PDA

View Full Version : post derby match interviews - Yogi criticising Nish (merged)

kevo1875
07-11-2009, 02:49 PM
all hearts do is play long ball up to nade and never a penalty at the end.......................exactly what we already diving hoofball merchants

lapsedhibee
07-11-2009, 04:27 PM
On Radio Scotland Shabby was dribbling on about how lucky Hibs have been all season, and how much better a team Hertz are than Hibs. And pointing out over and over and over again that you can't win a fitba match without scoring a goal (thanks for that Shabby). Hughes was concise and accurate in his assessment of the match. Some posters thought before JH arrived that because of his Leefspeak he would be a bit of an embarrassment as Hibs manager, but JH is streets ahead of The Dribbler.

Phil MaGlass
07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
All we done was the long ball game, we were pi5h, never a decent f,n pass or control in the game until the second half, and were supposed to be good:confused: WTF, seems like weve been riding our luck.We only looked half decent after Deeks came on.Benji,:confused: wtf was he doin, was he on
weed or something,pi5, pi5h and thrice pi5h.This game made hertz look good, all they lacked was a goal scorer.

MSK
07-11-2009, 05:06 PM
All we done was the long ball game, we were pi5h, never a decent f,n pass or control in the game until the second half, and were supposed to be good:confused: WTF, seems like weve been riding our luck.We only looked half decent after Deeks came on.Benji,:confused: wtf was he doin, was he on
weed or something,pi5, pi5h and thrice pi5h.This game made hertz look good, all they lacked was a goal scorer.We are 3rd in the league man gie it a rest ffs !!!! :yawn:

aljo7-0
07-11-2009, 05:08 PM
weed or something,pi5, pi5h and thrice pi5h.This game made hertz look good, all they lacked was a goal scorer.

No they lack class as well. Always have, always will

Part/Time Supporter
07-11-2009, 05:11 PM
On Radio Scotland Shabby was dribbling on about how lucky Hibs have been all season, and how much better a team Hertz are than Hibs. And pointing out over and over and over again that you can't win a fitba match without scoring a goal (thanks for that Shabby). Hughes was concise and accurate in his assessment of the match. Some posters thought before JH arrived that because of his Leefspeak he would be a bit of an embarrassment as Hibs manager, but JH is streets ahead of The Dribbler.

The way Laszlo was talking you would have thought Hearts had won the game easily.

Erm, no - you're four points below the split and around 10 points off a European place.

NaeTechnoHibby
07-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Result :thumbsup:

Everyone will think they are a decent side:greengrin

Gottae remember "this is a DERBY match"........... no one rolls over :dizzy:

Except Jamie Mole :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Interesting stuff here

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=695336&cc=5739

Laszlo basically saying that Romanov would punt him if he moans any more about not getting a striker, while Yogi is frustrated with the amount of time Nish spends on his arse. Kind of state the obvious stuff, but unusual for managers to be that blunt.

I Love Lamp
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Interesting stuff here

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=695336&cc=5739

Laszlo basically saying that Romanov would punt him if he moans any more about not getting a striker, while Yogi is frustrated with the amount of time Nish spends on his arse. Kind of state the obvious stuff, but unusual for managers to be that blunt.

Agree with your comments. Also think it's good to hear an interviewer chip in and interrupt him a few times so he couldn't go off on one of his rambling, self-indulgent diatribes.

Hibercelona
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM

*sniff sniff*

I Love Lamp
07-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Agree with your comments. Also think it's good to hear an interviewer chip in and interrupt him a few times so he couldn't go off on one of his rambling, self-indulgent diatribes.

Just to say this comment referred to Shabba rather than Yogi. Think Yogi's comments were pretty honest. Although it mystifies me that people expect physical presence from Nish having seen plentiful evidence to the contrary.

lapsedhibee
07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
it mystifies me that people expect physical presence from Nish having seen plentiful evidence to the contrary.

:agree: He's just not a big, physical player.

judas
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM

You hit the nail on the head.:agree:

FranckSuzy
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I loved it when Yogi wouldn't comment on the penalty claim until he'd seen it, then watched and summed it up perfectly with "the boy dived" :faf: :greengrin

Pete70
07-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Have I missed something? Did we lose today? Don't you think that's just a wee bit of an over-reaction.

Admitedly we didn't play all that well but we still kept a clean sheet. Stack hardly had a save to make despite all their posession. Add to that the fact we started the match without probably our 3 best players this season a draw at the PBS isn't all that bad a result. Don't forget though we were only the thickness of a post away from scoring.

Mag7
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like he's on borrowed time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8348730.stm

Basically admitting he he ain't getting to sign a striker in January without saying so directly. Credit to him, he's lasted a long time by Vlad manager standards but he's about to become the latest escapee from the lunatic asylum methinks. One of the less dislikeable Hearts managers, but he thinks he's way better than he actually is.

Bring back F(r)ail I say :wink:

Hibercelona
07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm not too concerned for him.

As soon as he leaves, the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea will be banging on his door for his magnificent services...

Alex B
07-11-2009, 11:54 PM
He'll be gone before January so he shouldn't concern himself with signings (or lack of them in Hearts case).

sleeping giant
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I hope he stays a while longer. I dont want them getting a wee boost with a new manager.

jakedance
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not too concerned for him.

As soon as he leaves, the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea will be banging on his door for his magnificent services...

Probably a straight swap with Benitez, who'll lure the cream of European talent to Tynecastle with Vlad's promised 'warchest'.

ian cruise
08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
were they not meant to be getting avram grant?

:lolyam:

jakedance
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
were they not meant to be getting avram grant?

:lolyam:

Aye, it'll be between him and Scala.

My guess is that they might go without one again for a bit.

RickyS
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
He'll be gone before January so he shouldn't concern himself with signings (or lack of them in Hearts case).

we all know their strikers are pesh, but should Shabby not be trying to boost their strikers confidence instead of telling anyone who listens that none of them are good enough?

GordonR
08-11-2009, 12:30 AM
"With all respect to Hibs, they are better in the table but they are not better than my team.

"The difference is they have up front two or three good strikers."

So the difference would be that Hibs are a better team, because they have up front two or three good strikers, as opposed to Hearts, who don't.

It's not rocket science, Laszlo. It's just plain logic, common sense and properly thought-out sentences.

jakedance
08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
So the difference would be that Hibs are a better team, because they have up front two or three good strikers, as opposed to Hearts, who don't.

It's not rocket science, Laszlo. It's just plain logic, common sense and properly thought-out sentences.

Aye we're only better because our players are better. It's no fair.

sahib
08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
"What I'm really looking for is a big 6ft 2in (player) not to be on his backside all the time."
:bitchy:

PISTOL1875
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
"What I'm really looking for is a big 6ft 2in (player) not to be on his backside all the time."

He's right.. Nish needs to be stronger and stay on his feet more... If he can't do that , then get rid of him and get somebody who can....

Hibercelona
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Whats wrong with that?

He calls it as it is.

If Nish gets all huffy about that, then thats his problem.

A real professional should get a boost from that and try to do better.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Me too, Eddie the ****in eagle Edwards managed to stay on his feet more than him.

Toaods
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Have to disagree with you and agree with Yogi.

It's almost as though he has no strength at times.

Crouch is bigger and more gangly but doesn't fall over so easily. I don't think it's a problem that Nish is able to address though...it's just what he is.

WindyMiller
08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Me too, Eddie the ****in eagle Edwards managed to stay on his feet more than him.

:faf:
V.good BH

Keith_M
08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
What Yogi said is just repeating what Hibs fans have been saying about him for ages.

One thing I would say is that I'd prefer not to hear the manager criticise his own players in public.

Just Jimmy
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
kinda the same as I'd expect for a player of that size.

not unreasonable and the hopefully the kick up the arse Nish required since he signed IMHO.

Riordans Boots
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I like Nish - However ..... he canny stop falling down :grr:(Bambi :greengrin)

Once at a game, he was on his erse for the umpteenth time and I shouted "Oi Nishy, you got yer slippers on!!"

My wee lad replied "No mum, he's wearing his football boots" :dizzy:

cannastar
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
i think johns comments may have come at an ill judged time and probably after a few hours he would have thought the same being the fairminded guy he is.nish has just rediscovered his confidence and the role he was asked to play yesterday wasnt easy considering he never received the service he should have had.im sure over the season he will prove his worth particularly when the pitches become heavier and some of the defenders from warmer climates dont fancy the torrential downpours on late saturday afternoons.hopefully our supporters will give him the backing that every player who pulls on our jersey should be given.:notworthy:

joe breezy
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I hope he stays a while longer. I dont want them getting a wee boost with a new manager.

A boost!? When have they had a boost from any of the previous 36 or whatever it is managers?

It will probably be Gary Glitter or maybe Ronnie Corbett, goodness knows but it's almost bound to be comedy. :greengrin

greenlex
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Kevin Kyle? :dizzy:

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Yogi is right Nish spends a lot of time on his erse, if he was an opposition player he would drive you nuts.

He spends too much time looking for free kicks which would be OK if it wasnt for the fact that every ref in the league seems to be wise to him.

I'm not calling him a diver, just a falls down too easily..er

:confused:

But I dont think Yogi should be having a go in public. Unless of couse he has told him a hundred times in private and frustration is getting the better of him.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2009/11/09/hibs-striker-colin-nish-floored-by-boss-john-hughes-rant-86908-21808146/

Yogi saying what everyone else was thinking!

For me Nish is not good enough. Its not just Saturdays game that he was on his backside, every game he plays he falls down, usually when changing from running backwards to forwards. The bad thing is that he usually looks for a foul.

He also only provides a couple of decent headers in a game when that should really be his strengths. Nish away in january?

bighairyfaeleith
09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm one of nish's biggest critics and I have to say Hughes is right here. But I do hope Nish takes the message and starts to fight a bit more. My main problems with him are that he falls over to much and doesn't make it to enough headers.

If he improves in these two areas then he could be a real asset.

But unless he does I'd get get rid of him, probably not in january but certainly next summer.

GlesgaeHibby
09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2009/11/09/hibs-striker-colin-nish-floored-by-boss-john-hughes-rant-86908-21808146/

For me Nish is not good enough. Its not just Saturdays game that he was on his backside, every game he plays he falls down, usually when changing from running backwards to forwards. The bad thing is that he usually looks for a foul.

He also only provides a couple of decent headers in a game when that should really be his strengths. Nish away in january?
:agree:

Nish is an incredibly poor footballer. Saturday typified everything that is awful about his game;

1. No pace
2. No strength
3. Arms always flying everywhere everytime he jumps
4. Always on his arse
5. Poor first touch
6. No physical presence
7. Lack of fitness.

euro Hibby
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
don't see the fuss. All big laddies who sometimes need a kick in the backside and an arm around them later. Front third we were not good enough Saturday and the players know it !

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
:agree:

Nish is an incredibly poor footballer. Saturday typified everything that is awful about his game;

1. No pace
2. No strength
3. Arms always flying everywhere everytime he jumps
4. Always on his arse
5. Poor first touch
6. No physical presence
7. Lack of fitness.

Aye but apart from that.:wink:

jacomo
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
The Daily Record loves to put the boot into Hibs whenever possible. We should be wary about people trying to attack the club.

Nish has his faults but as long as he plays for us he'll get my support. He helped out with the defensive duties on Saturday, important when Hearts had so many set pieces against us.

I know that he should have offered more at the other end as well, but he did at least help in stopping us conceding.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
The Daily Record loves to put the boot into Hibs whenever possible. We should be wary about people trying to attack the club.

Nish has his faults but as long as he plays for us he'll get my support. He helped out with the defensive duties on Saturday, important when Hearts had so many set pieces against us.

I know that he should have offered more at the other end as well, but he did at least help in stopping us conceding.

Yes, he did help at defensive duties, but his inclusion in the side, IMO, meant that we lost our shape. Stokes out wide? big error there. Stokes through the middle every time. Nish never held the ball up which meant it came straight back and put us under pressure. I will support him when he plays but not booing etc, but there comes a time when you cant defend a player any longer for their weeknesses, and for me that time came a while ago. Its a shame because he seems like a nice guy.

SMAXXA
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
From the Daily Record article, Nish on Yogi -

He said: "He told me if I fell on my a**e again he'd put me on it himself. :top marks

Hahathats brilliant, can just picture Nish's face, mind if Yogi said that to me id certainly be doing everything I could to keep on my feet!

I find Nish frustrating, at times I think he has a place at Hibs and is decent to bring on to offer a bit height, but I find myself more so these days thinking we would be better off punting him and bringing in someone else with a bit physical presence about him.

Austinho
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I was in the Main Stand for the game, and clear saw Yogi and Nish exchanging heated words at one point. Nish then told him to **** off.

Hibby 2005
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
You can only piss with the cock you have and on Sat. Nish was left stranded by the overly defensive tactics deployed by Yogi.
Once Benji went off and we had some width from Deek, Nish was far more effective and could well have been the match-winner in a game we didn't deserve to win.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I was in the Main Stand for the game, and clear saw Yogi and Nish exchanging heated words at one point. Nish then told him to **** off.

Its a strange one with Yogi, no one expects him to take any crap off anyone, and he tells everyone the same, although, I dont think I have seen a manager take as much from his players as Yogi. I constantly see players shouting back at him and swearing at him, in particular McBride, every week I see them shouting at each other.

Its a strange one as he obviously has there respect from the way the play (mostly).

Cant imagine Walter Smith or Alex Ferguson being told to **** off by their players.

basehibby
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Its a strange one with Yogi, no one expects him to take any crap off anyone, and he tells everyone the same, although, I dont think I have seen a manager take as much from his players as Yogi. I constantly see players shouting back at him and swearing at him, in particular McBride, every week I see them shouting at each other.

Its a strange one as he obviously has there respect from the way the play (mostly).

Cant imagine Walter Smith or Alex Ferguson being told to **** off by their players.

Yogi and his players obviously enjoy an open and expressive relationship - he must be a "new man" :greengrin

Re big Nish, I can only agree with Hughes' comments - he's a frustrating player as he goes down far too easily - OK he wins the occasional free kick, but far too often moves break down because Nish is acting like Bambi on rollerskates the second a central defender puts the slightest bit of pressure on him - dunno if it's deliberate or due to lack of stamina/strength but big Colin could do with watching a compilation of Mixu/Brewster/Killen highlights and trying to add some of their qualities to his game.

hibsbollah
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM

And what is there to disagree with about that? About time it was said.

MB62
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM

I agree with everything you said apart from the bit in bold.
Nothing in that game made anybody or either team look good. It was possibly the worst, most boring derby I have witnessed in a long time.

For all the possession we conceded to hearts, they just NEVER looked like scoring. As for us, we were terrible until Deeks came on but for an hour we were incredibly poor, poor being kind in description.

I think when Zoumma doesn't play, we need to revert to 4-4-2 as the 4-2-3-1 system doesn't seem to work.

down the slope
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok Nish is not the best but he at least fell down occasionally unlike Benji who was doing the strolling about bit for most of the match. When we had eleven players on the park we looked better than them , i thought our defence was superb and did you notice the way they looked so calm even when the hammer throwers were chucking it in from all angles ?, we strolled it and ok never really looked like scoring ourselves but when did one Jambo get to the bye line without a tackle coming in ? changed days indeed at ER.

ancient hibee
09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Our record over the last 6 games is a tribute to the way the defence has been organised.Now let's score some goals please.

johnrebus
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Yeah, and that header in the 88th minute against the Sheep last week was down to pure luck.

I would rather have settled for a point.

3pm
09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
What is Yogi all about? Does Nish act like Drogba in training and then turn into Bambi on a Saturday afternoon? :greengrin If you go to Tynecastle it's going to be a battle....using him as the lone striker wasn't the best move. No touch and no mobility...a problem escalated by poor performances from Benji, Stokes and Rankin thus offering no support. Liam Miller also needs to go up a few gears. To be fair as well though, some of the passes he received were horrific.

He's a good sub, nothing more. Cheerio Colin at the end of the season I think.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, and that header in the 88th minute against the Sheep last week was down to pure luck.

I would rather have settled for a point.

So what if he scored one goal. I am sure there will be a point in Nade's career that he scores a goal, and at that point I dont think it will make him a good player.

Nish is not a great footballer in my opinion and a goal against nine men doesnt make him one!

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
What is Yogi all about? Does Nish act like Drogba in training and then turn into Bambi on a Saturday afternoon? :greengrin If you go to Tynecastle it's going to be a battle....using him as the lone striker wasn't the best move. No touch and no mobility...a problem escalated by poor performances from Benji, Stokes and Rankin thus offering no support. Liam Miller also needs to go up a few gears. To be fair as well though, some of the passes he received were horrific.

He's a good sub, nothing more. Cheerio Colin at the end of the season I think.

Yogi played him because Bamba was out and we needed height to defend set pieces etc, otherwise he would have been on his backside on the bench not the pitch!

Bad Martini
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
You can only piss with the cock you have and on Sat. Nish was left stranded by the overly defensive tactics deployed by Yogi.
Once Benji went off and we had some width from Deek, Nish was far more effective and could well have been the match-winner in a game we didn't deserve to win.

Correct. Spot on.

Whilst on the matter, the game turned when Riordan come on....and Benji went off (who was a definite passenger and lets no start talking about folk falling over and not mentioning the flower Benji's antics).

The reality is, we played pish. We were ***** till Riordan come on and for the last 32 minutes, we played far better. If we'd had Zooma and Riordan on from the start, and had the good sense to NOT play hoofball and 1 up front with the target man Nish, we'd have scored.

As it was, we didnt even LOOK like scoring til Riordan come on. We were lacking everywhere, no midfield, couldnt pass wind and as I said before the game, prevented OURSELVES from winning.

It was NOT that hearts were good, they threw all they could at one of our worst teams (performance wise) in weeks and STILL couldnt score (they couldnt score in a brothel right now) but were lucky we were playing a crap hearts side otherwise we'd have been slapped there due to:
1) OUR inability to play and pass the ball
2) Yogi's woeful plan of 1 up front/hoof the ball to Nish

Anyway, a draw was fair on us. If we want to stay up there in the league, we need Zooma, Riordan and proper tactics from Yogi.

Still, it must piss them off that, whilst we were really, really, really, really, really crap...they were trying their ass off and STILL couldnt score, let alone beat us :greengrin

Onwards and upwards

GLORY GLORY

sahib
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
And what is there to disagree with about that? About time it was said.

I thought it more of a fans type of comment. It struck me as the most blunt criticsm, of Hibs player, by a manager that I have read. I think Yogi can get away with it unlike Collins who seemed to get everybodys backs up with out trying.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Correct. Spot on.

Whilst on the matter, the game turned when Riordan come on....and Benji went off (who was a definite passenger and lets no start talking about folk falling over and not mentioning the flower Benji's antics).

The reality is, we played pish. We were ***** till Riordan come on and for the last 32 minutes, we played far better. If we'd had Zooma and Riordan on from the start, and had the good sense to NOT play hoofball and 1 up front with the target man Nish, we'd have scored.

As it was, we didnt even LOOK like scoring til Riordan come on. We were lacking everywhere, no midfield, couldnt pass wind and as I said before the game, prevented OURSELVES from winning.

It was NOT that hearts were good, they threw all they could at one of our worst teams (performance wise) in weeks and STILL couldnt score (they couldnt score in a brothel right now) but were lucky we were playing a crap hearts side otherwise we'd have been slapped there due to:
1) OUR inability to play and pass the ball
2) Yogi's woeful plan of 1 up front/hoof the ball to Nish

Anyway, a draw was fair on us. If we want to stay up there in the league, we need Zooma, Riordan and proper tactics from Yogi.

Still, it must piss them off that, whilst we were really, really, really, really, really crap...they were trying their ass off and STILL couldnt score, let alone beat us :greengrin

Onwards and upwards

GLORY GLORY

Agree and disagree with you here. As far as I am concerned hoofball is an eye sore and should not be used, however, Yogi set up this style on Saturday, and where it went wrong was that Nish wasnt doing his part in this style. He was asked to hold the ball up and bring other into the game.

He never held the ball up as when he did win it in the air his touch was that bad hearts just came in and nicked the ball (this happened all over the pitch not just nish).

The problem for me with Nish was that he struggled to win anything and constantly fell over. You are right that we played better when riordan came in, but this wasnt because Nish was playing closer to play it was because we stopped hoofing it. I am not disagreeing with you on the tactics side of thing, I am disagreeing with how Nish plays. He was asked to hold the ball up and win it in the air. He didnt do it!

ahibby
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I can't think of a centre forward in the SPL who would have performed any better in a solo role at Tynecastle. Their centre backs aren't huddies and Nish having two on him because he is playing a lone role makes life to difficult. In a boring game for 75% of the time to take a head flick almost in to the back of the net is something. Even if he held on to the ball I doubt whether support would have arrived as our game plan appeared to be containment for the first hour or so. That isn't a swipe because with the players we had missing and the shuffling we had to do at the last minute I think the game plan was right. Also considering Hearts had everything to prove and do in order to get some points, being prepared to defend first and foremost was the right thing to do. Not the kind of game any centre forward would enjoy, until the last fifteen or so.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I can't think of a centre forward in the SPL who would have performed any better in a solo role at Tynecastle. Their centre backs aren't huddies and Nish having two on him because he is playing a lone role makes life to difficult. In a boring game for 75% of the time to take a head flick almost in to the back of the net is something. Even if he held on to the ball I doubt whether support would have arrived as our game plan appeared to be containment for the first hour or so. That isn't a swipe because with the players we had missing and the shuffling we had to do at the last minute I think the game plan was right. Also considering Hearts had everything to prove and do in order to get some points, being prepared to defend first and foremost was the right thing to do. Not the kind of game any centre forward would enjoy, until the last fifteen or so.

Nish was terrible yesterday, and even the gaffer is getting on it him. I know hibbys want to protect hibbys but this is a bit much. Nish never knew much about the flick that hit the post, he said it himself.

A good player brings other players into the game, and what Nish needed to do was control the ball and hold it enough time for someone to get in to support. Even you have said in your post that he never held the ball up (highlighted above), which he is supposed to do. My question to you is what did he do? He never held the ball up, he never won much in the air. He was on his erse most of the time, he looked tired within 45 minutes and didnt look interested. Regardless of what the right tactics were, Nish was put in the team to hold the ball up and bring players into the game, and to win the ball in the air. He didnt do any of that.

ahibby
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Nish was terrible yesterday, and even the gaffer is getting on it him. I know hibbys want to protect hibbys but this is a bit much. Nish never knew much about the flick that hit the post, he said it himself.

A good player brings other players into the game, and what Nish needed to do was control the ball and hold it enough time for someone to get in to support. Even you have said in your post that he never held the ball up (highlighted above), which he is supposed to do. My question to you is what did he do? He never held the ball up, he never won much in the air. He was on his erse most of the time, he looked tired within 45 minutes and didnt look interested. Regardless of what the right tactics were, Nish was put in the team to hold the ball up and bring players into the game, and to win the ball in the air. He didnt do any of that.

Not a lot but no less than some others who had players around them, Nish was the only player stuck out on his own but no one makes allowances for him being so far on his own. I remember him making only one flick on in the first half and I don't remember many if any good balls being played to him. If they are going to play high balls for him to flick on then Benji and Stokes have to be prepared to run from behind him to in front of him but from what I could see they werent ready to do so. IMO we set out our stall to contain for most of the game which isn't ideal for any lone CF. I understand his critics point of view and I too have slated him at times when he has had more support than he had on Sat, I just don't think this is the game to be slating him for our defensive tactics. He has made some very useful passes when he has had players along side him and in front of him but he is toiling as a lone striker I don't argue against that.

down-the-slope
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Don't dislike him but the surprise is that its taken Yogi so long. When he is good he is a great player and can score some good goals (His one against aberdeen being typical)

However the downsides

1. Inconsistent generally
2. Poor first touch
3. Some linesmen would die of the cold if it were not for the excercise Nish's constant offsides give their arms
4. Can't play with back to goal as lone striker(See No.2)
5. Jumps like he is 5'2''
6. Does not use size to 'bully' defenders enough
7. Falls down easier than autum leaves in a storm

Rory89
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Laszlo saying that Hearts are better but Hibs have better strikers?

Fair point Csaba, whilst we're at it apart from her body and her face Susan Boyle is better looking than Megan Fox.

Last season it always seemed to be the case that our manager was always classless and whiny, whilst Csaba always came across well and showed respect (remember Mixu refusing to shake Csaba's hand after the cup game?). This season it seems like a complete role reversal.

The_Horde
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Yogi is right Nish spends a lot of time on his erse, if he was an opposition player he would drive you nuts.

He spends too much time looking for free kicks which would be OK if it wasnt for the fact that every ref in the league seems to be wise to him.

I'm not calling him a diver, just a falls down too easily..er

:confused:

But I dont think Yogi should be having a go in public. Unless of couse he has told him a hundred times in private and frustration is getting the better of him.

He did drive me nuts while at killie. :grr:

HibbyAndy
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I really dont rate Nish whatsoever. BUT he will get us 8,9,10 goals a season. and many SPL clubs would take that, i dont see him being on great wages at ER, so its probably good value having him at the club.

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Not a lot but no less than some others who had players around them, Nish was the only player stuck out on his own but no one makes allowances for him being so far on his own. I remember him making only one flick on in the first half and I don't remember many if any good balls being played to him. If they are going to play high balls for him to flick on then Benji and Stokes have to be prepared to run from behind him to in front of him but from what I could see they werent ready to do so. IMO we set out our stall to contain for most of the game which isn't ideal for any lone CF. I understand his critics point of view and I too have slated him at times when he has had more support than he had on Sat, I just don't think this is the game to be slating him for our defensive tactics. He has made some very useful passes when he has had players along side him and in front of him but he is toiling as a lone striker I don't argue against that.

For our defensive tactics to work we required a big man up top that could hold the ball in. Nish never did this, and he did have a few good balls into him but either his touch let him down or he headed it on to no one or he fell down. If you look at Nish you have to wonder what type of player he is. He is big, slow and awkward. this means he is limited to what he can do and other players in the same boat as him should be able to take the ball in and control it. You keep pointing to the way hibs played as being a problem as to why Nish had a bad game.

Yogi didnt play him to get in behind defenders, outpace, or skin them. he played Nish to hold the ball up, win it in the air and generally annoy the defenders. Whether he had players supporting him is irrelevant as he done none of the above. At the very least he should have held the ball up and passed it back.

RIP
09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Only a tube would play Colin Nish as a lone target man against twin centre halfs

Mixu did it but - I'm sorry - there's really no excuse for John Hughes to be making the same mistake. Colin's strengths are playing off strikers and providing assists not the lone forager. That's why he was so effective with Fletch. Instead of the diamond Yogi should have had Stokesy or Benji up front with Nish in a narrower 4-4-2.

I reckon it's Yogi not Nishy that needs his ass kicked

copycat
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Only a tube would play Colin Nish as a lone target man against twin centre halfs

Mixu did it but - I'm sorry - there's really no excuse for John Hughes to be making the same mistake. Colin's strengths are playing off strikers and providing assists not the lone forager. That's why he was so effective with Fletch. Instead of the diamond Yogi should have had Stokesy or Benji up front with Nish in a narrower 4-4-2.

and that was exactly what benji was supposed to do

HFC 0-7
09-11-2009, 05:28 PM

So you are saying that Nish is not capable of holding a ball up? If thats the case then he needs to go! Nish was only playing because Bamba was out and we needed height for set pieces. Cant believe you are slating Yogi and not Nish. Yogi has done wonders Nish has done nothing but fall on his erse! Cant be defended in my opinion.

Bad Martini
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
So you are saying that Nish is not capable of holding a ball up? If thats the case then he needs to go! Nish was only playing because Bamba was out and we needed height for set pieces. Cant believe you are slating Yogi and not Nish. Yogi has done wonders Nish has done nothing but fall on his erse! Cant be defended in my opinion.

I can see some of yer points mate.

However, the way in which Nish was asked to play was never gonna work. It improved, as did Nish when Deek come on. The reality is, the crappy system Yogi had employed is not the right way to play and 1 up front is rarely successful.

Its a bit of both here I Reckon. Nish is NOT the best footballer in the world but playing this lone striker/holding player is a ****ty tactic too. :agree:

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I can see some of yer points mate.

However, the way in which Nish was asked to play was never gonna work. It improved, as did Nish when Deek come on. The reality is, the crappy system Yogi had employed is not the right way to play and 1 up front is rarely successful.

Its a bit of both here I Reckon. Nish is NOT the best footballer in the world but playing this lone striker/holding player is a ****ty tactic too. :agree:

I agree, and I did say in earlier posts that I didnt agree with the tactics, however, he was asked to do a job and he did it badly. I wasnt expecting him to control the ball, bring it down skin 3 men then fire a shot into the top corner. All that was asked is that he held the ball up, by controlling or winning it in the air then finding a pass. He wasnt winning anything and his control was terrible.

I think his performance on Saturday was his worst and it didnt go un noticed by the manager who publicly vented (Something he shouldnt do IMO, but he was obviously that annoyed that he couldnt hold it in!)

RIP
10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree, and I did say in earlier posts that I didnt agree with the tactics, however, he was asked to do a job and he did it badly. I wasnt expecting him to control the ball, bring it down skin 3 men then fire a shot into the top corner. All that was asked is that he held the ball up, by controlling or winning it in the air then finding a pass. He wasnt winning anything and his control was terrible.

I think his performance on Saturday was his worst and it didnt go un noticed by the manager who publicly vented (Something he shouldnt do IMO, but he was obviously that annoyed that he couldnt hold it in!)

I think the mistake that Yogi made was the lone striker option. It kind of worked in the Garry O days becuase we had fast players like young Deeks or Ivan playing off him.

Put a disinterested Stokes or Benji beside Nish and you have the sum of **** all. Neither player was making the runs - it took an appearance from Deeks to start the interplay up front.

As Nevin said recently I'd rather have a worker like Nish up front than a couple of lazy barstewards who think they are too classy to be making runs. Forthcoming international fixtures playing on their minds perhaps? Nish said in the press that when he was laying the ball off there was no-one near him!!:grr:

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Just watching the stv news, and Kevin Kyle says he only has a short term deal at killie. I'd take him 100 times out of a hundred over Nish. I'd like to see him up front, with Riordan and Stokes feeding of the balls he CAN hold up, rather than collapsing in a heap whenever the ball goes near him.

HFC 0-7
10-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I think the mistake that Yogi made was the lone striker option. It kind of worked in the Garry O days becuase we had fast players like young Deeks or Ivan playing off him.

Put a disinterested Stokes or Benji beside Nish and you have the sum of **** all. Neither player was making the runs - it took an appearance from Deeks to start the interplay up front.

As Nevin said recently I'd rather have a worker like Nish up front than a couple of lazy barstewards who think they are too classy to be making runs. Forthcoming international fixtures playing on their minds perhaps? Nish said in the press that when he was laying the ball off there was no-one near him!!:grr:

We have lazy barstewards up front and they are the ones that will score the goals (Riordan and Stokes). Laying the ball off? He maybe done it twice, but thats not what he was meant to do. He was meant to hold the ball up and wait for players. A decent player looks to see if there is anyone there before laying it off. I am sorry but I think it will have to be an agree to disagree here. I dont rate Nish, never have, yes he will score goals if we play a certain style, but hughes is not wanting that style. I think given a chance, Yogi will show him the door and he will look for the likes of Kyle to come in, a stronger, physical player who has better footballing ability.

heartbreaker
10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
The league table doesn't lie. We are 3 points off the top. Where are the Gorgons?

To be honest I thought we should have stuffed them.

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Just watching the stv news, and Kevin Kyle says he only has a short term deal at killie. I'd take him 100 times out of a hundred over Nish. I'd like to see him up front, with Riordan and Stokes feeding of the balls he CAN hold up, rather than collapsing in a heap whenever the ball goes near him.

Saw that too. Could be the man for us, but would definately mean Nish would be punted if he came to ER.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Saw that too. Could be the man for us, but would definately mean Nish would be punted if he came to ER.

I could live with that.

WindyMiller
11-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm not fussy about Nish staying, but I can't se the need to always have a big target man in the team.
We play against lots of slow, tall CH's; I'd like us to have a very mobile front line, and play theball on the deck.

IWasThere2016
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I really dont rate Nish whatsoever. BUT he will get us 8,9,10 goals a season. and many SPL clubs would take that, i dont see him being on great wages at ER, so its probably good value having him at the club.

We paid £125k for him too!

IWasThere2016
11-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Yogi didn't shake Nish's at FT and gave him a bollocking in the dressing room also

IWasThere2016
11-11-2009, 07:16 AM
I have to say I think Nish falls over cos he cannae run! He's generally blawing oot his erse after 10-15 mins and is nowhere near good enough. Yogi's comments are a sign that he won't be working with Nish much longer IMHO.

Hibercelona
11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Nothing against the big fella...

But Hibs could do a lot better IMO. :agree:

10 goals a season from a striker really isn't that good if we are being honest about it.

RIP
11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
We have lazy barstewards up front and they are the ones that will score the goals (Riordan and Stokes). Laying the ball off? He maybe done it twice, but thats not what he was meant to do. He was meant to hold the ball up and wait for players. A decent player looks to see if there is anyone there before laying it off. I am sorry but I think it will have to be an agree to disagree here. I dont rate Nish, never have, yes he will score goals if we play a certain style, but hughes is not wanting that style. I think given a chance, Yogi will show him the door and he will look for the likes of Kyle to come in, a stronger, physical player who has better footballing ability.

Let's face it no-one is going to convince you as you are already determined to slag off a first-team Hibs player. You aren't interested in debate?

Colin delivered a few decent layoffs against Hearts - it's just that Stokes and Benji had the first touch of an elephant. Did you miss the layoff to Stokes which put him clean through only for Anthony to fall on his backside instead of slotting it past Baloch?

Try holding the ball up when you are playing against twin centre-halfs with negligible support. Colin's physique has improved greatly over the summer but against one of the best stoppers in the SPL his percentage return was going to be based on who was making runs. The fact was until Deeks came on - no-one was working the channels.

If Yogi wanted to play Colin as a target man he should have organised the formation narrower to have one or two 'inside forward' roles instead of wide or deep men thirty yards from Nish. It's exactly the sort of tactical niavety we saw from Mixu.

HFC 0-7
11-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Let's face it no-one is going to convince you as you are already determined to slag off a first-team Hibs player. You aren't interested in debate?

Colin delivered a few decent layoffs against Hearts - it's just that Stokes and Benji had the first touch of an elephant. Did you miss the layoff to Stokes which put him clean through only for Anthony to fall on his backside instead of slotting it past Baloch?

Try holding the ball up when you are playing against twin centre-halfs with negligible support. Colin's physique has improved greatly over the summer but against one of the best stoppers in the SPL his percentage return was going to be based on who was making runs. The fact was until Deeks came on - no-one was working the channels.

If Yogi wanted to play Colin as a target man he should have organised the formation narrower to have one or two 'inside forward' roles instead of wide or deep men thirty yards from Nish. It's exactly the sort of tactical niavety we saw from Mixu.

You have a go at me for slagging off a first team player yet you are clearly putting the put in to Yogi for his tactics! pot kettle black!

I am not saying I could do a better job than Nish I am saying that he is a professional footballer, who should be able to what is being asked. Yes he had 2 men on him, but they are behind him. Ball on chest then pass back to midfield. Kevin Kyle can do it, Kenny miller can do, FFS Scott Macdonald can do it and he is tiny. Even Stokes did it against Rangers, although I am not expecting Nish to do the keepy uppy part and lob the keeper. My point is that he he had lots of balls into him and as you say only around 2 came off. Very Very poor.

Can you argue that he never fell over too much, that he too had a touch like and elephant, that his running is slow and cumbersome.

I agree that stokes and benji didnt play that well but I am basing my opinion of Nish over a lot of games. Yes he scored a vital goal against aberdeen, but it was when they were down to 9 men and probably tired. Nish will get goals over a season, but what he does the rest of the time hinders the team. He constantly breaks up play going forward by falling over, bad touch and being caught offside. As others have said on here he seems to jump but hunch at the same time meaning he is shorter than when standing. For a big guy who doesnt have a lot of footballing ability his strengths should be in the air, using his physique and holding the ball up, but he isnt that good.

Nish seems to have no confidence, and maybe you are right that if he reads a board it may dent it more, but I am entitled to my opinion and IMO Nish has been lacking confidence even when he was at killie, and I dont want Hibs to be the team to try and perceviere with him running the risk of him playing badly!

Maybe Nish was a good player for Hibs, but we are a better team now, and I think we should be setting our heights higher than the caliber of Nish.

RIP
11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
You have a go at me for slagging off a first team player yet you are clearly putting the put in to Yogi for his tactics! pot kettle black!

I am a Yogi fan who believes he might get his tactics wrong the odd occasion. Your starting point is to believe that Colin isn't good enough for Hibs and hope to convince us that we should all feel the same.

He's your average Hibs player - got his good and bad points. He's currently a squad player, not a first pick. It will be a long season and the Rankins, Nish's Stevenson's and Cregg's will need to substitute for first team players out through injury and suspension. As long as that's the case as long as they give of their best they should be deserving of our support. Nish was not our worst player on Saturday by any stretch.

Out of interest what would have been your team and formation with Bamba, Zemmama and Riordan non-starters?

HFC 0-7
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I am a Yogi fan who believes he might get his tactics wrong the odd occasion. Your starting point is to believe that Colin isn't good enough for Hibs and hope to convince us that we should all feel the same.

He's your average Hibs player - got his good and bad points. He's currently a squad player, not a first pick. It will be a long season and the Rankins, Nish's Stevenson's and Cregg's will need to substitute for first team players out through injury and suspension. As long as that's the case as long as they give of their best they should be deserving of our support. Nish was not our worst player on Saturday by any stretch.

Out of interest what would have been your team and formation with Bamba, Zemmama and Riordan non-starters?

I know we have to play with what we have but I am saying that I dont think that Nish is what we need and that another player should be brought in, and I honestly think Yogi is thinking down these lines.

I wouldnt have played Nish at tynie, I think because Bamba was out and we needed height, that was the only reason Nish started.

I would have put Hanlon in for Stevenson for the extra height, or maybe Mccormack in the middle of defence with Hogg and keep murray left. I would have played Mcbride, Miller, Cregg and Galbraith in midfield (Galbraith to stretch their defence, push it back and keep our width,) with Stokes and Benji/Riordan up front. I wouldnt mind seeing benji up top again, he used to be very good at holding the ball up, turning and shooting ala the aberdeen game a few seasons ago, however, dont know how good he is at that now , after he has lost weight etc.

greenlex
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Test the Huns resolve and put a cheeky bid in for Boyd. :greengrin

Bad Martini
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Test the Huns resolve and put a cheeky bid in for Boyd. :greengrin

I'll give Petrie the £50 and 3495839045834905834908534908590345834905 pies required to clinch the deal myself.

We need a lazy, fat, disinterested forward who can't be arsed running but who can ultimately score goals enough to merit the £50 but I'm not sure I can raise the required number of pies, no matter how many times I ask Greggs for their leftovers :greengrin

Bad Martini
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
10 goals a season from a striker really isn't that good if we are being honest about it.

Maybes aye, maybes naw.

Im no big Nish fan but Fletcher didn't always set the heather on fire remember....:agree:

Exiled Hibby
11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Opinions eh? Only thing I would put money on is that as soon as we do punt Nishy, and I think that's a when, not an if, he will come back and haunt us.

As long as he's here I think he'll provide an option and get us a few goals, although he'll never be the Scottish Ronaldo

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Opinions eh? Only thing I would put money on is that as soon as we do punt Nishy, and I think that's a when, not an if, he will come back and haunt us.

As long as he's here I think he'll provide an option and get us a few goals, although he'll never be the Scottish Ronaldo

Halloween is only once a year.:wink: