PDA

View Full Version : Why are Hibs so contagious?

Owain_1987
27-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I am at uni in Carlisle and one of my housemates is a Wednesday fan anyway he got Saturday of work so I invited him to come to Ibrox to watch the Hibs. When we scored he went crazy as if he had been following Hibs for years and sung along to all the Hibs songs. He also was saying how good football we played and that he wanted to come back. So why do Hibs have this affect on people?

Ravelston Hibby
27-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I am at uni in Carlisle and one of my housemates is a Wednesday fan anyway he got Saturday of work so I invited him to come to Ibrox to watch the Hibs. When we scored he went crazy as if he had been following Hibs for years and sung along to all the Hibs songs. He also was saying how good football we played and that he wanted to come back. So why do Hibs have this affect on people?

Think its called "Class" Owain! :greengrin

It just feels right. :cool2:

Tinyclothes
27-10-2009, 10:46 AM
It's true mate. When I first moved to Edinburgh the first person I met was a jambo so I follwed them for half a season. I then changed jobs and I was training with a mad Hibs fan and I went to the Dnipro match that Wednesday. I was hooked from then on in and got a season ticket the next season and started going to loads of away games (even Killie by myself on new years day). I've now converted loads of mates to the way of the Hibs and it's really easy. I'm living in London now and came up for the dundee United match, a couple of mates came who'd never been to Easter Road before and now they want to go to more games themselves.

Hibs is not just a club, it's a feeling. It's magical. Following Hearts was as much fun as watching my mum do a sh*t.

poolman
27-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Carlisle has a uni :shocked: :wink:

Must be like crack cocaine, try it once and your hooked :greengrin

JE89
27-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Because we're doing well. I introduced some of my uni mates to Hibs against the Dons up here whilst Mixu was the gaffer and the reaction wasn't as positive!

lyonhibs
27-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Because we're doing well. I introduced some of my uni mates to Hibs against the Dons up here whilst Mixu was the gaffer and the reaction wasn't as positive!

:agree::agree:

I suggest if Owain 1987 had taken his mates to the Aberdeen "Thierry Gathuessi/McCann at CB" debacle, or any of the umpteen away games we meekly surrendered in under Collins/Mixu, I sincerely doubt the mate in question would be champing at the bit to come back up from Carlisle.

That was a cracking away day on Saturday, and as 1st Hibs away games go, short of winning at Tynecastle or the Cup Final, its hard to think of a better one to have been invited to!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-10-2009, 11:11 AM

My mate must have got this system confused, he is a Hibbie, but, has been to more Carlisle games in the last few years than he has Hibs game! :confused:

Big Frank
27-10-2009, 11:25 AM
It's true mate. When I first moved to Edinburgh the first person I met was a jambo so I follwed them for half a season. I then changed jobs and I was training with a mad Hibs fan and I went to the Dnipro match that Wednesday. I was hooked from then on in and got a season ticket the next season and started going to loads of away games (even Killie by myself on new years day). I've now converted loads of mates to the way of the Hibs and it's really easy. I'm living in London now and came up for the dundee United match, a couple of mates came who'd never been to Easter Road before and now they want to go to more games themselves.

Hibs is not just a club, it's a feeling. It's magical. Following Hearts was as much fun as watching my mum do a sh*t.

Cracking post.

Anyhoo - get in touch with London Hibs.

number 27
27-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I took an English mate to a game confident he would get hooked.

Ayr United at Hampden in the league cup semi :boo hoo:

He has not been back.

Hibercelona
27-10-2009, 12:59 PM
It's not Hibs that are addictive...

Its the methadone and needles that gets us hooked. :wink:

HibeePaj
27-10-2009, 01:53 PM
i took a celtic season ticket holder to the game on Saturday,, he is still walkin around the flat chanting oh 2 oh 2 be , and bertie mee..:thumbsup:

Owain_1987
27-10-2009, 02:15 PM

I suggest if Owain 1987 had taken his mates to the Aberdeen "Thierry Gathuessi/McCann at CB" debacle, or any of the umpteen away games we meekly surrendered in under Collins/Mixu, I sincerely doubt the mate in question would be champing at the bit to come back up from Carlisle.

That was a cracking away day on Saturday, and as 1st Hibs away games go, short of winning at Tynecastle or the Cup Final, its hard to think of a better one to have been invited to!!

He did see the Hibs Celtic game also though at the end of last season. I can tell you that was very poor!

Swindonfan
27-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Hibs are contagious. After giving up watching live football with swindon when things on and off the pitch were truly awfull, moving up to edinburgh in about 2002 felt i hadnt lost anything football wise. And with easter road just around the corner i thought id give live football again and also give me a gf a break. And Hibs gave me my love of live football back again. Good stadium, great fans, and under mowbray especially good football to. Have since returned down south but still wear my Hibs shirt with pride and just love it when ive come across a Rangers or Celtic fan wearing his shirt when ive got my Hibs shirt on. Have gone back and i am a season ticket holder at Swindon again now and its almost like the SPL has come to swindon. We now have Scott Cutherbert signed from Celtic at the back along side Gordon Greer ex Killie. We have Simon Ferry and Hutchinson on loan from Celtic, ferry who is quite tidy thou Hutchinson so far has been pish. Jp Mcgovern ex celtic who was pish but has been ok this season so far and of course the one and only Alan O'Brien who got injured on the first day of the season and has only been a sub since. Mainly because when he did return from injury against southend he got injured 2 minutes after coming on and playing a part in the winner. Only to get booed for the next 5 mins as he didnt run after anything before people realised he was injured. He has played almost a half a game or the reserves to day as they look to bring him back slowly i think.
Nice to see Stokes saying about lets try to get in amongst the old firm. Always felt clubs in the SPL gave Celtic and Rangers far to much respect, maybe its because ive become a fan of Hibs that i dont give a monkies about the old firm and think all the other teams in the SPL should look to kick ass when they play them to be honest. Hope the board let the manager tinker some more come January time. He has him ambitions lets hope the Hibs board will look to continue to help him realise them. All the best to all you Hibees. Best fans in scotland !

Jones28
27-10-2009, 03:05 PM

:tsk tsk::shocked::sick: Let us never speak of this again :agree:

hibbymark
27-10-2009, 03:58 PM
i took a celtic season ticket holder to the game on Saturday,, he is still walkin around the flat chanting oh 2 oh 2 be , and bertie mee..:thumbsup:
I think i seen your mate. Did he have his celtic/ireland flag with him?:bitchy:

VegasHibby
27-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Sorry to say but what a bunch of BS. It's called jumping on the bandwagon. When Hibs are playing well and competing with OF everyone comes out of the woodwork. Most of us Hibby's who have been around long enough have seen the "part time" supporters come and go.
Mark my words Hibs go on a bad streak and you won't find Hibs being too contagious for your friend and maybe even yourself anymore.
I'm not being negative it's just a reality.

greenlex
27-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry to say but what a bunch of BS. It's called jumping on the bandwagon. When Hibs are playing well and competing with OF everyone comes out of the woodwork. Most of us Hibby's who have been around long enough have seen the "part time" supporters come and go.
Mark my words Hibs go on a bad streak and you won't find Hibs being too contagious for your friend and maybe even yourself anymore.

What a bunch of BS? :confused: You are presuming these guys will be part time. Everybody has to start somewhere. Are fans only true fans if they start to support the cabbage when they are playing garbage or can someone get hooked because they are playing well?
My first game Hibs won handsomely in the scottish cup. I have been following them ever since. (the odd game only as the kids grew up it has to be said) I sat through the Miller years and the Wiliamson years but it all started with a thrashing for Arbroath or Montrose. (It was a long time ago and I keep forgetting which one)

VegasHibby
27-10-2009, 04:46 PM
What a bunch of BS? :confused: You are presuming these guys will be part time. Everybody has to start somewhere. Are fans only true fans if they start to support the cabbage when they are playing garbage or can someone get hooked because they are playing well?
My first game Hibs won handsomely in the scottish cup. I have been following them ever since. (the odd game only as the kids grew up it has to be said) I sat through the Miller years and the Wiliamson years but it all started with a thrashing for Arbroath or Montrose. (It was a long time ago and I keep forgetting which one)

It's amazing how un-contagious Hibs get when they lose a few games is my point

greenlex
27-10-2009, 04:54 PM
It's amazing how un-contagious Hibs get when they lose a few games is my point
I know what yer point is but it was the way you made it. :greengrin

Mag7
27-10-2009, 05:44 PM

That's very harsh. I've introduced a lot of folk to Hibs over the years (especially when I lived in London and a number of English mates would come up to Edinburgh with me for the festival or the new year), and I think virtually all of them have become fans of the club. Yes, a fair number don't get to many games as they still live in London, but that doesn't mean you're a part-time supporter. What has been gratifying is that by and large most of these guys have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the football and no longer regard English football as vastly superior. The atmosphere at some of the games (in particular when we won the new year derby - which actually took place on new year's day - in the mid 90s just a few days after losing 7-0 at Ibrox) has also made it's mark on a lot of these guys.

IMHO these fans deserve to be accorded just as much respect as Hibs fans like yourself (and me) who have been lifelong fans of the club. In fact, I sometimes envy their relentless enthusiasm for Hibs, unlike my own cynicism bred of too many let-downs!

Mixu62
27-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Also, :thumbsup: to the OP and others who have taken mates to ER and got them hooked on Hibs. When I see threads about how we can get bigger crowds, the simple answer is, bring a friend. And when I hear about guys proudly wearing their hibs shirts in Engerlund (or other more civilised parts of the world:devil:), well, that's more potential shirt sales at the club too. It all helps.

HibeePaj
27-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I think i seen your mate. Did he have his celtic/ireland flag with him?:bitchy:

lol he didnt, but he did have his massive celtic tattoo on his lower arm :wink:

VegasHibby
27-10-2009, 08:20 PM
i took an english mate to two derbies last year, he said it was the worst football he had ever seen and would never be back. He is a Derby fan though so used to watching good football, pass and move the Derby groove and all that

I could see Hibs getting a result against Derby:confused:

mouvran
27-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I could see Hibs getting a result against Derby:confused:

Don't worry he's only joking. This Derby fan is a total wind-up merchant and hates scottish football with a passion, especially Hibs. Of course we would beat derby. We're 3rd in the SPL and derby are 19th in the Championship - that says it all.

VegasHibby
27-10-2009, 08:38 PM
That's very harsh. I've introduced a lot of folk to Hibs over the years (especially when I lived in London and a number of English mates would come up to Edinburgh with me for the festival or the new year), and I think virtually all of them have become fans of the club. Yes, a fair number don't get to many games as they still live in London, but that doesn't mean you're a part-time supporter. What has been gratifying is that by and large most of these guys have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the football and no longer regard English football as vastly superior. The atmosphere at some of the games (in particular when we won the new year derby - which actually took place on new year's day - in the mid 90s just a few days after losing 7-0 at Ibrox) has also made it's mark on a lot of these guys.

IMHO these fans deserve to be accorded just as much respect as Hibs fans like yourself (and me) who have been lifelong fans of the club. In fact, I sometimes envy their relentless enthusiasm for Hibs, unlike my own cynicism bred of too many let-downs!

Fair enough comment,but there's nothing harsh or derogatory about classifying someone as a "part time" supporter is there ?
From my own perspective I think I have the right to have that opinion

ArabHibee
27-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I think a few people are perhaps at cross purposes on this thread, IMO.

I think everyone is happy to have friends/family introduced to Hibs and for them to enjoy coming to the games if they can or for them to be 'fans' and to follow their progress from afar (ie. live too far away).

The OP is talking about a friend who came to his first Hibs game on Saturday and got carried away with himself.
He sounds a bit :crazy: IMO.

Owain - has your friend never been to a football match before?

erin go bragh
27-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Hibs are contagious. After giving up watching live football with swindon when things on and off the pitch were truly awfull, moving up to edinburgh in about 2002 felt i hadnt lost anything football wise. And with easter road just around the corner i thought id give live football again and also give me a gf a break. And Hibs gave me my love of live football back again. Good stadium, great fans, and under mowbray especially good football to. Have since returned down south but still wear my Hibs shirt with pride and just love it when ive come across a Rangers or Celtic fan wearing his shirt when ive got my Hibs shirt on. Have gone back and i am a season ticket holder at Swindon again now and its almost like the SPL has come to swindon. We now have Scott Cutherbert signed from Celtic at the back along side Gordon Greer ex Killie. We have Simon Ferry and Hutchinson on loan from Celtic, ferry who is quite tidy thou Hutchinson so far has been pish. Jp Mcgovern ex celtic who was pish but has been ok this season so far and of course the one and only Alan O'Brien who got injured on the first day of the season and has only been a sub since. Mainly because when he did return from injury against southend he got injured 2 minutes after coming on and playing a part in the winner. Only to get booed for the next 5 mins as he didnt run after anything before people realised he was injured. He has played almost a half a game or the reserves to day as they look to bring him back slowly i think.
Nice to see Stokes saying about lets try to get in amongst the old firm. Always felt clubs in the SPL gave Celtic and Rangers far to much respect, maybe its because ive become a fan of Hibs that i dont give a monkies about the old firm and think all the other teams in the SPL should look to kick ass when they play them to be honest. Hope the board let the manager tinker some more come January time. He has him ambitions lets hope the Hibs board will look to continue to help him realise them. All the best to all you Hibees. Best fans in scotland !
:top marksggtth:wink:nice piece

ChrissyG1875
27-10-2009, 10:14 PM

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

ChrissyG1875
27-10-2009, 10:59 PM
all these posts have been by my friend who is 100% derby and livi, apart from the gathuessi one, that was me.

monktonharp
27-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Carlisle has a uni :shocked: :wink:

Must be like crack cocaine, try it once and your hooked :greengrincertainly worked that way for me too:greengrin just a bit :confused:about some folk ,as if they want to keep the Hibs support as some sort of exclusive thing? plenty of room for more,so Owain,get yer mate to bring a mate next time:wink::cool2:

McHibby
28-10-2009, 01:10 AM

I also took my mate from Ipswich to a match against Aberdeen, but Mowbray was in charge. However, we were absolutely dire and the match was rank, I think it finished 0-0. But he still came back! Now he has a season ticket!

Rory89
28-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Brought a flatmate from uni to the Motherwell game amongst other people, he's been an Arsenal season ticket holder up to this year for quite a while (so he's used to watching good players).

Anyway, at half time with the score 1-1 and the ***** crowd, ***** match and ***** atmosphere I was a bit embarrased that I was introducing someone to Scottish football with this pish. By full time though he was loving it, and now he belts out "Ooh! Zemmama" whenever he's pished. :greengrin

He's up for the Aberdeen game now, one more converted I reckon.

poolman
28-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Contagious

Teacher asked wee Johnny for a sentence with "contagious" in it

Wee Johnny says, I heard my Dad say to Mum this morning

"I asked Johnny to go and get me the papers this morning, it took the wee contagious"

Coats on