PDA

View Full Version : NHC 3 Point Question

jpt11
25-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Given that it's been a while since scotland have qualified for a major final in such a long time. Got me thinking....

Could it be connected to 3 points for a win? Maybe before all we did was frustrate teams and get a draw, which obviously in a 2 points for a win setup isn't too bad. does anyone know when 3 points for a win came in?

Hibercelona
25-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Given that it's been a while since scotland have qualified for a major final in such a long time. Got me thinking....

Could it be connected to 3 points for a win? Maybe before all we did was frustrate teams and get a draw, which obviously in a 2 points for a win setup isn't too bad. does anyone know when 3 points for a win came in?

I think it came in about mid 90's.

As for the effect it has on Scotland...

We should have qualified many times, but its our own fault for losing to teams that we should be mopping the floor with.

BEEJ
25-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Might have had an effect.

But the most commonly held view on the reason for Scotland's more recent record of non-qualification for major tournaments is that it's due to:

The break-up of the Soviet Union (and then Yugoslavia) into a myriad of eastern European nations, each one with more skillful players and a better footballing set-up than Scotland.