PDA

View Full Version : Fletch starting to look the part in Premiership

Mag7
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Just watched Fletcher grab another goal for Burnley on MOTD. He also set up their late equaliser. Think he's scored 5 or 6 goals for them now. I think a lot of us felt he was a bit over-hyped due to the fact he was so left-footed, but he's always been very highly regarded by the managerial fraternity and he did score a decent number of goals for Hibs. Be interesting to see if he continues to progress down south as there are barely any SCOTTISH players from the SPL who can hold their own at that level these days. Craig Gordon, I guess, has done quite well but he's in and out of the Sunderland team, while Garry O'Connor and James McFadden are only fleetingly effective. Haven't seen enough of Barry Ferguson and Christophe Berra to know if they've been doing well or not. Any others?

zlatan
08-11-2009, 12:01 AM
His touch down for McDonalds goal was class.

Shrekko
08-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Just watched Fletcher grab another goal for Burnley on MOTD. He also set up their late equaliser. Think he's scored 5 or 6 goals for them now. I think a lot of us felt he was a bit over-hyped due to the fact he was so left-footed, but he's always been very highly regarded by the managerial fraternity and he did score a decent number of goals for Hibs. Be interesting to see if he continues to progress down south.

:agree:

I'm starting to think Fletch should have gone sooner. He has improved already after stagnating at Hibs for 2 years. We'd also have got more cash for him.

Good luck to him-he's looking like one of the few Scots who might actually do ok down south in recent years.

sleeping giant
08-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Cheers for that. I'm away to watch it:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Just watched Fletcher grab another goal for Burnley on MOTD. He also set up their late equaliser. Think he's scored 5 or 6 goals for them now. I think a lot of us felt he was a bit over-hyped due to the fact he was so left-footed, but he's always been very highly regarded by the managerial fraternity and he did score a decent number of goals for Hibs. Be interesting to see if he continues to progress down south as there are barely any SCOTTISH players from the SPL who can hold their own at that level these days. Craig Gordon, I guess, has done quite well but he's in and out of the Sunderland team, while Garry O'Connor and James McFadden are only fleetingly effective. Haven't seen enough of Barry Ferguson and Christophe Berra to know if they've been doing well or not. Any others?

He's doing well and fair play to him :agree: But his one-sidedness is embarrassing for a pro IMHO

oconnors_strip
08-11-2009, 12:10 AM
craig gordon had just got back into the starting eleven for sunderland but will be out for a spell again as he broke his arm today against spurs.

im proud to see fletch doing so well, and has staked his place in the burnley team

Alex B
08-11-2009, 12:10 AM
:agree:

I'm starting to think Fletch should have gone sooner. He has improved already after stagnating at Hibs for 2 years. We'd also have got more cash for him.

Good luck to him-he's looking like one of the few Scots who might actually do ok down south in recent years.

I'm not sure we could have got more for him two years ago but he did strike me as a player who needed a move to fulfil the potential many think he has. The best thing Hibs did for his career was to refuse to let him talk to Celtic last year. He really WOULD have stagnated there.

Mag7
08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
craig gordon had just got back into the starting eleven for sunderland but will be out for a spell again as he broke his arm today against spurs.

im proud to see fletch doing so well, and has staked his place in the burnley team

Gordon is vastly over-rated (and not because he's a plukey ex-yam. He just ain't that wonderful a keeper - just ask most Sunderland fans). Keane has always struck me as a little deranged, and he proved it by shelling out £9m on Gordon. Ridiculous.

Dunbar Hibee
08-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Gordon is vastly over-rated (and not because he's a plukey ex-yam. He just ain't that wonderful a keeper - just ask most Sunderland fans). Keane has always struck me as a little deranged, and he proved it by shelling out £9m on Gordon. Ridiculous.

I have to disagree. Craig Gordon even though he is a yam fud, is one of the best keepers in the Premier League IMO. £9M is a bargain IMO of course:wink:

Hibercelona
08-11-2009, 02:40 AM
For me, Gordon's a player that has his on and off days.

On his best days, he's one of the best goalies in the league.

But on his poor days.... he's well down there.

So although he can be fantastic at times.... he's far to inconsistent to be rated one of the overall best goalies in the League IMO.

Still.... Fantastic for Scotland.

ronaldo7
08-11-2009, 03:52 AM

This excuse for a defender is getting ripped every other week in the premiership. I have been watching his game since his move from Hawrts, and said he would get found out for the average player that he is. He turns his back every time someone has a shot at goal, and it's cost wolves points.

Fletcher on the other hand is coming along nicely and under Coyle is getting better every week. Scored today and set up the winner for another good Scotsman McDonald

IWasThere2016
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM
This excuse for a defender is getting ripped every other week in the premiership. I have been watching his game since his move from Hawrts, and said he would get found out for the average player that he is. He turns his back every time someone has a shot at goal, and it's cost wolves points.

Fletcher on the other hand is coming along nicely and under Coyle is getting better every week. Scored today and set up the winner for another good Scotsman McDonald

:agree: Only a matter of time before McDonald is a regular start for Burnley and in time a better side. He's just turned 21 and scored two against Arsenal, and scored at Stamford Bridge and Eastlands from midfield with limited starts. He's one we should've had.

Petrie's Tache
08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
:agree: Only a matter of time before McDonald is a regular start for Burnley and in time a better side. He's just turned 21 and scored two against Arsenal, and scored at Stamford Bridge and Eastlands from midfield with limited starts. He's one we should've had.

Agreed then and do still now. Should have snapped him up!:agree:

HibsNibs
08-11-2009, 08:29 AM
My granny could have tapped in that goal as good as Fletcher. How we got £2.5m or whatever it was for him I'll never know.

ceecee
08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
My granny could have tapped in that goal as good as Fletcher. How we got £2.5m or whatever it was for him I'll never know.
Great run though to create the space to tap it in.

HibsNibs
08-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Great run though to create the space to tap it in.

Aye - true. Nice header too to make the 3rd I suppose

hibsbollah
08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
He's doing well and fair play to him :agree: But his one-sidedness is embarrassing for a pro IMHO

He's now scored two with his right and had another wrongly disallowed since his move:confused: Some Hibs fans made too much of his one-footedness IMO.

lapsedhibee
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
He's now scored two with his right and had another wrongly disallowed since his move:confused: Some Hibs fans made too much of his one-footedness IMO.

Either that or since he moved he's at last begun to put in the work on his right foot that he should have put in years ago at Hibs (and Lewis should be putting in now).

IWasThere2016
08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Agreed then and do still now. Should have snapped him up!:agree:

Offered to Mixu - who in turn signed Rankin. I kid ye not!!

TornadoHibby
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Broken arm for Spotty yesterday after an un-necessary collision with Defoe! :agree:

Defoe was never getting the ball and should have pulled out of the "tackle"! :grr:

robinp
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I have to disagree. Craig Gordon even though he is a yam fud, is one of the best keepers in the Premier League IMO. £9M is a bargain IMO of course:wink:

You obviously haven't seen him play for Sunderland!!! :dizzy:

lapsedhibee
08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Defoe was never getting the ball and should have pulled out of the "tackle"! :grr:
:agree: Hope he gets retrospectively done for that. Nae need at all.

What about Bent's dive for the pen though? Started about thirty seconds before he got near Gomes. Shearer: "it was a pen - ok he started to go down early, but he made the pen" FFS :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Broken arm for Spotty yesterday after an un-necessary collision with Defoe! :agree:

Personally, i think defoe did ok there.:wink:

Action Jackson
08-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Fletcher may well get double figures in the Premiership this season which would be a good benchmark for next season if Burnley stay up. He has also had a few assists and goals in the cup.

Well done Fletcher:greengrin

hibsbollah
08-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Either that or since he moved he's at last begun to put in the work on his right foot that he should have put in years ago at Hibs (and Lewis should be putting in now).

I suppose thats possible, although it hasnt been that long since he moved. Can you go from zero to hero on your bad foot in just a few months? i suppose only a professional coach could tell us that...

Franck is God
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Fletcher is the best player (so far) to come through our youth system since John Collins and I have been saying this since I first saw him play. He was our best player last year by some distance and without him I think we would have had a real relegation battle on our hands.

He is settling in nicely in the Premiership and even if Burnley were to go down he will get an even bigger move to bigger side, his movement for his goal yesterday was superb which made it look easy and then his set up play for McDonalds goal was excellent. Man City's defence cost best part of £50m to assemble, he scored one and set up another. Not bad for a player that cost Burnley less than a year of Tevez's wages....

It really pisses me off how negative some hibs fans are about Fletch. What has he ever done to deserve this?

PeterboroHibee
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
He really is looking the part and glad hes making it. Not going to be prolific, never has been (although 6 goals in 14 appearances is pretty good!), but he has so many parts to his game that if he keeps developing will do well in the Premiership.

Surely hes proving that he should be the first choice striker for Scotland, he brings so much more than most of the other strikers in the squad (him and Faddy are our two best strikers imo), if Burley sticks with that lump of pish Miller in a 4-5-1 we are never going to progress.

Think Berra and Gordon have taken a bit of stick in this thread, Gordon is absolute quality but has been unlucky with injuries, and Berra is solid enough for Scotland, and a better option than the OF muppets.

jacomo
08-11-2009, 01:23 PM

He's a new player in that division, playing for an unknown quantity. There's a chance that once other Premiership teams work Burnley out, Fletcher will find it harder. Great defenders know how to show a player onto his weaker foot.

However, a great performance from him yesterday - his movement and awareness are both top class, and he is doing well.

crabbo
08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

IMHO Van Persie is totally one-sided too but he's on fire!. Did you see him against Wolves last night? He rounded the keeper about 3 times just to get a shot with his left peg. In the end he just lost the ball.

Good to see Fletcher playing well though! :agree:

I Love Lamp
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM

I was watching Birmingham v Wolves last season where Birmingham won the game and Berra made an absolute pig's ear of a long ball for Birmingham's goal. The summariser's comment was 'maybe he should've spent more time at Hearts working on his defending rather than acting as a shop steward over unpaid wages'.

Ouch and ouch.

His positional play has been shown to be poor and he's not strong enough.

lapsedhibee
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
IMHO Van Persie is totally one-sided too but he's on fire!. Did you see him against Wolves last night? He rounded the keeper about 3 times just to get a shot with his left peg. In the end he just lost the ball.

Good to see Fletcher playing well though! :agree:

RVP does often try to get the ball on to his left foot. But he also scores regularly with his right from 15 yards out. Fletch is nowhere near RVP's technical level (yet) as a striker, imho.

sahib
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
If he was a right footed player would we ever have noticed he was "one footed"? I suspect the answer is no.

VegasHibby
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes he was very good yesterday. His goal looked alot easier than it was as he got away from 2 or 3 defenders and got himself into the space.

Danderhall Hibs
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Just like Giggs? did you see his attempted 1st time lob today? The easy option was to bring it down and smash it with his right foot.

Great defenders know how to show a player onto his weaker foot.

Why have they never done it with Giggs then?

ancient hibee
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
A few months with Coyle and he's learned how to look for the ball coming into space instead of to feet.Mixu was never able to get him to do that because he (Mixu)always liked the ball played directly to him so he could use his strength.

JoeT_WasTheBest
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Just like Giggs? did you see his attempted 1st time lob today? The easy option was to bring it down and smash it with his right foot.

Wait a minute, is that you defending Fletcher? :shocked:

IWasThere2016
08-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Haven't seen it yet - but given what Giggs has won in the game I think we can agree his left is very special and he does use his right.

lEXO
08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Fletcher is the best player (so far) to come through our youth system since John Collins and I have been saying this since I first saw him play. He was our best player last year by some distance and without him I think we would have had a real relegation battle on our hands.

He is settling in nicely in the Premiership and even if Burnley were to go down he will get an even bigger move to bigger side, his movement for his goal yesterday was superb which made it look easy and then his set up play for McDonalds goal was excellent. Man City's defence cost best part of £50m to assemble, he scored one and set up another. Not bad for a player that cost Burnley less than a year of Tevez's wages....

It really pisses me off how negative some hibs fans are about Fletch. What has he ever done to deserve this?
Great post.My thoughts as well.Class player who will go on to bigger things i,m sure.Dont get the bitterness towards him,look at the amount of games he played for us since a young age.You dont do that without having a great talent.Sadly it seems to be easier to slag him, than to give him the credit he deserves.

marinello59
08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought Fletcher was the most talented player from the "golden generation". Looks like he is proving it down there, scoring Premiership goals for one of the less fashionable sides. He will move to one of the upper level teams in time.
Not Hibs class of course.:greengrin

jacomo
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Are you joking?

Giggs has proved himself as a genuinely world class player - one-footed or not.

I'm not sure Fletcher is quite in that bracket yet. :rolleyes:

marinello59
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
If he was a right footed player would we ever have noticed he was "one footed"? I suspect the answer is no.

Good point. It is sad to see leftism still rearing its ugly head in 2009.:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Wait a minute, is that you defending Fletcher? :shocked:

Horses for courses. :wink:

Haven't seen it yet - but given what Giggs has won in the game I think we can agree his left is very special and he does use his right.

No doubt he is a great player but only uses his right leg for standing on.

Are you joking?

Giggs has proved himself as a genuinely world class player - one-footed or not.

I'm not sure Fletcher is quite in that bracket yet. :rolleyes:

I'm using him (Giggs) as an example of a one-footed player to illustrate how it doesn't necessarily hinder a career.

Apologies if you thought I was saying Fletcher is world-class.

brog
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Couldn't agree more & I actually find the comments about his left-footedness embarrassing. Three of the greatest players ever to grace a park, Puskas, Maradona & currently Messi were/are completely one footed. No doubt some genius on Barcelona Net is saying Messi's way over valued & if only he had a right foot he'd be some player!!

lapsedhibee
09-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Couldn't agree more & I actually find the comments about his left-footedness embarrassing. Three of the greatest players ever to grace a park, Puskas, Maradona & currently Messi were/are completely one footed. No doubt some genius on Barcelona Net is saying Messi's way over valued & if only he had a right foot he'd be some player!!

Completely agree. Douglas Bader had no legs at all and boy was he some flyer. The sooner the RAF introduces a proper No Legs recruitment policy the sooner we'll hear the end of these helicopter crashes etc. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM
There have not been many scots recently, who have played and scored regularly in the EPL, yet some still say he's not good enough.
:confused:

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
There have not been many scots recently, who have played and scored regularly in the EPL, yet some still say he's not good enough.

Agree!

I think when people talk about premiership class they compare to the likes of Rooney Drogba and Torres, and forget about the other strikers that play there

Part/Time Supporter
09-11-2009, 05:13 PM

He's scored more goals in all competitions (6) than the following so far:

Owen (4)
Berbatov (4)
Anelka (5)
Kalou (4, none in the league)
Bendtner (3, one in the league)
Crouch (5, one in the league)
Carew (2)
Bellamy (5)
Tevez (4)

Most of whom have played more games due to playing in Europe, etc.

I think the ***** served up by Mixu last year cost Hibs quite a few £££ on his fee (ie little or no service => iffy goals return)

Cocaine&Caviar
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
His goal celebration on saturday was rotten.

Broken Gnome
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
His goal celebration on saturday was rotten.

Agreed :greengrin

Good to see in a way though, he's shown a bravery at his age that so many other Scots have lacked, and now he's proof that you can go and be successful down there AND he looks like he's enjoying it. Many others would vision a life outside Glasgow/the central belt/away from their mates as unthinkable.

dirtydirk
09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Not saying he had a host of teams to chose from but burnley was a wise move. A club that nobody expected anything from this season, so if he even scored ten goals in the whole season it would be seen as a great season for him. Think he'll actually be playing at a bigger club next season if he keeps up his form

zelda
09-11-2009, 06:29 PM
City are my second team and as i don't like going to tynecastle i decided to get tickets for the burnley game.
The run for his goal was superb and he got in a few decent positions and set up the equaliser brilliantly-unfortunately lol.
His game has really come on since he left hibs and is actually using his right foot.

Onceinawhile
09-11-2009, 06:40 PM
How anyone can say he is doing anything but brilliantly is ridiculous.

Let's hope it continues, as it gives not only Scottish players a good reputation and enhances the reputation (and prices) of young Hibs players:agree:

HibbyAndy
09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Remember he scored at 3point lane (Arsenal fans call it that :greengrin) and was WRONGLY ruled offside, so that would be seven goals so far this season.

jacomo
09-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Horses for courses. :wink:

No doubt he is a great player but only uses his right leg for standing on.

I'm using him (Giggs) as an example of a one-footed player to illustrate how it doesn't necessarily hinder a career.

Apologies if you thought I was saying Fletcher is world-class.

No apology needed.

All I was saying is that defenders in the Premiership will do their homework on Fletcher now, and will try to exploit weaknesses in his game.

jacomo
09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Not saying he had a host of teams to chose from but burnley was a wise move. A club that nobody expected anything from this season, so if he even scored ten goals in the whole season it would be seen as a great season for him. Think he'll actually be playing at a bigger club next season if he keeps up his form

I think there's more to it than that - Fletcher thrives in a footballing side. He likes to drop into space and receive the ball to feet, not be always attacking it as a classic centre forward.

I think this is why he looked better under Collins than Mixu - the style of play (when it worked, which it often didn't) was ideal for him.

HibeePaj
10-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Great to see Fletcher scoring on saturday,

Even better to see it was 3 Scots who scored against Man City with Fletch, Mcdonald and Alexander.

patlowe
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2123965791

Looks like the Burnley fans have taken to him. He has a huge future.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2123965791

Looks like the Burnley fans have taken to him. He has a huge future.

What do they know, he will be found out next year apparently.:faf:

TornadoHibby
10-11-2009, 12:13 PM
What do they know, he will be found out next year apparently.:faf:

Fletcher was one of the most talented footballers we have ever produced at ER IMO! :agree:

If only someone could get his right leg to be half as good or as good as his left then he will be one of the best strikers in the EPL again IMO! :agree:

His workrate is superb and he will be a great asset for Scotland over the next 10 years too again IMO! :wink:

Pity his inability to strike the ball well with his right foot cost him in terms of his assessment by a lot of Hibs fans! :confused: :greengrin