PDA

View Full Version : Is football only expensive when we're getting beat?

Antifa Hibs
27-10-2009, 08:01 PM
3000 odd (I think) to Hamilton. Sold out Ibrox for the first time in a season or two, sold out Tynie in a season or three.

When poor away crowds get questioned, the usual answer is 'am skint' 'i've a mortgage yadda yadda' 'its a recession' 'its too dear' etc etc.

Ibrox was 50p dearer than last season, Hertz £1 dearer, Hamilton average SPL prices, these games were apparently too expensive last season, yet this season we are packing ends out, so that begs the question, is SPL fitba only dear if yer teams pesh and is it really the prices that are making crowds dip, or the standard of football? Or both?

HibbyAndy
27-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Football is still outragesouly dear..but if your teams winning then ofcourse your gonna stump up to watch them as opposed to being shight and not going

Mikey_1875
27-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I think so. You are more likely to question the value of the ticket when ytour team isn't doing well. If the teams playing well then you think you will be getting your "monies worth" and go along. This of course won't apply towards the 800 or so hardcore fans. It's maybe not the case that some people can't afford it it's just that they aren't prepared to give up what is required to go to the game, e.g a bevvy up with your mates.

hibs0666
27-10-2009, 09:20 PM
had a season ticket for knockhill for years, between 120 - 150 quid.
got british superbike weekend, british touring car weekend, formula1 superstocks, ferrari cup. sidecar racing, legends racing, mini's.porche. Kirkcaldy and district motorcycle racing, cowdenbeath stock car racing, scottish motor show and various track days.

Under 18's got in with the season ticket holder too.

usually all day events.
Not for everyone but it's just one of the things football is competing against.

Think I'd rather do a stretch. :wink:

Keith_M
27-10-2009, 09:32 PM
It's still too expensive.

Yes, people will complain more when the team are playing badly, but that's because it's even less value for money.

The fact that Hibs sold 1200 tickets for Ibrox or 3,500 tickets for Tynie, is because the team has been playing better than they have done for a number of years. It's still not exactly massive numbers (though it is encouraging), considering the opposition and the fact Hibs are playing so well.

Keep in mind it's less than two weeks since we struggled to have a home support of over 10,000.

davym7062
27-10-2009, 09:51 PM
saved a fortune by getting pumped out the cup:wink:

TheMentalHibees
27-10-2009, 09:58 PM
It's easier to justify paying a higher price to yourself if the team is playing well, whereas if it's eye-bleeding football, it's a little harder.

monktonharp
27-10-2009, 10:05 PM
saved a fortune by getting pumped out the cup:wink:you no thinking o' getting Stokes's goal on yer avatar:wink:?

davym7062
27-10-2009, 10:07 PM
you no thinking o' getting Stokes's goal on yer avatar:wink:?

murphys goal was the winner. stokesy only a draw:greengrin

its not so much the goal its the look on katies face

Ringothedog
27-10-2009, 10:08 PM
It's easier to justify paying a higher price to yourself if the team is playing well, whereas if it's eye-bleeding football, it's a little harder.

so how the hell are the yams still getting crowds of 14000 ? those boring bassas shuld be getting negative figures(a bit like their bank balance):agree:

davym7062
27-10-2009, 10:11 PM
so how the hell are the yams still getting crowds of 14000 ? those boring bassas shuld be getting negative figures(a bit like their bank balance):agree:

coz the season tks cost 5 bob for a bairn

MacBean
27-10-2009, 10:12 PM
i was down in brighton at the weekend.
To see Crawley at the weekend at home was £18.00 (conference)
to see Brighton away was £26.00 (league one)
to see Chelsea at home was £39.00 minimum (prem obviously)

Football up here is much cheaper than down there, however still ridiculously expensive

Ringothedog
27-10-2009, 10:15 PM
coz the season tks cost 5 bob for a bairn

child cruelty, those kids will never recover from this abuse. The parents should be locked up...whoops forgot they would be on day release from prison anyway.

lEXO
28-10-2009, 04:28 PM
It,s a bit easier to justify spending the cash when you have more chance of seeing a good team.Even then i,m struggling to afford it,and i know mates who havent been to ER in a while because the cant afford it, never mind an away game.I buy my ST and that,s about it for me.
Another quick point,remember our away support the season we got relegated?It was awesome.Cant remember how the costs were, but we really backed the team when they needed us.We always have, and always will. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 04:38 PM
When we are sheite, i cant be bothered going. When we are playing well, the effort going to the game seems less. Money is not the primary factor in me attending games.

God Petrie
28-10-2009, 04:43 PM
A loyalty system needs to be introduced to ensure the proper fans are guaranteed tickets when the part-timers decide to show up to cup games, tynie etc because we are doing well.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 04:46 PM
A loyalty system needs to be introduced to ensure the proper fans are guaranteed tickets when the part-timers decide to show up to cup games, tynie etc because we are doing well.

Its there now, its called a season ticket.:confused:

Edinburgh Green
28-10-2009, 05:10 PM

:faf: thats what I was thinking.

God Petrie
28-10-2009, 06:28 PM

I was referring to away games. When TM was manager, there was often too much demand among season ticket holders for away tickets.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I was referring to away games. When TM was manager, there was often too much demand among season ticket holders for away tickets.

When? As far as i know, there has been a public sale for every all ticket match involving Hibs that i can remember.:confused:

MSK
28-10-2009, 06:34 PM
3000 odd (I think) to Hamilton. Sold out Ibrox for the first time in a season or two, sold out Tynie in a season or three.

When poor away crowds get questioned, the usual answer is 'am skint' 'i've a mortgage yadda yadda' 'its a recession' 'its too dear' etc etc.

Ibrox was 50p dearer than last season, Hertz £1 dearer, Hamilton average SPL prices, these games were apparently too expensive last season, yet this season we are packing ends out, so that begs the question, is SPL fitba only dear if yer teams pesh and is it really the prices that are making crowds dip, or the standard of football? Or both?I dont have a great deal of money to chuck around however, i would rather spend my money on watching a good quality game of football than pay to watch that pish we had to suffer last season ..that drove me to the pub where it was a damn site more entertaining ...& warmer ..

This season however ...pub taking a back seat ..

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I dont have a great deal of money to chuck around however, i would rather spend my money on watching a good quality game of football than pay to watch that pish we had to suffer last season ..that drove me to the pub where it was a damn site more entertaining ...& warmer ..

This season however ...pub taking a back seat ..

Me too, been to most games this season, and will continue to go. Anyone who has a pop at those who dont go, are just having a thinly veiled go, but trying to boost their uber fan ego at the same time. Money, travel, time, and entertainment all come into the frame, when people decide when to follow any football team. There will be those who will go no matter what, and it always makes me smile when they have a go at those who dont, yet those very same folk can be seen on other threads, saying how good it was when we had 40k at a cup final. :faf:

They cant seem to see the irony in that. Nobody should have a go at anyone who follows their side week in week out, year in year out, but then again, those same people need to understand why others dont.

Gatecrasher
28-10-2009, 06:48 PM
nope I'll always attend the odd away game, but I still saw the price for the derby and thought it was too much and I'm not even tempted on a ticket

I want to go but I'm not gonna be ripped off over it.

matty_f
28-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Me too, been to most games this season, and will continue to go. Anyone who has a pop at those who dont go, are just having a thinly veiled go, but trying to boost their uber fan ego at the same time. Money, travel, time, and entertainment all come into the frame, when people decide when to follow any football team. There will be those who will go no matter what, and it always makes me smile when they have a go at those who dont, yet those very same folk can be seen on other threads, saying how good it was when we had 40k at a cup final. :faf:

They cant seem to see the irony in that. Nobody should have a go at anyone who follows their side week in week out, year in year out, but then again, those same people need to understand why others dont.

:top marks

Don Giovanni
28-10-2009, 07:23 PM
When we are sheite, i cant be bothered going. When we are playing well, the effort going to the game seems less. Money is not the primary factor in me attending games.

I reckon those that are prepared to follow the team through thick and thin have every right to express their thoughts. Particularly if it is in response to some of the bile posted by those that cannae be ersed attending.
If the club relied on the support of fairweather fans alone it would have died a death many years ago. Wanting more people to attend the games and support the team is no bad thing IMO.

FWIW I'm glad you and others are enjoying your football and are back supporting the team. Long may that continue...

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I reckon those that are prepared to follow the team through thick and thin have every right to express their thoughts. Particularly if it is in response to some of the bile posted by those that cannae be ersed attending.
If the club relied on the support of fairweather fans alone it would have died a death many years ago. Wanting more people to attend the games and support the team is no bad thing IMO.

FWIW I'm glad you and others are enjoying your football and are back supporting the team. Long may that continue...

I canny be arsed attending as much when we are pish, i am not ashamed to admit it. I cant be bothered with the 13 hour round journey. And if thats bile and makes me a fairweather fan, then so be it. Nobody is saying its wrong to want more people through the gate, its how you say it though, that gets right up my hooter.

Don Giovanni
28-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I canny be arsed attending as much when we are pish, i am not ashamed to admit it. I cant be bothered with the 13 hour round journey. And if thats bile and makes me a fairweather fan, then so be it. Nobody is saying its wrong to want more people through the gate, its how you say it though, that gets right up my hooter.

Fair play. A lot wouldn't be as honest about it.
I'll try to be more careful of my wording in the future. Pair, sensitive wee soul you... :wink:

What "got right up my hooter" was the personal abuse of the former Hibernian manager. Phrases such as "Fat Finnish ****" are, IMO, bile. I thought it was disgusting that this was coming from the clubs own supporters and often went unchecked by the admins (if memory serves Hibby D did clamp down on this and similar terms a couple of times but it was far from consistent).

God Petrie
28-10-2009, 07:54 PM
When? As far as i know, there has been a public sale for every all ticket match involving Hibs that i can remember.:confused:

Several times for derbies and cup games. Once I never got tickets for a scottish cup tie against Falkirk because Hibs were doing well. Considering I had been at 99% of Hibs games home and away for years it is not exactly fair.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Several times for derbies and cup games. Once I never got tickets for a scottish cup tie against Falkirk because Hibs were doing well. Considering I had been at 99% of Hibs games home and away for years it is not exactly fair.

All those games were public sales IIRC, all season ticket holders could have a ticket if they wanted one. So the season ticket/loyalty scheme was in place.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Fair play. A lot wouldn't be as honest about it.
I'll try to be more careful of my wording in the future. Pair, sensitive wee soul you... :wink:

What "got right up my hooter" was the personal abuse of the former Hibernian manager. Phrases such as "Fat Finnish ****" are, IMO, bile. I thought it was disgusting that this was coming from the clubs own supporters and often went unchecked by the admins (if memory serves Hibby D did clamp down on this and similar terms a couple of times but it was far from consistent).

So if you went every week, but abused mixu, it was ok?:wink:

Ginger Gehagan
28-10-2009, 08:36 PM
All those games were public sales IIRC, all season ticket holders could have a ticket if they wanted one. So the season ticket/loyalty scheme was in place.

Falkirk away game in the cup and the second game at tynecastle did'nt make a public sale that season. Even season ticket holders,like myself, did'nt get the chance because all the tickets were snapped up by people with the much missed "early bird season tickets". That's the only game at Tynecastle I've missed since 1994, least I did'nt miss much!!!

God Petrie
28-10-2009, 08:36 PM

None of them were - season ticket holders took up all the tickets.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Falkirk away game in the cup and the second game at tynecastle did'nt make a public sale that season. Even season ticket holders,like myself, did'nt get the chance because all the tickets were snapped up by people with the much missed "early bird season tickets". That's the only game at Tynecastle I've missed since 1994, least I did'nt miss much!!!

I'd like proof of this, as thats not what i remember. And even if you are right, why did you not get a ticket, are you not a season/loyalty ticket holder?

Ginger Gehagan
28-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd like proof of this, as thats not what i remember. And even if you are right, why did you not get a ticket, are you not a season/loyalty ticket holder?

I did say in my post that all the tickets were bought by people with early bird season tickets. I'm Sure you can remeber them, you got priority for away games over other season ticket holders if you bought you ticket before a certain date. I never had an early bird and was'nt able to go to the games I mentioned because they were all bought by people who did. I'm positive about that but not sure how I could prove it. I even went to Swinie and stood outside to try and get a ticket, but to no avail.

God Petrie
28-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I did say in my post that all the tickets were bought by people with early bird season tickets. I'm Sure you can remeber them, you got priority for away games over other season ticket holders if you bought you ticket before a certain date. I never had an early bird and was'nt able to go to the games I mentioned because they were all bought by people who did. I'm positive about that but not sure how I could prove it. I even went to Swinie and stood outside to try and get a ticket, but to no avail.

I had an early bird season ticket but still didn't get tickets although not for lack of trying hence the requirement for a loyalty system.

Ginger Gehagan
28-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I had an early bird season ticket but still didn't get tickets although not for lack of trying hence the requirement for a loyalty system.

Yeah it would definitely help, but the chances of anything being implemented Hibs are pretty slim.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah it would definitely help, but the chances of anything being implemented Hibs are pretty slim.

I'm not surprised its pretty slim, a system needed for something that happens once or twice a decade.

Ginger Gehagan
28-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm not surprised its pretty slim, a system needed for something that happens once or twice a decade.

Yeah, and thats why it's pretty slim. Not cost effective.

lEXO
28-10-2009, 09:06 PM
What do you propose the club does then?It gives season ticket holders vouchers in their books and first grabs on sales.Whatever tickets left go on public sale,via ticketmaster and ticketoffice.They cant cater for everyone, and as for " proper fans ".What is a proper fan? Someone who goes when they can afford it?Someone who goes when they can?Someone who works every second saturday,so cant make it every week? A season ticket holder who only goes to the occassional away game?In my opinion all of these are proper fans.I dont grudge any Hibs fan a ticket for a game i cant get.I,ve got my ST, but all guarantees me is my seat at ER.If you want a ticket get your finger out and get into Hibs early doors to get one, but please dont think your any more of a proper fan than any other Hibby.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, and thats why it's pretty slim. Not cost effective.

No, its just not needed, there is very little call for it. Twice in how many years?:confused:

Don Giovanni
28-10-2009, 09:18 PM
So if you went every week, but abused mixu, it was ok?:wink:

So you do get it... :wink:

Seriously though, I thought some of it was both over the top and out of order at the same time...

Ginger Gehagan
28-10-2009, 09:20 PM
No, its just not needed, there is very little call for it. Twice in how many years?:confused:

Well that's twice in my 29 years on this earth that I have'nt been able to get a ticket, so I think it's imperative that the club do something immediately to make sure that the disgraceful situation does'nt happen again!!:greengrin:greengrin

Don Giovanni
28-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I believe other clubs implement a point based system. You 'earn' points for games attended and the more points you have amassed the higher up the pecking order for tickets you are. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Hibs already have an extensive database so it shouldn't be difficult to introduce points to it. This would also reward those walk-up fans who do not/cannot afford to stump up the cash for a season ticket but regularly attend the games.

I think rewarding regular supporters would be a good idea even though I may struggle to obtain tickets for certain games because of it.

weecounty hibby
28-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I have always been able to get tickets for any game that I have wanted to attend, whether Hibs or Scotland. No longer a ST holder and have never been a SFA travel club member but have gotten tickets for away games, including Tynie, cup semis and finals and also Scotland games at Hampden and abroad including the world cup opener V Brasil in 98 (gold dust). If you want a ticket you can ALWAYS get one.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 09:32 PM
So you do get it... :wink:

Seriously though, I thought some of it was both over the top and out of order at the same time...

Oh i do get what you say, although reasoning and football fans should never be mixed.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Well that's twice in my 29 years on this earth that I have'nt been able to get a ticket, so I think it's imperative that the club do something immediately to make sure that the disgraceful situation does'nt happen again!!:greengrin:greengrin

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I believe other clubs implement a point based system. You 'earn' points for games attended and the more points you have amassed the higher up the pecking order for tickets you are. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Hibs already have an extensive database so it shouldn't be difficult to introduce points to it. This would also reward those walk-up fans who do not/cannot afford to stump up the cash for a season ticket but regularly attend the games.

I think rewarding regular supporters would be a good idea even though I may struggle to obtain tickets for certain games because of it.

I'd be for any system that rewards loyalty, although i think its been proved we dont need one at this moment in time.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm not sure what kind of proof we can get you but I remember the debates on here about the club giving ST holders priority over other ST holders because of the Early Bird thing. Maybe a search of .net for Early Bird? Not sure if the old thread shave been deleted though?

Falkirk away in the SC was sold to Early Bird ST only - so not only did it not go to public sale but non-EB St holders didn't get the chance to buy either. I had an Early Bird that season so was one of the lucky ones, although I didn't feel that lucky to be queuing at such a ridiculous time on a Sunday morning to get a ticket!

Don Giovanni
28-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Hypothetical situation:

Hibs qualify for Europe this season and draw AZ Alkmaar to make the group stage of Europa Cup. Their stadium is about the same size as ours and with Hollands relative proximity and good transport links we could easily out-sell the away allocation.

Following a storming season we also face Hertz at Hampden in the Scottish Cup final (well I did say hypothetical) and some fans will be disappointed.

As I said Hibs already have an extensive database so I don't think this would be too difficult to initiate a points based system.

Lucius Apuleius
29-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Well I am 53 years old and followed Hibs for the vast majority of them. I have NEVER been unable to get a ticket for any game i wanted to go to.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Well I am 53 years old and followed Hibs for the vast majority of them. I have NEVER been unable to get a ticket for any game i wanted to go to.

Me too, never missed a game i really wanted to see. If you want to see hibs, there is always a way.