PDA

View Full Version : How bad is rankin?

the happy hibee
07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I am sorry but that man should not play for hibs again he is a waste of a shirt he hides when anyone is looking for a pass, his distrubtion is terrible and dont get me started on his free kick he took the day when he blamed the other players for him over hitting it :grr::grr:! the happy hibee son colin!

Expecting Rain
07-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I am sorry but that man should not play for hibs again he is a waste of a shirt he hides when anyone is looking for a pass, his distrubtion is terrible and dont get me started on his free kick he took the day when he blamed the other players for him over hitting it :grr::grr:! the happy hibee son colin!

Cregg must be asking the same question.

the happy hibee
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I know mate!

ForeverHibs93
07-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Great post:top marks I don't think he brings much to the party, if anything IMO.

500miles
07-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Rankin sits joint second in the SPL assists chart this season, despite barely featuring. Aye, you're right, he's clearly incapable. Miller was pish today too. Not Hibs class.

Tomsk
07-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Rankin sits joint second in the SPL assists chart this season, despite barely featuring. Aye, you're right, he's clearly incapable. Miller was pish today too. Not Hibs class.

Too true. Bin Miller and get Norman Wisdom in.

"Mr GRIMSDALE!"

The_Horde
07-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Too true. Bin Miller and get Norman Wisdom in.

"Mr JOLLYSDALE!"

:agree:

Shrekko
07-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Rankin was arguably,other than Bamba, our best midfieder last season- thank God we have an entirely new midfield this year. He was anonymous today and woeful when he did occasionally get involved.

Miller was maybe quiet for a lot of the game but he still showed some terrific touches.

500miles
08-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Rankin was arguably,other than Bamba, our best midfieder last season- thank God we have an entirely new midfield this year. He was anonymous today and woeful when he did occasionally get involved.

Miller was maybe quiet for a lot of the game but he still showed some terrific touches.

Rankin came into the team after being left out for a prolonged spell, in a game with very high pressure and expectations, and where no one was playing well. By the end of the game he was getting into threatening positions and putting in tackles.

I despise this culture of hyperbole, where either every player is "brilliant" or "pish". Rankin is a squad player who has established himself as of SPL quality over the last five seasons. He is NOT a bad player, but at the same time, I would hope we wouldn't have to rely on him every week.

marinello59
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
:bitchy:

BS44
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Rankin came into the team after being left out for a prolonged spell, in a game with very high pressure and expectations, and where no one was playing well. By the end of the game he was getting into threatening positions and putting in tackles.

I despise this culture of hyperbole, where either every player is "brilliant" or "pish". Rankin is a squad player who has established himself as of SPL quality over the last five seasons. He is NOT a bad player, but at the same time, I would hope we wouldn't have to rely on him every week.

Personally, i thought he had a good game matched up against the best attacking left full-back in Scotland.

monktonharp
08-11-2009, 01:22 AM

I despise this culture of hyperbole, where either every player is "brilliant" or "pish". Rankin is a squad player who has established himself as of SPL quality over the last five seasons. He is NOT a bad player, but at the same time, I would hope we wouldn't have to rely on him every week.a player left out for half a dozen games,how sad. gie the guy a chance,my erse! if he wants to be a regular,he's got to step up to the plate FFS. I stated on an original post before this season (will try and find it) that this guy has the makings o' a fitba' player in him somewhere,but when he get's his chance he's got to take it. we've all seen him doing great things (squiglers)at times but it's as if he's not too bothered if he's in the starting line up,or not.

truehibernian
08-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Yogi was going for a wee bit of "old heads" today IMO. It would have been easy to plump for youth and put Galbraith in, or put a tough tackler in Cregg, but Yogi showed that he needed some wise heads in midfield today, ones which were unlikely to get caught up in the heat of the moment. Admittedly John didn't inspire or do anything fancy, but together with Stevenson, they limited Driver second half when he switched, and he broke up play a little. Easy to criticise players when they are not doing the fancy stuff, but I would ask those that are harsh on Rankin.......did Stokes, Benji or Nish do anything today that merited better marks ? I thought the defence and midfield did well today and it was those in the final third that let Hibs down :wink:

Hibercelona
08-11-2009, 01:35 AM
a player left out for half a dozen games,how sad. gie the guy a chance,my erse! if he wants to be a regular,he's got to step up to the plate FFS. I stated on an original post before this season (will try and find it) that this guy has the makings o' a fitba' player in him somewhere,but when he get's his chance he's got to take it. we've all seen him doing great things (squiglers)at times but it's as if he's not too bothered if he's in the starting line up,or not.

I think he gets a fair amount of unfair criticism from fans to be honest.

He does more than he gets credit for... And the assist chart speaks for itself.

The problem is the fact that he gets over shadowed by the likes of Zemmama and Miller who can show boat in midfield.

Rankin may not be able to pull of the moves that they can... but he really does work his socks off and does more than people seem to realize.

I mind that game against Falkirk near the start of the season. Although Riordan and Bamba got the goals.... we would never have won that game without Rankins contribution.

People need to lay of the lad. He works as hard as he can, and nobody can ask anymore from him.

hibbie02
08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I think he gets a fair amount of unfair criticism from fans to be honest.

He does more than he gets credit for... And the assist chart speaks for itself.

The problem is the fact that he gets over shadowed by the likes of Zemmama and Miller who can show boat in midfield.

Rankin may not be able to pull of the moves that they can... but he really does work his socks off and does more than people seem to realize.

I mind that game against Falkirk near the start of the season. Although Riordan and Bamba got the goals.... we would never have won that game without Rankins contribution.

People need to lay of the lad. He works as hard as he can, and nobody can ask anymore from him.

Can somone point me in the direction of this assists chart as I simply cannae believe he is second on any assists chart for this season. I am prepared to be proved wrong. :wink:

ronaldo7
08-11-2009, 08:00 AM

Personally, i thought he had a good game matched up against the best attacking left full-back in Scotland.

Paul Dixon from Dundee United would give Wallace a run for his money.

hibsbollah
08-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not a fan of him at all, but yesterday wasnt his worst performance ive seen by a long way. Worked hard and closed down well.

500miles
08-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Can somone point me in the direction of this assists chart as I simply cannae believe he is second on any assists chart for this season. I am prepared to be proved wrong. :wink:

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_Statistics

Catagory: Assists

Winston Ingram
08-11-2009, 08:39 AM

He runs alot and kicks the ball hard. Other than that he is rotten

hibbie02
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_Statistics

Catagory: Statistics.

So you are saying that Rankin is worth his place in the team because of his record of assists.

He has 3. That is 3 out of 18 goals scored in 11 games. Hardly worth getting excited about. No other Hibs players are mentioned in the list, so that means we either have 15 different players assisting or 15 individual goals (or a combination). Zouma not on the list, or Riordan, just Rankin.

Category: Bollox.

Tam1875
08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Do you guys have a clue about football Rankin did a power of work yesterday i think you should look at Stokes or Benji before slagging of Rankin. Watched Hibs for over 40 years and to hear the crap that gets put on here is totaly beyoned me no matter how the team plays you get people like you slagging off the players. Get a grip back the team 3500 of us at tynie yesterday did dont say im new to this for some reason i cant get on with my origanl name on here gobragh been on here since day one so to all you numptys the players need your support no your slagging ok :notworthy:

marinello59
08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I am confused. Are we working through the players in alphabetical order to act as scapegoat or do we pick one at random? And do we do it after draws as well now? I thought it was only after defeats?:confused:
Let's get this sorted , we need a system that everybody understands.:agree:

Expecting Rain
08-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Do you guys have a clue about football Rankin did a power of work yesterday i think you should look at Stokes or Benji before slagging of Rankin. Watched Hibs for over 40 years and to hear the crap that gets put on here is totaly beyoned me no matter how the team plays you get people like you slagging off the players. Get a grip back the team 3500 of us at tynie yesterday did dont say im new to this for some reason i cant get on with my origanl name on here gobragh been on here since day one so to all you numptys the players need your support no your slagging ok :notworthy:

Easy Tam, most us so called numpties are entitled to an opinion, things always look worse in text than they are in reality, i`ve heard folk in pubs say that Ibrahimovich is crap which i had bben that bad when i was younger.:wink:

Toaods
08-11-2009, 09:26 AM
No idea why Rankin was played in that position - understandable he failed to shine.

lapsedhibee
08-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I am confused. Are we working through the players in alphabetical order to act as scapegoat or do we pick one at random? And do we do it after draws as well now? I thought it was only after defeats?:confused:
FFS are you labouring under the misapprehension that scapegoating doesn't happen after victories? :confused:

Judas Iscariot
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
No idea why Rankin was played in that position - understandable he failed to shine.

He fails to shine in any position he's in..

Hermit Crab
08-11-2009, 09:56 AM
You cant slag off the team or any individual players after yesterday, after all Hearts had us under pressure for most of the game and im happy with a point and another clean sheet. Not may teams go to tynie and win! It was never going to be easy and i think a few fans expected Hibs to win comfortably, there was even talk of winning by 4 or 5. That was never going to happen. I dont understand why people can moan that we went away from home and got a point. Still sitting at the right end of the league so no complaints from me.

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2009, 10:02 AM

Should not play for Hibs again????:confused::confused::confused:

Bit OTT is is not??

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2009, 10:03 AM
You cant slag off the team or any individual players after yesterday, after all Hearts had us under pressure for most of the game and im happy with a point and another clean sheet. Not may teams go to tynie and win! It was never going to be easy and i think a few fans expected Hibs to win comfortably, there was even talk of winning by 4 or 5. That was never going to happen. I dont understand why people can moan that we went away from home and got a point. Still sitting at the right end of the league so no complaints from me.

:top marks

good post rooney......

some ppl would still moan if we won the treble:wink:

Hermit Crab
08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
:top marks

good post rooney......

some ppl would still moan if we won the treble:wink:

Aye your right mate theres no pleasing some people. :wink:

nonshinyfinish
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this, but I've seen the list and you're next after Rankin.

the happy hibee
08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I like to think i do have a bit of a clue about football thank you very much:greengrin! All this rankin puts a power of work rubbish annoys me get me fit enough to play and i would put a power of work in it does not mean that i am good enough to play for hibs and in my opionon hes not! ive given him every chance to prove me wrong but unfortunatly he hasnt. Yes stokes and inparticularly benji were poor yesterday but the good they do normally far outways the bad they do most weeks! I was at tynie yesterday btw and i did back the team which i always do when i go to the games ( having only missed about 10 games in the last 15 years or so) i never boo hibs players when they play for us because they need our backing not just like yesterday but every week even against the so called weaker teams! from the happy hibee son colin! :notworthy:

Cabbage1875
08-11-2009, 11:15 AM
He was one of our best players in the derby I thought. Seems like some folk on here just make a decision about a player and blindly slaughter them at every opportunity! Correct me if I'm wrong... :bitchy:

the happy hibee
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
He was one of our best players in the derby I thought. Seems like some folk on here just make a decision about a player and blindly slaughter them at every opportunity! Correct me if I'm wrong... :bitchy:
I am sorry but i just dont see how you can say he was one of our better players can you tell me what he did in the match for you to say that? As i said i have gave him every chance to prove me wrong but he has just not impressed me apart from the short spell of gd form towards the end of last season! I hate critisising hibs players which i normally never do but he is not good enough for our team and espeically with us spending £100,000 pound on him :bitchy:!

Cabbage1875
08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I am sorry but i just dont see how you can say he was one of our better players can you tell me what he did in the match for you to say that? As i said i have gave him every chance to prove me wrong but he has just not impressed me apart from the short spell of gd form towards the end of last season! I hate critisising hibs players which i normally never do but he is not good enough for our team and espeically with us spending £100,000 pound on him :bitchy:!
He got wired in, worked his arse off and used the ball decently well. Could the same be said about Benji or Stokes for example? To start a thread like this about Rankin and not the aforementioned two after yesterday is just daft for me.

sam armstrong
08-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Rankin is not a bad player but is not going to make Hibs a good enough team. Once Hibs have to play Rankin, Cregg, and Nish they become a very average team. I don't think Hogg nor McBride will be in the team long term either as you need better if you are going to challenge for honours. Hogg played quite well yesterday but that's against poor forwards. Hibs now have the nucleus of a good team but still need a good few players to give us a team to kick on. Wotherspoon is the best young lad we have had in a while.

the happy hibee
08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
He got wired in, worked his arse off and used the ball decently well. Could the same be said about Benji or Stokes for example? To start a thread like this about Rankin and not the aforementioned two after yesterday is just daft for me.
He worked hard i will give you that but as ive said get me fit and i would do that for hibs doesnt mean i am good enough for hibs ( i am 30 btw ) as i said benji and stokes were bad yesterday but i have been saying since the start of the season that rankin is not good enough for us and yesterday just reconfirmed it for me!

the happy hibee
08-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Rankin is not a bad player but is not going to make Hibs a good enough team. Once Hibs have to play Rankin, Cregg, and Nish they become a very average team. I don't think Hogg nor McBride will be in the team long term either as you need better if you are going to challenge for honours. Hogg played quite well yesterday but that's against poor forwards. Hibs now have the nucleus of a good team but still need a good few players to give us a team to kick on. Wotherspoon is the best young lad we have had in a while.
I agree with all of what youve said there except from the rankin is not a bad player :greengrin! wotherspoon is the best young lad we have had since i first seen scott brown play for us! :thumbsup:

Franck is God
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I think that Rankin is a squad player and one to fill in when needed and nothing more. He wasn't helped yesterday by being deployed on the right hand side, as a natural left sided player he was never likely to have his best game there.

When Yogi took off Benji and switched to a 3 man midfield I thought we gained some balance in the team and Rankin played his part, although saying that he had a fantastic chance to score which he snatched at and dissapointed me with his poor delivery from free kicks.

DaveHFC
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM

:agree: Would agree with the above. Rankin is very useful player to have around. Proven SPL midfielder in the squad shows that we have a bit of depth in the team. Would have like to see us play 442 today with Benji and Stokes up front and Galbraith and Rankin on the flanks. With Nish up-front we went for the aerial ball a lot and to often he was isolated. Rankin isn't an out and out winger but was there to keep Wallace quiet. He was nothing special yesterday but wasn't that bad.