screamers from outside the box. It was also Jummy's birthday, 19th if I remember correctly.
Happy, happy day!!!

Bayern Bru
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I honestly have no idea, although I seem to remember it being a 1-1 draw at ER...

Then again, that could be rubbish. I remember the 6-2 but I'm not entirely convinced that was my first.

green.oracle
11-11-2009, 03:03 PM
My first derby was the 18/9/65 mauling of the yams (4-0). Jimmy O'Rourke and the "rebel" Eric Stevenson 2 apiece.

I have not missed a derby since. Even EOS games when it was the first team that played the fixture.

Can anyone beat my 44 year record?

GGTTH :thumbsup::blah::greengrin:notworthy:

Zimmy
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Yep, what a day :thumbsup:

erskine-hibby
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
0-7:thumbsup:

Munson7
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
The first derby i remember being at was during the bad times in the early nineties, i'm pretty sure Brian Hamilton had a penalty saved towards the Cowshed were i was sitting, the next one i remember was the Wayne Foster game and that was when i realised how much i hated they *****!

It was worth it though cause August 27th 1994 was one of the best games of my life! Will never forget that day....We're gonna celebrate....

Frazerbob
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
My first Derby memory is when I was a ball boy at (I think) the first Derby for a couple of years after Hearts eventually dragged themselves back into the Premier League (1983?). I was behind the goal in front of the Dunbar End when they invaded the pitch. I shat myself!!

Also remember a few years later running to a wee shop on Easter Road to get some chewing gum for Alan Rough. When I ran accross the wee bridge in my Hibs tracksuit against the tide of thousands of Jambos making their way to the game I was abused and spat on several times. When I got back to the stadium I had to change my tracksuit due to the number of gobbings I was covered in. I must have been about 10 or 11 years old. What a delightfull bunch!

Maybe those two memories are why I have a real and genuine hatred for them!

aberhibsfc
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Albino Berry snapping Paul Wright's leg.

I remember those adverts that used to be on the TV too, the one with Archibald and the statement the most important person at ER is you. Never a truer statement used.

heretoday
11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's the fella

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/196509181.html

That game was sensational for 10 mins and dull as hell for the rest of the time!

London Hearts is a great site by the way.

Owain_1987
11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
It was 1991 after the Skol cup final and my brother was mascot :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-11-2009, 05:49 PM
My first game against them was at ER 60/61 I think and we were pumped 5 or 6-1 :boo hoo::bitchy:

Hibercelona
11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
My first game against them was at ER 60/61 I think and we were pumped 5 or 6-1 :boo hoo::bitchy:

5-1

I read that Alex Young scored a hattrick in that game.

O'Rourke3
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Around Sept 1970 0-0 at ER my first Hibs game. Only real memory a Jim Cruikshank save at the Dunbar end which seemed goal bound.

First(and worst) visit to Tynie the 4-1 game after the 7-0 game. Nearly squeezed to death getting out the ground. Somehow managed to get over the wall to the pitch side only to be thrown back into the crowd by the polis- despite protesting. I still hope that bobby's got piles :agree:

gillythehibby
11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
MY old man used to take me to the games before I could speak and I remember night games sitting in the old west stand. One of the derby games I went to on my own was a game at gorgie farm in the eighties when we were getting beat in injury time. The yams are celebrating when Joe Mcbride sticks a free kick right in the postage stamp to get us a draw. Queue the hertz scarves on the pitch !! Hibs end went mental. I remember the running battles outside on Gorgie road. Nice one Joe:thumbsup:

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
The first derby i remember being at was during the bad times in the early nineties, i'm pretty sure Brian Hamilton had a penalty saved towards the Cowshed were i was sitting,

That was in 1992. The Hibs programme that day had a diagram of where Brian Hamilton had placed a penalty the previous week (high and right in the middle of the goals) and he put it in the same position, Gerry McNee joked on Scotsport that Henry Smith must have looked at the programme before the match. :boo hoo:

My first derby was at ER in 1984, dull, boring 0-0 draw.

Judas Iscariot
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Us getting beat :rolleyes:

weecounty hibby
11-11-2009, 08:44 PM
1979 SC quarter final. Hibs won 2-1. I think Gordon Rae and George Stewart got the goals. I was ten at the time and my biggest memory of the game was the Jambos fighting amongst themselves then the police going in and then the next thing is theres a polis mans hat being flung about the Hearts crowd

skipster7
11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Remember a game at ER when some Hearts fans ran onto the pitch after either Paul Kane scored or Hearts scored, probably about 1984?

Certainly remember the game mentioned above when Joe McBride scored two in the dying minutes the following year.

Been to most derby games since then, strangely enough I would count a game when we won 3-1 at ER as one of the best ones I enjoyed. Keith, Weir and Harper all scoring in the 2nd half.

that was gorams 2nd game for hibs,eddy may opened the scoring ,robbo headed for 1-1 then kane scored with a header to win it.:thumbsup:
my own proper first memory at ER was the scottish cup 2-1 win in 79.first at tynie was a 3-2 defeat in 82 with the fatman getting his first goals against us.:grr:

Hiber-nation
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
My first few derbies all seemed to be 0-0s back in the late 60s until we beat them 2-0 away in the Cup in 1971 I think, John Hazel and Arthur Duncan scoring the goals. That sent us on a good run for years only interrupted by that ridiculous 4-1 defeat in 1973.

madhibby
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
My first is a pretty hazy memory but was around 1966/67 and Hibs beat Hearts 4-0 or 4-1 with Pat Quinn I think scoring a hattrick? It was not the game where we beat them 4-0 with Jimmy O'Rourke and Eric Stevenson scoring in the first ten minutes but was around the same time.

I was maybe 10 at the time and I went with my older brother who was and still is a Jambo. I remember watching the game from the Gorgie Road end and it was the last time I went to a derby with my brother!

ronaldo7
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Must have been around 1973/74 as I remember listening to the famous New Year game the year before on the radio, my dad came in steamin' from the match and told me he would take me next year when I was older as I was only six at the time...:boo hoo:

I remember trying to walk out of Tynie at the end of the game holding onto my Dad's hand but was seperated going through that exit tunnel as it was so so busy and frightening for a wee lad.

Anyone remember the exit that went under the steps which took you out onto Gorgie Road ?
Bl**dy frightening when you got pushed along without touching the ground... :greengrin

And the signs on the wall saying "Watch out for pickpockets":jamboak:

deek68
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Hibernian 3 Hearts 0. 1-1-76. Class.

monktonharp
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
And the signs on the wall saying "Watch out for pickpockets":jamboak:that sign is imbeded in my mind! always thought they were a bunch o' torags after seein that:wink:

ronaldo7
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
that sign is imbeded in my mind! always thought they were a bunch o' torags after seein that:wink:

I used to walk through that tunnel with both hands in ma pockets:faf:

lapsedhibee
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
It was indeed, actually 4-0 after 10 mins. Yams reckon they lost a fortune that day by late fans not going into game when they heard the score, shame huh!! :wink:
For the record all the goals were scored by 2 great Hibs players & fans, Eric Stevenson & Jim O'Rourke. Jimmy only played because Neil Martin was injured & he stuck in 2 screamers from outside the box. It was also Jummy's birthday, 19th if I remember correctly.
Happy, happy day!!!

One of JOR's :not worth at the Gorgie Road end:

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Hibs 2-1 Hearts in the Skol Festival Trophy in 1979. A four way tourney with Man City and Coventry City. Little did I realise how few victories over the dark side we would have in the 80's.

The Harp
11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
My first ever game at age of 4 ... sitting on the perimeter wall at Tynie wi' my wee skinny legs (theyre still the same) dangling over at the side of the pitch in '51. And a policeman advising my Dad to get my legs inside in case one o' those nasty H**rts players puts in a dodgy tackle and breaks them. Game finished 1-1. Happy days!

Biggie
11-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Whilst being at the 0-7 game, I can't remember too much about it...other disappointment of only scoring 7 as it was 5-0 at half time. I do remember my uncles saying that they would have a nip after every hearts goal.....I did find that funny :-)

So I'd have to say the first one I really remember was the next derby when they pumped us 4-1 (I think)....I can still see shades firing a header in for an og :boo hoo: that was a bad day....
Donald park played well that day mind....

Peevemor
11-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Skol Festival trophy in 1979 which was also my first match. We won 2-1 with goals from Gordon Rae and Colin Campbell. I also have a vague memory of Jim McArthur hitting the bar from a kick-out.

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1979-80/images/1979080401%20Hibernian%201-2%20Easter%20Road.jpg

Edina Erin
12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Skol Festival trophy in 1979 which was also my first match. We won 2-1 with goals from Gordon Rae and Colin Campbell. I also have a vague memory of Jim McArthur hitting the bar from a kick-out.

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1979-80/images/1979080401%20Hibernian%201-2%20Easter%20Road.jpg

That was mine too. You had Hibs v Hearts followed by Coventry ( sporting their famous Chocolate strip) v Man City all on the same day. Think Hibs were beat by Cov in the "final" on the Wednesday night.
Derbies were pretty rare at that time - hearts were in the 1st Div for two seasons (!) and then we went down as they were promoted

brog
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
One of JOR's :not worth at the Gorgie Road end:

Great pic, thanks!!

brog
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
My first is a pretty hazy memory but was around 1966/67 and Hibs beat Hearts 4-0 or 4-1 with Pat Quinn I think scoring a hattrick? It was not the game where we beat them 4-0 with Jimmy O'Rourke and Eric Stevenson scoring in the first ten minutes but was around the same time.

I was maybe 10 at the time and I went with my older brother who was and still is a Jambo. I remember watching the game from the Gorgie Road end and it was the last time I went to a derby with my brother!

Great game, Pat Quinn hadn't scored for 2 years & then scored a hat trick vs Yams!! The last goal was superb, Quinn & Eric Stevenson playing 1-2's in the air before Quinny lashed it in. Not dissimilar to Russel's magic 6th only from much further out! :thumbsup:

therealgavmac
12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
my first derby game was 1/1/1973 on top of my faithers shoulders in the school end at the tincastle slummery http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/hearts-0-hibs-7-tynecastle/ :0:-:7: :thumbsup:

Seven Nil
Hearts had the first chance of the game but Hibs responded well by scoring 5 times at the Gorgie Road end. Goals by O’Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and two by Duncan gave Hibs a five goal lead at half time. Goals by O’Rourke and Gordon in the second half made the score seven nil.

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

therealgavmac
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
The seven nil was my second derby only, my first was an ER New Years Day game when it was 0-0. Changed days - our family outing to that game (all the family boys ranging from me at about 8 or 9 years old to in their 70's) represented support from the Huns, Smeltic, Jumbos and both Dundee teams!!

therealgavmac
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Hibernian 3 Hearts 0. 1-1-76. Class.

Oh I remember that game! Every time we scored there was a guy started dancin' behind us and he had a "crown" made out of coat hangers covered in green and silver tinsel.

Yessss, happy days!

Exiled Hibby
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
first I can remember was the 1-2 cup win in 70/71 that others mentioned. think I might have been at earlier but they all seemed to end up 0-0 so cant really remember them.
that cup tie was defo the one that cemented my love for the hibees though.

happy days..... :wink::wink:

Steve-O
13-11-2009, 10:37 AM
My first derby memory (although apparently not my first derby) was Keith Houchen scoring at Tynie on his debut...we still got beat 2-1 that day IIRC :grr: