View Full Version : NHC Strachan Blunder

gerry70
27-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I really want you in my Boro team.

well maybe not.......

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/206987/

Strachan's PR blunder
Tue Oct 27 09:05AM

Gordon Strachan has often made headlines with his pithy quotes (Q: There goes your unbeaten run. Can you handle it? A: No. I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Yeah, I think I can handle it.") but on his first day as Middlesbrough boss it was what he didn't say that created more interest.

Strachan was pictured holding a piece of paper that looked a lot like his ideal Middlesbrough team sheet.

And bad news for anyone not named Brad Jones, David Wheater, Sean St Ledger or Adam Johnson - nine of the 13 names on the list were prospective signings.

Among Strachan's targets are Arsenal wunder-kind Jack Wilshere, Manchester United's 15-minutes-of-fame merchant Federico Macheda and, inevitably, Kevin Phillips. Also named were Kyle Naughton, Andy Griffin, Marc Albrighton, Isaiah Osbourne, Hayden Mullins and Chris Iwelumo.

While it displays a bit of ambition, the list will hardly inspire confidence in the 24 Boro squad members who now, apparently, find themselves surplus to requirements.

Strachan's blunder was the kind of thing normally associated with major public figures and government ministers - or Nick Faldo, who pretended his list of Ryder Cup pairings was a lunch list.

For example, in April Bob Quick, Britain's most senior anti-terror policeman, resigned after flashing notes headed 'SECRET' that detailed a raid on an alleged terrorist cell in North-West London.

And last year Housing Minister Caroline Flint was snapped with briefing notes explaining just how deep in the brown stuff the UK property market was: "We can't know how bad it will get." Of course you can't, you're only the government.

It may go some way to explaining Strachan's rather odd remark: "If you have been Celtic manager for four years you can be Prime Minister of Great Britain."

After yesterday's Westminster-worthy gaffe, he is well on the way.

RIP
27-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Can anyone explain to me why, with the team a close 4th and challenging for promotion to the Premiership, the Middlesborough Chairman thought it wise to put the club through the upheaval of replacing the team manager with an out-of-work tw*t like Gordon Strachan.

What am I missing?

magpie1892
27-10-2009, 04:23 PM
He's a nasty, odious little twerp. Despite having a season ticket for NUFC, I actually quite like Boro so it's disappointing they have hired such a prick. Can't wait for those 'hilarious' press calls...

Andy74
27-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Can anyone explain to me why, with the team a close 4th and challenging for promotion to the Premiership, the Middlesborough Chairman thought it wise to put the club through the upheaval of replacing the team manager with an out-of-work tw*t like Gordon Strachan.

What am I missing?

Mainly because they may have been a close 4th but their performances were awful and the Chairman thought they were in a false position.

He said the only thing that concerned him was going up and that he had to act now before the chance of that had gone.

As a Chairman he has backed his managers so I don't doubt he's acting in the best interests of the club with this one.

He says he chose Strachan mainly for his coaching qualities so he clearly thought something was lacking there.

Toaods
27-10-2009, 08:40 PM

What am I missing?

a gap period before he can sign for another club...:wink: