PDA

View Full Version : Form and the Window

Greentinted
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
An often well worn pre-derby phrase is that 'it's awfy hard tae predict, ken, cos the form book goes oot the windae'.

While I agree this is the case, I can't really see any reason for it. I'm not just referring to our game but also the many provincial club derbies that abound; be it Glasgow, Dundee, Manchester or Milan.

Most of us would agree that modern day footballers adopt a professional (as opposed to an emotional) attitude in terms of their trade, and many don't have a particular affiliation to the club they represent. So is it, perhaps the one occasion where the fans are in all actuality, more important to events going on on the park? There would appear no other rational explanation but one things for sure - while the league table doesn't lie, the form book has indeed been thrown out of the window!

SRHibs
05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I think it's just a myth tbh.
Someone posted some stats the other day showing that the in form tends to win the majority of the time, in our derby at least.

Removed
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Someone posted some stats the other day showing that the in form tends to win the majority of the time, in our derby at least.

But does the footballing team always beat the big physical team :dunno:

Greentinted
05-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Aye, I had a look at that but there are a significant amount of anomalies; the final derby of last season springs to mind as does the Foster cup game, the 'unbeatable' derby and indeed the game immediatly after our LC win. Its the same for the 2nd city's derby as well.Maybe its a self-prophesising myth but there does seem to be something in it.

James Connolly
06-11-2009, 06:40 AM
On paper, we have a far better side than them; unfortunately the game is not played on paper.

They'll be up for it in a massive way; we have to match that initially to stand any chance of a result.

I've been really confident for weeks about this game; but as the game gets nearer, the usual Derby nerves are kicking in.

Would take a draw right now.

MacBean
06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
We have the best 6 match form in the league right now (only because Celtic have lost one and Rangers Have been drawing more than a kid in a room full of Paper & crayons)

This has to continue this Saturday. I would take winning 1-0 against those wee jambo ********s right now if it meant getting beat from St Mirren on 23rd. Bragging rights and all that!