PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat

Sir David Gray
28-10-2009, 12:36 AM
I have heard on many occasions, people coming out with the old "We get a good result against Rangers or Celtic and then we go out the next again week and lose" line.

After our draw at Ibrox and ahead of our game against Aberdeen this weekend, I have done some research today about how we have done in matches immediately after a good result against Rangers and Celtic (by "good result", I mean either a draw or a win). These stats go back to our first ever season in the SPL, which was 1999/00 and includes league and cup games.

Here are the stats;

WON-12
DRAWN-6
LOST-11

Since our game is at Easter Road this weekend, I've also calculated our results at home following a good result against the OF.

Here are the stats on that;

WON-9
DRAWN-3
LOST-4

So, overall, we are undefeated in more than 60% of our matches following a good result against the Old Firm and we have actually won more matches than we've lost. When it comes to matches at Easter Road, we have won nine out of our sixteen matches that have followed either a draw or a win against Rangers or Celtic and are undefeated in 75% our matches.

I realise that this may be quite boring to a lot of people but I just thought that there might be a few people who may be interested in this kind of stat.

Baw187
28-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Interesting that we've had almost 30 positive results against the OF. Can't be too many teams close to that.

As for the game after, I'm sure the chat about going out and making sure we don't slip up the following game is just that - chat. It's so the players remain grounded and go out the next week and do the business.

Having said that, and in spite of your good work with the stats, we have had some howlers in those defeats IIRC!

Woody1985
28-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Everyone expects a win in the following game if we've got a draw/win there and therefore a draw against someone else is a disappointment.

Bayern Bru
28-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Funny old game, innit.

ahibby
28-10-2009, 01:04 PM
So there is a 0.56 probability that we will win on Sat and a 0.25 probability that we will lose. I'm off to the bookies!:fibber::offski:

Sir David Gray
29-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Interesting that we've had almost 30 positive results against the OF. Can't be too many teams close to that.

As for the game after, I'm sure the chat about going out and making sure we don't slip up the following game is just that - chat. It's so the players remain grounded and go out the next week and do the business.

Having said that, and in spite of your good work with the stats, we have had some howlers in those defeats IIRC!

Last Saturday's draw at Ibrox was actually our 31st draw or win against the OF since 1999/00. It's just that one of the thirty one was a 2-1 win against Celtic on the final day of the season (the game where Sproule and Scott Brown scored) so there was no match the next again week and the other one was obviously last week and we haven't played our next match yet.

Here is our win/draw/loss record against the OF in full;

HIBS

W-12
D-19
L-54

In terms of how our 31 positive results against the OF compares with the other teams in the SPL, here are the stats;

ABERDEEN

W-10
D-14
L-60

DUNDEE UTD

W-7
D-19
L-51

FALKIRK

W-2
D-3
L-26

HAMILTON

W-0
D-0
L-10

HEARTS

W-13
D-13
L-63

KILMARNOCK

W-3
D-8
L-66

MOTHERWELL

W-7
D-15
L-52

ST JOHNSTONE

W-2
D-4
L-23

ST MIRREN

W-2
D-2
L-25

So there is a 0.56 probability that we will win on Sat and a 0.25 probability that we will lose. I'm off to the bookies!:fibber::offski:

I should have added a disclaimer to the bottom of my last post stating that I cannot be held responsible for any financial loss as a result of viewing the statistics on this thread.

However, should you get a wee win from the bookies this weekend, by all means give me the credit. :greengrin