PDA

View Full Version : Eighteen years ago today ...........

Jonnyboy
26-10-2009, 11:05 PM
....... 27 October 1991

Skol Cup Final

Hibernian 2 Dunfermline 0

Anyone fancy sharing their memories of that great day?

:thumbsup:

HibeePaj
26-10-2009, 11:14 PM
i was in the pram waiting for the bus to come down leith walk:cool2:

Jonnyboy
26-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i was in the pram waiting for the bus to come down leith walk:cool2:

:greengrin

Peevemor
26-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I was keechin' my pants, half expecting to be let down again. I only really started to enjoy myself when KeithKeithKeith slotted home the second (I think the majority there that day were the same). it's a pity that Hammy didn't immortalise himself by scoring a third goal for Hibs when he rattled the post with a great long range shot.

We drove straight back to ER after the match to see the cup paraded and then had a mega swally in the Windsor. I remember L&B's finest being amazingly sensible that night - they must have came to the pub door maybe 3 or 4 times, well after kicking-out time, and simply asked us to quieten down instead of clearing the place.

hibee92
26-10-2009, 11:24 PM
wasn't around back then, what was the format that led to a cup final in october?

rainman
26-10-2009, 11:28 PM
It was my first cup final. Didn't even consider us losing, it was a formality.

Thought we would win a cup every season after that. :duck:

lugz
26-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Can't remember much about it, Was taken to the game by my mum & uncles as it was my 4th birthday and they weren't missin a cup final :greengrin

Minder
26-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Was on the "Doocot" bus, it broke down a couple of miles from the ground and had to walk. There were some sights I can assure you as we had stopped for a few refreshments at Carfin. Got in the ground and they had no pies left. Had terrible view and missed both goals - but in Easter Road when the cup came out - was majic.

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2009, 11:48 PM
myself and another dozen or so went through early doors for a pi*s-up, arrived at the ground about 15 mins before kick-off and ended up being amongst the couple of thousand locked out :boo hoo: dunfy end was pretty empty as well but they wouldn't let all the hibbys in :grr: ended up going to a boozer nearby and getting even more wrecked :thumbsup: a most enjoyable day out though :devil:

Criswell
26-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I was one of the many fans who did not get in. Our bus was caught up in horrendous traffic jams in the city and we were late in arriving at Hampden. The turnstile door was literally shut in my face. Believe it or not the match was pay-at-the gate!

The SFA and Glasgow Police completely under-estimated the amount of support Hibs would bring through and paniced.

Watching the game in a Glasgow pub I could not help reflecting on the irony of my situation. Having been a regular attender at ER for decades here I was outside, while inside, were thousands of "Hibs Fans" who had probably never even been to ER in their lives.

surreyhibbie
27-10-2009, 12:06 AM
travelled up from Aldershot on a bus, went to the game with my best mate Eddie Whoriskey and a couple of others. We were confident but still feared the worst.

It was a brilliant day, wee mickey Weir did very well to win the penalty :wink: and we went straight back to ER to see the parade of the cup.

This wasn't long after Wallet Mercer tried to kill us off remember, so it was doubly sweet.

Best memory is standing at the corner of the Terracing next to the Cave, where I spent many many hours as a kid, looking round and seeing Alex Cropley, one of my heroes, standing a few yards away with his son. He had a smile as wide as the Forth. We all did.

Went on the piss in Musselburgh....I think! :wink:

heretoday
27-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Davie Moyes and Billy Davies both played for the Pars.

the happy hibee
27-10-2009, 12:46 AM
travelled up from Aldershot on a bus, went to the game with my best mate Eddie Whoriskey and a couple of others. We were confident but still feared the worst.

It was a brilliant day, wee mickey Weir did very well to win the penalty :wink: and we went straight back to ER to see the parade of the cup.

This wasn't long after Wallet Mercer tried to kill us off remember, so it was doubly sweet.

Best memory is standing at the corner of the Terracing next to the Cave, where I spent many many hours as a kid, looking round and seeing Alex Cropley, one of my heroes, standing a few yards away with his son. He had a smile as wide as the Forth. We all did.

Went on the piss in Musselburgh....I think! :wink:

That was one of many great days following the hibees Brian, if you remember we stopped at the pub in rutherglen(in the middle of a housing scheme) called the fairway for quite a few pints,and it was just as well the police decided to move the bus because we just got in the ground before they shut the gates. Happy days.:thumbsup:

Bayern Bru
27-10-2009, 01:20 AM
I was three at the time, so I imagine I made a bit of a mess in the house and slept for a while, and coloured in the wallpaper with crayons.

:wink:

Just like LH senior when he got back :greengrin

I was too young to go; although I've got a replica shirt from the final...loved that shirt.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-10-2009, 06:27 AM
I remember almost missing the parade back in Edinburgh as some old codger walked in front of our bus in Glasgow and we hit hm, had to wait until an ambulance and the polis turned up. Fortunately it was right next to a Celtic Supporters Club so we went in for a quick pint until everything was sorted out.

BTW, the old boy was ok. :greengrin

crewetollhibee
27-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Of all the memories from that day the one that stands out (seriously) was my mate screaming like a daftie when we saw Big Mac stepping up to take the penalty. ' There has to be some other ****** !!! ' :devil:

M8UDB
27-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I was only 6 and i was taken out during the day to get my first Hibs strip then the auld man took me down to ER for the trophy coming back, superb day just wish i had been at the game. :agree:

.Louise.
27-10-2009, 07:08 AM
I was 6yrs old and remember it well! My dad wouldn't take me incase I got lost so I spent a few hours before the game greeting my eyes out!!
That all changed when game started and I was glued to the TV!

Went down ER to see them coming back with the trophy!

Haggis Hibby
27-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Remember not wanting to drink before hand hardly touched my pint..

Got through and the crowds were amazing, familys with young kids getting scared in the crush.

My mate Gary and myself got seperated from the others in the crush, we were trying to get in at the main turnstiles, i think they went round to the other side.

As gary and i got closer to the gate through the movement of the crowd a women got inbetween us as Gary was next to get thru the turnstile i asked if i could go beside him as he had my money, she allowed me, at this point Gary was being advised that he was last in and they were closing the turnstile, Gary agrued for me to be allowed in to which they agreed and then closed the gates,

So if you were the women behind me im sorry you didnt see the game but im glad i was there :greengrin

Game was pretty boring on edge till 2nd went in then party time

Back to edin for the parade then rushing round to ER to see the tropy presented to the fans what a great feeling...

Port O'Leaf
27-10-2009, 07:22 AM
We took a minibus through and after the game we drove back through Gorgie with all the windows open and us singing at the top our voices, banging on the sides and blasting the horn. It was pretty pointless really as the streets were unusually deserted.

But from Haymarket and right along Princes Street there were thousands of happy Hibbys waiting for the team bus, and we were making so much noise we got loads of cheers and waves, so the mate drove back along George Street to the West End and we did a lap of honour.

We parked up in MacDonald Road and nipped into Neighbours for a quick swally, but before we left for ER I called my old man to see how my sister was doing as she was expecting her first bairn. He told me I'd just become an uncle for the first time, and my sis and niece were doing fine. Que tears of joy for my brother and I, and far far too much bevvy well into the wee small hours. The perfect end to the perfect day.

If you're reading this Rebecca, Happy 18th Birthday hon.

dangermouse
27-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Took both my kids who were 9 and 7 at the time. Went through on a Lothian Buses double decker bus. Had tickets for the family section (still got the stubs) at the end the goals went in. Bought the kids flags but Strathclyde's finest made them leave the canes outside the ground. :grr:

Couldn't believe we got a penalty but confident Tommy MacIntyre would slot it away as he had already scored a few from the spot for us. When Keith scored the second I missed the rest of the game as someone in front of me was waving a huge flag (how did he get the cane in :dunno:).

Back in Auld Reekie, saw the cup paraded through Corstorphine before getting the kids home to bed for school the next day. Watched the game again as I'd taped it.

Great day out and I'll never forget it.

TheEastTerrace
27-10-2009, 07:41 AM
My old boy took me through to the game, as I was only ten at the time and my mates were going through with their families on supporter buses.

We left sharpish from Waverley on the special to Queen St and always remember getting off the train in Glasgow and in unison all the Hibbies walking onto the platform burst into 'Hail Hail'. Got a bit of nosh and then down to Central for the Mount Florida train.

We must have got there at the back of 1pm and I reckon we were one of the first folk in Hampden Park that day. I ended up meeting a couple of mates down the front of the terrace behind the goals, while my old boy ended up watching the game next to John Leslie. Remember the first half being quite dull and edgy, but the tension lifted when Tommy Mc slotted away the pen, and then I knew it was in the bag as soon as Keith was one on one with Rhodes. He hardly missed that season. Stayed around for the parade inside Hampden and then me and the old boy went back to Edinburgh for the parade. We were outside the old Wimpey at the east end of Princes St. A few of my mates were lucky to get into Easter Road that night.

A great day and only matched by 2007 for obvious reasons. :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
27-10-2009, 07:45 AM
As with EVERY Hibs cup victory, League Cup, Dryborough etc, I missed them because I was out the country.:boo hoo: Kids and wife were there though (little barstewards!!!!) Unfortunately been home for most of the finals we have lost though:boo hoo:

Leithenhibby
27-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Recall this day very well.

Remember taking my seat in the main stand, when someone took their seat in front of me. It was Paul Kane (not too sure who he signed for) and I couldn't help myself as I said " Hi Paul, no got a game the day " cheeky ******* he must have thought.....funny at the time. Sorry Paul. :wink:

Disc O'Dave
27-10-2009, 08:04 AM
It was the day before my 18th Birthday......

My mate Martin was the only one who had a car (well, ok, an Austin Allegro), so he agreed to drive us all through if we paid him in. We got stuck in traffic, so decided to park an what looked like a nice wee bit of green space, and jog / walk the rest of the way.

Turns out we were one of the last few to actually get in – they had started closing the turnstiles at the end behind the goals, so we sprinted along, seeing them close the ones progressively along the straight edge, making it to the very last one, still open. It was closed just after that. I was then amazed to see the huge gaps in the Dunfermline end.

I’m not the tallest, so I didn’t get a great view from way up the back of the old Hampden terracing, but I managed to see both goals, and it was amazing seeing the whole crown in front of me swaying forward when we scored.

After hanging back for the presentation and the lap of honour, we made our way back to the car....whose parking space now looked a lot less “nice and wee” in the dark, with no other cars about. We never seemed to notice those high rise flats when we were focussing on getting to the game. Like a scene from a war movie, we decided to approach the car with caution, as Martin had nipped off behind a wall for a slash (before the journey and all that....)

Sure enough, some natives appeared from the darkness. They had the war cry....”Ho! Are Yooos Hubs?” One was carrying a very large bit of stone....I was obviously at a disadvantage, what with me wearing a Hibs top, Hibs jumper, Hibs scarf, and carrying a green flag with a huge Hibs badge on it. I needed quick thinking and a cunning response, so I came out with “Naw”.

This was enough to dazzle and confuse our foes, and give us enough time to leg it towards the car....only to remember the driver and key-holder was already split up from the group. We continued running towards the main road, where to our relief, we seen a copper. We explained our predicament to him, to which he answered – “I’m on traffic”. Nice and helpful as ever.

At this stage our thoughts turned to Martin....and as we all looked worriedly towards the car, it jumped into life, lights went on, and with a spinning of wheels, it reversed all the way along to where we were...doors were opened “In, In, In!” was shouted....and like heroes, we made our escape!

We then got up to - I think at one point – 30 miles per hour on the M8 – it was solid with Hibbies, and we were right behind one supporters bus that had fans dangling out of the top deck back window. Back in Edinburgh we stood at the East End of Princes Street, right by the Wellington statue to see the bus pass, then ran all the way to Easter Road to see the trophy being paraded. Just like at Hampden, we had to ran all the way to the last turnstile of the Dunbar End to get in – my first time in the away end – and it was a night to remember.

NGH
27-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I was was at the very top of the north terracing. I can see myself celebrating after one of the goals as the camera pans across the crowd.

It was pretty even in the first half but Hibs stepped it up after half-time. I had no worries at all about Tommy McIntyre taking the penalty but like most I wasn't highly confident until the second goal went in.

HibsNibs
27-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Went through early on the train with a few worthies and ended up in a boozer in some Beirut-esque suburb of Glasgow called the Blarney Stone (IIRC). Behind the bar they had two portraits on the wall, one was Paul McStay the other was the Pope. Apart from the other Hibbies in there it was full of the kind of unbelievable specimens you only find in Weedgie pubs on a Sunday morning. After that we piled into some other place which was festooned with Hun/Orange regalia and they wouldn't serve us which is just as well as we only just got into Hampden before plod decided the Hibs sections were full - pay at the gate cup final - unbelievable.

SidBurns
27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
My first time at Hampden and first Cup Final, was 10 years old and actually bought the tickets on the day! No chance of that happening now!?! I'm sure my ticket was £2 but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Went through on a Fernieside B.C bus, remember I bought a Hibs flag and getting lifted up for the rest of the match, after Keith scored, onto my Old Mans shoulders.

Hit Supperbowl on the way back before wandering down Gilmerton Road home :thumbsup:

I remember the Semi too, wasn't there but listened to it on the radio... Those were the days!

IWasThere2016
27-10-2009, 09:00 AM
As with EVERY Hibs cup victory, League Cup, Dryborough etc, I missed them because I was out the country.:boo hoo: Kids and wife were there though (little barstewards!!!!) Unfortunately been home for most of the finals we have lost though:boo hoo:

STAY WELL AWAY THEN!!! :grr: Especially this May :wink:

I was there .. drove fae Glenrothes to Embra and train to Weegie. Was with my brother, mate Brian (wee brother of Colin 'Bomber' Harris) and his pal Stuart (an Arab!). I was sober with driving and recall it all clearly.

A huge Hibs support and we rightly won. After the fears of the recent times before of Hibs disappearing it was a magical day! Truly magical! :thumbsup: Jumping aboot like maddies after Keith Keith Keith wrap it up!

Sadly, I'd to be back in Glenrothes for a 21st that night so missed the cup procession tho :boo hoo:

magpie1892
27-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Eight pints before the game. So pissed I had to hold onto a stanchion for the whole of the first half. Then back to Edinburgh to see 'Wolfsbane' at the Venue where I topped up on the lager. Some hangover...

Ravelston Hibby
27-10-2009, 10:14 AM
AH,......Happy Days! :thumbsup:

Will never forget such a wonderful day.

My mate Duncan ran a bus (from a Rugby Club), we set off very early and we had a great time with the sing-songs and the banter. Stopped for a meal about 20-30 mins from Hampden and got in to the ground in good time.

During the match we were unaware for a while that so many Hibbies had been locked out. :grr:

Despite all the tension, and sometimes uncertainty, it was great when Tommy scored from the spot, and we only relaxed properly when Keith tucked away the one-on-one with Rhodes (at the time I knew he would slot it away!)

Back to Easter Road and the Stadium to cheer the lads on after a great victory!

We had a great celebration back home to finish the day off.

One really sad part of the day that I also will never forget, was that almost in front of us (we were in the South Stand about 8-10 rows up from the pitch, half-way towards the East end) a guy took ill (I think just after Tommy scored the penalty). He was being tended to by the ambulance men on a stretcher for a while. Subsequently, was taken away on a trolley with an oxygen mask on, and really did not look well. We were really saddened to discover later that he had in fact died shortly afterwards.

madjock9
27-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Of being in Cyprus on a working holiday with friend a Dunfermline supporter trying to find somewhere that could get us the results of the game to the joys of a fax being delivered to us and the joy of having to spend a week with my friend putting up with me ripping the usual all week.......

and many a bottle of Keo beer being consumed! :thumbsup:

MrSmith
27-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Superb day out!

I enjoyed every bit of that, but will admit to getting rather nervous at points!

It will always have a lasting memory for me because I brought along my buddies son, Scott, he was around ten at the time and this was his first game.

Scott was all excited about going to Hampden and seeing our famous team especially after all the previous nonsense with Wallet Merger we endured...

We started our journey off at the Captains Cabin. Getting on the 54 seater bus at noon, having first had a few beers, no Scott you understand just me and some of the lads. Scott couldn't stop laughing because most of us needed a pish within ten minutes of the bus leaving and then consistently throughout the journey.

We got there with no tickets just a hope we would get in. seeing the crowd in attendance was completely overwhelming; 40,000 hibees! what an atmosphere!

As we got nearer the gates, folk were walking past us saying we wouldn't get in as the ground was near full and the turnstiles were mobbed. We carried on relentless still hoping to get in. This time and this time alone I will parise Strathclydes finest by saying that while we were waiting an officer spotted me with Scott and directed us to another turnstile which was just about to open and got us in! no bothers!! I heard inside that there was around 7,000 hibees locked out!?

The game was terrific, Scott was jumping and shouting and generally lapping up the atmosphere. We had a great view and saw all the goals. As the match ended the last thing I remember with Scott, was him asking me why the lady behind us was crying? She explained that after all the troubles, this was quite a miracle.

This is the best memory i have of my buddies son Scott and will stay with me forever - thankfully! Scott was run down and killed on his way home to Penicuik in 2004. He loved hibs, I took him home and away for years and in his short life saw us win a cup!

What a day, what a team, what a memory! :thumbsup:

andy

cannastar
27-10-2009, 10:40 AM
:thumbsup:through early in morning after a heavy session the night before trailing round grassmarket on friends 21st to god knows what hour.head still fuzzy in first half,then throbbing during second.was all worth it at 90 mins though magic feeling.back thru to easter road and saw some of the celebrations then back to grassmarket where the sore heid was forgotten about after the 3rd or 4th pint.everyone was talking to anyone about the game shaking hands...a bit like new year again.best day for a long while!

--------
27-10-2009, 10:56 AM
We were living in the Highlands, and the day being a Sunday, I was working.

We watched the game on TV, slightly nervous until the first goal. After that we just got happier and happier.

And happier and happier and happier....

IIRC it was the same day as an Egg-Chucking World Cup semi-final at Muddyfield where England beat Scotland 9-6. Normally this would have been a bit of a downer, but not that day. I met an English friend that evening who tried the "What happened to Scotland?" routine, working up to a gloat.

One of the best moments of my life so far - "Ah couldnae care less what happened tae Scotland, mate - MAH TEAM'S JUST WON THE CUP!"

:devil:

WestEndHibee
27-10-2009, 11:03 AM
....... 27 October 1991

Skol Cup Final

Hibernian 2 Dunfermline 0

Anyone fancy sharing their memories of that great day?

This was my second ever game, my first being the semi final. i was 5 months old... never looked back since:thumbsup:

snooky
27-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Living overseas at the time, I was on the phone to Scotland talking to my dad when KKK scored. I went leaping and screaming around the living room. The kids got upset as they thought there was something seriously wrong with me.

Maybes they were right :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2009, 11:10 AM
It's nice to see the hard work done by the footsoldiers of the anniversary community - the likes of 18th and 7th - get the recognition they deserve. Without their hard work the big boys like 25 and 50 just couldn't exist.

It was an absolute magical day by the way!

Sprouleflyer
27-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I was keechin' my pants, half expecting to be let down again. I only really started to enjoy myself when KeithKeithKeith slotted home the second (I think the majority there that day were the same). it's a pity that Hammy didn't immortalise himself by scoring a third goal for Hibs when he rattled the post with a great long range shot.

We drove straight back to ER after the match to see the cup paraded and then had a mega swally in the Windsor. I remember L&B's finest being amazingly sensible that night - they must have came to the pub door maybe 3 or 4 times, well after kicking-out time, and simply asked us to quieten down instead of clearing the place.

Travelled to the game on the Windsor bus, but for the life of me I can't remember where we went for drink before the game.

Remember geting stuck on the M8 with the volume of Hibs traffic on the way back and seem to remember the open top bus parked up at the petrol station at the Maybury and Hundreds if Hibs fans waiting there.

The trip along Glasgow Road, Corstorphine, Roseburn, Haymarket, Princes Street has to be up there, seeing so many Hibs fans spread out the run into Edinburgh was something else.

Watched the open top bus opposite the NB (or was it callled the Balmoral then?), but what amazed me was the number of coaches that passed after the hibs bus, there must have been thousands who missed the bus parade from the Maybury, maybe thats why the staduim was full later on.

Killiehibbie
27-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Meadowbank Snooker for 9, Pickies for 10 then along to Broadfields via The Abercorn for the bus. Couple of pints in some dive before the game. Bounced all the way back along M8. Day off on Monday watched Skysports rerun in Broadfields with a few pints and a very sore head.

ScottB
27-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Limited recollections as I was only 7 at the time, but I still have 2 pint glasses, one that says 'SK' and the other 'OL' in its honour :greengrin

Jonnyboy
27-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Some fantastic memories - keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

A personal one involves being back in Edinburgh after the game. I was driving and my brother was in the passenger seat. Scarf's out the window as we travelled east along Princes Street and got huge cheers from the assembled Hibbies all the way along! We enjoyed that so much I scooted along Queen Street and went along Princes Street again :greengrin

Sick Boy
27-10-2009, 02:52 PM
How come the LC Final was in October? Were there less qualifying rounds or something?

Jonnyboy
27-10-2009, 02:58 PM
How come the LC Final was in October? Were there less qualifying rounds or something?

It was just played to a conclusion earlier in the season than it is now M.

Hibs' progress

20 Aug Stirling Albion 0 Hibs 3

27 Aug Killie 2 Hibs 3

3 Sept Ayr 0 Hibs 2

25 Sept Rangers 0 Hibs 1 at Hampden (my birthday :greengrin)

27 Oct Dunfermline 0 Hibs 2

Every match away from home and Keith Keith Keith scored in every round including of course the final :thumbsup:

Edit: Thinking about it I reckon that in modern times more clubs are involved in Europe and so the League Cup is kinda fitted around that

Bishop Hibee
27-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Ah memories. Was at every round as I was a real fan in those days :wink:

Ran a bus from Porty Town Hall picking up at Waterloo Place and The Royal Scot with various mates and relatives on board. Never been so glad of going straight to the game and not bothering with a pub stop when I heard Hibbies were locked out.

Floating on air when we won especially given that we'd nearly been defunct 18 months previously.

The bus was delayed as one of my brothers and a mate got lost. Left without them and the driver took the B route right through Harthill etc! He got a huge cheer when we reached the Gogar Roundabout and we sailed through missing all the M8 traffic. People out on the streets applauding our bus on the way back. Great laugh at the Ace of Hearts Club (?) at Haymarket when the curtain twitched and the jambo looking out got pelters.

Opposite the Balmoral when the team bus appeared and a quick dash down to ER to see the team in the stadium. Great memories of seeing my now sadly deceased dad in the ground and celebrating with him. Straight to Robbies afterwards for a bit of table/bar dancing. Thank God I had the next day off.

Next morning straight to the newsagent in Lorne Street. Newsagent says "that's the 97th Daily Record I've sold this morning!"

Magic :flag:

StevieC
27-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I nearly got locked out!!

One of the last few to get into the game before the turnstiles were closed.

:woohoo:

fiolex1
27-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Bad memories of this day got locked out the Hibs end, and tried a feeble attempt to gain entry to the Dunfermline end whilst being totally legless, unfortunately Glasgow's finest were not impressed and I got lifted, and then emptied after the game with a severe hangover, but the result made up for it.:agree:

GTMRossaK3
27-10-2009, 04:44 PM
My son should have had a boys club game that day in Forfar but it was cancelled on the Friday so I phoned a friend in Glasgow who picked up 6 tickets for me. My son & I plus two other boys from his team plus their Dads drove through from Forfar.

We stopped at the Little Chef at Dunblane and one of the boys, a fanatical Hibee, took off his Hibs top as it was roasting only to have another one on underneath! 10 mins later he did the same again - good laugh had by all! It hadn't really dawned on us that with two non-Glasgow teams in the final the traffic of travelling fans would be horrendous. We ditched the car and walked the last couple of miles and got in 20 mins into the game.

Like a previous poster the lads too bought flags being sold a few yards from the turnstile only to have the canes confiscated a yard further on - ridiculous!! Never mind - a brilliant day to be a supporter! Wonder if Keith Keith Keith's watch he got for scoring in every round still works! Budgie with Alex Miller on his shoulders still brings a tear to the eye!

I also remember seeing the man being carted away on the stretcher but didn't read until the next day that he had passed away. A very unfortunate anniversary for some poor family when for others it means so much happiness. Just shows how a famous event can have such extreme meaning to different people for different reasons!

Davy Mac
27-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Meadowbank Snooker for 9, Pickies for 10 then along to Broadfields via The Abercorn for the bus. Couple of pints in some dive before the game. Bounced all the way back along M8. Day off on Monday watched Skysports rerun in Broadfields with a few pints and a very sore head.

Meadowbank Snooker - JP's to me:wink:

Pickies - Pickwicks to me if your not fae Piershill:wink:

Broadfields - Was that open in 91 - Scotties for me:wink:

The Abercorn - nah Grants :thumbsup:(remember drinking the pub dry of Fosters during the World Cup of 86:greengrin:greengrin)

PS My Grandad built that lovely stone fireplace in the Abercorn and said fireplace has now been painted black by some futuristic laser mob

Davy Mac
27-10-2009, 05:58 PM
First of all sorry Gemma (my darling little niece who is now 18 and attends more matches than me) but I had to leave your christening no later than 12:30 on that famous Sunday as I wouldnae have got in.

And so it turned out as the gates closed behind me and when the second goal went in I knew you would understand all these years later...:greengrin

Finally, you do know your mum booked the christening that day just so your Dad couldnae go eh...............ken.....seriously....:agree:

Ah well, your Dad and I made up for against Killie as did you.....:wink: xx

Killiehibbie
27-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Meadowbank Snnoker - JP's to me:wink:

Pickies - Pickwicks to me if your not fae Piershill:wink:

Broadfields - Was that open in 91 - Scotties for me:wink:

The Abercorn - nah Grants :thumbsup:(remember drinking the pub dry of Fosters during the World Cup of 86:greengrin:greengrin)

PS My Grandad built that lovely stone fireplace in the Abercorn and said fireplace has now been painted black by some futuristic laser mob

Just me showing my age you'll be 41 soon enough January I think:wink:
Broadfields opened a year or 2 before that.

Lofarl
27-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I was 11 years old at the time. That was my 2nd time at Hampden. The first being a few weeks earlier when many a hibee shouted "Andy give us a goal, Andy Andy give us a goal". Goram obliged :thumbsup:. What sticks most in my mind an Im not sure if this is just my memory playing tricks on me. But Im sure someone died or was very close to it. I seem to recall a medic working frantically on someone at the South East side of the pitch. I was with my dad an his pal in the east stand. Anyone else mind if this? I can remember being amazed at how bright and shiny the cup looked as Murdo lifted it high above his head an I wish I travelled back to Easter Road for the celebrations as they looked great. I also remember the next day a photo in the evening news of Sherlock Holmes with a hibs scarf on an a bottle of beer in hand.