PDA

View Full Version : Rival fans to sit together again?

stu in nottingham
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
A scheme soon to be trialled at Nottingham Forest's City Ground in a fixture against Doncaster Rovers sees rival fans being able to sit alongside each other after purchasing family tickets in one section of the Brian Clough Stand.

An interesting idea? One small step forwards? There will be a good few on here that remember mixing in with Hearts fans on derby day no doubt. Who would welcome those days back?

Rival fans sit together at ground (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8350858.stm)

Joe Baker II
10-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Very welcome and long overdue altohugh would need time and close planning at first. Would be interesting if the thicker supporters (of all clubs including Hibs) would be so abusive if those they are abusing are standing in proximity.

aberhibsfc
10-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Think it's fine for family sections.

It works at the Rugby but it's kinda weird too, because you get a bit of jibbing right in your ears and the atmosphere is different. The noise is saturated across the stadium but doesn't have the same buzz as say sitting in the East when your all in full song.

There is the risk of an element causing trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting alongside either of the bigot brothers.

For me the atmosphere would not be as good.

Keith_M
10-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I've been suggesting this very same thing for ER for quite a while.

I can't see there's anything wrong with doing this in Family Sections, as long as all those in the section realise that any abuse of opposing fans would result in immediate ejection from the stadium.

:notworthy:

joe breezy
10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Nah

Keith_M
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Nah

Well thought out argument, eloquent and to the point.

:faf:

kennyh
10-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I am sure that Fulham have a stand that is mixed. Maybe one of the London lads can confirm but i am sure I read about it recently.

I think its a good idea to have a mixed family section as it encourages acceptance of others.

khib70
10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
:agree:Care would obviously have to be taken with some of our more knuckle dragging opponents. But this could work.

Was at the Allianz Arena in Munich in September for a Munich 1860 game. Despite the evident (but never threatening) fanaticism of the home support, there were two or three groups of away fans in our section at the home end. They were fully decked out in their club colours (green and white hoops :jamboak:) and gave it laldy when their team scored. No one, home supporters, stewards, or police, turned a hair. So it can be done even in places where the amount of passion among the support is pretty high.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I can't see there's anything wrong with doing this in Family Sections, as long as all those in the section realise that any abuse of opposing fans would result in immediate ejection from the stadium

There would have to be a new guide to acceptable language printed on the back of tickets, for the avoidance of doubt. Being up to any part of your legs in any sort of liquid would be out; 'old chap' and 'my dear fellow' de rigeur.

Joe Baker II
10-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Think it's fine for family sections.

It works at the Rugby but it's kinda weird too, because you get a bit of jibbing right in your ears and the atmosphere is different. The noise is saturated across the stadium but doesn't have the same buzz as say sitting in the East when your all in full song.

There is the risk of an element causing trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting alongside either of the bigot brothers.

For me the atmosphere would not be as good.

You are not wrong - but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

As you say there is a risk but any risk can be managed (do not want to sound too corporate here) if the will and proper arrangements are there. Actually does happen at several Scottish grounds anyway. And what you say is no reason for not having a pilot (similar issue to sale of alcohol).

But to work has to apply to Old Firm too as cannot ignore the biggest clubs, advantage is the more genuinely offensive chants likely to reduce if guys (it is almost almost men) are in proximity to those they are abusing.

TheEastTerrace
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
For me, it's something that could only really work in a family section of the stadium and with some rules in place to ensure acceptable etiquette between the two fan groups. Given the volatility of some of our fixtures (e.g. Hearts, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen), it could never be rolled out to a large area of the stadium. There is just too much potential for violence. I can recall a number of past incidents over the years at Easter Road and Hampden, where opposition fans have bought tickets for our end and being on the recieving end of a few digs once they were outed i.e. celebrating their team's goal.

PeeKay
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I’m sorry, but those advocating mixed support within “family” areas are being naïve. Some of the vilest sectarian bile I have ever heard at ER came from the mouth of a five-year-old, while his old man looked on with a smile of pride on his face.
I’m happy with the segregation the way it is. Without it I doubt my wife would ever have let me take my boy to ER.

PiemanP
10-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not keen on the idea. I think it would kill any atmosphere.

I've been to rugby games and dont feel i can properly support my team if one of the opposition is next to you.

we'll be looking to start applauding away teams goals next...

--------
10-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I’m sorry, but those advocating mixed support within “family” areas are being naïve. Some of the vilest sectarian bile I have ever heard at ER came from the mouth of a five-year-old, while his old man looked on with a smile of pride on his face.
I’m happy with the segregation the way it is. Without it I doubt my wife would ever have let me take my boy to ER.

Yup. I remember unsegregated crowds on terraces. the great thing about the terraces was that when something kicked off you could usually make a sharp exit stage left. You can't do that in seating.

Imagine finding yourself sitting next to Boabster or Shaun Lawson.

Or (assuming that either of them is a life-form capable of reproduction and not some sort of Frankenstein's Monster) their offspring.... :jamboak:

Godsahibby
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I've been Hillsborough on many occasions and they have a mixed end.

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Having sat in the PBS hospitality with some of them on Saturday, I'm more in favour of segregation than ever. Absolutely charmless, humourless cretins to a man.

Antifa Hibs
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Mixed sections?

To hell with that.

They have a system in Germany in some grounds were the geeks of both teams can sit to together with their Telegraph papers, flasks and tartan rugs while discussing the tory party no doubt, meanwhile the 'normal' fans go into their segragated ends.

Why anyone would want to sit with oppossing fans is mental. Happy to sip a pint before or after with rival fans talking about the game, but during the game itself..? Nah, no chance.

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Not for me thanks, not that I let rip at opposition fans or players, but I do like listening to some of the people around me about what they have to say about the opposition.

Keep them seperate, even in the family end, as who knows who you could be getting sitting beside you each week, could be someone with a family and respectable, or it could be some nutter going nuts the whole game.

Many fans cant be trusted when they are sitting in another stand to the opposition, so imagine what it would be like if they were sitting next to you!

--------
10-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Having sat in the PBS hospitality with some of them on Saturday, I'm more in favour of segregation than ever. Absolutely charmless, humourless cretins to a man.

They have human beings in there? :confused:

How long were you in decontamination afterwards?

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM

I hope you stood on a giant dog turd before entering and trailed it right through hospitality!

Bad Martini
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Now then, I long for the day when someone opens the gate to Ibrox or Parkheid, lets them all in, shuts the gates and cleans up the mess later.

I'll vote for that. :greengrin :thumbsup:

DC_Hibs
10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Happens all the time in Germany- mostly when the official away end is sold out and away fans buy tickets for sections closest to their end. It's also often less hassle just to order direct as you know straight away you have got the ticket/s rather than having to applying through own club and then waiting to hear.

There are certain sections that are no-go for away fans of course where they wouldn't be tolerated (much like the east at ER would be).

Have seen plenty differences of opinion but nothing too serious but I think the fans are much more tolerant than they would be in Scotland.

I dont see the need for it and cant see any benefit other than giving away fans the option to exceed their official allocation.

Baader
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
No thanks. No problem mingling with opposing fans after a game in a pub or wherever else but not during it.

The family thing is probably a good idea but pretty unworkable I'd think. Can remember trouble in those sections when I was a kid. It's pretty hard to enforce...

Prefer to spent games in the Hibby fraternity! :thumbsup:

--------
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Now then, I long for the day when someone opens the gate to Ibrox or Parkheid, lets them all in, shuts the gates and cleans up the mess later.

I'll vote for that. :greengrin :thumbsup:

Maybe we make the SuperFinal in Helmand an Old Firm game?

Then the Taliban would do the clean-up for us.... :devil:

Hibs On Tour
10-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Where about were you Bob? We were the table of 4 Hibee's bang in the middle of the Gorgie Suite if you were in there. Just this morning got the stench of them off me...

:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Maybe we make the SuperFinal in Helmand an Old Firm game?

Then the Taliban would do the clean-up for us.... :devil:

Aye, but are ye's Catholic Taliban or Proddy Taliban?

:wink:

--------
10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Aye, but are ye's Catholic Taliban or Proddy Taliban?

:wink:

:faf:

Owain_1987
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I have sat next to Celtic fans in the west stand before at games and they got very upset at my dislike for them my response was don't like it don't sit in the home end. So to me it sounds like not a good idea at all but if you want to sit next to rival fans in a family atmosphere that is your choice.

_hucks_
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
My issue with it, is that I want home fans to have priority on tickets. I wouldn't be happy if I wanted tickets for a game at Easter Road, but they were sold out because what used to be the home end was rammed with opposition support. I also quite enjoy giving the other team a wee bit of abuse when I'm at the game - it's something you can do in a like minded crowd, so long as you're able to switch it off once you're out of the stadium.

Mag7
10-11-2009, 01:04 PM
The main reason I no longer attend derbies is because the atmosphere is pure poison, especially at Tynecastle. I think that while there remains a segment of good humour among the travelling Hibs support the hatred which emanates from the other three stands is disturbing. I sometimes wonder how some of the people who populate these stands are able to live a normal life, so consumed are they with bitter, vein-popping venom over a game of football. I would certainly advocate a return to non-segregation at the derby as it would hopefully dilute the aggressive atmosphere. The problem is that all-seated stadia are actually designed for segregation, whereas back in the terracing days, mingling was much easier. You could even wander down to the other end at half time.

jgl07
10-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Yup. I remember unsegregated crowds on terraces. the great thing about the terraces was that when something kicked off you could usually make a sharp exit stage left. You can't do that in seating.

Imagine finding yourself sitting next to Boabster or Shaun Lawson.

Why would you travel to Oxford or Norwich?

Joe Baker II
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
My issue with it, is that I want home fans to have priority on tickets. I wouldn't be happy if I wanted tickets for a game at Easter Road, but they were sold out because what used to be the home end was rammed with opposition support.

I also quite enjoy giving the other team a wee bit of abuse when I'm at the game - it's something you can do in a like minded crowd, so long as you're able to switch it off once you're out of the stadium.

Season tickets generally cover the first point. In any case, it is a very small number of games in Scotland that actually sell out at moment so do not see that as insurmountable issue - those who really want to get to game tend to get there anyway.

Sort of agree with your 2nd point and I certainly do not want atmosphere at football to be like rugby union but do not think it is justifies segregation.

linlithgowhibbie
10-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I used to take 2 of my kids to the family end of st Johnstone which was mixed, never any bother

lucky
10-11-2009, 02:49 PM
This is not a good idea. Fans are now a lot less tolerant than days gone by. In the last few years when the ill firm have came to ER for end of season games there has been a splattering of them around the West stand and it causes nothing but bother.

Frankly i think it would kill what little atmosphere that is left in Scottish football

Keith_M
10-11-2009, 02:55 PM
In the last few years when the ill firm have came to ER for end of season games there has been a splattering of them around the West stand and it causes nothing but bother.

Jeezo! That's sounds a bit over the top!!!

:greengrin

basehibby
10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I think the idea of having a small mixed section is spot on - and to all the posters poo-pooing this idea - don't you have ANY mates that support football teams other than Hibs???

Personally I have mates who support Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Raith Rovers, Kilmarnock - and yes - even Hearts :shocked:

If there was an area where we could sit together and both vocally support our teams without fear of getting battered off some radge then I'd be all for it. :thumbsup:

blueisthecolour
10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I remember mixing with aberdeen fans in the skol cup final at hampden, never any trouble.

_hucks_
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Season tickets generally cover the first point. In any case, it is a very small number of games in Scotland that actually sell out at moment so do not see that as insurmountable issue - those who really want to get to game tend to get there anyway.

Sort of agree with your 2nd point and I certainly do not want atmosphere at football to be like rugby union but do not think it is justifies segregation.

I was thinking with the OF in mind - they bring a large travelling support, and who knows how crowd sizes will change in the future? I've not had a season ticket for a long time now, which in the past was due to not having the money whilst i was at school, i then got a job which meant I didn't have every match day free and now live in another city, and theres others like me who cant get season tickets that may in some circumstances be denied tickets because of other clubs fans taking them up.

--------
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Why would you travel to Oxford or Norwich?

He MIGHT be allowed to come to a game of nhe asked his Mum really nicely. :devil:

Hainan Hibs
10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Piss poor idea that would kill the atmosphere at games, it's an idea for men who wear man bags, buy overly priced "americanos" at Starbucks and shop at M&S most probably for prawn sandwiches.

soupy
10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
A scheme soon to be trialled at Nottingham Forest's City Ground in a fixture against Doncaster Rovers sees rival fans being able to sit alongside each other after purchasing family tickets in one section of the Brian Clough Stand.

An interesting idea? One small step forwards? There will be a good few on here that remember mixing in with Hearts fans on derby day no doubt. Who would welcome those days back?

Rival fans sit together at ground (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8350858.stm)

Not for me, and i dont think many people who sit in the family section would be up for it either........Cant see it ever happening anyways...

Joe Baker II
10-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I was thinking with the OF in mind - they bring a large travelling support, and who knows how crowd sizes will change in the future? I've not had a season ticket for a long time now, which in the past was due to not having the money whilst i was at school, i then got a job which meant I didn't have every match day free and now live in another city, and theres others like me who cant get season tickets that may in some circumstances be denied tickets because of other clubs fans taking them up.

But arrnagements can be reviewed if it demand > supply becomes an issue in due course, at moment I do not think anyone who really wants to get tickets for any Scottish game has a problem.

Joe Baker II
10-11-2009, 04:55 PM
This is not a good idea. Fans are now a lot less tolerant than days gone by. In the last few years when the ill firm have came to ER for end of season games there has been a splattering of them around the West stand and it causes nothing but bother.

Frankly i think it would kill what little atmosphere that is left in Scottish football

But if it was acceptable that fans did mix the idiots who find it unacceptable that fans of other teams are watching in the same area of ground would become increasingly ostracised, they can currently justify reacting like twats by saying "they shouldn't be there." But bringing this in requires organisation in its initial stages I do agree.

As I posted earlier there are plenty of grounds where fans in Scotland do watch together - I do not see one iota of evidence that this reduces atmosphere.

ScottB
10-11-2009, 05:01 PM
If we stop all the idiots with the mental age of 8 who find it a good idea to batter everyone not wearing the same colour strip as them, why not. But I can't see that happening.

basehibby
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Piss poor idea that would kill the atmosphere at games, it's an idea for men who wear man bags, buy overly priced "americanos" at Starbucks and shop at M&S most probably for prawn sandwiches.

Cobblers! How would it kill the atmosphere to have a SMALL area designated as mixed???
Also how does having mates that don't support Hibs that you might want to watch a game with make you Mr Man Bag???

NOLA
10-11-2009, 05:30 PM
i think it would take away even more atmoshere from grounds that are crying out for some noise at present

Mixu62
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Also notice that Forest are trying it out against Doncaster, who with all due respect, are not likely to pose much of a risk of a riot. I'd like to see how it'll go when they play Derby, or Notts County or Leeds. For low risk games, fair enough but you can't mix it up for the more intense grudge matches. Also wonder what they'd do if all the kids in the family area started knocking the **** out of each other! A real baby crew!

Joe Baker II
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
If we stop all the idiots with the mental age of 8 who find it a good idea to batter everyone not wearing the same colour strip as them, why not. But I can't see that happening.

As per above the dimwits who tend to react as you describe have the mentality of Huns/Tims/Jambos/whoever should not be in our end have the excuse that "trespassing" (for want of better word) is officially (though not legally) disapproved of.

By taking this excuse away it would be much easier for the majority who have no problem watching games with other fans to ostracise those who cannot accept this and even ban them if needed (hope it would not come to this), but it does need planning to bring in. Given Hibs reputation for innovation has not been evident for many years, would be good to start this at ER.

Hibs Giant
12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Nah

I'm with you.