PDA

View Full Version : Nish's header

RIP
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
After watching Colin's redirect saved by Baloch on Saturday - can anyone remember the game last season where he did something near identical?

Storar
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
After watching Colin's redirect saved by Baloch on Saturday - can anyone remember the game last season where he did something near identical?

Celtic away when we got beat 4-2. We were 2-0 down then brought it back to 2-2:agree:

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM

What get in the way? He does that every time he plays!

RIP
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
What get in the way? He does that every time he plays!

Watch the highlights mate - as Tenacious D was shaping to shoot he changed his feet to get under the shot with his head.

He deliberately changed the flight of the ball - unlucky it was saved by Baloch

ahibby
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Watch the highlights mate - as Tenacious D was shaping to shoot he changed his feet to get under the shot with his head.

:agree: A very deft flick indeed and one that many couldn't replicate.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Nish didnt know much about it! If Nish had that much skill he would be able to stand up for a period of tim without falling over. He would also be able to control a ball. I accept players have off days, but he seems to have one most days.

Argylehibby
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Nish didnt know much about it! If Nish had that much skill he would be able to stand up for a period of tim without falling over. He would also be able to control a ball. I accept players have off days, but he seems to have one most days.

He meant it, just as he did at Parkhead when he scored. I take it you didnt see last weeks game v Aberdeen? It was heading towards an embarrasing nil - nil draw until Nish was brought on. Changed the flow of the game, scored one and was involved in the build up to the 2nd.

Get off his back FFS.

Gatecrasher
09-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Nish is the most under rated player in our team.

Gawn the big man :notworthy:

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 05:53 AM
He meant it, just as he did at Parkhead when he scored. I take it you didnt see last weeks game v Aberdeen? It was heading towards an embarrasing nil - nil draw until Nish was brought on. Changed the flow of the game, scored one and was involved in the build up to the 2nd.

Get off his back FFS.

Couldnt get out the way of it! FFS, look at him. He spends his time on his backside. Now even the manager looks to be getting very frustrated! Good that you are sticking up for a hibby but there comes a time when enough is enough.

get off his back! its not like I am speaking to him, and if he reads this message board I bet he doesnt take much notice!

Alicky Ranks
10-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I've always liked big Nishy. When he was at Killie he struck me as the type of striker I'd like in the Hibs team and was pleased when we signed him. No world beater, but an honest guy who has scored a few important goals for us. The flak he takes from some seems OTT. I also thought he made a genuine effort to re-direct the Wotherspoon shot.

Argylehibby
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
get off his back! its not like I am speaking to him, and if he reads this message board I bet he doesnt take much notice!

what makes you assume that Nish or any other player for that matter doesnt take any notice of whats written on here and other messageboards? Is it so difficult to believe that constant criticism on here might dent a players confidence?

Look at Benji's reaction to his first goal this season, kissing the badge etc. All of that was a reaction to the negative posts, the GTF's etc which were doing the rounds at the time. Players do read messageboards and the majority will be affected by what they read about themselves. Wouldnt you?

JimBHibees
10-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Couldnt get out the way of it! FFS, look at him. He spends his time on his backside. Now even the manager looks to be getting very frustrated! Good that you are sticking up for a hibby but there comes a time when enough is enough.

Did he not score a vital goal last week? The guy can and does do a job for Hibs probably more as a sub than a starter but important nonetheless. The header on Saturday was totally deliberate and only a magnificent save prevented him scoring for a 2nd game on the trot.

Hibs90
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM

You want to spend the rest of your time on your backside?

Get off Nish's back. Even I could quite clearly see that Nish was there to fall about because he was trying to win free kicks for us. Simple, thats his game.

Hibercelona
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't mind big Nish.

But to say that he means to have the ball blasted off his head is stretching it just a little bit. :wink:

TornadoHibby
10-11-2009, 12:54 PM

I thought that it was the Celtc home game last season when we won 2-0 and he got a toe to a shot (think it was from Fletcher or maybe Rankin) coming from the right into the box? :agree: :dunno:

JimBHibees
10-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't mind big Nish.

But to say that he means to have the ball blasted off his head is stretching it just a little bit. :wink:

He deliberately diverted the ball when he saw it was coming towards him.

Hibercelona
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
He deliberately diverted the ball when he saw it was coming towards him.

No he didn't! :greengrin

Wotherspoon leathered that shot.

Nish never had a 1000th of a second to think about it. :wink:

Can't we just accept that Nish is pish (But scores goals)... And that shot just deflected off him and was unlucky not to go in?

To say it was on purpose is nuts to say the least. :crazy:

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
He's the only striker i know that can jump 2 inches below his actual height.

brog
10-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not a Nish fan but I thought he gave his all on Saturday. He also created our only 1st half chance with the knock down to Stokes & regardless, of whether he meant it, his header hit the post. On the other hand I am a Benji fan but he was awful on Saturday. He was constantly 10 to 20 yards away from Nish when ball was played forward & made no effort to try & win the 2nd ball. If Nish gives 100% like that every week he'll make a good contribution to the team.

Peevemor
10-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I can remember times when we would have killed to have a 10 goal per season striker. Nish scores regularly even though he's not getting a regular start. Some of the stuff posted about our players on here really gets on my thrup'nies - mind you, we could always try to get some of JC's signings back! :bitchy:

vanNISHtelroy
10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Nish is the most under rated player in our team.

Gawn the big man :notworthy:

Under rated player when at Killie and looks like it has continued...

LamontJnr
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Get off Nish's back. Even I could quite clearly see that Nish was there to fall about because he was trying to win free kicks for us. Simple, thats his game.

:faf:

FRes Hibbie
10-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Excellent use of the old switcheroo :cb

He will probably score 8ish league goals this season which will be neither our highest nor lowest number. In that respect you could argue that Nish is a decent squad player, gives us something different, etc etc.

Still, I think he has very little footballing ability and even less of a physical presence. I haven't seen the re-run of spontaneous Spooney's effort so I'm not commenting on that in particular. I just think that Nish is a poor player and I find him very frustrating to watch.

RIP
10-11-2009, 03:03 PM
No he didn't! :greengrin Wotherspoon leathered that shot. Nish never had a 1000th of a second to think about it. :wink:

Can't we just accept that that shot just deflected off him and was unlucky not to go in? To say it was on purpose is nuts to say the least. :crazy:

So the rest of us are wrong and you are right? Colin Nish is wrong in your eyes for claiming it was a deliberate head flick? http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Nish-happy-with-a-point.5806317.jp

Unlike you I had the benefit of advancing my ESPN recording at slow speed. For your benefit here's the sequence of events:-

Fantastic Whittaker-esque run by D from the Hibs half
Nish starts a blind side run to the right of the box but halts his run when he sees D shaping to shoot
Without taking his foot back D scoops under (rather than leathers) the ball, sending it towards the far post
Nish extends his neck up to divert the ball towards the near post, shaping his neck and shoulders in the direction of the goals to give it extra power

Hibee_Rab
10-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Can't we just accept that Nish is pish (But scores goals)... And that shot just deflected off him and was unlucky not to go in?

He is a strikers so that's a paradox! Can't we accept that he is good at some things and not good at others rather than being either pish or good? Why does everyone have to fall into one of those two categories on this message board?

FraserHFC
10-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I thought that it was the Celtc home game last season when we won 2-0 and he got a toe to a shot (think it was from Fletcher or maybe Rankin) coming from the right into the box? :agree: :dunno:

That was the squiggler game, it was Rankin who took the shot in the lead up to that goal aswell. If memory serves, that shot was going wide until Nish got a touch on it :agree:

Storar
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM

That was the squiggler game, it was Rankin who took the shot in the lead up to that goal aswell. If memory serves, that shot was going wide until Nish got a touch on it :agree:

That did happen but it's not what the OP is talking about.

Against Celtic at Parkhead last season Fletcher took a shot from about 25 yards and it hit Nish (on the head I think) and diverted in. Similar to saturdays

TornadoHibby
10-11-2009, 04:18 PM

When you come on here wee_hibee you must believe that the rest of us are half wits! :agree:

You should spend a couple of days reading back some of your posts and then the subsequent responses to them! :wink:

You'll enjoy the board all the more for having done that too! :cool2:

JimBHibees
10-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Of course he meant it are your eyes painted on. He has done it before scoring against Celtic last year so shows he meant it.

TornadoHibby
10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
That did happen but it's not what the OP is talking about.

Against Celtic at Parkhead last season Fletcher took a shot from about 25 yards and it hit Nish (on the head I think) and diverted in. Similar to saturdays

Thanks, I remember that one now! :wink:

A "blonde moment" if a bloke can have such a thing! :rolleyes:

Wait a minute tho, I've never been blonde! :greengrin

:thumbsup:

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Your a phud! Is that a cheeky threat?

Nish was there to fall down was he? then why did yogi go nuts at him fior falling over!

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
So the rest of us are wrong and you are right? Colin Nish is wrong in your eyes for claiming it was a deliberate head flick? http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Nish-happy-with-a-point.5806317.jp

Unlike you I had the benefit of advancing my ESPN recording at slow speed. For your benefit here's the sequence of events:-

Fantastic Whittaker-esque run by D from the Hibs half
Nish starts a blind side run to the right of the box but halts his run when he sees D shaping to shoot
Without taking his foot back D scoops under (rather than leathers) the ball, sending it towards the far post
Nish extends his neck up to divert the ball towards the near post, shaping his neck and shoulders in the direction of the goals to give it extra power

How can he add power to the shot when he is helping it on or changing the direction? Added power? Dont be silly!

500miles
10-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Jeffries, and (I think) Mowbray all rate him. That's one of the most highly rated Hibs managers in recent years,one of the most experienced SPL managers, a cup winning manager, the man that signed him and the man that plays him who speak in his favour. Yogi may be frustrated with him - but that's because he knows what Nish is capable of.

Dirkster23
10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
How can he add power to the shot when he is helping it on or changing the direction? Added power? Dont be silly!

Kind of answered that one yourself- if you help the ball on you kick/head the ball in the same direction it's travelling thus putting a bit more power on it :confused:

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Kind of answered that one yourself- if you help the ball on you kick/head the ball in the same direction it's travelling thus putting a bit more power on it :confused:

You must be off your head if you think that Nish added power to that shot! Wotherspoon skelped the ball with his foot and Nish had more power in his neck than wotherspoons foot?

Plum!

Dirkster23
10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
You must be off your head if you think that Nish added power to that shot! Wotherspoon skelped the ball with his foot and Nish had more power in his neck than wotherspoons foot?

Plum!

Only one plum here mate :bye:

Why would there need to be more power in Nish's neck than Wotherspoon's foot :confused: your talking about ADDING power to a shot, not which one generates most power individually. Have a think about it and get back to me later:wink:

Cropley10
10-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Plum!

Keep digging...

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Only one plum here mate :bye:

Why would there need to be more power in Nish's neck than Wotherspoon's foot :confused: your talking about ADDING power to a shot, not which one generates most power individually. Have a think about it and get back to me later:wink:

To add more power it would need to mean that his head was travelling faster than the ball therefore, He would need to have more power or speed in his neck to make the ball have more power. The only way he could add power is if he headed the ball back to where it came from, and even then it would still take more power than Nish has.

Think about it.

Irish_Steve
10-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I think the burning question has to be - "did he fall on his erse after adding/subtracting power"??

Dirkster23
10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
To add more power it would need to mean that his head was travelling faster than the ball therefore, He would need to have more power or speed in his neck to make the ball have more power. The only way he could add power is if he headed the ball back to where it came from, and even then it would still take more power than Nish has.

Think about it.

Have you actually seen the header? The ball comes off at an angle after Nish headers it, it doesn't carry on a straight line. When a ball is headered it squashes in on impact and then pushes back out to it's original shape, allowing it to come off the head at a faster speed.

I take it you didn't see Nish's goal against Aberdeen where he put more pace on his header than was in the cross :confused:

Dirkster23
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I think the burning question has to be - "did he fall on his erse after adding/subtracting power"??

Wotherspoon's shot was the only thing that didn't knock him on his arse :wink:

HFC 0-7
11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Have you actually seen the header? The ball comes off at an angle after Nish headers it, it doesn't carry on a straight line. When a ball is headered it squashes in on impact and then pushes back out to it's original shape, allowing it to come off the head at a faster speed.

I take it you didn't see Nish's goal against Aberdeen where he put more pace on his header than was in the cross :confused:

Thats what I am talking about! yes you can add more power to the ball if you significantly change the direction of the ball, Nish didnt do this against hearts, he did against aberdeen and even still I dont think he would have added more power.

the bold bit above is rubbish, when the ball squashes it is absorbing energy, thus slowing it down. Do you think when you are in a car crash and the car squashes on impact it get more power? NO!

If what you said is true then everytime a player headers the ball it would get more power and travel faster and faster, doesnt happen I am afraid.

Dont think you done well at Physics at school did you!

Hibercelona
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I have to be honest. I'm still not convinced. :wink:

Just my opinion though.

Calling him pish is perhaps a bit harsh. But 10 goals a season really isn't that great for a striker of his type.

Dirkster23
11-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Thats what I am talking about! yes you can add more power to the ball if you significantly change the direction of the ball, Nish didnt do this against hearts, he did against aberdeen and even still I dont think he would have added more power.

the bold bit above is rubbish, when the ball squashes it is absorbing energy, thus slowing it down. Do you think when you are in a car crash and the car squashes on impact it get more power? NO!

If what you said is true then everytime a player headers the ball it would get more power and travel faster and faster, doesnt happen I am afraid.

Dont think you done well at Physics at school did you!

A car is specifically designed with crumple zones etc to absorb and lose energy, is a football :bye:

You obviously have a problem with Nish, a Hibs fan who despite his terrible performances at times has scored important goals for the club (just look at the Aberdeen game). Try supporting him sometimes :wink:

HFC 0-7
12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
A car is specifically designed with crumple zones etc to absorb and lose energy, is a football :bye:

You obviously have a problem with Nish, a Hibs fan who despite his terrible performances at times has scored important goals for the club (just look at the Aberdeen game). Try supporting him sometimes :wink:

I have supported him for some time despite not liking when he came to easter road as I never rated him. I have seen too many bad performances and there comes a time when you cant keep supporting a player.

I am not asking you to stop supporting him, I am mearly stating my opinion, you seem to be getting very up tight about it, taking it personally. Are you Nish? a relative perhaps? (or maybe a fan with Yam tendancies to keep supporting something even when it is clear to everyone else that its not good for the club, ie romanov and his champions league football!:wink:, you even mention his performances at times are 'terrible')

StevieC
12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
what makes you assume that Nish or any other player for that matter doesnt take any notice of whats written on here and other messageboards?

Is it because the vast majority of it is p*sh?

:dunno:

StevieC
12-11-2009, 08:15 AM
When a ball is headered it squashes in on impact and then pushes back out to it's original shape, allowing it to come off the head at a faster speed.

Not really true. There would have to be other factors of force involved for it to pick up speed.

If you drop a ball on the ground it does not bounce higher than it's original position unless you apply additional force. There is of course gravity and acceleration involved in this example but the acceleration due to the gravitational pull on the way down should almost be cancelled out by the gravitational pull on the way back up.

If your statement above was true you should manage to roll a ball (on a very smooth surface) between two walls and it should accelerate each time it hits a wall .. which of course it doesn't.

But I digress ... Nish has certain footballing abilities and lacks ability in other area's. Sometimes his abilities can benefit the team and can assist in getting a goal, sometimes his lack of abilities can be frustrating and invite criticism.

It's up to Yogi to decide whether one outways the other sufficiently to win games.

:agree:

GlesgaeHibby
12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
If Nish wasn't a Hibs fan, he wouldn't be getting the support so many still give him on here.

Dirkster23
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I have supported him for some time despite not liking when he came to easter road as I never rated him. I have seen too many bad performances and there comes a time when you cant keep supporting a player.

I am not asking you to stop supporting him, I am mearly stating my opinion, you seem to be getting very up tight about it, taking it personally. Are you Nish? a relative perhaps? (or maybe a fan with Yam tendancies to keep supporting something even when it is clear to everyone else that its not good for the club, ie romanov and his champions league football!:wink:, you even mention his performances at times are 'terrible')

You've rumbled me, i'm Colin Nish and a Jambo :bye:

Dirkster23
12-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Not really true. There would have to be other factors of force involved for it to pick up speed.

If you drop a ball on the ground it does not bounce higher than it's original position unless you apply additional force. There is of course gravity and acceleration involved in this example but the acceleration due to the gravitational pull on the way down should almost be cancelled out by the gravitational pull on the way back up.

If your statement above was true you should manage to roll a ball (on a very smooth surface) between two walls and it should accelerate each time it hits a wall .. which of course it doesn't.

But I digress ... Nish has certain footballing abilities and lacks ability in other area's. Sometimes his abilities can benefit the team and can assist in getting a goal, sometimes his lack of abilities can be frustrating and invite criticism.

It's up to Yogi to decide whether one outways the other sufficiently to win games.

:agree:

If you look at post #24 you'll see that the OP states Nish did put additional force into the ball.

I've no doubt Nish will be out the door in January if Yogi can find him a team. I won't be too disappointed provided we bring someone in with a bit of height that can hold the ball up.

HFC 0-7
12-11-2009, 08:57 AM
If you look at post #24 you'll see that the OP states Nish did put additional force into the ball.

I've no doubt Nish will be out the door in January if Yogi can find him a team. I won't be too disappointed provided we bring someone in with a bit of height that can hold the ball up.

Does that mean its true?

Peevemor
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Personally, I'd be very surprised.

RIP
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
If Nish wasn't a Hibs fan, he wouldn't be getting the support so many still give him on here.

We had 3 players with a poor first touch on Saturday - Benji, Stokes and Nish

Yet out of those 3 - Nish seems to get more stick. This in spite of him being a Hibs fan, working harder and contributing more to the game than the other two.

Don't forget the guy isn't a first pick. What quality of striker do you think we could get who would be happy to sit on the bench every week?

Just asking. Anyone?

HFC 0-7
12-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Yet out of those 3 - Nish seems to get more stick. This in spite of him being a Hibs fan, working harder and contributing more to the game than the other two.

Don't forget the guy isn't a first pick. What quality of striker do you think we could get who would be happy to sit on the bench every week?

Just asking. Anyone?

I think people are basing their criticism of Nish on more than just the Hearts game. I havent been impressed with Nish since he arrived, and definately the tail end of last season and this season.

In terms of contribution, I dont think he contributed much. Yes stokes and benji didnt contribute, however, this season I think they have done enough. Being a Hibs fan, and how hard you work is irrelevant. I would work harder than anyone if I got a game, I am a hibs fan, but I wouls still be pash.

I would try and sign Kyle or Colin Samuel and stick them on the bench. Although colin would maybe start as up front I think we are lacking pace at the moment.

StevieC
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM

If additional force is added to the equation then the ball should accelerate (assuming that the force is greater than other elements such as gravity, acceleration, deceleration and friction).

I think you were stating that the ball would accelerate without additional force though, ie. simply due to the compression and expansion of the air within the ball.

Peevemor
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
The ball could accelerate without additional force being applied if it was spinning in the right direction.

GlesgaeHibby
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Just asking. Anyone?

Benji and Stokes were absolutely awful on saturday too, and to be honest I haven't been that impressed with Stokes yet.

However, Benji has played well in more than a few games this season.

Nish, since he came to the club, has had plenty of chances to show what he's got and week in week out performs like he did on saturday regularly. He's as slow as a week in jail, poor touch, no strength.

Stokes is a new signing, he therefore gets a chance to show his worth.

StevieC
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
The ball could accelerate without additional force being applied if it was spinning in the right direction.

I'm not so sure that you can say that there isn't additional force, the additional force would actually be the spinning motion (gravitional?) of the ball.

It would be like spinning a coin on its edge. It doesn't necesarily mean that the coin actually moves anywhere but the sideways spinning counteracts the gravitational pull and keeps the coin on its edge. As friction/resistance slowly kills the spinning the gravitational pull eventually becomes the stronger force and the coin will fall. If however you touch the coin during the spinning, ie with Nish's head, then the force stored within the coin will cause it to shoot off at an angle. The force though will have been applied at the start of the spinning and not at the point of the introduction of Nish's head.

:wink:

Peevemor
12-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not so sure that you can say that there isn't additional force, the additional force would actually be the spinning motion (gravitional?) of the ball.

It would be like spinning a coin on its edge. It doesn't necesarily mean that the coin actually moves anywhere but the sideways spinning counteracts the gravitational pull and keeps the coin on its edge. As friction/resistance slowly kills the spinning the gravitational pull eventually becomes the stronger force and the coin will fall. If however you touch the coin during the spinning, ie with Nish's head, then the force stored within the coin will cause it to shoot off at an angle. The force though will have been applied at the start of the spinning and not at the point of the introduction of Nish's head.

:wink:

That's the point I made, no additional force is required but the ball could accelerate.

Exiled Hibby
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
can anyone please explain the theory of the creation of the universe to me as all this physics stuff is really interesting:blah::blah::blah::blah:

Hibercelona
12-11-2009, 04:05 PM
can anyone please explain the theory of the creation of the universe to me as all this physics stuff is really interesting:blah::blah::blah::blah:

Somebody popped a balloon and there was this big bang? :dunno:

StevieC
12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
That's the point I made, no additional force is required but the ball could accelerate.

:hmmm:

Based on the bit you've highlighted, then yes it could accelerate without additional force from Nish.

But .. I think that ..

The additional force still has to be applied in the form of the stored energy in the spinning and it would require to meet certain criteria when connecting with Nish in order to accelerate. There is also every chance that the stored energy could be counter productive (assuming it doesn't hit the net) and potentially decelerate the movement of the ball.