PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon and Stevenson

Scooter
07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I thought they were excellent today

Monts
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Wotherspoon i thought was a standout...

Ive come to expect that performance from Stevenson, which i suppose is praise in itself...

JE89
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Wotherspoon especially. So unlucky with his shot (Nish probably would have been given it) but great save from the keeper.

zlatan
07-11-2009, 01:44 PM
This might seem extremely harsh but I'm starting to think the more I see Stevenson it becomes more obvious that he's a really limited footballer.

When he was picking the ball up at left back he was either humping it up the pitch or looking to give it straight to Ian Murray, not once did he take a man on or play an adventurous pass. Compare that to Wotherspoons performance, in the 2nd half especially, and it's night and day between the two already. I still like Stevenson, he does the simple things well but I can't see him getting a starting place in this team when at full strength anytime soon.

The greatest compliment to Wotherspoon was Driver getting switched to the right wing with 15 minutes left.

shamo9
07-11-2009, 01:46 PM
So is Stevenson second choice left back over Hanlon now? Surprised at that considering Hanlon did alright in the first couple of games before making way for Murray.

HFC 0-7
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
This might seem extremely harsh but I'm starting to think the more I see Stevenson it becomes more obvious that he's a really limited footballer.

When he was picking the ball up at left back he was either humping it up the pitch or looking to give it straight to Ian Murray, not once did he take a man on or play an adventurous pass. Compare that to Wotherspoons performance, in the 2nd half especially, and it's night and day between the two already. I still like Stevenson, he does the simple things well but I can't see him getting a starting place in this team when at full strength anytime soon.

The greatest compliment to Wotherspoon was Driver getting switched to the right wing with 15 minutes left.

Agree with part of this. Wotherspoon was looking to pass the ball out of defence, maybe even take it a wee run, but stevenson was humping it at every chance. He goes to ground quite early, wins the ball granted, but is usually at the expense of a throw in or corner. What I dont agree with is that he is limited. When he first came on the scene he was a good prospect, running with the ball, passing and defending. He just needs to get his confidence back, which wont happen at left back!

500miles
07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Stevenson needs to be more confident in his abilties when passing the ball. If anyone can instill that in him, it's Yogi.

Just Jimmy
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't think Lewis has developed at all since he broke into the team. He takes one touch too many and as mentioned looks to hoof it away. He played ok today as we spent most of the day defending but his attacking play is limited.

Hibs7
07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I honestly think Lewis is still mentally recovering from his injury, he is a no nonsense full back and I LIKE HIM. :notworthy:

Scorrie
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
How unlucky was Wotherspoon with that shot. a great save but didnt that happen to him when Boruc pulled off a similar save abnd push it onto the post earlier in the season?

bob12345
07-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I still think Lewis played his best football for Hibs in central midfield. He is never really a full-back, just solid and left sided.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I personally think Lewis is a decent player, but one who will never command a 1st team place at easter road. In fact it would not surprise me if he was to leave before his contract is up.

Hibs90
07-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Stevenson was average and Wotherspoon was really good.

Onceinawhile
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd rather have Wotherspoon playing further up the pitch (in place of Rankin today) with McCormack in at right back.

I agree with the above comments about Lewis, has the look of a journeyman about him at the moment. Needs a better haircut as well.:agree:

MSK
07-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Stevenson was average and Wotherspoon was really good.Stevenson was good ..Wotherspoon was excellent ..

Stevenson aint a full back though, so considering ..i think the lad done good ..

Wotherspiniesta
07-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Wotherspoon was okay in the first half, but really came onto a game in the 2nd, his touch and awareness is brilliant for such a young player.

Lewis was OK, but I think Hanlon offers more at LB.

Hibee_Lisa
07-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Thought Wotherspoon played really well today,like others have said especially in the second have but id much rather see Hanlon play left back than Stevenson obviously his main objective is to defend but I dont think he offers enough going forward.

GlesgaeHibby
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Wotherspoon needs to be played at Right Midfield. We didn't have enough width today, and nobody really capable of beating a man and putting in a good cross/taking a shot. Cracking young player.

MSK
07-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Wotherspoon needs to be played at Right Midfield. We didn't have enough width today, and nobody really capable of beating a man and putting in a good cross/taking a shot. Cracking young player.I was confident of the lad playing RFB but in the absence of Zemmama i would have preferred a bit of width in Galbraith as opposed to Benji...we didnt hit the flanks enough..thats where they are weaker imo ..

maximushibee
07-11-2009, 03:54 PM
yeh completley aggree thought stevenson did well and wotherspoin was absolutley brilliant. I got to confess i wasn't looking forward to seeing wotherspoon up against driver but thankfully i was proved wrong. think i owe wotherspoon an apology haha SORRY:thumbsup:

Dunbar Hibee
07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Thought they were both excellent, particulary Wotherspoon. Stevenson played very well too:agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
What some of you have to remember is, that Lewis is a couple of years ahead of young David in breaking into the team as a "teenage star" and he probably knows how hard it is to keep that momentum :agree:

Both done well today IMO :agree:

I would also say that it was the right decision to play Lewis before Hanlon, as Lewis has been in more matches that mean something :agree:

Experience, even in a youngster who hasnae played much, matters in these games IMO :agree:

sesoim
07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought they were excellent today

I wouldn't mention them in the same sentence. Wotherspoon looks like he could go on and be another multi-million pound player.

Stevenson doesn't.

Teo10
07-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I thought both played well today. People saying all Stevenson was doing was humping it up the park, where as with Spoony, Stokes was atleast looking for the ball and moving up the wing where as all Stevenson had to help was Rankin standing on the sideline not moving as Stevenson tried to bring the ball further up the park. I'm not Rankin-Bashing BUT IMO Stevenson had limited options of what to do as half the time Rankin wasn't even on the wing.....

Shrekko
07-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Lewis played as well as I've seen in a long time but he is indeed an extremely limited player. Well done to him though.

Wotherspoon is the next big thing- he really is. Wonderful footballer-like a more cultured version of Whittaker.

TornadoHibby
07-11-2009, 05:50 PM

It certainly is IMO! :confused:

The guy has hardly played this season - he should be given a decent run in the team to get back to where he was the season we won the CIS Cup! Then assess him again! :agree:

Si_17
07-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Both played very well indeed.

I must admit though, I was on my feet, I thought Wotherspoon's shot was in.

TornadoHibby
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Both played very well indeed.

I must admit though, I was on my feet, I thought Wotherspoon's shot was in.

I think everyone in the Roseburn (Stand that is :wink:!) thought it was in! :agree:

givescotlandfreedom
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Wotherspoon (again) had a very good game, he limited their left side which was their two best players and plays with a class about him I love too see. He's going to be a cracking player.

Westie1875
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Like others I'd like to see Wotherspoon playing further up the park, we need to sign a right back in Jan as this team IMO would be great;

-----------------------Stack----------------------

New RB-----------Hogg-------Bamba-------Murray

--------------Miller----------------McBride--------

Wotherspoon-----------Zemmama-----------Riordan

-------------------------Stokes-------------------

PeterboroHibee
08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Im not a fan of Stevenson, decent back up but dont think hes come close to reaching the potential he had. He does seem quite limited in ability as someone mentioned, we are used to Murray tearing up the wing from LB whereas Stevenson didnt seem like he wanted to take players on.

Wotherspoon is fantastic though, another quality player from our youth setup, think he would be better in midfield as he has so much creativity but until we have a solid RB think he is a great option there.

Wotherspiniesta
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Like others I'd like to see Wotherspoon playing further up the park, we need to sign a right back in Jan as this team IMO would be great;

:top marks

hibiedude
08-11-2009, 11:41 AM
The lad Wotherspoon is a class act and yesterday must have been one off his best games ever.

wee 162
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

I was at a different game to the one you seen I think. Stevenson more than once was drawing defenders, then laying it off and getting into space. We should have done loads better with the good cross he put into the back post to someone totally unmarked (Stokes maybe?) who didn't manage to put it back across goal. He was also the player who set up Riordans shot that Balogh saved at his near post.

He didn't have quite as good a game as Wotherspoon, but he was just behind him for my motm. Nothing flashy but thought he retained the ball pretty well and was very decent defensively. Their main threat is Driver and he done nothing against Wotherspoon. Then he switched wings and done nothing against Stevenson either. We should be crediting defenders who've done that.

totalfootball
08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Wotherspoon was brilliant. Yogi knew that wallace and Driver were there main threats and this is why he played Rankin in front of wothers to help him. Thought the tactics were clever! Regarding Stevenson I thought he was exellent and that is the kind of game were he is at his best,very tough tackler. Wotherspoon was my mom but special mention to Chris Hogg who was back to his best yesterday, him and murray were immense!

PISTOL1875
08-11-2009, 04:03 PM

You can probably say that Darren Barr will be our new right back in either January or at the start of next season.. I must admit , providing everybody is fit and available , that team could give any body a game.. Having Zemmama in the middle behind the forward is where you should be playing...

Speedway
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I agree with all the comments re: Wothers but I have no idea what we're claiming Lewis brought to the side on Saturday.

He was one of the main reasons the ball was getting hoofed, he had absolutely no ideas to offer whatsoever.

Somebody termed Rankin 'ineffective' and I'd agree with that and label Lewis similarly. Nothing against either of them personally, I just don't happen to think that they are very good footballers nor are they right for what Yogi has in mind.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree with all the comments re: Wothers but I have no idea what we're claiming Lewis brought to the side on Saturday.

He was one of the main reasons the ball was getting hoofed, he had absolutely no ideas to offer whatsoever.

Somebody termed Rankin 'ineffective' and I'd agree with that and label Lewis similarly. Nothing against either of them personally, I just don't happen to think that they are very good footballers nor are they right for what Yogi has in mind.

:agree: Yogi will want better, but he cant do it all at once. He's done wonders in such a short space of time, this is work in progress. He will make the next step in January, and again in the summer. The players he feels need replaced will be, and better ones will replace them. Keep the faith.:thumbsup:

Love the Green
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Stevenson was good ..Wotherspoon was excellent ..

Stevenson aint a full back though, so considering ..i think the lad done good ..

Yes he did well today considering it was his 1st start under Yogi.......needs to get his confidence back ..but all the dicks on here picking on him each week wont help........

"keep the faith":wink:

Speedway
09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes he did well today considering it was his 1st start under Yogi.......needs to get his confidence back ..but all the dicks on here picking on him each week wont help........

"keep the faith":wink:

He doesn't get on the pitch often enough to be picked on each week.

Wilson
09-11-2009, 02:05 PM
He doesn't get on the pitch often enough to be picked on each week.

Aye but fans on here get the 'picking on' in early and wait for the appearances to catch up :wink: