PDA

View Full Version : New Years Day 1973, Heart of Midlothian 0, Hibernian 7.

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Following on from Jack's post, on mature reflection, I think we do tend to go on a bit about certain derby humiliation in the early seventies. I think we should just let it go. Yes, it might be recorded on DVD for all time, but many younger Hibs fans won't remember it (It was actually one of my very first games and I recall very little except Jambos walking out) so lets just put it behind us.

I think we should all agree never to mention 7-0 again, or at least just wait until the topic comes in natural conversation.

EXAMPLES:

"Yes, the ongoing political situation in Darfur in dispiriting, but I find that remembering a certain derby result tends to cheer one up."

"Afghanistan is a nightmare, but it's not all gloom and doom. Think of Alan Gordon's seventh at Tynecastle."

"The tram system might be rather costly, but at least the route is close to Haymarket, which is a short walk from Tynecastle, which hosted a certain derby in 1973..."

"Neil Armstrong stood on the moon and looked at the planet Earth. Of course, if he had a telescope, he would have been able to examine this magnificent planet in detail, perhaps taking a leisured browse through West Edinburgh and in particular Tynecastle stadium, which once hosted...(you know the rest)

Anybody else find the seven-nil game inexplicably crop up in conversation?

Alicky Ranks
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Following on from Jack's post, on mature reflection, I think we do tend to go on a bit about certain derby humiliation in the early seventies. I think we should just let it go. Yes, it might be recorded on DVD for all time, but many younger Hibs fans won't remember it (It was actually one of my very first games and I recall very little except Jambos walking out) so lets just put it behind us.

I think we should all agree never to mention 7-0 again, or at least just wait until the topic comes in natural conversation.

EXAMPLES:

"Yes, the ongoing political situation in Darfur in dispiriting, but I find that remembering a certain derby result tends to cheer one up."

"Afghanistan is a nightmare, but it's not all gloom and doom. Think of Alan Gordon's seventh at Tynecastle."

"The tram system might be rather costly, but at least the route is close to Haymarket, which is a short walk from Tynecastle, which hosted a certain derby in 1973..."

"Neil Armstrong stood on the moon and looked at the planet Earth. Of course, if he had a telescope, he would have been able to examine this magnificent planet in detail, perhaps taking a leisured browse through West Edinburgh and in particular Tynecastle stadium, which once hosted...(you know the rest)

Indeed I do. Whenever anyone asks me the time, I seem unable to prevent myself replying 'Seven past Garland'. If this draws a quizical response I am then compelled to regale them with the full story of the greatest game in history.

Golden Bear
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
7 up has always been my choice of soft drink ---------- especially if there are species of the maroon persuasion in the company.

:greengrin

Hibee-Rocker
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Ha ha 7up i like it....

lapsedhibee
05-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I could understand why Blyton called her first series of Hibs books (about Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond) Famous Five stories.

I could never understand why the follow up volumes were called the Secret Seven. Why were the details of this game supposed to be secret? Was someone embarrassed by them? :dunno:

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Unemployment was indeed dreadful back in 1973. But some people managed to hold onto their jobs. Take football players for example. Did you know that at the beginning of 1973 their were 22 football players on a pitch in a wee place called Gorgie..... etc

Bayern Bru
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I could understand why Blyton called her first series of Hibs books (about Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond) Famous Five stories.

I could never understand why the follow up volumes were called the Secret Seven. Why were the details of this game supposed to be secret? Was someone embarrassed by them? :dunno:

400,000 maroon clad people were embarrassed by them yes. That's a lot of red (maroon?) faces.

Sprouleflyer
05-11-2009, 07:35 PM

EXAMPLES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM&feature=related

Oops :greengrin

EasterRoad4Ever
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Constantly being asked by friends, relatives and complete strangers

"do you remember where you were

when the UK entered the EEC ?"

or

" the day CBS sold the Yankees for $10m ?"

or

"the day Betty grew suspicious of Christine drinking alone in the Rovers. Mrs Regan told Stan she doesn't want him coming round anymore."

Getting away from the memories of that day has been a real problem :wink:

Ireallywasthere
05-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I was 19,it was New Year (lot of drink) and I cant remember much either, other than a vague sense of disappointment that it was only 7. After all it was 5 at half time and it seemed reasonable to expect the same in the second half.
They let me down badly...:notworthy:

iwasthere1972
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I was 19,it was New Year (lot of drink) and I cant remember much either, other than a vague sense of disappointment that it was only 7. After all it was 5 at half time and it seemed reasonable to expect the same in the second half.
They let me down badly...:notworthy:

:grr: :slipper: :slipper: What are you implying. :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
05-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Watching the highlights there was the first time I've noticed the similarity in Hibs' third in the 7-0 game and Hibs' third in the 6-2 game. Maybe if we can get Deek to score that goal on Sat we'll be dishing out another hiding?

Killiehibbie
05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I usually manage to get it into any conversation about Jim Jefferies and why he doesn't seem to smile very much. The other possible reason for him being such a dour **** is he was their manager one Sunday night just as he was possibly getting over it.

haagsehibby
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
My brother always marks his golf balls 7-0 as his identifier. This often results in merry banter if it's a Jambo playing partner who finds it while searching in the rough :greengrin

Speedway
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
In my exams very many years ago, the following testing question was put to me:

'Describe How Shylock's tactics in the Merchant of Venice, led to him owning his rivals and causing their downfall'

I felt an obligation to answer thusly:

Shylock was a man of means, he understood tactics, he craved ultimate victory. He had no thought for his opponents and made sure that any laspses in their focus were seized upon with the upmost severety.

I count seven unique cases in Shakespere's text, where he capitalised on individual errors and attacked with ferocity.

Bill Shakey by the way lived in Staffordshire which is not far from Liverpool, from where you can catch a ferry over to Ireland, known in Roman times, as Hibernia.

Speaking of Hibernia, this was the collective term for a community of shared jubilaters when a Shakespere/Shylock-esque approach was taken to a game of association football between the Hibernians and their physically stunted rival, Fart of a Midloanedlithuanian.

Stunningly, a similar adoption of Shylock's cavalier tactics resulted in a similar seven instances of victory for Hibernian and since this occurred in 1973, I think it fair to suggest that Shakespere has cemented his place in being the foremost observer in both ancient and contempary culture.

The answer to the question received the highest mark awardable by the French test examiner, Alain Gordane.