PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Resident Falkirk Fans Re. Kevin McBride

500miles
25-10-2009, 03:55 PM
How did you feel about Kevin McBride before his comments in the press?

He's been simply outstanding for us this season, and justified every bit of praise Yogi has given him. True, he seems like a firey character - the first to stick a rocket up anyone who he doesn't think is pulling their weight, and even to make things clear to Yogi when he feels he's being unjustly criticised.(Fortunately Yogi is the sort of guy who is doesn't feel threatened by that sort of behaviour).

I did notice, however, that next to Cregg, whos talents lie, primarily, in breaking up play and getting in the faces of the opposition, the role McBride plays doesn't become quite so necassary. I prefer the role McBride plays, as it allows guys like Bamba, Wotherspoon and Murray to burst into more attacking areas, without our defence losing its shape, and forcing the opposition out of thier structure.In a Hibs context, Cregg plays the "Matty Jack" role, and McBride has had comparisons with Pat Stanton (before my time, but I get the general idea.). Perhaps it is the case that the two types of player struggle to play as a partnership?

What are the honest views of Falkirk fans? (And indeed our own fans?)

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2009, 04:52 PM
IMHO there is no comparison to Stanton, two very differet types. Pat would take the ball and glide forward, he'd be in the oppositions box scoring headers, he could also play centre back. McBride does the dirty part of the game, he breaks play up, and gives the ball to those who can do the things he cant. Thats not to say he cant play. Cregg is imho a squad player, one who wont get much pitch time if everyone is fit, but better than our usual squad player from the last 2 or 3 years.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Next captain.

FACT.

Sammy7nil
25-10-2009, 09:00 PM
McBride is okay.

A water carrier gives the ball to those that can as he cant. Bit af a Brian Hamilton in his later days at Hibs.
He has been good overall but at the sametime he can have a howler.

He is doing fine just keep it simple

HibbyAndy
25-10-2009, 09:05 PM
There's very few players that WANT the ball.

KM is doing fine, he's got the lot.

WindyMiller
25-10-2009, 09:09 PM
How did you feel about Kevin McBride before his comments in the press?

He's been simply outstanding for us this season, and justified every bit of praise Yogi has given him. True, he seems like a firey character - the first to stick a rocket up anyone who he doesn't think is pulling their weight, and even to make things clear to Yogi when he feels he's being unjustly criticised.(Fortunately Yogi is the sort of guy who is doesn't feel threatened by that sort of behaviour).

I did notice, however, that next to Cregg, whos talents lie, primarily, in breaking up play and getting in the faces of the opposition, the role McBride plays doesn't become quite so necassary. I prefer the role McBride plays, as it allows guys like Bamba, Wotherspoon and Murray to burst into more attacking areas, without our defence losing its shape, and forcing the opposition out of thier structure.In a Hibs context, Cregg plays the "Matty Jack" role, and McBride has had comparisons with Pat Stanton (before my time, but I get the general idea.). Perhaps it is the case that the two types of player struggle to play as a partnership?

What are the honest views of Falkirk fans? (And indeed our own fans?)

Perhaps in the physique and running style, but Pat would get forward much more.
I could see Mcbride as a future captain though.

monktonharp
25-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Perhaps in the physique and running style, but Pat would get forward much more.
I could see Mcbride as a future captain though.Erm,let's just put these comparisons with sir Patrick to bed now.the laddie has done pretty well imho,despite all the guff that Falkirk fans gave us. Kevin Mc Hide etc. He's done ok. but no comparison please with Paddy,he couldnae lace his bits,and naebody in the SPL could at this present time:bitchy:

Ed De Gramo
25-10-2009, 09:24 PM
McBride is okay.

A water carrier gives the ball to those that can as he cant. Bit af a Brian Hamilton in his later days at Hibs.
He has been good overall but at the sametime he can have a howler.

Better than that IMO

Think he's been fantastic in the middle :agree:

He's making a great partnership with Liam as well :thumbsup:

ANDY McGEECHAN
25-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Erm,let's just put these comparisons with sir Patrick to bed now.the laddie has done pretty well imho,despite all the guff that Falkirk fans gave us. Kevin Mc Hide etc. He's done ok. but no comparison please with Paddy,he couldnae lace his bits,and naebody in the SPL could at this present time:bitchy:

Never has a truer word been spoken. :top marks

GC
25-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Good start to life at Hibs for him, pleased that we signed him.

It's because of him that Zouma and Miller are able to impose themselves on matches.

Never the next captain of Hibs though in my opinion and I never had the fortune to see Stanton play in the flesh but I would suggest that he's not in the same league as him, which does not necessarily mean he is anywhere near a bad footballer, just not to the level of Pat Stanton.

monktonharp
25-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Good start to life at Hibs for him, pleased that we signed him.

It's because of him that Zouma and Miller are able to impose themselves on matches.

Never the next captain of Hibs though in my opinion and I never had the fortune to see Stanton play in the flesh but I would suggest that he's not in the same league as him, which does not necessarily mean he is anywhere near a bad footballer, just not to the level of Pat Stanton.:agree:well said that man.no comparison,and it would be unfair to young McBride to do that,whether it's against Paddy or any of the McBrides that have served Hibernian in the past.He's just in the door,and doing better than most expected,given all the keek that Bairns fans talked aboot.:grr:he's no a bad player ata' and could turn out to be a guid yin

lucky
25-10-2009, 10:41 PM
For me as I have said in another thread he has been Hibs player of the year so far.

oldbutdim
25-10-2009, 11:42 PM
McBride is okay.

A water carrier gives the ball to those that can as he cant. Bit af a Brian Hamilton in his later days at Hibs. He has been good overall but at the sametime he can have a howler.

:grr:

Outrageous.

Big90inOz
26-10-2009, 04:00 AM
It always makes me laugh when posters drag a name up from 30-50 yrs ago and say the present players couldn't lace their boots.
I think many of the modern players would struggle to play in the 50's and 70's sides, But i'm equally positive that players from the 50"s and 70's would struggle badly with the pace of the modern game.

Look at any old footage and the game was played at a much slower pace with players given so much more room.

Septimus
26-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Stanton was one of the few players who played the game with grace and elegance. He never appeared to be hurried and would have fitted into the present day game without any problem. He was, simply, a natural and they don't come along often.

McBride is doing well. Long may it continue.

Kaiser1962
26-10-2009, 06:10 AM
It always makes me laugh when posters drag a name up from 30-50 yrs ago and say the present players couldn't lace their boots.
I think many of the modern players would struggle to play in the 50's and 70's sides, But i'm equally positive that players from the 50"s and 70's would struggle badly with the pace of the modern game.

Look at any old footage and the game was played at a much slower pace with players given so much more room.

I disagree and would suggest that class, true class, and ability are timeless.

greenlex
26-10-2009, 06:46 AM
I hope he stays fit and suspension free. IMO Cregg and Rankin or Stevenson would struggle to fill his boots and consequentially Hibs would struggle. Mon the McBride Fellae.

LancsHibs
26-10-2009, 07:34 AM
It would seem the Bairns are dodging the question:greengrin

zemmamarama
26-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Next captain.

FACT.

Totally agree (well, except for the FACT bit :duck:). I was saying that to my mate at the Killie game last week.

I like how he is in complete control of the area just in front of the box and shouts all the way up the pitch to tell the midfielders/forwards what they should be doing :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
26-10-2009, 07:55 AM
:grr:

Outrageous.

:agree:

McBride rarely gives the ball away - Hammy rarely kept the thing.

O'Rourke3
26-10-2009, 08:16 AM

I used to think that until viewing old footage of the Tornados. Very quick and extremely accurate and lilely to give most teams a contest today - mind you they are all in their 60's.......

hibsbollah
26-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Some footballers just 'fit in' at certain teams where they were total huddies at other teams. Look at Paul Hartley or (at an admittedly higher level) Andy Cole, Tore Andre Flo, or Forlan or Veron at Man U.

McBride just obviously likes Leith, and thought Falkirk was rubbish (and who in their right mind can blame him for that?:cool2:)

Sudds_1
26-10-2009, 08:40 AM

......and I think many of today's players would struggle at the natural ball skills and control of past players. :wink:

....have watched highlights of quite a few 70's games in the past few months and was struck by the state of the pitches back then. In one game (Derby/Chelsea at the old baseball ground) I was left wondering how the heck they managed to even run on that, never mind play passing moves /trap the ball/ etc was quite beyond me.

.must be so easy to play at pace on the bowling green pitches of today......... :wink:

MoantheCabbage
26-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Kevin Mcbride for me has been outstanding this season he does all the spade work no one else wants to do. Every teams needs one of those to let the flair players play and in McBride we have a very very good holding midfielder

MyJo
26-10-2009, 09:53 AM
here you go: [/URL][URL]http://www.onefinfalkirk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20620&p=348994&hilit=we+hate+mcbride#p348994 (http://www.onefinfalkirk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20468)

its not just the falkirk fans that are now looking stupid as there was a large number of posters on here who immediately wrote off McBride as being worse than useless and "the new brian kerr" within hours of him signing never mind kicking a ball for us.

bigl
27-10-2009, 03:28 PM
It just goes to show you should never judge a book by it's cover.Kevin McBride is, and will continue to be, a right good player for the Hibees.In the eyes of the Hibs support Pat Stanton is a legend. In the eyes of the Celtic support Jimmy Johnstone is a legend. In the eyes of the Falkirk support Crawford Baptie is a legend.I rest my case.