PDA

View Full Version : Playing for the enemy.

Rory89
09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I remember a conversation I had with a bunch of lads I used to work with. It was a hypothetical argument about if you would take the chance of playing for your biggest rivals, if you were somehow offered it.

One guy who was a typical hun (racist, only went to Eufa Cup finals, orange marcher, I suspect maybe a mason too), was actually saying he would never play for Celtic out of principal, he'd actually rather work for crap money doing a crap job than earn loads as a footballer for them. A Celtic fan agreed that he wouldn't play for Rangers! :confused:

From one extreme to another was a passionate Hibby who'd actually played for Hearts at youth level but never made the grade. He said scoring against his own team would feel so good if he scored for Hearts in a derby he'd be running up to the Hibs fans giving them the shoosh sign :greengrin. Personally I'd have to agree, if in some fantasy world where I wasn't slow as ***** and I was actually good at football, I'd happily let Hearts or anyone else pay me good money to train a couple of hours a day and have a game once a week. In fact, if they paid me I'd happily stand at the top of the Scot Monument with an army jacket and a Hearts scarf belting out "H-E-A-R-T-S" and "One Wallace Mercer".

Are any of you lot in agreement with the Rantic fans here? Personally I would imagine people who say stuff like that are probably trying to make themselves look passionate to make up for their lack of attendance, and would change their mind if genuinely offered it. Opinions?

OstKurve Hibs
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I couldnt imagine pullin that S£$%E coloured top over my head, and defo wouldnt sing there songs.
Your loyalty obviously lies with cash!

Hibs07p
09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I couldnt imagine pullin that S£$%E coloured top over my head, and defo wouldnt sing there songs.

That just about sums it up for me! :jamboak:

Speedy
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't rule it out but it would depend on the alternative. If I was given the option of being a professional footballer at Hearts or not being a professional football then I would choose Hearts. If I actually was a professional and was given the option of playing for other clubs then I would probably try to avoid playing for them.

Sprouleflyer
09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I remember a conversation I had with a bunch of lads I used to work with. It was a hypothetical argument about if you would take the chance of playing for your biggest rivals, if you were somehow offered it.

One guy who was a typical hun (racist, only went to Eufa Cup finals, orange marcher, I suspect maybe a mason too), was actually saying he would never play for Celtic out of principal, he'd actually rather work for crap money doing a crap job than earn loads as a footballer for them. A Celtic fan agreed that he wouldn't play for Rangers! :confused:

From one extreme to another was a passionate Hibby who'd actually played for Hearts at youth level but never made the grade. He said scoring against his own team would feel so good if he scored for Hearts in a derby he'd be running up to the Hibs fans giving them the shoosh sign :greengrin. Personally I'd have to agree, if in some fantasy world where I wasn't slow as ***** and I was actually good at football, I'd happily let Hearts or anyone else pay me good money to train a couple of hours a day and have a game once a week. In fact, if they paid me I'd happily stand at the top of the Scot Monument with an army jacket and a Hearts scarf belting out "H-E-A-R-T-S" and "One Wallace Mercer".

Are any of you lot in agreement with the Rantic fans here? Personally I would imagine people who say stuff like that are probably trying to make themselves look passionate to make up for their lack of attendance, and would change their mind if genuinely offered it. Opinions?

LTYF :wink:

Sir David Gray
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't play for Hearts for all the tea in China.

I could never play against Hibs in an Edinburgh Derby.

HibeeMcGinn1
09-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I would never ever play for Hearts. I work as a Painter and Decorator right now and would happily spend the rest of my days on cold building sites earning horrible money with the fear of losing my job every week rather than playing for them.

£300ish a week P&D - £4000ish a week Hearts

P&D

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Sorry Rory.

But I just couldn't bring myself round to play for that shower of sh**e.

I have a massive hatred towards Hearts as I'm sure you've noticed. :wink:

For anyone who comes on this thread and says they would do it just for the money... Keep in mind that their is no guarantee that you would actually get paid. :cool2:

Malthibby
09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I'd happily play for Hearts in a derby as long as they didn't mind me scoring an o.g. & kicking the ref up the erse to get sent off during the celebration.
GG

Kojock
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
If I was given the option of being a professional footballer at Hearts or not being a professional football then I would choose Hearts.

Make loads of money playing for Hearts or minimum wage licking the toilet clean at the local Dysentry clinic. No argument, point me in the direction of the ***** house. :jamboak:

Killiehibbie
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
If they came knocking and were the only offer you'd be mad not to go out and do a PROFESSIONAL job.

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Make loads of money playing for Hearts or minimum wage licking the toilet clean at the local Dysentry clinic. No argument, point me in the direction of the ***** house. :jamboak:

Which one? :wink:

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
If they came knocking and were the only offer you'd be mad not to go out and do a PROFESSIONAL job.

Exactly... So you would tell them to piss off and you'd go looking for a professional job instead. :wink:

Leith Green
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd sooner stand doon the dole twice a month and get blanked from numerous job applications weekly,than play for that shower of manky bassas .. Fact!

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd sooner stand doon the dole twice a month and get blanked from numerous job applications weekly,than play for that shower of manky bassas .. Fact!

What would be the difference between you and Kingston then?

Apart from the fact that his dole money would be quite a bit larger than yours.... 15,000 actually. :greengrin

Killiehibbie
09-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Exactly... So you would tell them to piss off and you'd go looking for a professional job instead. :wink:

I'd go and get a move to a bigger team like Dundee or Hamilton.

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd go and get a move to a bigger team like Dundee or Hamilton.

There is always an open vacancy at the Leith San Siro. :cool2:

Leith Green
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
What would be the difference between you and Kingston then?

Apart from the fact that his dole money would be quite a bit larger than yours.... 15,000 actually. :greengrin

Mmmm about 75 smelly afro dreadlocks?? :greengrin

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Mmmm about 75 smelly afro dreadlocks?? :greengrin

:greengrin

He doesn't look like he's worth a jot right enough...

He must be saving his pennies real hard... It's not easy being on the dole you know. :wink:

Judas Iscariot
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM

:top marks

FranckSuzy
09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Sorry Rory.

But I just couldn't bring myself round to play for that shower of sh**e.

I have a massive hatred towards Hearts as I'm sure you've noticed. :wink:

For anyone who comes on this thread and says they would do it just for the money... Keep in mind that their is no guarantee that you would actually get paid. :cool2:

:faf: :top marks

Hibs90
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM

:greengrin:jamboak:

Killiehibbie
09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
There is always an open vacancy at the Leith San Siro. :cool2:

I would like to think when I was growing up they'd have come knocking before
anybody else but in this hypothetical situation that's not the case:boo hoo:

HibbyAndy
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Ad never sign for they smellie jakie trampy gorgie bassas!!.

A remember Gareth Evans telling me once the best part about playing fitba was getting paid for a job he loves that he'd do for nothing!

Rory89
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Please tell me where you work, and how I apply. Bare in mind the argument isn't about if you were good enough to be a footballer and Hearts were after you amongst others, it's a decent living (most months) having as enjoyable a job as kicking a ball around with Hearts or your day job. It's a bit of a daft hypothetical argument but as much as we all hate Hearts, I think if any of us turned it down we'd probably regret it when it came round to waking up early doors to do a ***** job which just about pays the bills.

Having said that, I'm slow, unfit, don't score any goals despite playing up-front and can't win a header despite being 6 foot 2, maybe the idea of me playing up-front for Hearts isn't so unrealistic. :greengrin

Cracking banter.

Leith Green
09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Please tell me where you work, and how I apply. Bare in mind the argument isn't about if you were good enough to be a footballer and Hearts were after you amongst others, it's a decent living (most months) having as enjoyable a job as kicking a ball around with Hearts or your day job. It's a bit of a daft hypothetical argument but as much as we all hate Hearts, I think if any of us turned it down we'd probably regret it when it came round to waking up early doors to do a ***** job which just about pays the bills.

Having said that, I'm slow, unfit, don't score any goals despite playing up-front and can't win a header despite being 6 foot 2, maybe the idea of me playing up-front for Hearts isn't so unrealistic. :greengrin

I think the " In fact, if they paid me I'd happily stand at the top of the Scot Monument with an army jacket and a Hearts scarf belting out "H-E-A-R-T-S" and "One Wallace Mercer"." Statement that you also made when you said you'd happily play for Hearts, makes your bemusement at anyone who stated they wouldnt play all the more laughable ..

Kaiser_Sauzee
09-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Agent Nade is a Hibby and is going about it the right way. :agree:

StevieC
09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
In a second.

Fleece them for 10k a week on a 4 year contract and then leave for a Bosman after noising up the commander-in-chief.

I wouldn't move to Hibs after that though because I'm pretty sh*t and wouldn't want to weaken the team (although at 16st I'm still a bit leaner than Nade) .. probably look for a move to rantic.

I personally think we should all be doing exactly the same.

:wink:

steve75
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I would play for hearts, no problem.
jobs a job, if it was a considerably better offer than elsewhere. Being a fan is one thing, I hate the gimey little club but if I was wanting a career in football, I'd take it anyday. However I'd sooner take a top 1st dividion club than if the offer was about the same.

hibsfan7
09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
:notworthy:YES IN A MINUTE
IMAGINE THE SCENE
SCOTTISH CUP FINAL PLAING FOR HEARTS AGAINST HIBS IT GOES TO PENALTIES SUDEN DEATH HIBS ARE 1 UP
I TAKE THE PENALTY IF I MISS HIBS WIN THE SCOTTISH CUP

SORTED

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Argylehibby
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
If I thought I was good enough to progress beyond a bottom 6 team in the SPL then yes I'd play for them. Take their wages for a couple of years and let the contract run out and sign on a Bosman for a better team, hopefully for the Hibs. Unfortunately I'd be injured for every derby match.

After the move spout off in the paper how cr@p they were, what a joke outfit they were and how much better life was at the new club regardless of who it was.

Nah on 2nd thoughts I'd rather be in a dead end job on minimum wage.

ancient hibee
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Most professional players don't support anyone really.Because they've spent all their time playing =up to 100 games a season in some cases-they don't see much professional football.

heretoday
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
If you're a football-daft kid you'd play professionally for anyone. For most kids it's a lot of hard work and dedication to even get noticed so you wouldn't pass up an offer.

I suppose the entrenched divisions in Glasgow might give some boys pause.

I would gladly have signed for Hearts but I wouldn't have gone in for "shooshing". That's a bit undignified, I feel.

You could always do a Willie Hamilton/Alan Gordon and end up at ER in the end!

Franck Stanton
09-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Having had the chance to play for them [ admittedly at under14 level] I point blank refused and even now could not bring myself to even touch that rag they call a strip. As for the money, hey it isn't my god - would rather starve than accept a penny from that mob.

(((Fergus)))
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't be my first choice but if Hearts was the only offer, why not?

The only clubs I wouldn't consider would be Celtic and Rangers - too much blood on their money.

The_Todd
10-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Being the pragmatist that I am I'd rather play for Hearts earning a few thousand a week than working in IT support making 21k a year.

This is fact. It doesn't make me any less a Hibs fan.

johnrebus
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Talk is cheap when the subject is never likely to occur.

So you have the chance to set yourself and your family up - perhaps for life - and you don't take it because you ' ****in hate the Herts ' ?

I don't think so.

Football is a short career, and when its over you still have the rest of your life to despise them.

:jamboak:

heretoday
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't be my first choice but if Hearts was the only offer, why not?

The only clubs I wouldn't consider would be Celtic and Rangers - too much blood on their money.

For fifty-somethings, the teenage years were spent watching some great OF teams and I have to say I would've signed for either of them. I was just crazy about playing football and the thought of getting paid to do it....wow!

PeterboroHibee
10-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I would play for them if given then chance. All those who say they would turn it down are mental, playing professionally is a job, obviously there are examples of players who do stick with their loyalties, but if Hearts are offering thousands of pounds a week compared to a standard job, people would turn that down :confused:?

If I had a family to support etc would jump at the chance, I wouldnt care about who Im playing for, as its a job, and would be getting paid really well.

ahibby
10-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I was offered a trial with them in 82 and knocked it back because wearing their jersey would burn my skin.:agree:

Cropley10
10-11-2009, 06:02 PM

GTF:thumbsup:

wee 162
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm actually mates with someone who KBd a trial with Dundee (well no so much KBd as just didn't turn up for it). Not because he was a Dundee Utd supporter or hated Dundee, but because he went to a Hibs Brechin cup tie on the same day instead.

That's just one for all those who think no-one given an opportunity would ever knock it back because of who they support.

Cropley10
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Most professional players don't support anyone really.Because they've spent all their time playing =up to 100 games a season in some cases-they don't see much professional football.

Most - if not all - of the professional footballers I've met do support a team. It's called having a life.

jdships
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM

:agree:
I played for two teams I hadn't a tadge of "real" feeling for .
Why ?
Because it was my job and they were the only people who would employ me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't speak for today but all those years ago at the first contact you had with a "scout" or manager it was quickly ascertained what religon you and your family were.
Never mind the OF it also covered teams like Albion Rovers and Airdrie .
In the late 40's I would have played for anyone if the money was right - FACT !!!

Storar
11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Imagine being a 25 goal a season striker for Hearts, earning £10k a week and getting your poster on their gay ass stands for being a hero while being touted for a multi million pound move to the Premiership only to let your contract wind down and sign for the Hibs for free :partyhibb

The next derby would be outrageous, especially when you score the winner for Hibs at Tynie and start giving the Jambo fans dogs abuse :hilarious

Yes for me!

Mikeystewart
11-11-2009, 07:13 AM
When i was at school hibs where in the semi finals of the scottish cup against hearts and dundee had gretna. So our P.E class got split into 4 teams hibs hearts dundee gretna. I ended up having to go on the hearts team scored twice against a hibs team with all my other hibby mates, they gave me a good verbal doing over due to the fact im a massive hibby. It felt wrong but in a way exciting can imagine its a similar thing but obviously at a much higher level. Its the irony of a die hard hibs or hearts fan playing for the other side that makes it kinda funny and a guilty pleasure.:devil:

MCC Hibs
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Awright Nishy!

Rory89
11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
[/I][/B][/U]

:agree:
I played for two teams I hadn't a tadge of "real" feeling for .
Why ?
Because it was my job and they were the only people who would employ me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't speak for today but all those years ago at the first contact you had with a "scout" or manager it was quickly ascertained what religon you and your family were.
Never mind the OF it also covered teams like Albion Rovers and Airdrie .
In the late 40's I would have played for anyone if the money was right - FACT !!!

Indeed. For those who say they wouldn't take it because they have too much loyalty to Hibs, are you loyal to PC World, McDonald's, Edinburgh Council or wherever it is you work? Doubt it.

Awright Nishy!

Hey, once Yogi puts the arm roond the shoulder and sprinkles oan a wee bit eh goldust I'll be amazing. :wink:

Another hypothetical question. Say you are asked to play for Hibs now, would you take it? Obviously it sounds obvious as the feeling of playing for the team you support would be amazing, but also consider that the chances are you're probably gash like me, and you would therefore weaken the team.

I wouldn't mind a wee 5 minutes at the end of a game where we're winning 3-0, but start against St Mirren? I'd say no.

Hibercelona
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Indeed. For those who say they wouldn't take it because they have too much loyalty to Hibs, are you loyal to PC World, McDonald's, Edinburgh Council or wherever it is you work? Doubt it.

I really don't know how you can make that comparison. :confused:

You go to PC world to buy a PC, you go to McDonalds to eat & You go to work to make money.

Hibernian football club is a way of life. :notworthy:

As for being more loyal to McDonalds than your club....

Anybody heard of that Nade boy? :devil:

--------
11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
When i was at school hibs where in the semi finals of the scottish cup against hearts and dundee had gretna. So our P.E class got split into 4 teams hibs hearts dundee gretna. I ended up having to go on the hearts team scored twice against a hibs team with all my other hibby mates, they gave me a good verbal doing over due to the fact im a massive hibby. It felt wrong but in a way exciting can imagine its a similar thing but obviously at a much higher level. Its the irony of a die hard hibs or hearts fan playing for the other side that makes it kinda funny and a guilty pleasure.:devil:

LTYF. :devil:

Ollie Reed
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
No. Next?

gillythehibby
11-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Mate, I would rather lick the sweat off your hee haws than play for the ****s !! Nuff said. Money no my God

surreyhibbie
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
The vast majority of guys who want to play professionally would sign for whoever offered them most money and/or the chance to win trophies and play in Europe or for their country.

No contest. The team they support is irrelevant.

Me? I was crap even when I was young enough and fit enough, so it's not an issue. My dream was to play for Hibs, never considered any other team but it was never likely to come to a choice!

as an aside, the son of my cousin (from a family of rabid Jambos) plays for Edina Hibs. It's killing them but they see it as a chance for the bairn to advance so they just get on with it.

erin go bragh
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM

:grr:even the thought of wearing that sheight makes me feel sick.
never in a million years. and as for singing any of thier songs.[its just wrong] :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

PISTOL1875
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM

When it comes to football , who goes out the window when there are offers on the table.. My mates brother is a stonewall Hibee but is on the books at Hearts... I would happily play for Hertz if it meant I got the chance to be a professional footballer...

Hibs Giant
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
He said scoring against his own team would feel so good if he scored for Hearts in a derby he'd be running up to the Hibs fans giving them the shoosh sign :greengrin. Personally I'd have to agree

I wouldn't like to see you or your sick pal in a position of trust (e.g. working with kids or old people), you weirdo.