PDA

View Full Version : Standing

Hermit Crab
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
More and more nowadays you see on tv away fans aswell as home fans standing at games, even aberdeen fans were standing on sat at ER. I was wondering if we will stand at the game on sat. Far better than sitting down i think plus its a better atmosphere. Its becoming more and more common now Man utd have done it for years. Any other opinions about this?

Cabbage East
04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I stand at every derby and pretty much every game. A massive part of going to the football for me.

Alex Trager
04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
So much bette standing but you always get the person behind you is the one who is sat and therefore cant see.... it makes for a much better atmosphere aswell....

Hermit Crab
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I stand at every derby and pretty much every game. A massive part of going to the football for me.

Theres always some person that shouts sit doon i cannae see.

hibbie02
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
So much bette standing but you always get the person behind you is the one who is sat and therefore cant see.... it makes for a much better atmosphere aswell....

Try the Hibs end next time? :wink:

Hibercelona
04-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Theres always some person that shouts sit doon i cannae see.

In which you shout back... "You have a pair of legs anaw ya lazy bas..." :greengrin

I say get rid of the seats and get the 30,000+ fans back to the games. :thumbsup:

Makaveli
04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
At each derby for the last couple of years everyone around me has stood, and that's been at pretty much every area of the stand. So much better IMO

Hermit Crab
04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
In which you shout back... "You have a pair of legs anaw ya lazy bas..." :greengrin

I say get rid of the seats and get the 30,000+ fans back to the games. :thumbsup:

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree:

GC
04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Did anything ever come of the petition that was doing the round here a few months back and a load of us signed?

Standing at the football makes the experience so much more better, gets people singing aswell.

Hibercelona
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
When you're sitting, you're watching the game.

When you're standing, you're apart of the game. :agree:

pepe
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Couple of seasons ago, I was standing at the back of the main stand at tannadice, steward came all the way from the front to tell me to sit. who's view exactly was I blocking?? On the other hand, was at Ibrox standing and the polis came over, i thought here we go again. But he just said if i wanted to stand to go next to the stairwell. Sitting at games is just not right somehow.:bitchy:

Hermit Crab
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Did anything ever come of the petition that was doing the round here a few months back and a load of us signed?

Standing at the football makes the experience so much more better, gets people singing aswell.

I never heard anything more about it. I singed it and it was meant to be getting presented to MP's to discuss at parliament. Probably thrown out though.

GC
04-11-2009, 10:05 PM
When you're sitting, you're watching the game.

When you're standing, you're apart of the game. :agree:

Hope not, I like to be there myself if I'm honest:wink:

HibeeSince82
04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I was down for the Aberdeen game and was the first time in awhile ive been at a game and been in the East and was standing the whole game. Was soo much better than sitting. Like someone else said you feel apart of the game when your standing.

GC
04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I never heard anything more about it. I singed it and it was meant to be getting presented to MP's to discuss at parliament. Probably thrown out though.

Yeah I hoped it would at least get some sort of discussion on the go.

If it can be made safe which is plain to see by looking at German football for starters then why not do it.

Would reverse a game that is dying on it's feet when it comes to fans feeling as much a part of it as the team they're supporting.

GC
04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I was down for the Aberdeen game and was the first time in awhile ive been at a game and been in the East and was standing the whole game. Was soo much better than sitting. Like someone else said you feel apart of the game when your standing.

I really shouldn't but what the hell:greengrin

HibeeSince82
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM

:greengrin

Maybe i should revise my earlier statement lol

It made the game feel more exciting when standing up than when your sitting down

Mellow Hibee
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Agree, but just to avoid embarrasment,

Please check that the lazy bas does indeed have a pair of legs. Very harsh otherwise:wink:

Hibercelona
04-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Agree, but just to avoid embarrasment,

Please check that the lazy bas does indeed have a pair of legs. Very harsh otherwise:wink:

If not... They can borrow Nades forklift. :wink:

Hibee_Craig7062
05-11-2009, 07:33 AM
More and more nowadays you see on tv away fans aswell as home fans standing at games, even aberdeen fans were standing on sat at ER. I was wondering if we will stand at the game on sat. Far better than sitting down i think plus its a better atmosphere. Its becoming more and more common now Man utd have done it for years. Any other opinions about this?

Ahhh you and your standing..... is there any ground in Scotland you havent had an argument with a steward about being told to sit down? :wink:

Seriously though standing is so much better - Especially coming into the winter months to avoid freezing to death.

Row 10 for me on Saturday so need the best part of 18 rows behind me to stand before i can. Whats the chances?? :rolleyes:

Steve-O
05-11-2009, 07:34 AM
We even stand over here for Wellington Phoenix in the A-League, in a specific section at least. Much better :agree:

GlesgaeHibby
05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Love standing at the games. Stood on saturday against Aberdeen and will do so against Hearts again.

What we all have to remember though, is that some people struggle to stand for 90 mins and that has to be respected. A standing section would solve that problem.

Keith_M
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Love standing at the games. Stood on saturday against Aberdeen and will do so against Hearts again.

What we all have to remember though, is that some people struggle to stand for 90 mins and that has to be respected. A standing section would solve that problem.

I'm glad somebody mentioned this. It's OK standing in the East at ER, as that's what people expect and there are other parts of the stadium for the older, infirm and kids (and for people who just like to sit down). However, situations like Tynecastle, where there's only one stand for the away fans and you just have to sit on the allocated seat, it does seem a bit unfair to force everybody to stand.

We really NEED designated seating areas, so this wouldn't then be a problem.

p.s. In case I've given the wrong idea, I'm all FOR standing areas at games, as I much preferred the East when it was a covered terrace from the mid eighties to early nineties.

Steve-O
05-11-2009, 08:09 AM
People managed to stand before all seater stadiums for 90 minutes?

These folk need to harden up :duck:

Keith_M
05-11-2009, 08:13 AM

In the season before 94/95 there were 7,000 seats at ER, so not everybody stood even then..............

I always felt sitting was a bit 'poofy' maself.

:duck:

:offski:

Green_one
05-11-2009, 08:13 AM
You better learn to live with sitting, as standing is not coming back

This debate keeps coming up but nothing ever happens as things have simply moved on. Who in the UK has officially brought back standing?

The 'standing' that often takes place is just a mess. Loads of people end up standing on seats. What is that all about? Everyone sits or everyone stands. Pretty simple. The modern terracing is also not designed for standing.

I miss standing but lots of people like sitting and you do actually get to see the whole game. I can recall loads of time standing, particularly at Hampden , when it was either difficult to see or downright dangerous. Sitting is certainly better for kids and the vertically challenged. People who stand simply ignore this. I have seen this in parts of the East stand, who are particularly bad at standing on seats.

Joe Baker II
05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
You better learn to live with sitting, as standing is not coming back

This debate keeps coming up but nothing ever happens as things have simply moved on. Who in the UK has officially brought back standing?

The 'standing' that often takes place is just a mess. Loads of people end up standing on seats. What is that all about? Everyone sits or everyone stands. Pretty simple. The modern terracing is also not designed for standing.

I miss standing but lots of people like sitting and you do actually get to see the whole game. I can recall loads of time standing, particularly at Hampden , when it was either difficult to see or downright dangerous. Sitting is certainly better for kids and the vertically challenged. People who stand simply ignore this. I have seen this in parts of the East stand, who are particularly bad at standing on seats.

A bit negative here, no reason why standing areas cannot come back if political will there. There are plenty of grounds that still have terracing all over the UK. No one is suggesting getting rid of all seated areas, just catering for all.

flash
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
It's pure selfishness to stand in a seated area isn't it?

Antifa Hibs
05-11-2009, 08:51 AM
It's pure selfishness to stand in a seated area isn't it?

Nonsense. It's pure selfishness forcing people to sit at a derby if you ask me.

I'm not having the 'people may not be able to stand for 90 minutes' thing. What did people do in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc..? There's an old lady in the East Terracing, there everyweek including the rowdier games versus Hearts and she stands everyweek, must be at least 70.

Shame the standing bug hasn't caught on up here. Every away support in England stands (almost).

basehibby
05-11-2009, 08:56 AM

There was always a CHOICE in those days - the old main stand and the seated enclosure (now the Famous Five) were the place to go if you had dodgy legs or a bad hangover.

I'd be all in favour of safe standing areas being re-introduced - they were outlawed as part of a ridiculous over-reaction to the Hillsborough disaster and the atmosphere in grounds around the country has gone downhill as a result (not to mention many clubs being put thrown into financial meltdown through having to splash out mega millions on new stands).
Every cloud has a silver lining though and I think with the high standards and safety checks now in place new standing areas could make our stadiums better than they ever were - bring it on!

MoantheCabbage
05-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Standing is an amazing part of the game and really wish it would be brought back although in saying that I cannot for the life of me understand why people in the terracing go to purposly stand on their seat, what the F is that all about surely standing on the concrete is sufficient enough?

I am pretty sure the legislation has been passed to allow standing at grounds in the UK although after going to the listening forums in regards to the new east stand the board were adamant that no standing would be allowed at ER as they see the club as a family club and would not even contemplate standing even if it were legal.

Antifa Hibs
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Standing is an amazing part of the game and really wish it would be brought back although in saying that I cannot for the life of me understand why people in the terracing go to purposly stand on their seat, what the F is that all about surely standing on the concrete is sufficient enough?

I am pretty sure the legislation has been passed to allow standing at grounds in the UK although after going to the listening forums in regards to the new east stand the board were adamant that no standing would be allowed at ER as they see the club as a family club and would not even contemplate standing even if it were legal.

It hasn't. God only knows why.....

Cabbage East
05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
The arguement that not everyone can stand for 90 minutes isn't a good one. Out of the 3500 that'll be at Tynie on Sat there's probably only 1% that couldn't physically stand for an hour and a half.

I'll be standing.

Antifa Hibs
05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm in the lower tier and for as far as I can remember, the lower has always stood.

So for the geeks in the upper who are sat and want to stand, join us cool cats in the lower :wink:

Kojock
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm in the lower tier and for as far as I can remember, the lower has always stood.

So for the geeks in the upper who are sat and want to stand, join us cool cats in the lower :wink:

I dont mind standing at the game. However being over 6' means if I stand up the person behind me (especially if it is a child) is unable to see. So basically if you are standing in front of me, forcing me to stand, meaning the person behind me cannot see I will tell you to sit f*%Ģing down. :grr:

Show some consideration for your fellow supporters and stop being so selfish.

PiemanP
05-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Nonsense. It's pure selfishness forcing people to sit at a derby if you ask me.

I'm not having the 'people may not be able to stand for 90 minutes' thing. What did people do in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc..? There's an old lady in the East Terracing, there everyweek including the rowdier games versus Hearts and she stands everyweek, must be at least 70.

Shame the standing bug hasn't caught on up here. Every away support in England stands (almost).

:agree:

GlesgaeHibby
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
The arguement that not everyone can stand for 90 minutes isn't a good one. Out of the 3500 that'll be at Tynie on Sat there's probably only 1% that couldn't physically stand for an hour and a half.

I'll be standing.

It is a reasonable one. Kids and elderly/infirm might find it difficult to stand for that period of time, and they have the right to have a seat. Some people also struggle to see the action standing up, especially if they are behind a tall guy like me.

I'm all for standing, but we need designated areas.

bobbyhibs1983
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I dont mind standing at the game. However being over 6' means if I stand up the person behind me (especially if it is a child) is unable to see. So basically if you are standing in front of me, forcing me to stand, meaning the person behind me cannot see I will tell you to sit f*%Ģing down. :grr:

:top marks

If people would like to stand at games then fair enough, you have paid for your ticket but i think you said the word consideration, witch i feel it is.

If somone stands in front of someone and the person behind asks nicely if you could sit down because there kid or mom/dad cant see then maybe swapping seats could work?

the thing i would say is the people in the hibs end are hibs fans after all and we all should look out for one another, and consider eachs other situations.

On the point of standing areas, i think there good ideas

Cabbage East
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

That could equally apply to people wanting to sit. Get off your erse and stand and stop being so selfish.

This is Hibs Hearts ffs not Swan Lake.

Kojock
05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
That could equally apply to people wanting to sit. Get off your erse and stand and stop being so selfish.

This is Hibs Hearts ffs not Swan Lake.

No problem mate, I only hope I am standing infront of you. :wink:

Steve20
05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't mind standing. However if the person behind me is smaller or wanting to sit, then I will be sitting down. The person in front will be told to as well, if need be.

Ritchie
05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
when i go to tynie i always get a ticket for right down the front cause everyone stands there!

Row 3 on saturday!! :thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
05-11-2009, 12:18 PM

give the man some 'space' :greengrin

Sean1875
05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Row 8, ill be up :greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm in a wheelchair and I will be at Tynecastle on Saturday. The wheelchair section is in the middle of the stand and I fully expect to be able to see the full game, completely unrestricted.

I cannot stand at all, not even for a few seconds, and so if the people in front of me decide to stand up then I will not be able to see a thing.

If that happens, I will politely ask the people/person to sit down and if that falls on deaf ears, I will ask a steward or a police officer to get them to sit down.

Sorry if that seems selfish...

jdships
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Ever stop to think there are lot of people who cannot stand for 90 minutes.
You saying we should stay away ?

:confused:

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Ever stop to think there are lot of people who cannot stand for 90 minutes.
You saying we should stay away ?

:confused:

They had no problems standing back then. :confused:

Mon Dieu4
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Perhaps because they were 20 or 30 years younger then :wink:

My Grandad would have stood years ago but now he is in his 80s he cant

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm in a wheelchair and I will be at Tynecastle on Saturday. The wheelchair section is in the middle of the stand and I fully expect to be able to see the full game, completely unrestricted.

I cannot stand at all, not even for a few seconds, and so if the people in front of me decide to stand up then I will not be able to see a thing.

If that happens, I will politely ask the people/person to sit down and if that falls on deaf ears, I will ask a steward or a police officer to get them to sit down.

Sorry if that seems selfish...

Surely its up to the clubs to position the wheelchair sections in a way that will allow fans to stand?

But I can completely sympathize with what you are saying.

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Perhaps because they were 20 or 30 years younger then :wink:

My Grandad would have stood years ago but now he is in his 80s he cant

Are you saying that 70 to 80 year olds never existed back then? :wink:

Mon Dieu4
05-11-2009, 02:24 PM

You could move about a bit so wasnt as bad, now you are basically trapped in a 20 inch square between chairs, standing for 90 mins inbetween chairs & other people hurts my legs so god knows what it does for older people

Hibercelona
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
You could move about a bit so wasnt as bad, now you are basically trapped in a 20 inch square between chairs, standing for 90 mins inbetween chairs & other people hurts my legs so god knows what it does for older people

Which brings me back to my first point. :cool2:

Remove the seats. :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM

In a perfect world there would be sections for both people, but there isnt. If I can stand for the whole game then its fine by me, but if anyone round about me cannot see etc then I will happily sit so everyone can enjoy the game. :agree:

Leith Green
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Every big away game I keep standing as long as possible in the hope that we will all stand as one, I really thought Ibrox could be the one , however I was dissapointed again..

Row 3 at Tynecastle and middle section, there is no danger ahm sitting this one out!

Sir David Gray
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Surely its up to the clubs to position the wheelchair sections in a way that will allow fans to stand?

But I can completely sympathize with what you are saying.

They probably should, although the clubs will probably say that they don't need to take this into consideration as nobody should be standing anyway except, perhaps, when a goal is scored.

However at East End Park and Ibrox, the wheelchair section is in the middle of the stand and the people in front are far enough down so that if they do happen to stand up, they wouldn't stop me from seeing the game.

That isn't the case at Tynecastle.

I don't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the game but by the same token, I believe that I also have the right to enjoy the game and it's not my fault that Hearts have laid out the stand the way that they have done.

vein
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

The difference between the games now and the games 20-30 years ago is that now we get one stand behind the goals where all away fans are together. 20-30 years ago we had the terrace at the Gorgie Road end for folk who wanted to stand and part of the main stand where those that wanted to sit would go.