PDA

View Full Version : Players leaving in January.

Jack
25-10-2009, 11:26 AM
God, we’re so used to our players (and those from other non OF clubs) being plundered by the OF in January, we’re already talking about who!

What's to say with the OF being basically skint and being pumped unceremoniously out of Europe a few of their better players will be looking to get out and the clubs only too happy to accommodate them?

Rangers, in particular, look very vulnerable financially and I fancy will be in the same position as Hahahearts – any semi :cool2: decent offer and the players will be gone.

Celtic wont have the income they expected from the CL, or even the smaller amount from doing well in the Europa, so could well be looking to move on their better (higher value/wage) players to offset that loss of income.

Hibs on the other hand ….. :greengrin

Our position doesn’t only appear to be good but getting better all the time!

hibs0666
25-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I fully expect Hughes to bolster the defence at the next transfer window, and i fear for Hogg's being able to get a regular start in the team thereafter.

In past seasons you would have said that Rantic would have the strength in depth to see them through a season - for the reasons you have mentioned this is no longer true.

Two decent result in the next two games and we can start to look forward to the rest of the season with a barrowload of belief and confidence. :thumbsup:

zlatan
25-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Unless we get offered silly money for someone I don't think anyone will leave in January, it's been the same for the past 2 or 3 January windows.

BEEJ
25-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Unless we get offered silly money for someone I don't think anyone will leave in January, it's been the same for the past 2 or 3 January windows.
I believe that however many players we acquire in January, we will see the same number depart.

So if Barr is a stick-on to arrive via a pre-contract / bid scenario, then we should expect one player to be moving on.

stubru59
25-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I believe that however many players we acquire in January, we will see the same number depart.

So if Barr is a stick-on to arrive via a pre-contract / bid scenario, then we should expect one player to be moving on.

Yes, i would go along with that. Cregg, for example, is only on a 6 month contract.

And, one or two others, who have not been getting their regular "fix", must be wondering if they'd be better taking their chances elsewhere.

Sir David Gray
25-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes, i would go along with that. Cregg, for example, is only on a 6 month contract.

And, one or two others, who have not been getting their regular "fix", must be wondering if they'd be better taking their chances elsewhere.

Cregg signed for two years.

basehibby
25-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Good point this - are there any huns out of contract in the summer that we could get on the cheap in January???

Would probably have to be a promising reserve or something otherwise we couldn't afford the wages - BlueIsTheColour could help us out here - any promising young huns (hunlets???) that Yogi should be pursuing???

Jack
25-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Good point this - are there any huns out of contract in the summer that we could get on the cheap in January???

Would probably have to be a promising reserve or something otherwise we couldn't afford the wages - BlueIsTheColour could help us out here - any promising young huns (hunlets???) that Yogi should be pursuing???

Ha ha! That would be a laugh!

Right Yogi here’s your wind up list. I think we should leak this to the media in the week before Christmas. :devil:

Out of contract at the end of the season;
Kirk Broadfoot
Steven Smith
DaMarcus Beasley
Steven Lennon
Kris Boyd
Nacho Novo

Up and coming youngsters in the current first team squad, not sure about most of their contract end dates;
Jordan McMillan, 21 years old, (not sure about his contract)
Daniel Wilson, 17, (not sure about his contract)
John Fleck, 18, (not sure about his contract)
Steven Lennon, 21.
Andrew Shinnie, 20, (not sure about his contract)
Gregg Wylde, 18.

Borders Hibby
25-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Ha ha! That would be a laugh!

Right Yogi here’s your wind up list. I think we should leak this to the media in the week before Christmas. :devil:

Out of contract at the end of the season;
Kirk Broadfoot
Steven Smith
DaMarcus Beasley
Steven Lennon
Kris Boyd
Nacho Novo

Up and coming youngsters in the current first team squad, not sure about most of their contract end dates;
Jordan McMillan, 21 years old, (not sure about his contract)
Daniel Wilson, 17, (not sure about his contract)
John Fleck, 18, (not sure about his contract)
Steven Lennon, 21.
Andrew Shinnie, 20, (not sure about his contract)
Gregg Wylde, 18.

Apart frm Broadfoot at right back would not want any of them!

Dibben
25-10-2009, 03:58 PM
i'm sure cregg signed for 1 year!

I reckon the likes of Thicot & Stevenson will be on their way to make room in the squad!

BH.

500miles
25-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Looking at the Hun "outs" I'd take Broadfoot at CH. Limited player, but does enough of the basic things right at CH, and has plenty physical presence. Not every player has to be a superstar to be a good team - we only have to look at McBride and Murray for proof of that.

I reckon that Stevenson, Thicot and Rankin won't be happy unless they're getting starts but doubt they will leave in January. Although if any of them do, it'll be Thicot.

jgl07
25-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Cregg signed for two years.
No it was one year.

brydekirk
25-10-2009, 04:10 PM
would take broadfoot back :agree:

500miles
25-10-2009, 04:12 PM
would take broadfoot back :agree:

Funnily enough I was just thinking about his time at Hibs. Baillie made the breakthrough at his expense, and yet injury put an end to his professional career. A great shame.

stubru59
25-10-2009, 04:17 PM
My recollection of the Cregg signing is that he was initially offered a one year deal, and turned it down for a six month deal on the basis that, come January, Hibs would be clamouring to get him on a longer contract.

Hughes, if my memory serves, was happy to go along with that.

Sir David Gray
25-10-2009, 04:24 PM
i'm sure cregg signed for 1 year!

I reckon the likes of Thicot & Stevenson will be on their way to make room in the squad!

BH.

No it was one year.

I was only going on what the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8125368.stm) said at the time of his arrival.

500miles
25-10-2009, 04:28 PM
What's strange now is that we're not pushing players out of the door who could be described as huddies. In fact, I don't think there is one player at Hibs these days who isn't, at the very least, SPL quality. A sign of the times?

TheMentalHibees
25-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Think a CH must be a priority, not just because we don't have enough adequate cover for the position, but because Bamba will be off for the entire month of january with the Ivory Coast. This is the first transfer window in a while where I feel confident that we won't lose players to the OF.

GlesgaeHibby
25-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Broadfoot :bitchy:

Part/Time Supporter
25-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Rankin, other SPL teams will be interested in him.

basehibby
25-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Broadfoot :bitchy:

I reckon Broadfoot would be a good signing - at Centre Half - the fact he has experience playing at RB would be no bad thing though.

big-mo
25-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw one ex-Killie striker out for one coming in. I also think Yogi will have plans in-place for shoring up the defence or at least bolstering it.
I hope McCann get his chance to impress before then otherwise he may also just become a fringe player again. Witherspoon is obviously not a natural RB (as Yogi acknowledged yesterday) but he has made a good fist of it and will only add to his overall game. With Murray at LB and Hanlon as cover I think we are ok there. CBs of Hogg and Bamba has turned out a good paired but no obvious cover other than Thicot. GK looks to have sorted it’s self out for the time being, at least Stack’s performance has got the pundits of our goalies case.

BEEJ
25-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Rankin, other SPL teams will be interested in him.
Or a rejuvenated Benji with a market value might decide to take his chances elsewhere if an opportunity arises. :dunno:

Dibben
25-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Or a rejuvenated Benji with a market value might decide to take his chances elsewhere if an opportunity arises. :dunno:

I'm wondering if Benji may now sign a new deal! He's making noises about being happy again!

BH.

Cocaine&Caviar
25-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I think both Stevenson and McCann would benefit from going out on loan to Div1 to get a run of games, and show Yogi what they can do, especially if other players are coming in...

BEEJ
25-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I was only going on what the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8125368.stm) said at the time of his arrival.
The following from the Evening News on 30 June:

Hughes: Cregg in for long haul at Hibs
Date: 30 June 2009
By DAVID HARDIE

JOHN HUGHES today revealed how new signing Patrick Cregg believes he's in for the long haul at Easter Road despite signing only a one-year contract.

The out-of-contract Falkirk midfielder became Hughes' first signing as he teamed up with his former manager again in Edinburgh, the Hibs boss predicting the Irish star will quickly win himself a new army of fans.

The former Arsenal kid was actually offered a two-year deal by Hughes, a second season dependent on him making a certain number of appearances.

But Cregg turned it down, telling Hughes: "Come Christmas you'll be pulling me into your office wanting to tie me up again."

And that, Hughes insisted, was a measure of the "hunger and determination" burning within the former Bairns midfielder.

The Hibs boss said: "I like things to be incentive-based, I want to keep my players hungry as some get a contract and put the tools away.

"To be fair to Patrick, there was another year for him in terms of appearances made in his first season. But it was Patrick who said to give him a year because he believes that by Christmas I'll be wanting him to sign an extension, he has that hunger and determination in him."

We can't always believe what the BBC says. :wink:

Sir David Gray
25-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Fair enough. I think I actually remember reading that article at the time but whenever I want to find out something, like how long a player has left on his contract, I usually just refer to the player's entry on Wikipedia and then click on any references. In Cregg's case, it was that article from the BBC.

sambajustice
25-10-2009, 07:22 PM
What players and fans need to realise is that we, or any team, needs a squad not just 11 or 12 players. Players who aren't playing just now, Rankin, Cregg will get their chance at some point. Its just at the moment that guys who are in the starting 11 are playing well enough to stay there

Its horses for courses really, maybe against a really anti-football outfit full of 6ft plus cloggers, guys like Zoumer and Benji might be kept on the bench til the 2nd half. What i'm saying basically is some gys are suited to some games but not other games and thats when the squad comes into play.

I would say guys who are not even getting a sniff at the moment will be most likely to leave rather than guys who are around the first XI but not quite getting into the team at the moment.

Cocaine&Caviar
25-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Its horses for courses really, maybe against a really anti-football outfit full of 6ft plus cloggers, guys like Zoumer and Benji might be kept on the bench til the 2nd half. What i'm saying basically is some gys are suited to some games but not other games and thats when the squad comes into play.

We started with Zouma, Deeks, Stokes and Benji against Dundee Utd and Rangers, they dont get much more anti-football than that in terms of physicality.

I agree with what you're saying though, especially as we get into the winter months...

stubru59
25-10-2009, 08:37 PM

I stand corrected in my assumption that he had signed a six month deal.

Still, if him and McBride are only on a one year deal, then presumably they can sign a pre-contract in January for anyone who makes an offer.

scoopyboy
25-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I stand corrected in my assumption that he had signed a six month deal.

Still, if him and McBride are only on a one year deal, then presumably they can sign a pre-contract in January for anyone who makes an offer.

McBride signed a 2 year deal,