PDA

View Full Version : Must do better / two points dropped? (merged)

patlowe
07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
If we have any aspirations to be anywhere near splitting the old firm then we have to perform better than we did today. In most circumstances, a draw at Tynecastle is a good result but they were absolutely there for the taking. They were never going to score against us so I genuinely feel that we should have put more emphasis on winning the game. For me, the only positives to take from the game were the performance of the defence without Bamba and Wotherspoon's emergence as a real, confident talent.

Lofarl
07-11-2009, 02:34 PM
A fair point there (no pun intended) but if your teams playing poorly an can still grind out a result that keeps us in contention to split the ugly sisters then you cant moan to much.

We could have had a victory with wotherspoons shot but could have easily conceded a last min penalty. 3 players down from the outset shows we have determination.

MSK
07-11-2009, 02:36 PM
If we have any aspirations to be anywhere near splitting the old firm then we have to perform better than we did today. In most circumstances, a draw at Tynecastle is a good result but they were absolutely there for the taking. They were never going to score against us so I genuinely feel that we should have put more emphasis on winning the game. For me, the only positives to take from the game were the performance of the defence without Bamba and Wotherspoon's emergence as a real, confident talent.Agree but i think we missed Zemmama ..a player who has the qualities to bring others into play..we lost the midfield today & as much as Stewart/Black & Pauzalos (the Spanish dood) had control they created practically zilch ...

Onceinawhile
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
It showed that without Zouma and Riordan we will struggle in an attacking sense.

We had three full internationals unable to start today and got a draw. Compared to a team wanting to win the league, our squad is weak. For a team looking to finish third, we're looking alright

--------
07-11-2009, 03:15 PM
It showed that without Zouma and Riordan we will struggle in an attacking sense.

We had three full internationals unable to start today and got a draw. Compared to a team wanting to win the league, our squad is weak. For a team looking to finish third, we're looking alright

:agree: Sol, Deek and Zouma are three of our most influential players, and I wasn't hopeful when I heard that Sol and Zouma were out and Deek doubtful.

IMO the team displayed a deal of intestinal fortitude in working out that result.

It'll be interesting to see who Yogi goes after in January.

fife hfc
07-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Even though the defence played well Bamba was a massive loss as he would have dominated Nade and allowed Murray to bomb up and down the wing. Losing Zoma and Deek made me **** myself and I feared the worse. I'm happy with a draw and cannae believe how bad they are.

have to remember no matter how bad Hertz are in attack they are a hard side to break down so glad we were solid also.

Phil MaGlass
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Must do better ma er5e,cannae believe the tactics Yogi stuck to for today f,n unbelievable, we never attacked, we only looked threatening once,and that was after deeks came on, we didnae deserve a draw,but how bad are hertz and just how over rated are we?

MSK
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Must do better ma er5e,cannae believe the tactics Yogi stuck to for today f,n unbelievable, we never attacked, we only looked threatening once,and that was after deeks came on, we didnae deserve a draw,but how bad are hertz and just how over rated are we?How are we overrated ?..is the league table telling a lie ..are our performances telling a lie ?...just shows we can play pish & still get a draw & a clean sheet ..overrated ..? :confused:

We are third top ..unbeaten in 07 games but we are overrated ...JEEZO !!!

Phil MaGlass
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
to me it seems that 2 men actually make a team

MSK
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
to me it seems that 2 men actually make a teamThankfully Murray didnt have a great deal to do so as much as we feared Bamba's omission it was handled well with his "deputy"...Zemmama on the other hand was a big miss ...obviously not in your eyes though eh ...:yawn:

sesoim
07-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Agree but i think we missed Zemmama ..a player who has the qualities to bring others into play..we lost the midfield today & as much as Stewart/Black & Pauzalos (the Spanish dood) had control they created practically zilch ...

:agree: Zemmama makes a HUGE difference. If he stays fit we will finish 3rd easily. Without him, we'll struggle to break down most teams.

Sylar
07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought we were pretty awful today, truth be told.

We remained resolute at the back, despite the absence of Bamba and Stack looked very comfortable for the most part.

We went to pieces beyond that in all honesty - my assessment:

Stack: Comanded his area well and made 2 crucial clearances - never really had much to do in the grand scheme of things.

Stevenson: Had a decent game, but I felt his lack of game-time perhaps shone through today with a few mistakes where he failed to clear the ball.

Hogg: Thought he had a great game today - won a lot of headers and made some composed plays to bring us out of trouble. He appeared to be lucky to get away with his tackle on Wittenveen near the end though, which looked a penalty to me!

Murray: Filled in well for Bamba, with a solid performance at the back today. We missed him bursting forward though!

Wotherspoon: Was beaten too easily by Driver on occassion, but I thought had a good second half - he got forward more, and found space as Driver switched sides - got into great position a few times, only to be overlooked.

Miller: Thought he played OK today, but on a few occassions tried to do too much - gave the ball away a few times in the middle of the park - wasn't helped by a very static forward line!

McBride: Fought hard, but Mikey Stewart had the beating of him most of the day. He broke up a lot of play, but contributed nothing to the attack.

Rankin: Put himself about well, but looked a little lightweight in the middle at times. Showed good vision with a few passes, and broke Hearts play up well, but again, nothing going forward - not a player who can really be rushed, and is guilty of needing too much time!

Benji: Showed a few nice touches, but lacked any heart/passion or enthusiasm for the game today. Benji appears to be a continual player who's either superb, or an enigma - he certainly fitted the latter category today! He was lazy, and didn't get forward to support Nish once.

Stokes: Was ****ing shocking today. He looks unfit, and has a first touch which would make most Sunday league players cringe! He has sublime first control, and an ability to turn defenders inside out, but he was short of 2 yards of pace, meaning he never got into any space. He WILL come good (hopefully), but he's not ready yet IMO.

Nish: Was bullied far too easily by Goncalves today - it was evident from the off that he wasn't getting any fouls from that muppet Conroy, but instead of putting himself about, he kept looking for them. Hard to play upfront though when there's nobody supporting you from behind.

Riordan: Thought he gave us an extra dimension when he came on (no great surprise really) and was unlucky twice not to put us in front. He has good vision, good awareness and superb movement to get into space.

Steve Conroy: I tend to think I'm quite objective when I'm watching games, and I tried to maintain this today - Steve Conroy was an asbolute joke this afternoon - not ONE 50/50 decision went in our favour all afternoon - I was only surprised that he didn't point to the spot when Wittenveen went down, and ironically, it wouldn't have been his softest decision of the day. The sooner we get rid of incompetant clowns like from Scottish Football, the sooner we can get to talking about football quality, instead of ***** ref's!

Vini1875
07-11-2009, 04:54 PM
We simply did not play well today. To be honest I'm getting fed up with all the talk about splitting the OF or finishing third. We need to get a flowing game going and win each game as it comes along.

In terms of being a league winning team/squad. How many of our players wouldn't look out of place in a league winning team? I'd say about half; Riordan, Murray, Zemmama, Miller, Wotherspoon (eventually), Bamba. That leaves us about 5 players to get.

A draw at tynie is not too bad and continues a good run of league results against them and keeps them 11 points behind us as the first quarter of matches is completed.

euro Hibby
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I was wondering the same thing almost. How amny players do we need to be the real thing. We actually have not played that well to be where we are. Maybe Rangers and Motherwell were our best performances that I can remember but we have shown grit and determination and have the players to take chances when they come. What pleased me today was that in defence we looked fine and the same against Aberdeen for most of the game.

We seemed today always to be on the back foot and maybe psychologically missing 3 top players was the reason. Benji was crap today and it was a good opportunity for him to do something but the game passed hm by. First half we were punting the ball everywhere to Nish who needs a man close to him if he is going to be useful.

In all good first set of games, but we need to improve another 25 % if we want 3rd spot and higher.

ronaldo7
07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought we were pretty awful today, truth be told.

We remained resolute at the back, despite the absence of Bamba and Stack looked very comfortable for the most part.

We went to pieces beyond that in all honesty - my assessment:

Stack: Comanded his area well and made 2 crucial clearances - never really had much to do in the grand scheme of things.

Stevenson: Had a decent game, but I felt his lack of game-time perhaps shone through today with a few mistakes where he failed to clear the ball.

Hogg: Thought he had a great game today - won a lot of headers and made some composed plays to bring us out of trouble. He appeared to be lucky to get away with his tackle on Wittenveen near the end though, which looked a penalty to me!

Murray: Filled in well for Bamba, with a solid performance at the back today. We missed him bursting forward though!

Wotherspoon: Was beaten too easily by Driver on occassion, but I thought had a good second half - he got forward more, and found space as Driver switched sides - got into great position a few times, only to be overlooked.

Miller: Thought he played OK today, but on a few occassions tried to do too much - gave the ball away a few times in the middle of the park - wasn't helped by a very static forward line!

McBride: Fought hard, but Mikey Stewart had the beating of him most of the day. He broke up a lot of play, but contributed nothing to the attack.

Rankin: Put himself about well, but looked a little lightweight in the middle at times. Showed good vision with a few passes, and broke Hearts play up well, but again, nothing going forward - not a player who can really be rushed, and is guilty of needing too much time!

Benji: Showed a few nice touches, but lacked any heart/passion or enthusiasm for the game today. Benji appears to be a continual player who's either superb, or an enigma - he certainly fitted the latter category today! He was lazy, and didn't get forward to support Nish once.

Stokes: Was ****ing shocking today. He looks unfit, and has a first touch which would make most Sunday league players cringe! He has sublime first control, and an ability to turn defenders inside out, but he was short of 2 yards of pace, meaning he never got into any space. He WILL come good (hopefully), but he's not ready yet IMO.

Nish: Was bullied far too easily by Goncalves today - it was evident from the off that he wasn't getting any fouls from that muppet Conroy, but instead of putting himself about, he kept looking for them. Hard to play upfront though when there's nobody supporting you from behind.

Riordan: Thought he gave us an extra dimension when he came on (no great surprise really) and was unlucky twice not to put us in front. He has good vision, good awareness and superb movement to get into space.

Steve Conroy: I tend to think I'm quite objective when I'm watching games, and I tried to maintain this today - Steve Conroy was an asbolute joke this afternoon - not ONE 50/50 decision went in our favour all afternoon - I was only surprised that he didn't point to the spot when Wittenveen went down, and ironically, it wouldn't have been his softest decision of the day. The sooner we get rid of incompetant clowns like from Scottish Football, the sooner we can get to talking about football quality, instead of ***** ref's!

Mole:dunno:

Specsavers have a deal on the noo:faf:

down the slope
07-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I thought we set the team up not to lose , Stokes played wide right to stop the left back getting forward and it worked a treat.
Although Hearts had the bulk of the possesion i am struggling to think of a time when any of their players hit the by line without a challenge coming in.
Please remember that we have to build in small steps and the fact that we once again never lost a goal speaks volumes for me.

brydekirk
07-11-2009, 07:06 PM
If we have any aspirations to be anywhere near splitting the old firm then we have to perform better than we did today. In most circumstances, a draw at Tynecastle is a good result but they were absolutely there for the taking. They were never going to score against us so I genuinely feel that we should have put more emphasis on winning the game. For me, the only positives to take from the game were the performance of the defence without Bamba and Wotherspoon's emergence as a real, confident talent.

:agree: but, without zouma there was no cutting edge. :thumbsup:

Sylar
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Mole:dunno:

Specsavers have a deal on the noo:faf:

They all look the same to me :duck:

EasterRoad4Ever
07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Any remaining doubts about why the Yams find themselves in the bottom 6 and struggling this season were answered today - punchless up front, no leaders and they look like a patchwork side that was thrown together within the last few days.

Makes it all the more galling that Hibs didn't have the guts, guile or ambition to compete for 2/3rd of the game. We've a number of honest but limited pros in the team who'll try their best whatever (Nish, Hogg, Rankin) but it was our so called "big players" who let the side down today - Benji, Stokes, Miller were all poor and looked disinterested much of the time. Big players, big match, high profile and a chance to put Hibs equal top and they were posted missing.

fife hfc
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I think thats a bit unfair. yes we were honking but I get the feeling after losing Zemmama, deek for 2/3rds of the game and bamba Yogi made sure we were solid today in his tactics rather than going for it. Lets not forget Hertz are ***** upfront but the way they set up is to stifle the life out of the opposition and they play a 4 -2-3-1 that means the space in which benji is meant to play is covered by two midfielders sitting there.

also rumours are that Miller had not trained all week due to injury and Stokes is not a left sided midfielder so Yogi got that wrong. All in all not the best set of circumstances to being into a derby with.

Expecting Rain
07-11-2009, 08:43 PM
We could have played without a keeper today, there only form of attack was long throw ins, we should have had a go at them, in the first half we were sleepwalking our way through the match, it took a surging run from the young laddie Wotherspoon to galvanise us into action, two points dropped in my opinion.

Jonnyboy
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
We could have played without a keeper today, there only form of attack was long throw ins, we should have had a go at them, in the first half we were sleepwalking our way through the match, it took a surging run from the young laddie Wotherspoon to galvanise us into action, two points dropped in my opinion.

I agree. We were set up wrongly IMO and should have had more width

Expecting Rain
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree. We were set up wrongly IMO and should have had more width

Absolutely Jonny, it suited them more that the midfield was congested, our players were getting in each others way.

Hibercelona
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Absolutely Jonny, it suited them more that the midfield was congested, our players were getting in each others way.

Noticed that myself.

They were often squashed in the middle of the park (No width at all).

You would often see 2 Hibs players standing in the same position, chasing after the same ball.

And because of this, players got shut down quickly as they had no back up in the spaces that should have been occupied by someone.

Hopefully they will work on this. :agree:

Jonnyboy
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Must do better ma er5e,cannae believe the tactics Yogi stuck to for today f,n unbelievable, we never attacked, we only looked threatening once,and that was after deeks came on, we didnae deserve a draw,but how bad are hertz and just how over rated are we?

Jeezo have you been on the bevvy :wink::wink:

Tonight Matthew I shall be Phil MaGlass (but only half way) :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Noticed that myself.

They were often squashed in the middle of the park (No width at all).

You would often see 2 Hibs players standing in the same position, chasing after the same ball.

And because of this, players got shut down quickly as they had no back up in the spaces that should have been occupied by someone.

Hopefully they will work on this. :agree:

:agree:

Rankin was really bad for that, kept wandering into the middle when he was meant to be wide right

davy1979
07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Any one else think we got our tactics wrong or did we just show them too much respect personally i thought we sat far too deep especially 1st half still a point at tynie is always ok feels like a defeat too me though

Spike Mandela
07-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Yip, it was another of these mysterious performances like the Hamilton game where Hibs just never really turned up.

Fortunately Hearts aren't good enough to take advantage.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm always happy with a point at Tynie.

Derbies make no sense.

Hibercelona
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
All teams have an occasional really poor performance.

And ours was today.

I'm glad we had it against Hearts (The team that can't score) other than anybody else.

Now we can start off fresh again, against St Mirren.

:hnet:

spoing
08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Got the feeling the Yams knew they were never going to score from open play so were throwing everything down the flanks to get corners and throw-ins deep in our half. It's been highlighted before that our team can lack a bit of hight but we dealt with them with ease.

We seemed intent on banging the ball long to Nish all game and with nobody close enough to him there was nobody to feed off him.

On another point I love the fact that Alan Preston raved about Nade's performance and he still couldn't produce heehaw.

brydekirk
08-11-2009, 08:32 AM
yogi- we have mavericks in the squad, we will score goals- WHEN?

johnrebus
08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
From the limited amount of time he's been given on the pitch, Danny Galbraith already looks like a real find.

Why was he not given the last ten minutes yesterday ?

A number of the Hearts players were dead on their feet lomg before the end and he could have done alot of damage IMHO.

:grr:

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
The title of this thread is must do better/2 points dropped. We are doing better. We are sitting 3rd, playing a damn site better than we have in a long time. :thumbsup:

Westie1875
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
The title of this thread is must do better/2 points dropped. We are doing better. We are sitting 3rd, playing a damn site better than we have in a long time. :thumbsup:

Well said, we have played some brilliant stuff at times so far and are 3rd (only 2 pts behind the huns). None of our competitors for 3rd have managed to beat us and only Celtc have won more games than us.

So we weren't great yesterday, we were missing Zemmama, Bamba and Riordan (1st half). Miller and McBride both apparently hardly trained all week due to injury. We had an off day and still did not lose, a draw in an away derby is never a bad result.

How about remembering the positives, Wotherspoon was fantastic, Driver had to swap wings to get much joy. Murray & Hogg were rock solid against the hoofs into the box all game and Stack came through his first derby with a clean sheet. Deek made a real difference when he came on which shows his worth to this team again for some of his doubters.

This team is doing fine, Yogi has said himself its not what he wants it to be yet, we are way ahead of where anyone expected.

:notworthy:

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm always happy with a point at Tynie.

Derbies make no sense.

In general terms, I'd agree, but you get the odd occasion where reality does assert itself.

7-0, 6-2.

Hamish
08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Not great yesterday BUT if somebody had said in August that we would be third and 11 points clear of the Hearts after the first derby I think most of us would have been fairly happy with that

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Not great yesterday BUT if somebody had said in August that we would be third and 11 points clear of the Hearts after the first derby I think most of us would have been fairly happy with that

I dont worry about them anymore, we are a club that has to look further up the table than those clubs who will be fighting a relegation battle. Its celtic and rangers we should be aiming our sights at, and champions league football. :wink:

forthhibby
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM

3rd is our realistic goal, come the turn of the year and the old firm are out of europe they will start to string results together and pull away in the league. We've just went unbeaten in a run of games with Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts, teams round about us will be playing each other over the next couple of weeks, if we can pick up points against St Mirren and Falkirk we could open a wee gap in the race for 3rd