PDA

View Full Version : Benji

EasterRoad4Ever
07-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Was that his worst ever performance in a Hibs strip ? Complete passenger from the first minute to his inevitable substitution. If he doesn;t have the excuse of injury, then I'd drop him for Nish for the next few games.

sKipper
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Was that his worst ever performance in a Hibs strip ? Complete passenger from the first minute to his inevitable substitution. If he doesn;t have the excuse of injury, then I'd drop him for Nish for the next few games.

Eh !

Nish was even worse.

sparkiehibs
07-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Wat?? :confused:

I would play Benji ahead of Nish every single day of the week.

I am not saying Nish is a terrible player but Benji does much more up front through bringing down the ball, controls it and plays it to players like deek, stokes and zouma

Because Nish was playing today, Benji got shoved to the right where he cant play that game and it takes him out of the game

Nish would be fine if he had a first touch and would stop falling over

CapitalHibs
07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Eh !

Nish was even worse.

Even though he showed an exquisite touch scoring at Ibrox, I think Stokes shows too often that he has the first touch of an elephant, Maybe being played in the wrong position?:dunno:

sKipper
07-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Even though he showed an exquisite touch scoring at Ibrox, I think Stokes shows too often that he has the first touch of an elephant, Maybe being played in the wrong position?:dunno:

Not his main skilll granted but he is a smaller elephant than Nish who makes my eyes bleed.

down-the-slope
07-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Benji was OK - at least held it up and tried to bring others in to play. I do think him & Zouma always look better when both on the pitch together...

Nish is never ever a sole striker (like Boyd) so it does him no favours to be played that way as he does not have the pace or touch for it. He needs someone feeding of him. Yogi will hopefully have now seen this.

I would have liked to see Byrne replace Nish last 20 mins..and Galbraith on for Stokes to try and stretch Hearts and use pace to get in behind

madabouthibs
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
We seem to think that when Nish is on the park we can play hoofball. :grr:

Benji did nothing today. In fact, I don't think he even did that much!
I think the sooner we get rid the better. :agree:

BSEJVT
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Whilst I am not sure I agree entirely with the last posters proposed subs, I too would have made changes.

It seemed to me that by that time Yogi had settled for a point, they were there for the taking IMO.

Again IMO the only of our four forwards to get anything like pass marks today was Riordan.

sesoim
07-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Eh !

Nish was even worse.

I'd offload both of them in Jan/June and sign Kevin Kyle if poss.

Perspective
07-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Benji didn't have one of his better games but he was dropping deep and at least looking for the ball.

His touch and technique is far superior to that of Nish, so I'd rather Benji had been pushed up top as a target man.

Having said that, the strikers had my sympathy today. I'm getting tired of Stack punting the ball forward aimlessly.

mully_bear
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
wat?? :confused:

I would play benji ahead of nish every single day of the week.

I am not saying nish is a terrible player but benji does much more up front through bringing down the ball, controls it and plays it to players like deek, stokes and zouma

because nish was playing today, benji got shoved to the right where he cant play that game and it takes him out of the game

nish would be fine if he had a first touch and would stop falling over a for benji1s first tuch today he was terrible

TornadoHibby
07-11-2009, 06:02 PM

:agree:

Stokes was verging on being very lazy and almost disinterested today I thought whereas at least Benji was trying to create and was always trying to break things up when they had the ball! :wink:

However, Stokes produces a special moment every now and then (Huns goal for example) and seems to be excused the low work rate and general contribution to the team game whereas too many on here and at the game today jump straight on top of Benji the second he misses a tackle or misplaces a pass or fails to control with his first touch an overhit and too high pass from a team mate as happened a couple of times today! :grr:

Some people don't realise how good this guy can be and he just needs some decent support to help his confidence levels IMO! :cool2:

davym7062
07-11-2009, 06:06 PM
stokes was awfull today. id have subbed him and put 4 in the middle with deeks and nish playing much closer

Si_17
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
To claim that was Benji's worst ever performance is ludicrous.

TornadoHibby
07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

Hibee_Rab
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Deeks and stokes with zouma supporting for me, that's a quality front line

WindyMiller
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Benji didn't have one of his better games but he was dropping deep and at least looking for the ball.

His touch and technique is far superior to that of Nish, so I'd rather Benji had been pushed up top as a target man.

Having said that, the strikers had my sympathy today. I'm getting tired of Stack punting the ball forward aimlessly.

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Jonnyboy
07-11-2009, 08:34 PM
To claim that was Benji's worst ever performance is ludicrous.

To be fair Si, Benji couldnae trap a bag of cement today. I always felt one of Benji's main strength was his touch on the ball but he was a million miles away from that sort of stuff today

Expecting Rain
07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Benji was brutal today and he was poor last week, he`s a very frustrating player because on occasions he has showed the qualities he undoubtedly has, i`m afraid he thinks he`s better than he is and plays for himself rather than the team, go on prove me wrong!:boo hoo:

brydekirk
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Benji was brutal today and he was poor last week, he`s a very frustrating player because on occasions he has showed the qualities he undoubtedly has, i`m afraid he thinks he`s better than he is and plays for himself rather than the team, go on prove me wrong!:boo hoo:

totally agree, might i remind you he is going to play for real madrid:bitchy:

Sylar
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
When Benji dropped into the hole and picked the ball up today, I thought his control and touch were both pretty good!

He didn't have any end product/vision to offload the ball regularly, but that's as much to do with the absence of a supporting line as it was Benji's inadequacy!

He did seem to be very lazy today though, failing to get up beside Nish, when he really should have been playing off Nish winning balls in the air.

I've seen Stokes 4 times now this season and have yet to be impressed. You can see he has the potential, as some of his touches are brilliant, but he looks unfit, and today, looked uninterested - perhaps a product of playing him on the flank as opposed to through the middle? He could be doing with losing some weight and improving his overall fitness though!

Expecting Rain
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
totally agree, might i remind you he is going to play for real madrid:bitchy:

Not anytime soon, it would be nice if he played for Hibs in the meantime.:greengrin

Sloppy
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
basically...... BENJI GTF:grr::grr::grr:

ForeverHibs93
07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I had a game today so I couldn't make the game but I did however record it and watch it when I got home. I might get slated for this but I don't think this performance was Benji's fault. Hughes played him out of position in midfield, which might suite some strikers but Benji is more of a hold up kind of player, no:confused:?

Aldo
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry but Benji was asked to play a different role today, as was Stokes and to be honest they didnt have good games but they were not as bad as Nish.

Sorry but this guy is 6ft 2 ish and sorry he was like bambi on Rollerskates. he did nothing at all yesterday apart from fall on his arse. Personally I would of played Benji or Stokes up front with Galbraith on the left and the other on the right.

Hughes tried something different but it didnt come off. Nish made their CH's look superb. Benji or Stokes would have taken the ball to feet and at least turned them.

I am a real fan of Nish but TBH if we are looking for a target man to hold play up then he is not the answer. Huhges comments today may mean looking for a Big CF in the transfer window with Nish being shown the door.

hibsbollah
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM

:flying::rolleyes:

Bishop Hibee
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Some rubbish talked on this thread in my opinion.

Nish: Can't play as a lone striker as he does not have the pace or control. Far better as part of a front 2. Would thrive if he had wingers/wide midfield players slinging in decent crosses to head or feet. The players behind him seemed to have little desire to get forward and support him yesterday (until Riordan came on) though.

Benji: The last few games show that he is a forward, not some sort of attacking midfield player. Zemamma should play this position if Yogi plays a 'diamond' attacking 4. Rankin would have been a better option in this position yesterday. Benji terrible yesterday.

Stokes: Not a wide player as he does not have the pace. Up front at the head of the attacking diamond that we're playing at present is his best position. Deek when fit or Galbraith are the best options for the wide left position.

Here endeth the lesson :wink:

hibhib7
09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Benji is not prepared to graft and put in the hard work. You can have all the ability in the world but it's nae use if you're chicken-hearted. He should be made to look at videos of players like Ryan Giggs to see how the great players get to the top, and stay there.

basehibby
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
basically...... BENJI GTF:grr::grr::grr:

:yawn: Well done for winning the hysterical over-reaction of the month prize - Nov 2009.

Benji didn't have a good game on saturday but TBH that didn't surprise me - he has great touch and is good with the ball at his feet but he is hardly a grafter which is perhaps what we needed to compete with the yAMS' far more industrious midfield. Also, with Nish in the side, players often seem to take the "easy" option and bypass the midfield - thus Benji was almost invisible for much of the game.
Benji has his faults but is part of the quality in depth which we have up front - what Saturday showed for me is that we lack depth in the creative midfield berths and if Zemama is out we all of a sudden look a much more ordinary side.

Biff Tannen
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
a for benji1s first tuch today he was terrible

So is your spelling

The Big No.9
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Benji is a centre forward as is stokes, play them in there correct positions and you see the difference and i agree as soon as Nish comes in we lump it long.

Nish doesnt win headers, second touch is a header or a tackle, so so weak, his starting position is all wrong, the guy is garbage.

euro Hibby
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Benji has grafted this year no question. Just had an off day in not his best position !

WindyMiller
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
:yawn: Well done for winning the hysterical over-reaction of the month prize - Nov 2009.

Benji didn't have a good game on saturday but TBH that didn't surprise me - he has great touch and is good with the ball at his feet but he is hardly a grafter which is perhaps what we needed to compete with the yAMS' far more industrious midfield. Also, with Nish in the side, players often seem to take the "easy" option and bypass the midfield - thus Benji was almost invisible for much of the game.
Benji has his faults but is part of the quality in depth which we have up front - what Saturday showed for me is that we lack depth in the creative midfield berths and if Zemama is out we all of a sudden look a much more ordinary side.

Bit early for that, no?
I'm sure there will be some stiff opposition over the next 3 weeks.

Jack
09-11-2009, 11:49 AM
A bad day in the office for our front line.

Zippo anticipation between the players and players and ball seemed to have a Teflon coating.

Speedway
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
The distance between nish's 1st and 2nd touches is often 20-30 yards. For this reason alone he wouldn't be in my starting XI under any circumstances.

Benji can only pass to Zoumer who wasn't on the pitch, so that was always going to be that.

Personally I'd offload everyone in January and bring players in to replace them who are better.

eg.

Out - Nish
In - Villa

Nailrod
09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I agree that both Benji and Stokes were ineffective in the first half, but I assume both were doing as they were told. Upshot was that Benji was lying deep and Stokes way out wide, both of them much too far away from Nish to pick up any worthwhile possession from the occasional long balls that he managed to win. The tactic just didn't work.

I don't think we can afford to play Nish if Zemamma is injured, particularly if Rankin is the alternative. Z is the only player we have who can carve open a defence and create any real chances for Nish, and without him we will simply end up punting long balls to Nish, most of which he won't win - Saturday being a perfect case in point.

Away from home I would rather see Stokes and Benji together up front, with Galbraith rather than Rankin if Zemamma is unfit. At home against teams that are playing tight against us I would play Nish rather than Benji, with Stokes in the centre to feed off him - as long as The Zouma is available.