PDA

View Full Version : Great article in the Times (re Huns)

hibees59
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6908047.ece

Well done Mr Spiers!

goosano
08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Absolutely spot on , Mr Speirs-would love to see this sort of piece in the ******-but no chance. The Rangers fans blame everyone but themselves for trouble. As for heavyt handed policing the one time I see it is for the away support at Castle Greyskull

CalgaryHibs
08-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Finally!!

Someone else which speaks the truth aboot Rangers FC

:top marks

GC
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Very good article!

I've always liked Spiers, think he is one of the best journo's in the country and was the only bit of sense on the old Scotsport when we were usualy treated to the thoughtful and insightful Archie MacPherson.

Bostonhibby
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
But the Sunday Mail (wouldnae have it in the house but my Auntie is down fae Edinburgh) has a column by Gordon Waddell that gives the Huns fans a right pasting and for me is right on the money.

Dr What If?
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Rangers fans can be animals, this is not news - it is more of a surprise when they can go a match without trouble or sectarian chants.
What worries me is how UEFA will react. What is to stop them banning Scottish clubs from future competitions because of these morons. In my view we should deal with this embarasement ourselves - the SFA should remove the European place from Rangers no matter where they finish and until their club can provide evidence that they are doing something that will actually prevent this happening again, they should not represent our country abroad. Personally, I think this behaviour is now so ingrained into the club, any successful remedy would take a generation to successfully implement.
It was a brave article from Spiers. Not insightful or revelationary, just brave. Our press live in the pockets of the old firm and daring to step out of line can cost a journalist dearly. The old firm have been covering up for the behaviour of a truly detestible eliment of society for no other reason than they are their paying customers. Sucking up to the OF is as good as saying 'I support bigotry, racism and violence as long as the pay is right'.
Spiers has taken a higher moral ground than the majority of his colleages and kudos to him.

Argylehibby
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Rangers fans can be animals, this is not news - it is more of a surprise when they can go a match without trouble or sectarian chants.
What worries me is how UEFA will react. What is to stop them banning Scottish clubs from future competitions because of these morons. In my view we should deal with this embarasement ourselves - the SFA should remove the European place from Rangers no matter where they finish and until their club can provide evidence that they are doing something that will actually prevent this happening again, they should not represent our country abroad. Personally, I think this behaviour is now so ingrained into the club, any successful remedy would take a generation to successfully implement.
It was a brave article from Spiers. Not insightful or revelationary, just brave. Our press live in the pockets of the old firm and daring to step out of line can cost a journalist dearly. The old firm have been covering up for the behaviour of a truly detestible eliment of society for no other reason than they are their paying customers. Sucking up to the OF is as good as saying 'I support bigotry, racism and violence as long as the pay is right'.
Spiers has taken a higher moral ground than the majority of his colleages and kudos to him.

Dont you know that the SFA keep tabs on what the old firm do to stop the sectarian element and always find that they are doing everything possible "behind the scenes". Its about time they lifted the curtain and showed everyone else what they were doing because I've seen little improvement over the last 20 years.

JimBHibees
08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Tom English in the SOS wrote an excellent article today also. Slagged off Martin Bain as an apologist of the neanerthals.

jacomo
08-11-2009, 09:49 PM
from Graham Spiers:

Rangers are the sick man of British football. They cannot gouge out the bigots and the undesirables from their support. There is something of the white underclass about a section of this club’s support which only guarantees intermittent but perennial embarrassment for Ibrox.

It is as if a previously arrogant attitude around Rangers FC, now being overwhelmed by a more modern, multi-ethnic, ecumenical society around it, cannot cope with these changes and feels threatened by them.

Wonderfully provocative stuff - and right on the money.

Rangers are like the class bully who suddenly can't believe that people are standing up to them.

I'd love to see them banned from Europe - they are an embarassment to Scotland.

NaeTechnoHibby
09-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Graham Spiers has banged on about this for years, even back to his days at The Herald :agree:

He's been accused as being a Rangers fan, yet if he is, he's no apologist for their or for that matter Celt or Scotland supporters, he tells like it is :agree:

Sadly his predessor at the Herald has used it as an "art form" to get an antagonist radio show an along with the bores that are Ewan and Roughie :yawn:

Yet, back in the day James Traynor could paste a poison pen to paper :agree: No doubt he's condemned them somewhere, but next week it will be about some no-mark not getting a game for Scotland, referees needing experience, policing, turnstiles operation... et al..:yawn:

Hibercelona
09-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Graham Spiers has banged on about this for years, even back to his days at The Herald :agree:

He's been accused as being a Rangers fan, yet if he is, he's no apologist for their or for that matter Celt or Scotland supporters, he tells like it is :agree:

Sadly his predessor at the Herald has used it as an "art form" to get an antagonist radio show an along with the bores that are Ewan and Roughie :yawn:

Yet, back in the day James Traynor could paste a poison pen to paper :agree: No doubt he's condemned them somewhere, but next week it will be about some no-mark not getting a game for Scotland, referees needing experience, policing, turnstiles operation... et al..:yawn:

Yes, Graham Spiers is a Rangers fan. But he is by far one of the top football journalists in Scotland.

His comments are more often than not, bang on. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
from Graham Spiers:

Wonderfully provocative stuff - and right on the money.

Rangers are like the class bully who suddenly can't believe that people are standing up to them.

I'd love to see them banned from Europe - they are an embarassment to Scotland.

:agree:

In a sense it's a shame. They have always had it their own way, and rather than question what they are doing wrong it seems easier to work on the proof that it is everyone elses fault.

Anybody who has been to Ibrox to see Hibs will identify with the fact that there are a lot of people in the Hun support who live and breath hate. In a sense, it's a relief that we know where they all are on a Saturday afternoon.

down-the-slope
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
:agree:

In a sense it's a shame. They have always had it their own way, and rather than question what they are doing wrong it seems easier to work on the proof that it is everyone elses fault.

Anybody who has been to Ibrox to see Hibs will identify with the fact that there are a lot of people in the Hun support who live and breath hate. In a sense, it's a relief that we know where they all are on a Saturday afternoon.

:agree: Now thats got me thinking that future Policing / education / prision and health etc budgets could be significantly reduced by the worthwhile investment in some sterilisation drugs being inserted in the home end drinks and burgers :rolleyes: