PDA

View Full Version : I really hate derbies

Jack
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I was at the very best one in living memory and a few crap ones too. I have hated every single one of them.

Yeah, even the 0 – 7 one. :devil:

At least 10 days of anticipation and expectation when you guts are going through the mangle (that a wringer for you younger folk :faf: ).

90 minutes or terror, horror, squidgy belly time most of which you just canny look. Mind you in the older days you had to look at the game, well it was impolite to look the guy behind you straight in the face as he peed down the back of your leg.

Bragging rites! For how long? A few weeks? W(ho)TF cares what they think / do / or say?

0 – 7 has lasted almost as long as the England winning the World Cup drawl that we think is so inane. When are they (we) going to stop? Its alright I know the answer :agree:

Or have I been missing something?

All the other games are just the same but 90% less on the nerves, which is a level I can cope with. :rolleyes:

--------
05-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I agree. Hate them. :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I love them:greengrin This is what footballs all about!

Mag7
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Can't stand them either. Can't remember last time I went to one and I don't even watch them on TV. Unbearable. I would be delighted if they didn't exist (due to Hearts doing down the tubes). That's not to say I don't enjoy finding out we've won but as Jack says, there'll be another one along before you know it, so the delight is only temporary. I can live with defeats to any other team but a derby defeat is so sickening that IMHO it outweighs any pleasure the fixture may yield.

Should we win on Saturday, however, I look forward to watching the highlights with my feet up and a smile on my face :wink:

Bob Box Fish
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Love the derbies. Lots of booze and 3.5k hibbies going mad behind the goals at tynie when we score. Bring it on.

Alicky Ranks
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Derbies are no bother for me since I moved abroad. I used to hate them, especially having to work alongside yams on a Monday if we'd got beat. Nowadays I never have to clap eyes on 'em which is altogether more agreeable. It's not always easy to see the games here, so I'm quite happy just to catch up with the highlights.

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I was at the very best one in living memory and a few crap ones too. I have hated every single one of them.

Yeah, even the 0 – 7 one. :devil:

At least 10 days of anticipation and expectation when you guts are going through the mangle (that a wringer for you younger folk :faf: ).

90 minutes or terror, horror, squidgy belly time most of which you just canny look. Mind you in the older days you had to look at the game, well it was impolite to look the guy behind you straight in the face as he peed down the back of your leg.

Bragging rites! For how long? A few weeks? W(ho)TF cares what they think / do / or say?

0 – 7 has lasted almost as long as the England winning the World Cup drawl that we think is so inane. When are they (we) going to stop? Its alright I know the answer :agree:

Or have I been missing something?

All the other games are just the same but 90% less on the nerves, which is a level I can cope with. :rolleyes:

Love them Jack, basically for all the reason you've mentioned.

Try to focus on the sciatica to divert your attention from negative derby thoughts!

Golden Bear
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I decided a number of years ago after the Mercer saga that I would never ever set foot in piggery park again.

I did however break my resolution for the CIS semi against St Johnstone but still the very thought of defeat at the hands of these maroon balloons is enough for me to continue my personal boycott.

As I find it impossible to listen to a game involving Hibs on the radio, I may well head into them thar hills for a few hours meditation and hopefully I'll be able to celebrate a famous victory on my return!

:greengrin

Rory89
05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Being a football fan on the day of big games is an odd feeling which no matter how hard you tried to explain to someone who isn't a fan, you wouldn't ever really be able to get the idea of what it's like across fully.

Like the OP (although not quite like him as he seems quite grumpy :wink:) I spend a long time before derbies looking forward to them. I usually can't sleep well at all the night before which is highly annoying, then as a result wake up feeling so tired. We go for a bevvy before the game which is great untill half an hour to kick off, when suddenly I'll feel ridiculously nervous, which carries on for the whole game no matter what the score (unless perhaps we're 2 or more goals up, which lets be honest isn't often).

Yet.........I still somehow love these days. The high of winning and the lows of losing are both so strong though, meaning I'm never too relaxed. The last two derbies were both absolutely great, and resulted in massive partying after. If the OP didn't enjoy them he needs a new hobby.

Kojock
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Best games of the season...................if you win:agree:

0-7 & 6-2.

Pat Stanton scoring in the 94th minute.

Gordon Hunter scoring THAT goal

Down to ten men and winning (twice)

Frank Sauzee running the length of the pitch

Benji running the length of the pitch ....hee hee

De la cruz scoring after 36 seconds

So many more great memories of Derby games.... BRING IT ON, WHOO HOO

Many bad moments as well but I have an excellent therapist and can block them from my memory for ever. :greengrin

jgl07
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I hate derbies also.

I attend the home matches because I have a season ticket but would think hard if I didn't. I think I went to one home derby during the years I have not had a season ticket or had a category B ticket. That one was the post CIS Cup letdown.

The whole thing is too tense. The football is usually rubbish and Hearts get away with far too many fortunate wins and draws.

I especially hate Tynecastle derbies. I think I have attended four in total over the past twenty years. The football is really bad because the pitch is too tight to allow much expansive play.

I attended one as a sort of neutral during the Wallace Mercer era soon after moving to Edinburgh. I think it ended up as 2-0. The tannoy was used a cheerleader for Hearts. The Hibs team were not even announced.

I went to a 1-1 draw during the 22 in a row run. Hibs were leading but Hearts grabbed a undeserved equalizer. The next one I attended was when Gordon Hunter scored that goal. That one was worth attending.

I went to a second match that season when Hearts won 2-0 (?).

After that I stayed away until the final match the season before last. That was a typical Hibs derby shambles with a goal conceded before I had even found my seat. A second followed and Hearts wasted time after that.

Their Greek (Takis) fullback was making his final appearance and he was subbed late on to take the applause. He did a lap of honour and the referee allowed it!

I have not been back since (apart from the East of Scotland Shield) and have no plans to do so again.

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I hate derbies also.

I attend the home matches because I have a season ticket but would think hard if I didn't. I think I went to one home derby during the years I have not had a season ticket or had a category B ticket. That one was the post CIS Cup letdown.

The whole thing is too tense. The football is usually rubbish and Hearts get away with far too many fortunate wins and draws.

I especially hate Tynecastle derbies. I think I have attended four in total over the past twenty years. The football is really bad because the pitch is too tight to allow much expansive play.

I attended one as a sort of neutral during the Wallace Mercer era soon after moving to Edinburgh. I think it ended up as 2-0. The tannoy was used a cheerleader for Hearts. The Hibs team were not even announced.

I went to a 1-1 draw during the 22 in a row run. Hibs were leading but Hearts grabbed a undeserved equalizer. The next one I attended was when Gordon Hunter scored that goal. That one was worth attending.

I went to a second match that season when Hearts won 2-0 (?).

After that I stayed away until the final match the season before last. That was a typical Hibs derby shambles with a goal conceded before I had even found my seat. A second followed and Hearts wasted time after that.

Their Greek (Takis) fullback was making his final appearance and he was subbed late on to take the applause. He did a lap of honour and the referee allowed it!

I have not been back since (apart from the East of Scotland Shield) and have no plans to do so again.

I was at that game!

Tynecastle is a circus.... an evil circus full of evil evil clowns! :grr:

Franck Stanton
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
You are entitled to your opinion mate, as for me LOVE the derby games, they are what football is all about. Bring it on. Haven't missed a derby either at Easter Road or the PBS for over 50 years.:thumbsup:

Risboro Hibby
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
The wonderful thing about Derbies is that even if the rest of the season is going the preverbial belly up, we can still get some pleasure from winning the derby.

Last season being a great example of that and what about the season the Yams were going for the league title, when they ''split the old firm'' and we gave them a going over in the last game between us at E R.

jgl07
05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I was at that game!

Tynecastle is a circus.... an evil circus full of evil evil clowns! :grr:

There's a circus in the town, in the town,

Where Romanov is a clown, is a clown,

There's Michael Stewart,

And Andy Driver too,

The biggest pair of ba*tards wearing football boots.

(Air: Tavern in the Town),

Hiber-nation
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I feel sick before derbies at the pbs. Its just horrible - from the walk down from the Roseburn to the "lets make some noise" nonsense at kick off.

I just keep thinking of 1-5, 1-4, 0-4, Zibi, Andy McNeil, etc etc. All the bad memories.

Couldnae miss it though.

davym7062
05-11-2009, 09:27 PM
there is nothing like winning at tynecastle. so for that reason i do not miss them:agree:

Hainan Hibs
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
My family refuse to speak to me on derby days. I have the Hibs tunes blaring, don't speak to anyone, drink away at a few pints before the game in silence, then unleash swearing, anger, and hatred that the world really shouldn't have to put up with for 90 minutes.

If Hibs win then everyone around me knows it's safe to speak to me, if we get beat, I'm given a two week calming doun period before anyone even attempts to speak to me :greengrin.

I sort of have a love hate thing with derbies.

Cropley10
05-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Last time at Tynie? CIS Semi:greengrin

Last Derby at Tynie - '99 3 - 1 Hibs!!:greengrin

I hate Derbies - home or away. I can't watch them on the telly either. Only went to one at ER last season - let me father-in-law go to the other.

I'll be out walking the dog on Saturday!:thumbsup:

calumhibee1
05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
i ****ing love them.:thumbsup:

number 27
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I hate them too. The pleasure of beating them doesnt seem to quite match the despair when they sneak their spawny wins.

I would be far happier seeing them slide down the leagues so we could happily rip the pi*h without needing to actually play them.

LiverpoolHibs
06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I've had semi-anxiety dreams about Saturday for the past four consecutive nights. That can't be normal...