PDA

View Full Version : HIBS V ABERDEEN - Memories

007 Mickey Weir
26-10-2009, 07:57 PM
With the up and coming fixture v the Sheep thought I would get people to share some classic memories of games of the past.

One early memory is Charlie Nicholas making his debut for them in a classic nil nil.

Also have great memories of a midweek trip to pittodrie for a cup game and us beating on penalties. Jim leighton and Kevin Harper the stars of the show.

Also this from the days of Oh Ah Jackson ah!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sw0ICjWTl8

Removed
26-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Also have great memories of a midweek trip to pittodrie for a cup game and us beating on penalties. Jim leighton and Kevin Harper the stars of the show.

I remember that one - great trip home :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
26-10-2009, 07:59 PM
SC replay at ER when we humped them 4-1...Mikey Stewart on the volley from a corner to make it 2-1 Hibs :wink:

007 Mickey Weir
26-10-2009, 08:01 PM
SC replay at ER when we humped them 4-1...Mikey Stewart on the volley from a corner to make it 2-1 Hibs :wink:

Only good thing he did for us....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJcB-xv5XA

that and play pish for hearts!!

Other ones I remember are -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVjIa0hceQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVjIa0hceQ)

Another blast from the past. Danny Lennon has morphed into a Darren Jackson wannabee!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69j2sfebFTk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69j2sfebFTk)

Classic Crunchie!

Ray_
26-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I remember the last game of the season in May 1970, when Eddie Turnbull's Aberdeen side were clapped on to the field, on a Tuesday night, having just won the Scottish the previous Saturday, with a 3-1 win over Jock Stein's Celtic. The then dandy Dons beat us 2-1 on that occasion. It was such a refreshing sight to see somebody other than Celtic win something.

Just a few months later that year, we played Aberdeen, again midweek, needing to win the last league cup section game, to put us through to the quarters. In the first half Hibs were magnificent as they tore Martin Buchan’s defence to threads, to record a 4-0 half time lead.

With no goals in the second half, the game ended 4-0 and Hibs played Rangers in the quarters. Arthur Duncan had been injured by being knocked off the ball & into the barrier, in a match leading up to the quarter final, the extent of the injury was kept secret until KO time, but it didn't help as we lost both legs 3-1.

In to Jan 1971, ET's side had got over their 4-0 loss against Hibs & were leading the 1st division table and in the process Bobby Clark had gone around ten games without conceding. Goals by Pat Stanton & the newly signed inspiration, Joe Baker, secured a 2-1 for Hibs.

The games against Aberdeen were always enjoyable matches at the start of the seventies as both clubs played good exciting football.

heretoday
26-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I remember the last game of the season in May 1970, when Eddie Turnbull's Aberdeen side were clapped on to the field, on a Tuesday night, having just won the Scottish the previous Saturday, with a 3-1 win over Jock Stein's Celtic. The then dandy Dons beat us 2-1 on that occasion. It was such a refreshing sight to see somebody other than Celtic win something.

Just a few months later that year, we played Aberdeen, again midweek, needing to win the last league cup section game, to put us through to the quarters. In the first half Hibs were magnificent as they tore Martin Buchan’s defence to threads, to record a 4-0 half time lead.

With no goals in the second half, the game ended 4-0 and Hibs played Rangers in the quarters. Arthur Duncan had been injured by being knocked off the ball & into the barrier, in a match leading up to the quarter final, the extent of the injury was kept secret until KO time, but it didn't help as we lost both legs 3-1.

In to Jan 1971, ET's side had got over their 4-0 loss against Hibs & were leading the 1st division table and in the process Bobby Clark had gone around ten games without conceding. Goals by Pat Stanton & the newly signed inspiration, Joe Baker, secured a 2-1 for Hibs.

The games against Aberdeen were always enjoyable matches at the start of the seventies as both clubs played good exciting football.

You are right. I think Dundee always played attacking stuff too with Jocky Scott (late of this parish) a standout. The Jan 1971 game is the stuff of legend. I was behind the goal when Stanton hit the first and of course it had to be Baker with the winner from a Mervyn Jones cross. White boots and big sideburns - not me - Baker!

Ray_
26-10-2009, 09:03 PM
You are right. I think Dundee always played attacking stuff too with Jocky Scott (late of this parish) a standout. The Jan 1971 game is the stuff of legend. I was behind the goal when Stanton hit the first and of course it had to be Baker with the winner from a Mervyn Jones cross. White boots and big sideburns - not me - Baker!

That's where I was as well, what a fantastic goal from Paddy. I remember late in the game Joe Harper rounded the Hibs keeper & hit the ball on target, for what would have made it 2-2, only foer Sloop to come from nowhere & scoop the ball away, before it crossed the line.

--------
26-10-2009, 09:21 PM
The 6-2 win at Pittodrie in 1968 was quite enjoyable. :greengrin

(Peter Cormack hat-trick....)

heretoday
26-10-2009, 09:24 PM
That's where I was as well, what a fantastic goal from Paddy. I remember late in the game Joe Harper rounded the Hibs keeper & hit the ball on target, for what would have made it 2-2, only foer Sloop to come from nowhere & scoop the ball away, before it crossed the line.

And according to my journal Harper missed a sitter in a well-contested first half. The Hibs goal came shortly after half time when a Johnny Hamilton shot was blocked and Paddy lashed it into the corner of the net with surprising violence. Actually checking back it was Duncan not Jones who crossed for the Baker boy to score. The cry was "We want three".

A week later Forfar were put to the sword (why do I resort to these cliches) 8-1 although Baker was cuptied. A certain Kenny Davidson scored two that day - Jan 23rd.

Hibs still had Eric Stevenson playing for them at that time - one of my favourite players.

hibernian36
26-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Mind going up there for a league game 92ish and there was a guy with the adidas "skol cup" long sleeve top with a number 12 on the back. On the way back to the bus over the golf course, some guys were playing cricket and number 12 stole the stumps and done a bolt. We were all sitting back on the bus and one of the cricketers was walking around (still with bat in hand) the bus asking for his stumps back. At the same time about 100 yards away the casuals were scrapping. Totally bizarre !

Dibben
26-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Going 2 - 0 up, only for Aberdeen to get it level, then Paul Wright making his debut, scoring a last minute winner - just as he'd predicted on Sportscene the night before!!!

BH.

--------
26-10-2009, 09:35 PM
And a 3-2 win at ER in 1972, not long after the League Cup win, when Alan Gordon scored a sublime headed goal from a lovely wee chipped cut-back from Arfur D....

heretoday
26-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Interestingly, around Jan 1971 the feeling was that Blackley would move and Stanton's intentions were open to question too. The word at the time was that Pat was the highest paid player in Scotland. Hibs fans hoped that the upturn in form would keep these players at the club.

Main topic was the upcoming Cup tie with Hearts at Tynecastle.

Bishop Hibee
26-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Theo Snelders, the Dons goalie, hitting Keith Wright, getting sent off and booting the ball out the ground down Albion Road. Two minutes beforehand I'd turned to a mate saying what a boring game it was!

rainman
27-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Theo Snelders, the Dons goalie, hitting Keith Wright, getting sent off and booting the ball out the ground down Albion Road. Two minutes beforehand I'd turned to a mate saying what a boring game it was!

That game has always stuck in my mind!

IIRC, Snelders kicked the ball away and was sent off. Brian Irvine went in goals and saved Pat McGinleys penalty. Aberdeen ran up the field and won a penalty that Jim Bett skied into orbit. It was looking like a draw until Danny Lennon rammed one in from 20 yards.

Not sure how accurate that is or it may be 3 games rolled into one but those are the bits I remember.

Allant1981
27-10-2009, 04:40 AM
my first ever away game was up in aberdeen, my mum was worried sick something would happen. these were the days before mobiles so she had a long wait to find out i was ok

crewetollhibee
27-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Semi in Scottish Cup at Hampden 1979. All the supporters were in the Rangers end and the atmosphere was electric. Remember wondering the next day if the journalists had been to a different game, but of course they were in the main stand, so of course it appeared ghost-like. Oh yeah, and we won as well !!! :thumbsup:

Ray_
27-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Interestingly, around Jan 1971 the feeling was that Blackley would move and Stanton's intentions were open to question too. The word at the time was that Pat was the highest paid player in Scotland. Hibs fans hoped that the upturn in form would keep these players at the club.

Main topic was the upcoming Cup tie with Hearts at Tynecastle.

Yip, the players were unsettled after watching team mate Stein join Rangers around this time of year, 1968 & this was followed by Marinello & Cormack leaving within four months of each other, at the start of the seventies and Willie Mac's bizarre departure, just before the Liverpool game, at the end of December [1970], which was eight month after Peter Cormack's departure.

After the Jambo's were despatched [2-1] with goals by Hazel & Duncan's solo effort, the remaining season's highlights were Dave Ewing's "Rangers are Rubbish" semi & subsequent replay loss & with the emergence of Crop's, [back after injury] and ready to make pivotal impact in ET's first season.

ET's arrival in July that year, being so instrumental in JB & PT becoming settled again, all rather ironic when we consider the circumstances surrounding Pat's eventual departure, but that's Hibs for you:greengrin.

Steve-O
27-10-2009, 07:33 AM
That game has always stuck in my mind!

IIRC, Snelders kicked the ball away and was sent off. Brian Irvine went in goals and saved Pat McGinleys penalty. Aberdeen ran up the field and won a penalty that Jim Bett skied into orbit. It was looking like a draw until Danny Lennon rammed one in from 20 yards.

Not sure how accurate that is or it may be 3 games rolled into one but those are the bits I remember.

Brian Irvine definitely saved the penalty, but the Lennon goal was from another game (3-1, clip is on this thread).

I honestly can't remember the score in that Snelders game but I think it might've ended up 2-0?

Leithenhibby
27-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Remember this one well, as it was my first game at ER :greengrin Still got the framed (by me) poster of the Hibernian squad that my late Dad bought me.

Happy memory's indeed...

Lucius Apuleius
27-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Quite a few against the sheep come to mind.

The Baker one obviously. The Snelders one. Pittodrrie in the fog??? ouldn't see the home end? League Cup final 1985 to name a couple.

Broken Gnome
27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately, it's giving them a two goal start (yes, literally giving them) in 2006, then witnessing possibly the most offensive display I've ever seen from an away team at Easter Road. Should by all rights have won that game 8-2, yet went down 2-1.

Joe Baker II
27-10-2009, 09:47 AM
For some reason this is historically a better game at ER than Pitoddrie, not sure why but think possibly because Aberdeen generally brought a good away support until Hibs reduced their allocation in 2006. 3 other games worth noting are as follows:

One memorable game was 1988 quarter final which we lost 2-1 in extra time despite playing well - very good crowd I recall.

Also 2-1 win in 1983-4 when we the only team to beat Aberdeen in along period, 2 late goals, surprisingly low official attendance of 7,000. Sunday Post was at awful patronising worse when Doug Baillie could only praise Hibs "for their sheer grit and determination."

One of Hibs finest performances 3-1 win in 1993-94 when we came back from 0-1 down in great performance (that team deserved a trophy and comeback should have set us up nicely for Hearts in the cup the next week until Wayne Foster intervened!). Was recently on in 4 in hand before Kilmarnock game - actually I think manager Paul Kane played for Aberdeen in that game!