PDA

View Full Version : Fletch update

cockneymike
26-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I saw that Fletch scored for Burnley at the weekend, and it seems that he is beginning to get going for them - he's now scored twice in the league this month, plus 3 in the carling cup; but they were playing him at right wing !!!! to begin with. No wonder he was struggling.

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/loadrprt.asp?cid=MTCH&id=469644

At the end of the day, I wish good luck; but I'd still rather have stokes, benji et al.

Andy74
26-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I had to rewind it and watch it again to be sure of what I was seeing.

It was identical to 3 or 4 he missed for us last year when he slid in at the back and went for it was his left foot, completlely missing it on each occassion. He actually knocked it in with his right this time, albeit off the bar first.

I have to say I think he was p1ssing about for his last year or so here, he certainly didn't look like an EPL striker. He looks a bit more rounded now and it seems down to effort.

frazeHFC
26-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I was talking to a Burnley fan a few weeks ago before he had scored any league goals, he has some in the cup, and he said all their fans love him, "his vison and work rate is fantastic" was his words, well done Fletch

bingo70
26-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I had to rewind it and watch it again to be sure of what I was seeing.

It was identical to 3 or 4 he missed for us last year when he slid in at the back and went for it was his left foot, completlely missing it on each occassion. He actually knocked it in with his right this time, albeit off the bar first.

I have to say I think he was p1ssing about for his last year or so here, he certainly didn't look like an EPL striker. He looks a bit more rounded now and it seems down to effort.

Think you've got to take into consideration the style of football we were playing last season, Fletch didn't have a great season last year but i don't think it was down to effort, more to do with having to drop so deep to try and get the ball as we had no midfield, he also appeared to struggle with confidence in front of goal.

I don't think Benji or Stokes would have done better than Fletch did for us last season, although both are better finishers.

Andy74
26-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Think you've got to take into consideration the style of football we were playing last season, Fletch didn't have a great season last year but i don't think it was down to effort, more to do with having to drop so deep to try and get the ball as we had no midfield, he also appeared to struggle with confidence in front of goal.

I don't think Benji or Stokes would have done better than Fletch did for us last season, although both are better finishers.

I'm taking that into consideration.

He had several one on ones at important times and several chances to knock balls in at the far post.

I don't think he gave that much of a toss last year to be making sure he was sharp enough to put them away.

He seems a bit more focused on his finishing now that he feels he has got away from this level of football. It did bother me that he was looking to move up yet he wasn't looking like he was a level above us like others have done.

--------
26-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Difference this season is he's trying. :agree:

HibbyAndy
26-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Why would any manager play him on the right when he only has a left foot?:confused:

--------
26-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Why would any manager play him on the right when he only has a left foot?:confused:

To FORCE him to use the right one?

To confuse the full-back?

Cos he's stupid?

bingo70
26-10-2009, 10:32 AM

So he can come in on the inside and get shots away on his stronger foot, also inswinging crosses can be a lot more dangerous.

I agree that was never going to suit his game, however i can see Coyles logic though.

Mag7
26-10-2009, 10:32 AM
It always surprised me just how reluctant he was to try anything with his right foot, although given that he almost missed that chance on Saturday I guess I can see why.

Broken Gnome
26-10-2009, 10:47 AM
He DID 'try' last season - though he let himself down with some ridiculous decision making when he should have scored double the number of goals he did. It would be a bit selective to suggest he didn't contribute hugely to our better moments in other ways, particularly the 2-0 Celtic game.

I reckon last season will eventually benefit Flecther's game in a strange way, he's a strong, athletic, physical guy now who can put himself about. If he can prove capable of scoring semi-regularly in the Premiership then he should be a stick on to be Scotland's lone striker whenever they use one.

Franck is God
26-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I spent all last season defending Fletch as our best player by a mile and would have loved Yogi to have had a season as his manager but unfortunately it was not to be.

He is developing well and even if Burnley don't stay up he will still be a Premiership striker next year and they will make a healthy profit from his sale.

I am very happy with our strike force this season but we don't have anyone nearly as good as Fletch at the club,

jiggerman
26-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I was at the game at the weekend (and had a cheeky 2 quid on Fletch for 1st scorer:thumbsup:) and I saw a great improvement in him.

My two mates were also impressed (having not been hugely impressed by him at Hibs). Key points to note:

1. His workrate was fantastic - up front on his won and covered unbelievable amount of ground, putting in useful blocks and pressing Wigan back.

2. His touch and hold up play really were good - better than when he was at Hibs. I can only think of a couple of occasions where he weas beaten to a ball by the CH.

3. His link up play was excellent - see backheeled thorugh ball to Eagles in the first half.

4. He was getting in dangerous positions in the box, but rarely receiving the delivery.

5. HE STILL DOESNT HAVE A RIGHT FOOT! Although I would concede he has more of one than he used to.....

My mates and I agreed, if Burnley did go back down, he would be the most likely one to stay in the Prem.

Good to see he is surviving.

J

hibsbollah
26-10-2009, 07:17 PM

He's now scored 2 with his right this season and smashed a beauty in from 20 yards with his right that was wrongly chalked off for offside. Strange:confused: