PDA

View Full Version : Hibs fans.

Expecting Rain
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Need to show a bit more patience when we`re trying to break teams down, on occasions McBride and Miller had just recieved the ball and fans were screaming at them to move it forward as quickly as possible.

lEXO
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Need to show a bit more patience when we`re trying to break teams down, on occasions McBride and Miller had just recieved the ball and fans were screaming at them to move it forward as quickly as possible.
Agree in part.But there were times when we needed to get at them quicker yesterday.FWIW i dont think it was Mcbride or Miller, more when it went further forward that players were looking to knock it back.We got there though,and thought Byrne,s cross for Nish was class,as was the header.Big Nishy gets a hard time, but he held the ball up well,brought other players into the game and got the important first goal.Well done Nishy and the Cabbage.
:thumbsup:

Expecting Rain
01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Agree in part.But there were times when we needed to get at them quicker yesterday.FWIW i dont think it was Mcbride or Miller, more when it went further forward that players were looking to knock it back.We got there though,and thought Byrne,s cross for Nish was class,as was the header.Big Nishy gets a hard time, but he held the ball up well,brought other players into the game and got the important first goal.Well done Nishy and the Cabbage.
:thumbsup:

Even at 0-0 there was still the danger that a breakaway could cause us to lose a goal and that would have been embarrasing against 9 men, Nish held the ball up better than Benji and Stokes who was having a bad day with his first touch, i still think he`s a player that is better to bring on than to start with, the Byrne did well being out of position and it says a lot that he and Wotherspoon playing on the same side of the park have emerged from under 19 football to the SPL.:agree:

Part/Time Supporter
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
There was two problems when the game was 11 v 9:

1. After Yogi brought on Nish for Wotherspoon, Aberdeen actually got a small grip on midfield (!) because they had an extra player there (4-3-1 v 3-2-5). This was only solved by bringing Rankin on for Benji.

2. The bigger problem was that Riordan and particularly Byrne did not hold the width of the pitch. This meant that the forwards ended up getting in each other's way, negating the advantage. Yogi had to yell the instruction to Byrne (on the far side) to hold the right wing, and of course the goal eventually came from that.

greenlex
01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

1. After Yogi brought on Nish for Wotherspoon, Aberdeen actually got a small grip on midfield (!) because they had an extra player there (4-3-1 v 3-2-5). This was only solved by bringing Rankin on for Benji.

2. The bigger problem was that Riordan and particularly Byrne did not hold the width of the pitch. This meant that the forwards ended up getting in each other's way, negating the advantage. Yogi had to yell the instruction to Byrne (on the far side) to hold the right wing, and of course the goal eventually came from that.
It was the right tactic but I was surprised that Wotherspoon was not deployed there instead of being substituted.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Good post.

The situation was the same at the St Mirren game where in the end patience paid off.

I think in both games Hibs showed the kind of maturity and thoughtfull approach needed to come out on top in these situations.

Mind you this aint a new situation I remember the UEFA cup tie v F.C. Liage ( sorry if spelt it wrong ) where we were doing OK until the crowd started shouting at every Hibs player who didn't play a forward pass even when there was nobody to pass to.

I remember thinking at the time that playing the ball across the back until an opening came along hadn't done Liverpool any harm in Europe.

:cool2:

truehibernian
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
This season at ER when we attack teams there has been a real tendency to go down the left flank with Murray, Riordan and Galbraith. Yesterday I think the impatience and crowd unrest was because it was so glaringly obvious that there was acres of space down the right flank and the ball seemed to take an age to get to the player out on that wing. At times Hogg was the player given the task of being the "winger", left to cross from the right which I have to say is like giving Nade a ryvita.......a bit pointless. Would have been ideal to stretch both Aberdeen full backs with some wingplay and allow more space for Stokes, Nish and Benji to get into the box. Fair play though to the players for sticking to their guns and never giving up. Cracking team spirit at ER these days :agree:

heretoday
01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
McBride puts me in mind of Stanton at times. Don't know why exactly - something in the way he moves forward.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-11-2009, 04:08 PM
McBride puts me in mind of Stanton at times. Don't know why exactly - something in the way he moves forward.

Good to see George Harrison hasn't been forgotten................. :wink:

rightwinger
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
McBride and Miller have been key for us this season and McBride especially has an unenviable role really. Two great acquisitions.

Hughes has Rankin and Cregg who can come in to give them support. He shouldn't be shy of using that option IMO as I don't think our 4-2-4 formation will necessarily work every game - I think we saw that 11 v 11 yesterday to be honest.

fife hfc
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM

:top marks exactly what i was saying at the game yesterday and on another thread said we could have done with galbraith to give us width and kept Wotherspoon on to provide width on the right. Imho we did have too many forwards but we got there in the end.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2009, 05:00 PM
I did not think the crowd were that restless yesterday, in fact i thought the opposite. I thought the crowd got behind the team well.:thumbsup:

Jack
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Good to see George Harrison hasn't been forgotten................. :wink:

Great player!

Sas_The_Hibby
01-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby
Good to see George Harrison hasn't been forgotten.................

Great player!

Miles better than Neil Lennon, that's for sure! :wink: