PDA

View Full Version : Question Gazza or gerrard (at their peak) ??

Hakim Sar
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
And saying they are different positions doesn't count!!

CB_NO3
10-11-2009, 05:56 PM
And saying they are different positions doesn't count!!

Gerrard by a mile.

Killiehibbie
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Gerrard by a mile.

I'm guessing you don't remember much about Gazza in his prime?

HibbyAndy
10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Gerrard scores a helleva lot more goals than Gazza did, But Gazza was a better player for me.

Hakim Sar
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Just something me and the boys discussed in pub. someone said gerrard has won more which doesn't mean much although I take into consideration the gerrard cup final vs west ham and champs league 3-3

Gazza took a run of the mill England team to the brink of a world cup (something maradona is heralded for with a similarly crummy argentina)

But I think gazza nicks it. Genius dribbler

Zimmy
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Neither could lace Wullie Hamiltons boots. :greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
i always remwember Gazza at easter road during a pre season friendly and he had the ball and was giving it the old come and take it off me to one of our players when Pat Mcginlay came flying in behind him and put him on his erse:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
Gazza for me, before he done his cruciate, he was the best player in the world imho.

HibbyAndy
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Gazza for me, before he done his cruciate, he was the best player in the world imho.

:agree:

Judas Iscariot
10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Easily Gazza

TheEastTerrace
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Based on sheer raw talent, it's Gazza for me. Could have become one of the world's greats if he didn't have such bad injuries and less than desirable influences on his life outside of football. Gerrard's had some fantastic career moments with Liverpool, but he's never really delivered on the international stage, whereas Gazza was probably one of the top 3 players at Italia 90.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Gazza for me. The other's a diving cheating DJ-punching git.

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Everton are my EPL team and I don't have any time for Gerrard but Gerrard by a mile and yes I did see Gazza live. He was ordinary compared to say Henry, Bergkamp, Rooney. No better than say Stephen Ireland today.

Gazza is a myth created by the TV at Italia '90. He was very skilful but rarely took over in a game and rarely really showed it. Won nothing.

jakedance
10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Everton are my EPL team and I don't have any time for Gerrard but Gerrard by a mile and yes I did see Gazza live. He was ordinary compared to say Henry, Bergkamp, Rooney. No better than say Stephen Ireland today.

Gazza is a myth created by the TV at Italia '90. He was very skilful but rarely took over in a game and rarely really showed it. Won nothing.

Utter drivel.

CyberSauzee
10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Gazza for me. The other's a diving cheating DJ-punching git.

As opposed to a wife beating alcoholic.

Mag7
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Cannae stand Gerrard but that aside, Gazza would be my pick every time.

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Utter drivel.

No. It's an opinion mate. Gerrard is twice the player Gazza was and we wouldn't even be discussing him if he hadn't become a celeb crying at the World Cup.

hibeemikey21
10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I think simply, the crux of the matter is who ended up in the SPL when they were 28?

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I think simply, the crux of the matter is who ended up in the SPL when they were 28?

True. Gascoigne was a sort of poor mans Best. Less talented and with no CV worth talking about. The crux is that Gerrard has been influential in leading Liverpool to major cup final successes in CL and FA Cup. Goals in Big cup finals matter. He has been, along with Torres, the heart of a team which has consistently been top 4 despite being very ordinary compared with Chelsea and United.

IN terms of prue talent Gazza probably shades it but as a footballer Gerrard has far more real concrete achievement. He scored for Liverpool in an FA Cup final. What did gazza do for Spurs on the big stage? Got banjaxed fouling.

CB_NO3
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Gerrard is just awesome, he has dug Liverpool out the sh*t so many times and his goalscoring record is great for a midfielder. He is the most valuable player in the world to their team imo (not saying he is the best) although I would say he aint performed for England aswell as he could, so Gazza has been better at international level, and as someone says you wont see Gerrard in the SPL.

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Both good midfielders, Gazza on talent, Gerrard on application. Both now past their best.

FRes Hibbie
10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Both good midfielders, Gazza on talent, Gerrard on application. Both now past their best.

Gerrard past his best? What exactly is that based on?

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Gerrard is just awesome, he has dug Liverpool out the sh*t so many times and his goalscoring record is great for a midfielder. He is the most valuable player in the world to their team imo (not saying he is the best) although I would say he aint performed for England aswell as he could, so Gazza has been better at international level, and as someone says you wont see Gerrard in the SPL.

Stats don't tell everything but Gerrard has 16 goals for England in 70 odd matches. Gazza scored 10 in 50 odd. Gerrard has a marginally better goals per game record for England and has scored may more EPL goals havingplayed all his career inte top domestic league in world soccer. He is just a better player.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
As opposed to a wife beating alcoholic.Aye, but he hardly did any of that on the pitch. :wink:

ballengeich
10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Gerard has never arrived at a ground too drunk to play.

Tinyclothes
10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Gerrard is the complete, all round midfielder. He's my pick, easy choice. Gazza was excellent though.

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Agree. Gazza was a much better player than Gerrard and would be in my best SPL XI.

I do think it's a bit of an English media myth that Gazza was not as good after this. He was brilliant for Rangers and in Euro '96. I definitely think they were put out by him going to a "Scottish" club.

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Nonsense. I take it you weren't at Ibrox when we got pumped 7-0. Gazza was absolutely unplayable. Gerrard, while a great player, is overhyped in the razzmatazz Sky football age.

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Nonsense. I take it you weren't at Ibrox when we got pumped 7-0. Gazza was absolutely unplayable. Gerrard, while a great player, is overhyped in the razzmatazz Sky football age.

To be honest Your Eminence Gerrard would run riot in today's SPL. Let's be frank about it top class players always look great in Scotland. Laudrup, Larsson etc. I mean Ferguson was POTY in SPL an sanmk without trace in England. Anything Gazza did at Rangers, in a team which had a financial monlpoly in a small league, is irrelevent. He won nothing in England or Italy. He had ability, lots of ability, but there was no end product. No real CV to speak of.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-11-2009, 09:15 PM
More than often, Gazza was playing purely by instinct and that is a quality that only truly world class players have. His goal against us at Euro 96 was genius. :agree:

jakedance
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
To be honest Your Eminence Gerrard would run riot in today's SPL. Let's be frank about it top class players always look great in Scotland. Laudrup, Larsson etc. I mean Ferguson was POTY in SPL an sanmk without trace in England. Anything Gazza did at Rangers, in a team which had a financial monlpoly in a small league, is irrelevent. He won nothing in England or Italy. He had ability, lots of ability, but there was no end product. No real CV to speak of.

Young player of the year at Newcastle. Man Utd wanted to sign him but opted for Spurs, a massive club. Broke his leg in a cup final that Spurs won. Moved to Lazio where he couldn't settle and broke his cheekbone and his leg again.

Despite serious injuries and the fact he's clearly an eejit he still won 57 caps for England and was in the teams of the tournament at Italia 90 and Euro 96.

Not a bad CV for someone with Gascoigne's demons. You don't need to play for the best team and win everything going to be a great player.

Gerrard has had, and will continue to have, a great career because he's a tremendous player but he couldn't lace Gazza's boots.

But then I'd take Maradonna and Best over Pele and Beckenbauer any day.

blueisthecolour
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Gazza for me.

ballengeich
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Gazza's best work always came against weak opposition. His Euro 96 goal against us followed a penalty miss when our heads were down. He'd disappeared for the preceding 20 minutes. When Gazza met strong opposition he fell apart - his European Cup performances for Rangers were consistently poor.

Gerard may not be so good technically, but has some character.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Gerard may not be so good technically, but has some character.

:agree: with that. The diver's performance in that 3-3 CL final was as gutsy as I've ever seen.

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2009, 10:22 PM

If Gazza was in his pomp now rather than 15-20 years ago, the argument would be whether you play Lampard or Gerrard alongside him for England.

Laudrup and Larsson played for the OF because they got paid top dollar. Players like them are why other teams didn't get a look in at the title. Both would have been superstars in any league. Ferguson tried to get Larsson from Celtc twice for man Utd.

Ferguson never tried a leg at Blackburn because his heart wasn't in it. He never wanted to leave the huns at that point.

Marabou Stork
10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Gerrard past his best? What exactly is that based on?

His fairly poor injury record over the past year or so?

Kato
10-11-2009, 11:57 PM

This is the truth.

rainman
11-11-2009, 02:24 AM
In terms of consistent effectiveness, Gerard is probably better.

If you asked me who I'd rather pay to see, it would be Gazza every time.

HFC 0-7
11-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Eh? The media must have super imposed the players onto thetv that he was skinning then!

Wilson
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Gazza.

Stevie Reid
11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Gazza took a run of the mill England team to the brink of a world cup

Run of the mill? Right then :bitchy:

Probably the best forward line in Europe at the time, the rest wasn't exactly bad either: -

Shilton
Stevens
Pearce
Walker
Butcher
Platt
Gascoigne
Waddle
Beardsley
Lineker
Barnes

Rest of the squad included Bryan Robson, Trevor Steven, Paul Parker, Steve McMahon, Mark Wright and Chris Woods.

Incidentally for those who say Gascoigne won nothing (which isn't true), Alan Shearer won one medal his whole career - was he not a great player?

Gerrard is an absolutely awesome player and would probably rather have him in my team due to his all round game. Gazza was unbelievable too though, and it was a privilege to see him in the SPL.

Hibs On Tour
11-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Gazza, every day of every week.

PansHibs
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Just something me and the boys discussed in pub. someone said gerrard has won more which doesn't mean much although I take into consideration the gerrard cup final vs west ham and champs league 3-3

Gazza took a run of the mill England team to the brink of a world cup (something maradona is heralded for with a similarly crummy argentina)

But I think gazza nicks it. Genius dribbler

Gerrard took one of the worst liverpool european teams and for me single handledly won them the Champions League

jacomo
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Gazza for me.

There's a shock! :wink:

It's a good argument - for consistency, you'd have to say Gerrard, although Gazza did more on the international stage.

Both unlikeable characters, though.

Steve20
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Gazza by a fair bit.

Part/Time Supporter
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM

That's a bit unfair given that in those days the Huns were paying as much for players as most of the big clubs in England. It wasn't as if every Premiership club passed on Gazza, which would have to happen now for any player to end up at either half of the OF. That's shown by the facts that two Premiership clubs (Boro and Everton) signed Gazza after he was at Rangers, and he was demonstrably past his best by then.

gillythehibby
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Gazza eveytime. Sublime !