PDA

View Full Version : Sad news. Wattie Robb 1935-2009 (funeral on Tue 3rd Nov)

big-mo
26-10-2009, 05:41 PM
It is with deep regret that I have to let the ‘Net’ know that a famous Hibs fan, Wattie Robb, died today. He was taken into hospital last week and died of pneumonia this morning.
Wattie was 74 and had followed Hibs all his life. He had been around the world with them and up until last season had only missed one home match since 1954. Many of you will have know Wattie or will at least have recognised him, he went to most of the away matched with Big Frank Dougan.

RIP.

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2009, 06:00 PM
sad news indeed RIP big man:agree:

lyonhibs
26-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Pretty sure I know the guy you're talking about - West Upper ST holder, always wore a dark green fleece??

Bet he's forgotten more than most of us will ever know about Hibs, and what great Hibs teams he'll have seen in his lifetime :agree:

RIP

HIBERNIAN 1875
26-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Sad news. :boo hoo:

RIP.

sauzee
26-10-2009, 06:06 PM
a real gent and devoted his life to the club he loved

R I P

Hibercelona
26-10-2009, 06:08 PM
All home games since 1954....

It takes a true Heart of green to make that kind of commitment.

RIP Robb. You will be missed by many who knew you.

matty_f
26-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Sad news - RIP.

offshorehibby
26-10-2009, 06:10 PM
New Wattie well from my days with southern Branch, a character.

RIP

Cropley10
26-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Pretty sure I know the guy you're talking about - West Upper ST holder, always wore a dark green fleece??

Bet he's forgotten more than most of us will ever know about Hibs, and what great Hibs teams he'll have seen in his lifetime :agree:

RIP

West Upper North End, last section, by any chance??

lyonhibs
26-10-2009, 06:21 PM
West Upper North End, last section, by any chance??

:agree: :agree:

Just chanced to hear him pass comment as we walked out of a game a couple of seasons ago, with the other final scores getting read out.

"Dundee United 2 - St Mirren 0" - "Who the f*** are Dundee United" :faf::faf:

Edit: In fact I think I started a thread on here after the 1-0 victory at Hamilton last season (Riordan) about characters/supporters you saw home and away every game.

He - as it turns out it was him - was sat in the row in front of me (the front row of the away stand at New Douglas Park) , and just before KO as folk were coming up the stairs to take their seats I must have counted 50-100 folk shake his hand and say hi as they walked to their seats.

Cropley10
26-10-2009, 06:25 PM
:agree: :agree:

Just chanced to hear him pass comment as we walked out of a game a couple of seasons ago, with the other final scores getting read out.

"Dundee United 2 - St Mirren 0" - "Who the f*** are Dundee United" :faf::faf:

Brilliant. I can imagine that as well. I know Wattie.

He said to me last season, in some dreadful home game mid-winter that AOB was the worst player he had ever seen at ER. He used to have his head in his hands, literally. Thing is, if you've missed one home game in all that time you're entitled to your opinion.

RIP Wattie.

blackpoolhibs
26-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I sat 2 seats in front of him at last weeks game against Killie. I did think at the time he looked very frail. R.I.P.

HibbyKeith
26-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Gent of a guy, will be sadly missed. Without question the biggest hibby i know.

Disco Dave
26-10-2009, 07:09 PM
RIP Wattie

Can remember on the train back from Elfsborg when he was going nuts thinking someone had threw his shoes off the train, had everyone in stitches :thumbsup:

Ringothedog
26-10-2009, 07:23 PM
It is with deep regret that I have to let the ‘Net’ know that a famous Hibs fan, Wattie Robb, died today. He was taken into hospital last week and died of pneumonia this morning.
Wattie was 74 and had followed Hibs all his life. He had been around the world with them and up until last season had only missed one home match since 1954. Many of you will have know Wattie or will at least have recognised him, he went to most of the away matched with Big Frank Dougan.

RIP.

Very sad news, he was a close neighbour to my mum & dad in Peveril. My dad loved speaking Hibs with him. RIP Wattie.

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Sad news of the passing of a real Hibs man.

I spent a lot of time with Wattie, and went on numerous trips with him, drove to Austria with Big Frank and Wattie for Vocklabruck match, and had many great laughs with him. Many great memories of him with me in Denmark, Sweden and Latvia also and these will be cherished..... Our day trip to York was one of the best....

The Hibs club will never be the same......

RIP Wattie, a true legend you will be sorely missed.

Love ya old man, Brockie.........:boo hoo:

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 07:41 PM
RIP Wattie

Can remember on the train back from Elfsborg when he was going nuts thinking someone had threw his shoes off the train, had everyone in stitches :thumbsup:

That was me that stole his shoe..... I remember his rant fondly:greengrin

Koom
26-10-2009, 07:49 PM
.....very sad news indeed, i went with him and others to Hungary for the Videoton match in 1989...be sadly missed.........:boo hoo:

Stantons Angel
26-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Like many others I was very sad to hear of Walter's passing today.:boo hoo: He was a good pal of mine for many years and i have so many happy memories of a great Hibby and a good friend.

Only last year when in Sweden following Hibs, we shared a moment of madness other Hibbys during a trip on a sightseeing boat. It had been raining really hard and the water levels were high when we set out on the trip in this open boat filled with Hibbys and other foreign tourists.
We were about to pass under an overhead bridge with the guide gabbing on in Swedish and another language when i noticed passengers to the side of me bending over in their seats.

Suddenly a shout came to "hit the deck", the water levels had risen so high that we were near to being decapitated!!!! Walter was sitting with Frank Dougan behind me and Frank shouted to him to get on the "f.....g floor!" whilst shoving Walter towards the floor. Walter in turn looked up and shouted to Frank stop"F.....g swearing"...
Hed gotten such a fright when we all had to get to the ground that he wasnt aware he was swearing too.................. Everyone on the boat was in stitches laughing and what a struggle we had getting him back on his seat.

Walter was a true hibby and a good friend to many, thanks for the memories Walter. glory to the hibees! xxx :agree:

Big Frank
26-10-2009, 08:02 PM
True Hibernian.

RIP

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Remember Wattie telling Jones in Austria, that he was the worst centre half he had ever seen, and how he could not lace Hugh Howie's boots....:greengrin

Jone's face was a picture......

Never a dull moment around Wattie.........

chorley_fm
26-10-2009, 08:37 PM
True Hibernian.

RIP

:agree: RIP

Hermit Crab
26-10-2009, 09:26 PM
That was me that stole his shoe..... I remember his rant fondly:greengrin

Ive just dug out the photos of us on the train in Germany going up to Denmark, watties got the beer box on his head sleeping. Good times :greengrin.

RIP wattie. True legend in all our eyes.

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Ive just dug out the photos of us on the train in Germany going up to Denmark, watties got the beer box on his head sleeping :greengrin.

RIP wattie - good times.

Haha I remember that........

The old kokey night.......

Hermit Crab
26-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Haha I remember that........

The old kokey night.......

Aye when chezy apparantly done a poo poo on his kilt! A classic quote from wattie.

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Aye when chezy apparantly done a poo poo on his kilt! A classic quote from wattie.

Was it you who tried to boot Wattie's door in after the Rieperbahn???

Hermit Crab
26-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Was it you who tried to boot Wattie's door in after the Rieperbahn???

I cant remember that at all (possibly due to drink) but i do remember being in the rierperbahn that night.

Hibbyradge
26-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I used to see him regularly in the Hibs Club, members' bar.

RIP.

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I used to see him regularly in the Hibs Club, members' bar.

RIP.

Same table before and after games. It will seem strange this weekend not to see him sitting there.....

Hibbyradge
26-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Same table before and after games. It will seem strange this weekend not to see him sitting there.....

Yep, same table, pole position for the bar. :greengrin

I've been going to the Hibs Club for over 35 years. He was there every time.

HIBERNIALEITH
26-10-2009, 10:22 PM
In tears reading this! Went to a lot of games with him, his brother and Willie McEwan! Never a dull moment when you were with Wattie! Absolutely gutted to hear this! Unfortunately I haven't seen in a while.

Remember Athens very well!

God bless you Wattie for all the happy memories!

RIP x

The Harp
26-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Sad to hear this news. I didn't know Wattie well, but knew of him. There must be few Hibees who haven't heard of his exploits following the club he loved.
Not many fans around with a fraction of his dedication to the Hibs, unfortunately.

RIP

Jonnyboy
26-10-2009, 10:41 PM
RIP Wattie

Martin
26-10-2009, 10:42 PM
RIP Wattie

Newhaven
26-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Know the guy your talking about - Wore the fleece and retro hibs jacket at every game.

Sad news and my thoughts to all friends and family :agree:

Thecat23
26-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I didn't know this guy but reading all the stories about him and how he only missed one game is truely unbelievable. This is a fan, a real fan.. one who would prob tell you stories all night about the Hibs by the sounds of it.

R.I.P To a real Hibernian Football Fan.

MichelleHibs
26-10-2009, 11:34 PM
RIP Wattie

didnt know him personally but knew of him.

Mr Pants
26-10-2009, 11:51 PM

RIP.

Very sad news. Have had the pleasure of sharing some fine chat and banter with the man for many years along with Big Frank. You'll be missed, that's for sure. RIP Wattie, let's hope the boys do you proud this season.

Bishop Hibee
27-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Very sad and will be missed by many. My uncle, still an ST holder who sits in the West Upper who is maybe slightly older than Wattie, used to wind him up about games he'd been to prior to 1954 that he knew Wattie hadn't been at! Wattie used to do his dinger at this :greengrin

A great Hibby. RIP.

Toaods
27-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Some 40 or so years ago I started attending Hibs games away from Easter Road - trouble was my Dad wasnt interested but some of the gents on Southern Branch took me under their wing + looked after me good + proper. RIP Wattie

gorgie_harp
27-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Sad news.
Worked with Wattie down in Princes st gardens back in the day.
Great guy, a true Hibernian.

RIP Wattie.
:boo hoo:

Forza Fred
27-10-2009, 06:45 AM
I've many fond memories of Big Wattie whom I knew from the Hibs club and the games home and away since before I emigrated way back in 74.

Always one of the first to say hello to me when I came back on holiday, and I'll never forget that last time I spent soem time in Wattie's company.

We were standing together in August 2005 at Ibrox praying for the clock to count down a bit faster after Ivan scored a goal agains the Huns.

When Ivan scored a second we embraced and jumpred up and down along with the other 900 odd Hibees who were there.

When the third went in, we just looked at each other and laughed uproariously in disbelief!!

I'm so glad I was at that game with him, and shared such a great day.

Big Wattie was truly somebody that nobody could have a bad word for.

Hopefully someone will post the funeral ararngements - obviously I can't make it, but I'd like to send something, even if only a card.

Steve-O
27-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Oh, sad news that, I thought he might've been indestructible!

I remember him well from the Hibs Club because he took about 10 minutes to reel off the round for his table, and no matter how many times he ordered it, he'd always have to go back and ask about 5 times :faf:

I also remember watching him on the security camera trying to leave the Hibs Club one night and was shocked to see him fall backwards in the front foyer and smack his head right off the floor! He was then picked up by a few people looking like he never felt a thing, and put on a chair. Seconds later he was falling back off the chair for another crack to the head!! Still, he managed to walk out of there, bet he felt it the next day though!!! :greengrin

RIP

IWasThere2016
27-10-2009, 07:11 AM
RIP Wattie

ano hibby
27-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Never met him but had a tear in my eye reading some of the comments. One home game missed since 1954 - Incredible. May he rest in peace.

Mary Hinge
27-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Wattie was probably Gordon Smith's greatest fan....

Every time the great man's name was mentioned Wattie would stand to attention and salute :agree:

Last saw and spoke to him at Frank Dougan's 60th in the Hibs Club. He was an absolute gentleman who always spoke his mind.

RIP Wattie.

MB62
27-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I know Wattie from away back when I first started going to away games in the early 70's. He was a larger than life character and even away back then, you knew he was a legend as a Hibs supporter.
I too seen him at Easter Road recently and thought, 'gees, Wattie is looking a bit old' then thought ' well he is entitled to be, he is getting on a bit now'.
I don't think Wattie will Rest In Peace, I reckon he will still be at Easter Road on Saturday, in spirit, shouting on the Hibees.

I wouldn't advocate Hibs do this for every Hibs fan that passes on but sometimes there are special people that maybe deserve that wee bit recognition by the club for their life long support and dedication, I believe Wattie is one of these people.
So, I would be happy to see the players wear the black armbands on Saturday as a mark of respect to the Man, and maybe even have a minutes applause for him. We do for people who have had official connections with the club, players, managers etc, but at the end of the day, probably THE most important people of a football club are its supporters, WATTIE WAS ONE OF THE BEST.

If Only
27-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I know Wattie from away back when I first started going to away games in the early 70's. He was a larger than life character and even away back then, you knew he was a legend as a Hibs supporter.
I too seen him at Easter Road recently and thought, 'gees, Wattie is looking a bit old' then thought ' well he is entitled to be, he is getting on a bit now'.
I don't think Wattie will Rest In Peace, I reckon he will still be at Easter Road on Saturday, in spirit, shouting on the Hibees.

I wouldn't advocate Hibs do this for every Hibs fan that passes on but sometimes there are special people that maybe deserve that wee bit recognition by the club for their life long support and dedication, I believe Wattie is one of these people.
So, I would be happy to see the players wear the black armbands on Saturday as a mark of respect to the Man, and maybe even have a minutes applause for him. We do for people who have had official connections with the club, players, managers etc, but at the end of the day, probably THE most important people of a football club are its supporters, WATTIE WAS ONE OF THE BEST.

R.I.P. Wattie. Totally agree with you Burnsie he was one of us, there surely wouldnt be an argument regarding a minutes applause.

DoonTheSlope
27-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Tragic news I knew Wattie well and travelled to many games with him and Willie McEwan (who is deeply shocked at Watties passing).
A gentleman and Hibs legend to many of us.
If only we could win the Scottish Cup this season for the auld yin!

cannastar
27-10-2009, 09:39 AM
RIP Wattie one in a million.:flag:

Boris
27-10-2009, 09:47 AM
A Hibs legend gone. First came across Wattie in the early 70's at an away game. Can't mind who it was against but we'd played Aston Villa in a friendly at Easter Roads a few days earlier & Wattie was pointed out because somebody said it was the first Hibs home game he'd missed since the early 50's. As I recall it I think it had been his Dad had died. Saw some posts earlier saying Wattie's Hibs watching went back to about 1954 but it went back a lot earlier than that. The only real "gap" in him following the club that was his life was when as a young lad he contracted TB & was sent to a clinic in switzerland I think it was to recover.

I loved talking to Wattie about the old days & often picked his brain when I was involved with the Historical Trust because Wattie could recall virtually every game he's ever watched in detail including scorers, line-ups, the lot. I loved wynding him up about Gordon Smith cos it was like a red rag to a bull if you dared suggest any other Hibs player could come near him!

In recent months I've travelled with Wattie by car to a good few games & although I could see he was ill & struggling a bit I just never saw the call coming yesterday that he'd passed away. Its only a couple of weeks ago that he got big Frank to run him to the passport office to get his passport renewed in plenty time for next season cos Yogi was taking the club into Europe!

A favourite memory of Wattie is 3 or 4 years back at the Southern Branch's 50th anniversary dinner at the Corn Exchange. Star turn was Wattie getting up on the mike to sing a cracking song from the 50's - verse after verse that basically set out player by player how Scotland's international woes could be sorted out by playing the Hibs team & changing the colours from blue to green! Pure magic!

A "Gordon Smith salute" to you auld yin - a pleasure, a priviledge and an honour to have known you. Just hope they've got plenty rum up there!!!

spudhib
27-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Known Wattie since i was a nipper when my dad used to take me to the Hibs club he just lived for the hibees and thoughts go out to close friends and Family.RIP Wattie.

Broken Gnome
27-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Did he use walking aids by any chance? Row HH in the West Upper?

mim
27-10-2009, 10:41 AM
R.I.P. Wattie.

grievsie
27-10-2009, 10:42 AM
spent many a great night with his stories from the past and his rendition of a few hibs songs, and his own. (those who know him well will ken what i mean). Looked efter my laddie at the away games years ago. A true and loyal hibs fan, a real legend.
(glory glory wattie - Colin & Karen)

Baldy
27-10-2009, 10:55 AM
devastating news,

I just can't think of the words that would be fitting of the great man.

I had so much respect I had for him, he would always take time to speak to everyone about his love of Hibs.

I remember seeing him with Dougan and Brockie at Dover on their way to Austria for a pre-season match after Dougan had got stuck in traffic and missed their plane, Dougan was buying an atlas of Europe so he could find his way .. the atlas was tiny and Wattie couldn't stop laughing and told me "look at the size of him and he buys the smallest bloody map"

his banter was briliant, said it as he saw it.

RIP

Cropley10
27-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Did he use walking aids by any chance? Row HH in the West Upper?

That's him Ritchie...

Toaods
27-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Whilrt agreeing with the comment posted earlier by Burnsie regarding a mark of respect, I cant see officialdom anywhere keen to have such tributes for suppnrters so I suggest why dont we as a support recognise his passing by having our own minutes applause at KO regardless.

Steven_R_hfc
27-10-2009, 01:04 PM
was very hurt when i read this post last night.
i knew wattie farely well because of my dad. he used to give me a wee pound eery home game i seen him.
and i'll never forget the stories he told me of my dad at brockvale when my old boy was shreading into alex miller for the whole 90 minutes.

and wattie missed 2 games, the first one was when he was younger and it was against aston villa in a friendly, he missed it due to him fathers burial which was on the saturday afternoon of Hibs Vs Aston Villa

RIP in wattie
will be sadly missed all over the globe, and exspecially on saturday in the hibs club just sitting 2 meters from the bar.

Broken Gnome
27-10-2009, 01:04 PM
That's him Ritchie...

He was sat two seats to the right of me then. Sad, never spoke to him as such but had the air of a nice popular man about him.

MB62
27-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Whilrt agreeing with the comment posted earlier by Burnsie regarding a mark of respect, I cant see officialdom anywhere keen to have such tributes for suppnrters so I suggest why dont we as a support recognise his passing by having our own minutes applause at KO regardless.

That is probably right Toaods. Clubs are happy to have minutes silence/applause for all sorts of official people, Princess Diana, the Pope etc, but without being disrespectful to them, at a football match, I find it entirely more appropriate for this show of respect for one of our very own who dedicated a whole life to supporting the club.

Maybe we could get one of his close friends to blow a whistle at 2.55pm and everyone who wishes can give their minutes applause.
We also have another thread about another life long Hibby passing away this week and it would maybe be a nice touch to show our respect to both.

SunnyLeither
27-10-2009, 03:06 PM
R.I.P. Wattie - a well kent face sadly missed

brog
27-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm devastated, just logged in from madrid & got this awful news. I've known Wattie for more than 40 years, he was a truly great man. I love the idea of spontaneous applause. I tell you what, knowing the Dons fans great travelling support I bet they would join in.
Wattie's party piece as mentioned above was to sing a song about the Famous 5 team, to the tune of Galway Bay. The first verse is,

I'll go back again to dear old Glasgow,
even tho I have to walk it all the way,
Just to see again the Hibs defeat the Rangers
and to show these Glasgow people how to play

The best tribute for Wattie would be for us to win the Scottish!

hibbybrian
27-10-2009, 03:39 PM
That is probably right Toaods. Clubs are happy to have minutes silence/applause for all sorts of official people, Princess Diana, the Pope etc, but without being disrespectful to them, at a football match, I find it entirely more appropriate for this show of respect for one of our very own who dedicated a whole life to supporting the club.

Maybe we could get one of his close friends to blow a whistle at 2.55pm and everyone who wishes can give their minutes applause.
We also have another thread about another life long Hibby passing away this week and it would maybe be a nice touch to show our respect to both.

Why not get in touch with Jamesie who does the Evening News items on Hibs and ask if they could print a piece on a Hibby who only missed 1 home game since 1954 - they would surely put it in the paper and you could mention a minutes applause whilst the teams were warming up :wink:

Stantons Angel
27-10-2009, 05:26 PM
A tribute to Walter:
just to let you all know that there will be a small tribute to the great man and another good Hibby in Saturdays programme.
RIP Walter::agree:

ALANSIMPSON1
27-10-2009, 05:51 PM
We will miss you Wattie you were a great gentleman

Alan & Jane

Cod Boy
27-10-2009, 06:02 PM
god bless you wattie

isac rudvic
27-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I was in Ireland in 2005 with Wattie, big Frank and Davy,
Had a great laugh, magic guy! will be missed big time in the club!
R.I.P. big Andy

invisible man
27-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Wattie and I used to have a bit banter about Clayton Donaldson, surprisingly enough for a man who's seen some of the finest players ever to wear the green, Wattie rated him!

R.I.P Wattie

Toaods
27-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Why not get in touch with Jamesie who does the Evening News items on Hibs and ask if they could print a piece on a Hibby who only missed 1 home game since 1954 - they would surely put it in the paper and you could mention a minutes applause whilst the teams were warming up :wink:

or why don't we wait until the match clock at the South Stand turns to 7 (minutes) and we just do one mega clap for the memory of Wattie and all other Hibby no longer with us. The official HIBEES remembrance tribute

ALANSIMPSON1
27-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm devastated, just logged in from madrid & got this awful news. I've known Wattie for more than 40 years, he was a truly great man. I love the idea of spontaneous applause. I tell you what, knowing the Dons fans great travelling support I bet they would join in.
Wattie's party piece as mentioned above was to sing a song about the Famous 5 team, to the tune of Galway Bay. The first verse is,

I'll go back again to dear old Glasgow,
even tho I have to walk it all the way,
Just to see again the Hibs defeat the Rangers
and to show these Glasgow people how to play

The best tribute for Wattie would be for us to win the Scottish!

Do you have the rest of the verses please as i am putting something together.

Ta

Alan

big-mo
27-10-2009, 07:47 PM
For those that were asking about the details of Wattie Robb’s funeral, the details are as follows:-

Service at Mortonhall at 2pm next Tuesday 3rd November, followed by a burial in Mortonhall graveyard at 2:45.

There will be a retrial collection to honour Wattie’s memory and all monies collected will be handed over to the Hibs Youth Fund.

Anyone who wishes to make a donation but can not make it to the ceremony can forward any contributions to the Supporters Club in Sunnyside clearly marked ‘Wattie Robb Memorial Fund’.

All friends will be welcomed back at the supporter’s clubroom following the funeral.

big-mo
27-10-2009, 07:49 PM
For those that were asking about Wattie Robb’s funeral, the details are as follows:-

Service at Mortonhall at 2pm next Tuesday 3rd November, followed by a burial in Mortonhall graveyard at 2:45.

There will be a retrial collection to honour Wattie’s memory and all monies collected will be handed over to the Hibs Youth Fund.

Anyone who wishes to make a donation but can't make it to the ceremony can forward any contributions to the Supporters Club in Sunnyside clearly marked ‘Wattie Robb Memorial Fund’.

All friends will be welcomed back at the supporter’s clubroom following the funeral.

soupy
27-10-2009, 07:51 PM
RIP Wattie

Had agood few beers wi him in Elfsborg too,,,RIP mate...

MB62
28-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Not trying to pick you up on a slip of the keyboard, but I remember 07 years ago when I was waiting to go in for my heart operation, I received a letter from the surgeon's secretary. It said that ' Due to the RETRIAL of Mr Cameron (I think) my new surgeon will now be Mr X (can't remember his name).
My immediate reaction was 'what the EFF has this guy been up to, and thank EFF he's not operating on me'

It took me a couple of re-reads to realise it was a typo and the guy had merely RETIRED and was not actually back up in court. :greengrin

brog
28-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Do you have the rest of the verses please as i am putting something together.

Ta

Alan

I'm afraid not, I know bits & pieces but not enough. Maybe Willie McEwan, who heard Wattie sing it even more than me, or Frank Dougan, could help. I'm sure the song was written in the 50's as it has a lovely, innocent, old-fashioned feel to the lyrics.
If more comes to me I'll pm you.

Baldy Foghorn
28-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm afraid not, I know bits & pieces but not enough. Maybe Willie McEwan, who heard Wattie sing it even more than me, or Frank Dougan, could help. I'm sure the song was written in the 50's as it has a lovely, innocent, old-fashioned feel to the lyrics.
If more comes to me I'll pm you.

The song lyrics are framed and hanging on a wall in the Hibs Club bar.........

hibbymac
28-10-2009, 01:08 PM
"

Thecat23
28-10-2009, 01:27 PM
After reading through all these posts the idea of having a minutes appluse i think is a great idea. 1 game missed in all those years. Lets be honest here, if fans were regarded the same as Hibs Legends this guy would be up with the famous five.

Like i said in another post i never knew him but would gladly stand and applaud a man who really was Hibs through and through.

brog
28-10-2009, 02:24 PM
The song lyrics are framed and hanging on a wall in the Hibs Club bar.........

Excellent!! I've actually found a hard copy as well. Wattie wrote them out for me a few years back & we included the song in an issue of the London Hibs fanzine. Alan, if you want them, pm me & I can fax/email to you.

Gala Foxes
28-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Met him for the first time at a pre-season friendly in Forres in 1986, (Kirkwood , Beedie etc made their debuts) - in a bar on the Saturday night after the game had a good chat & sing song with him before us "then youngsters" headed off to a disco at RAF Kinloss - not one of our brighter moves.

As loyal a Hi-bee as they come - a credit to the club

hibbill2002
28-10-2009, 09:29 PM
RIP Wattie

Yogi

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Didn't know Mr Robb, but it is always sad to see a good Hibby go.

It would be great if there was some sort of mark of respect from the club, even if it is only an announcement at half time over the tannoy.

RIP

Margaret Todd
30-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Watty was a great guy, always got on at me about Gordon Rae long time ago like but always went there. Will miss you.

:flag::flag:

MUSSI LEE
30-10-2009, 07:08 PM
rip

Bostonhibby
30-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Been following this one with interest and admiration, Never had the pleasure of meeting Wattie but cannae be far off being one of the biggest Hibbies of his era. Something to aspire to.RIP

Riordans Boots
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Wattie devoted his life to Hibees ......

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Wattie-devoted-his-life-to.5788976.jp

Very moving article.

big-mo
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
The funeral was also covered on the STV news at 6 but unfortunately they only have the local weegie news on their STV player.

There was an excellent turnout at the funeral; the club were well represented with board members, Yogi and Ian Murray as well as back-room staff all attending. Also a good number of former players including Pat Stanton.

Cropley10
03-11-2009, 09:30 PM
The funeral was also covered on the STV news at 6 but unfortunately they only have the local weegie news on their STV player.

There was an excellent turnout at the funeral; the club were well represented with board members, Yogi and Ian Murray as well as back-room staff all attending. Also a good number of former players including Pat Stanton.

Thanks Mo. That's good to hear.

It was very strange seeing his seat empty on Saturday, but I had no doubt, even as the game wore on, that we'd score and win. Wattie and Laurie Riley both shared the same opinion of our first goalscorer I believe, but I'm sure he was still cheering Up There!

big-mo
03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.4th-edge.co.uk/images/Wattie%20Robb.jpg

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Great send off for a great hibs man......

Well represented by the Club, and great to see so much hibs colours being worn.........

God Bless you Wattie xx

OtterHibee
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM

http://news.stv.tv/video/edinburgh-east/stv-news-local-east-20091103/ The report is about 4.18 minutes in.

Despite not having had the pleasure of meeting Mr Robb, I, as I'm certain many others will have been, have been left truly humbled after reading through the thoughts and memories of all who knew and loved him. It is also wonderful to hear of the club showing such respect for one of its finest. A thoroughly inspirational Hibernian supporter by definition.

Rest in peace, Sir.

Big90inOz
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Remember Wattie well from 23 yrs at the Hibs club where he appeared to be a permenent fixture, use to see him at the away games as well.

R.I.P

brog
04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Glad Wattie had such a fine send off & London Hibs send their best wishes to Wattie's brother Alan & all Wattie's many friends. We also made a contribution to Hibs Youth in Wattie's name & I can think of no better way to remember this great man & my friend for over 40 years.
Wattie leaves a big gap in many people's lives.

Bunter
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
A truly great send off yesterday for a truly great Hibby.

Love you, Wattie.

The wee man says, "Cheerio." x

Riordans Boots
04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
http://news.stv.tv/video/edinburgh-east/stv-news-local-east-20091103/ The report is about 4.18 minutes in.

Despite not having had the pleasure of meeting Mr Robb, I, as I'm certain many others will have been, have been left truly humbled after reading through the thoughts and memories of all who knew and loved him. It is also wonderful to hear of the club showing such respect for one of its finest. A thoroughly inspirational Hibernian supporter by definition.

Rest in peace, Sir.

Even though I never met Wattie, I have been humbled reading this thread about such a popular and well respected man. And sad as it is, he got the send off fit for a king.
God love him.

Stantons Angel
04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Just want to say thank you to all of Watties friends who organised his farewell. The man would have loved it, all the green and white and the many many friends and family turning out to honour him.

Well done in giving him a magnificent farewell and leaving all of us with an everlasting memory of a truly lovely man.

Luv you and will miss you mucho........:bye: