PDA

View Full Version : English view of Old Firm

crewetollhibee
26-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Cracking piece by Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail today re the gruesome twosome moving to England. Sorry, can't post it but worth checking out !!:wink:

--------
26-10-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1222939/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Rangers-Celtics-barbaric-Old-Firm-bigotry-thing-need-here.html

The headline says it all - "Rangers and Celtic's barbaric Old Firm bigotry is last thing we need down here..."

And I imagine this was written before Mr Samuel and the EPL were made aware of the Huns' present financial embarrassments.

Barbaric - good word, that. :agree:

Broken Gnome
26-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Ruined by the tiresome 'League of Wales' prediction....

Haymaker
26-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Typical comments afterwards as well!

Part/Time Supporter
26-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Ruined by the tiresome 'League of Wales' prediction....

Motherwell lost the first leg of their tie with a Welsh team this summer

:duck:

It would become a League of Wales / Ireland / N.Ireland scenario if there was no prospect of the other Scottish clubs being able to progress. If there has to be reform it should be for everyone's benefit, not just those two bloodsuckers.

Broken Gnome
26-10-2009, 11:51 AM

It would become a League of Wales / Ireland / N.Ireland scenario if there was no prospect of the other Scottish clubs being able to progress. If there has to be reform it should be for everyone's benefit, not just those two bloodsuckers.

I've just always thought there was comfortably enough football participation - both in number of supporters and potential talent of player - to ensure that would never be the case. I don't see any games in Wales or Ireland capable of filling a near 20,000 seater stadium, nor a very sizeable proportion of games that would attract five-figure corwds.

Tomsk
26-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I'll be using this line ...

And what would the English league get in return? Lousy teams with big support at first. The same logic would instantly reinstate Newcastle United or Leeds United without going through the bother of promotion.

Spot on.

--------
26-10-2009, 11:56 AM

:agree: The SPL has to be run as a League selling itself (the League and the game of football) as the product, not as it is right now, for the benefit of the two biggest teams.

Unfortunately, that would require the OF to act with a degree of unselfishness hitherto unrecorded in their history.

It would require the non-OF teams being allowed a reasonable share of the football market in Scotland in the future, with financial rules in place to assist them in the development of young talent for their OWN benefit rather than for the benefit of the Vampire Twins.

It would also require their fans to get the idea into their thick skulls that a league where other teams win things once in a while is a healthy league.

Leithenhibby
26-10-2009, 12:08 PM
This article was a good wee read, but it has got to be said (as far as I'm concerned) NO happening, not in a million years would the EPL want all that additional nonsense.

If truth be told I wish we had a stronger hertz, aberdeen and dundee utd, along with the famous Hi-bees we would give those bigots the fright of their life's this season..:agree:

Hainan Hibs
26-10-2009, 12:12 PM
To be honest I thought the article was crap, the usual "how glorious is our league compared to scotlands" crap that gets brought out from time to time. Wasted a few minutes of my life I won't be getting back.

Franck is God
26-10-2009, 12:31 PM
To be honest I thought the article was crap, the usual "how glorious is our league compared to scotlands" crap that get brought out from time to time. Wasted a few minutes of my life I won't be getting back.

Have to agree with this.

Apart from his description of the Old Firm which was fairly accurate his thoughts of Scottish football were typical of someone who has read someone else's opinion and looked at a league table for the last few years.

The Premiership is a superior league to the SPL and probably to most leagues around the world but they have their fair share of dross too and realistically there are only two or three teams that could win it.

Tinyclothes
26-10-2009, 12:56 PM
The EPL is a pantomime.

Phil D. Rolls
26-10-2009, 12:57 PM
The EPL is a pantomime.

Oh no it isn't!

crewetollhibee
26-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Have to agree with this.

Apart from his description of the Old Firm which was fairly accurate his thoughts of Scottish football were typical of someone who has read someone else's opinion and looked at a league table for the last few years.

The Premiership is a superior league to the SPL and probably to most leagues around the world but they have their fair share of dross too and realistically there are only two or three teams that could win it.
As the OP I agree with you. The point of my post was to show how the OF are perceived by probably, IMHO, the best sportswriter around. A strong Little Engurland slant, true !!

GordonR
26-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Cracking piece by Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail today re the gruesome twosome moving to England. Sorry, can't post it but worth checking out !!:wink:

:rolleyes::bitchy::bitchy:

FFS, it's got a blatant anti-Scotland remark in the first paragraph, and the rest of the article just takes its cues from there.

It's not anti-OF, it's anti-Scottish all over, just using the OF to tar us with the same brush.

Typical Daily Mail stuff, pandering to the prejudices of its readership.

Bayern Bru
26-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Daily Mail in slagging off foreigners shock. :wink:

Bostonhibby
26-10-2009, 02:11 PM
The unwashed and their unwashed hordes make a big thing of it up North but down here the story isn't much of a story amongst the fans, whatever these "giants" think of themselves. In English terms its a bit like talking about what might happen should West Brom, Leeds or Leicester come up to the EPL, big city clubs, big fan base and might add something to the league but when you look at the financial state of both clubs, the fact you can't put the average hun anywhere near a can of supermarket lager once he leaves Scotland and you begin to get a feel for why they are not a particularly big draw or story down here. And thats before you factor in the effect of the result the English fans do tend to use as benchmarks, the performances in Europe. The huns in particular, last defeat by Unitedwashingmachinemanufacturesofrumaina FC didn't help much.

Different if the EPL clubs needed the gate money, but most don't and I don't see the unwashed paying huges somes of money to trek longer distances every week when they are regularly being outclassed by Wigan, Burnley and Bolton.

Joe Baker II
26-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Think later column on how article represents everytrhing bad about English football is spot on, have to question your judgement in recommending this pish for others reading to be honest!

crewetollhibee
26-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Think later column on how article represents everytrhing bad about English football is spot on, have to question your judgement in recommending this pish for others reading to be honest!
Was hoping that anyone reading it would do what I did,and cherry-pick the comments on the OF as the bits worth reading. I have read Martin Samuel for years and TBH it's the first time he has been dismissive of the SPL (or at least that strongly). GGTTH.

Moody Mulder
26-10-2009, 04:34 PM
the dutch fa and feyenoord fc have both come out in the last 10 days to deny ever suggesting they were ready to start up an atlantic league, they also had a go at scottish sports reporters who made up this rubbish

therealgavmac
26-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh no it isn't!

:faf::thumbsup:

basehibby
26-10-2009, 05:17 PM

I think it's an interesting read even if it has a bit of a "sunshinesoottheerseoftheEPL" slant to it - because that POV is an entirely acurate representation of how the English as a whole view themselves.

And as such it provides (for me anyway) a pretty good insight into how the vast majority of the english football community would view any possible introduction of the OF to their setup - ie - "you must be *******n joking jock!" - especially if said introduction would involve anything other than them starting off in the Blue Square Premier and working their way up.

One particularly good point made highlights the nonsensical idea that just because the OF have a big following they should jump the queue into the EPL or EPL2. The guy makes the undeniable point that if that were the case then Newcastle and Leeds Utd for example should just be allowed up as well without having to earn the right to promotion. He also highlights the entirely understandable antipathy that most down south would have towards the backwards bigotry made into an artform over the years by the followers of the Gruesome Twosome.

ancient hibee
26-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I think it's an interesting read even if it has a bit of a "sunshinesoottheerseoftheEPL" slant to it - because that POV is an entirely acurate representation of how the English as a whole view themselves.

And as such it provides (for me anyway) a pretty good insight into how the vast majority of the english football community would view any possible introduction of the OF to their setup - ie - "you must be *******n joking jock!" - especially if said introduction would involve anything other than them starting off in the Blue Square Premier and working their way up.

One particularly good point made highlights the nonsensical idea that just because the OF have a big following they should jump the queue into the EPL or EPL2. The guy makes the undeniable point that if that were the case then Newcastle and Leeds Utd for example should just be allowed up as well without having to earn the right to promotion. He also highlights the entirely understandable antipathy that most down south would have towards the backwards bigotry made into an artform over the years by the followers of the Gruesome Twosome.
Unlike the playful friendliness on show at EPL grounds where they sing nice folk songs about plane crashes,stadium disasters and sexual orientation.

basehibby
26-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Unlike the playful friendliness on show at EPL grounds where they sing nice folk songs about plane crashes,stadium disasters and sexual orientation.

Exactly the point he makes - they already have enough **** of their own without adding the OF into the mix.
On re-reading, my post misrepresents the fears expressed in the article that having the OF join the EPL party would see a new generation of English ******s buying into their filth.
Either way they have little need of it.

Allant1981
27-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Rangers were a sectarian club for over 100 years, we have nothing in common with Rangers other than playing in the same country and the same league.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1222939/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Rangers-Celtics-barbaric-Old-Firm-bigotry-thing-need-here.html#ixzz0V7B4HZP2 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1222939/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Rangers-Celtics-barbaric-Old-Firm-bigotry-thing-need-here.html#ixzz0V7B4HZP2)

Just a wee quote from some idiot celtic fan. I wonder if this guy has actually ever been inside parkheid

Steve-O
27-10-2009, 06:46 AM
The unwashed and their unwashed hordes make a big thing of it up North but down here the story isn't much of a story amongst the fans, whatever these "giants" think of themselves. In English terms its a bit like talking about what might happen should West Brom, Leeds or Leicester come up to the EPL, big city clubs, big fan base and might add something to the league but when you look at the financial state of both clubs, the fact you can't put the average hun anywhere near a can of supermarket lager once he leaves Scotland and you begin to get a feel for why they are not a particularly big draw or story down here. And thats before you factor in the effect of the result the English fans do tend to use as benchmarks, the performances in Europe. The huns in particular, last defeat by Unitedwashingmachinemanufacturesofrumaina FC didn't help much.

Different if the EPL clubs needed the gate money, but most don't and I don't see the unwashed paying huges somes of money to trek longer distances every week when they are regularly being outclassed by Wigan, Burnley and Bolton.

Indeed. The amount of delusion amongst the OF and their fans on this subject is simply laughable.

This stuff about how they somehow 'deserve' to be in the bigger league just because they are big clubs?? What a load of pish!

What they need to do is start trying to bring through their own players and forget the days of buying anybody and everybody from other teams.

Realistically they should have the resources to produce much better talent than they have over the years and they've nobody but themselves to blame for this supposed predicament they find themselves in.

We'll just see how this season ends up considering that we have the most level playing field that we have had in a while. Then we'll see just how 'non competitive' this league is.

The_Todd
27-10-2009, 08:58 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1222939/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Rangers-Celtics-barbaric-Old-Firm-bigotry-thing-need-here.html

The headline says it all - "Rangers and Celtic's barbaric Old Firm bigotry is last thing we need down here..."

And I imagine this was written before Mr Samuel and the EPL were made aware of the Huns' present financial embarrassments.

Barbaric - good word, that. :agree:

That's some headline considering the source.

Hibs Giant
27-10-2009, 01:39 PM
The OF will not leave the SPL. The End.