PDA

View Full Version : NHC Darren Ferguson sacked

Part/Time Supporter
09-11-2009, 04:47 PM
bit of a shocker

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2721212/Darren-Ferguson-sacked-as-Peterborough-manager.html

another name to link with the Yams job when Csaba finally lands another job

:greengrin

Mag7
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Seems a daft decision. He's done great with them and should surely have been given a bit longer. To come up two divisions so quickly and then have to find your feet in the Championship is a big ask. Even smaller clubs seem to have ideas above their station these days.

Leith Green
09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Didn't Darren Ferguson turn down the Reading job in the summer, as he wanted to stay loyal to Peterbrough??

Is so then pretty p!ss poor from the club he just won back to back promotions with!

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Terrible decision to sack him to be honest.

He got them out of league 2 into league 1 then into the championship... And he's been sacked because they are bottom of the Championship? :bitchy:

Risboro Hibby
09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Didn't Darren Ferguson turn down the Reading job in the summer, as he wanted to stay loyal to Peterbrough??

Just the reason why Managers never stay loyal these days. They all know they are only a few bad results away from the sack

Would imagine he wont be out of a job long

magpie1892
09-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I saw his side on Saturday and they were bloody awful.

DaveF
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Barry Fry was on the radio just last week saying he (Ferguson) was doing a great job and there was no way he would be sacked.

Wonder if Barry will do the decent thing and walk too.......

HibbyAndy
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Barry Fry was on the radio just last week saying he (Ferguson) was doing a great job and there was no way he would be sacked.

Wonder if Barry will do the decent thing and walk too.......

Barry Fry cooking up trouble i think ...........

Cod Boy
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
i hope they go down to where darren ferguson took them from shocking decision

ScottB
09-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm surely theres something more than just results going on here?

Otherwise it's insane! Essentially sacking managers for exceeding the boards expectations, as happened with Derby a few years ago, if you get promoted quickly but don't spend it's hardly the bosses fault.

Dashing Bob S
09-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Smacks of St Mirren's highly enlightened decision to sack his father.

Doubt Darren F will be in the dole queue for long, he obviously has the goods.

I suspect he's disinclined to brown-nose the local egomanics who tend toinfest the boardrooms at that level, and this, more than results, is the key factor.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Only two wins away from mid-table? Seems a bit unfair given that they are probably at their level just now, as a decent 1st div side but in the Championship. Some real big teams around them though.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Terrible decision to sack him to be honest.

He got them out of league 2 into league 1 then into the championship... And he's been sacked because they are bottom of the Championship? :bitchy:

:agree:"loveable" rogue Barry Fry took them straight down 2 divisions when he arrived at Peterborough, and he is still involved at the club.

basehibby
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a very stupid and short sighted decision from the Posh board - Peterborough are one of the wee-er teams in that league and, unless there's been masses of cash spent, have no real right to expect anything other than a relegation battle this season.
Meanwhile with the season just started and nowhere near adrift they see fit to sack a manager with a track record of success with them. As far as the board is concerned they totally deserve to go down now IMO - feel sorry for the fans and the players though.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a very stupid and short sighted decision from the Posh board - Peterborough are one of the wee-er teams in that league and, unless there's been masses of cash spent, have no real right to expect anything other than a relegation battle this season.
Meanwhile with the season just started and nowhere near adrift they see fit to sack a manager with a track record of success with them. As far as the board is concerned they totally deserve to go down now IMO - feel sorry for the fans and the players though.

there'll be more to this one than just what happens on the park. Watching the goings on at Posh down the years is just like watching the yam Show, only recently, with money. Good fans, difficult to pin down what the owners are up to, potentially valuable site, and Barry Fry. A heady mix. Fergusons the best manager they have had in my time down here.

Hiber-nation
09-11-2009, 07:25 PM
If the decision is solely down to results it is a crazy one. There must be more to it than that you would think.

StevieC
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I watched them on Saturday and they were a shambles, especially at the back.

He has done well to get them to the Championship but he's probably taken them as far as he can, and it needs someone with a bit more experience to try and stop them going straight back down.

HibbyAndy
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Look at Doncaster..they were in the Vauxhall conference in 00!.. beat Leeds in a playoff 2 years ago and have consolidated in the Championship!

Just thought ad say that :greengrin

McHibby
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I am really suprised at that, I don't think he's been given a fair crack of the whip tbh. I like Peterborough, I hope this doesn't mean their season collapses completely. I went to see them a few weeks ago in the Carling Cup against Newcastle, it was very cool to be in a terraced stand again. Bring Back the Terracing :hijack::devil:

StevieC
09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
it was very cool to be in a terraced stand again

And for that very reason I am going to pull out all the stops to ensure I am in Peterborough on April the 3rd!

I'm looking forward to reliving the 80's.

ancient hibee
09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
He was being linked with Hull at the weekend-watch this space.

HibeeUnderwood
09-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm sure theres a small chance "Daddy" will quietly mention his digust at his boy being sacked after the success that he has given the club over the past couple of years.

I know for a fact that Fry is an ******** so I hope that for the good of that club he goes too! :grr:

Calvin
10-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Disgraceful decision - who was really expecting a barely improved league two side to be an instant hit in the Championship? They were there down to Ferguson's excellent management yet he is sacked the second the don't do amazingly.

They deserve to go down now.

Caversham Green
10-11-2009, 08:23 AM

Is so then pretty p!ss poor from the club he just won back to back promotions with!

I think it was Peterborough that blocked that move rather than DF.

He might just get another shot at the job if 'Buck' carries on the way he's going.

Posh Swanny
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
There is still nothing official from the club but the strongest rumour is of a big fall out between MacAnthony and Fergie on where to go from here and subsequently a "mutual" decision to part ways.

Suffice to say, the vast majority of Posh fans are absolutely gutted that he's gone/going. Its not often you hear that when the team have been playing as poorly as we have so far this season - and those who were at St James's on Saturday have already testified to that!

And whatever happens from here on in, Darren Ferguson will likely be a lot better off in the short term than we will be. :boo hoo:

number 27
10-11-2009, 09:07 AM
The owner of The Posh (Mcdonagh?) has put a lot of money in to the club and expects more.

An owner like that is a kind of double edged sword for a manager. He gets the success and credit if things go well when it could be said he is just outspending the opposition. The downside is that he cannot expect patience if things go wrong.

To my mind Ferguson has not yet shown he can be a success without the benefit of a large budget.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm sure theres a small chance "Daddy" will quietly mention his digust at his boy being sacked after the success that he has given the club over the past couple of years.

I know for a fact that Fry is an ******** so I hope that for the good of that club he goes too! :grr:

I know Barry very well, can you explain what you said please?:confused:

Ritchie
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
bit of a shocker

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2721212/Darren-Ferguson-sacked-as-Peterborough-manager.html

another name to link with the Yams job when Csaba finally lands another job

after pool's result last night, put all your wages, savings, cars, property & childrens uni fund on him landing the job at anfield..... after all, "he'd win the league with them" :faf::faf::faf:

HibeeUnderwood
10-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I know Barry very well, can you explain what you said please?:confused:

Certainly :thumbsup:

As my avatar shows, I am a Hibs and Southend Utd fan, and Barry Fry was Southends manager in the 90's and led them to great success, nearly achieving promotion to the premiership. But Birmingham City stole Fry from us, Fry took all the good players and Southend ended dropping down to League 2 and almost out of the football league. As far as I am concerned, he is a money grabbing arse! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Certainly :thumbsup:

As my avatar shows, I am a Hibs and Southend Utd fan, and Barry Fry was Southends manager in the 90's and led them to great success, nearly achieving promotion to the premiership. But Birmingham City stole Fry from us, Fry took all the good players and Southend ended dropping down to League 2 and almost out of the football league. As far as I am concerned, he is a money grabbing arse! :agree:

So its just jelousy that the man gave southend, a poxy little club the best years in their history, and then moved to a much much bigger club. Yip the first man in history to do this despicable act. And of course you would never leave your job, for one paying 5 times your salary.:faf:

HibeeUnderwood
10-11-2009, 10:00 AM
So its just jelousy that the man gave southend, a poxy little club the best years in their history, and then moved to a much much bigger club. Yip the first man in history to do this despicable act. And of course you would never leave your job, for one paying 5 times your salary.:faf:

It doesn't matter too much now, everybody has moved on :agree:

Still shouldn't have got rid of Ferguson though! :dunno:

Posh Swanny
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM

What about... buy a football club twice. Not have enough money twice. Get bailed out by a rich businessman twice. Manage the club to relegation twice. Make an embarrassing behind-the-scenes documentary... twice. Hand the club's stadium to a property developer (who is now holding the club to ransom) and still be employed at the club?

FRes Hibbie
10-11-2009, 11:12 AM
What about... buy a football club twice. Not have enough money twice. Get bailed out by a rich businessman twice. Manage the club to relegation twice. Make an embarrassing behind-the-scenes documentary... twice. Hand the club's stadium to a property developer (who is now holding the club to ransom) and still be employed at the club?

I have absolutely no idea who is right or wrong here...but that sounds like an altogether better argument than the first one. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
10-11-2009, 06:00 PM

:agree: wasn't there an interesting newspaper article about the way the club and the property assets were carved up?

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Never said he was any good at what he did, but he's not a ****er like the original poster said. He's also mortgaged his house to help pay the players wages, and keep the club going, not many would do that, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't.

HibeeUnderwood
10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Never said he was any good at what he did, but he's not a ****er like the original poster said. He's also mortgaged his house to help pay the players wages, and keep the club going, not many would do that, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't.

I actually called him something beginning with A :wink:

I doubt Fry will leave, I'm sure being bottom of the championship isn't a great thing, but he's still very happy at the club :agree:

jacomo
10-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Who knew there were so many Posh fans on Hibs.net, eh?

No surprise that Blackpool likes Barry Fry, though. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Who knew there were so many Posh fans on Hibs.net, eh?

No surprise that Blackpool likes Barry Fry, though. :greengrin

I know him from his Barnet days, he's a right decent bloke when you get to know him. I could tell you some storys that would make your hair curl, :wink:especially about stan flashman.:greengrin

joe breezy
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
It does seem a strange decision, not quite as strange as Middlesbrough appointing Gordon Strachan though. Funny I used to like Gordon Strachan too... Seems a long time ago

Posh Swanny
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM

It really is hard to describe what Barry Fry means to Peterborough fans. Aside from the disastrous attempts at ownership, perhaps if you were to imagine what Easter Road would be like today if Bobby Williamson was still in charge and things on the pitch hadn't improved. Then imagine what it would be like if he was still in charge in 2012, by which time Hibs are a firmly established mid-table 1st Division side and heading towards a long, slow death. Finally imagine that everyone else thinks he is a top bloke who is good for the game.

It almost reached the point where a good proportion of fans wished the bank had turned down his re-mortgage application. Just so we could start all over again.

Posh Swanny
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Cracking performance from "the character" at today's press conference. :faf:

Bostonhibby
12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Heres what some of the fans published a few years ago. No idea if correct or current.

http://www.theposhtrust.co.uk/downloads/newsletters/19.pdf