PDA

View Full Version : Question Ian Murray

Hakim Sar
04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I honestly prefer him to David Murphy. we all know murray gets stuck in and offers a dependable no nonsense approach - but it is pleasing to see him taking the ball to feet and supporting riordan with a bit of confidence!

A better defender and a more valuable team player than murph was IMO and I hope that wotherspoon learns a lot from murrays professionalism and engine.

Mon Dieu4
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I honestly prefer him to David Murphy. we all know murray gets stuck in and offers a dependable no nonsense approach - but it is pleasing to see him taking the ball to feet and supporting riordan with a bit of confidence!

A better defender and a more valuable team player than murph was IMO and I hope that wotherspoon learns a lot from murrays professionalism and engine.

Blasphemy :faf:

Hank Schrader
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
David Murphy was purely a left back. Murray is a defensive utility man who can play a number of positions. If we are comparing the two players as purely left backs then David Murphy is head and shoulders above Murray in that position and is arguably the best left back Hibs have had since the days of Eric Schaedler. Murphy never shirked a tackle either.

That's no slight on Iain Murray however, who has been fantastic on his return to the club.

random sub
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Both excellent- difficult to separate in terms of their contribution to the team. So would wish them both to playing.

Phil MaGlass
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I loved watching both of them but for commitment I will go for Murray, top player and glad he came back to Hibs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Nay, nay and thrice nay. :bitchy: Murphy is a contender for alltime great Hibs X1 in that jersey. Murray is currently playing out of his natural position at the back. Mind you, if he continues to perform then POTY beckons.:agree::agree:

Hakim Sar
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
It's experienced pro vs young natural talent

Both players remarkably consistent... just feel murray offers more dig and is the 'mr steady experienced pro' hibs have maybe had a dearth of since mcleish was the guv'nor

nonshinyfinish
04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
It's experienced pro vs young natural talent

Both players remarkably consistent... just feel murray offers more dig and is the 'mr steady experienced pro' hibs have maybe had a dearth of since mcleish was the guv'nor

When did Murphy ever look inexperienced?

Murray is great, but if we are considering the left back position then Murphy is a class apart.

monktonharp
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
When did Murphy ever look inexperienced?

Murray is great, but if we are considering the left back position then Murphy is a class apart.I think that gap is closing rapidly,as this season goes,it looks to me that IM is turning out to be a "great" in that position.he also has a fantastic engine,,drive and general knowhow when it gets near the end of a game,so for me it's Nid,and hopefully the captain's armband going his way.

Hibercelona
04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Well Murphy is obviously going to be a better player at left back.... seeing as Murray has never actually played in that position. :rolleyes:

Just like Murray is far better in his natural position than Murphy would be.

Both very fantastic players... and both great in their natural positions... I don't think you could really choose between them.

nonshinyfinish
04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Well Murphy is obviously going to be a better player at left back.... seeing as Murray has never actually played in that position. :rolleyes:

:Ummm:

500miles
04-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Murphy is miles ahead of Murray. In fact, Murph was a better left midfielder and could probably play CM and CH better than Murray, but we'll never know for the latter two positions. His touch, range of passing, ability to beat his man were all on a different level from Murray, and his tackling, aerial ability and marking are just as good. Perhaps not as quick, but he was never as slow as he was made out to be IMO.

However, David Murphy is one of the finest football players I have ever seen in the Green and White.

Monts
04-11-2009, 09:03 PM
If David murphy was still at Easter road he would be playing left back every week. There's no doubt about that in my mind.

millarco
04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Murphy is miles ahead of Murray. In fact, Murph was a better left midfielder and could probably play CM and CH better than Murray, but we'll never know for the latter two positions. His touch, range of passing, ability to beat his man were all on a different level from Murray, and his tackling, aerial ability and marking are just as good. Perhaps not as quick, but he was never as slow as he was made out to be IMO.

However, David Murphy is one of the finest football players I have ever seen in the Green and White.

:agree:

Perspective
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Usually, over time, supporters remember players to be better than they were. I can't believe The Murphy is being compared to Ian Murray.

Murphy was better in every aspect of his play and that's no slight on Murray, who is obviously a solid pro.

What I'd give to have Murphy and Whittaker in this current team of ours.

hibsfan7
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE STILL HAD DAVID MURPHY WHO I THINK IS THE BEST LEFT BACK I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A HIBS JERSEY
WE COULD PLKAY HOGG AT RIGHT BACK AND BRING IN MURRAY TO CENTRE HALF ALONG SIDE BAMBA

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notwo rthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

IWasThere2016
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Murphy made my best XI in the EEN news thing. And as much as I rate IM, David Murphy was special IMHO.

David@EasterRoad
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Murray and Murphy are very different players but I think they are on a similar level in terms of contribution to the team. Murphy obviously has a bit more skill and a great touch but Murray has the graft and defensive qualities that are just as important if you want to win football matches.

I wish we had both of them!

IWasThere2016
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Usually, over time, supporters remember players to be better than they were. I can't believe The Murphy is being compared to Ian Murray.

Murphy was better in every aspect of his play and that's no slight on Murray, who is obviously a solid pro.

:agree:

matty_f
04-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Murphy and Whittaker added into this side would have the OF shi**ing themselves.:agree:

Worcester Hibby
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
David Murphy was purely a left back. Murray is a defensive utility man who can play a number of positions. If we are comparing the two players as purely left backs then David Murphy is head and shoulders above Murray in that position and is arguably the best left back Hibs have had since the days of Eric Schaedler. Murphy never shirked a tackle either.

That's no slight on Iain Murray however, who has been fantastic on his return to the club.

Since Ulrik Laursen maybe :tin hat: