PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Signing Policy

Borders Hibby
25-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Great to see how well the new signings are doing, but with a bit of pessimism that soon they will move on. I feel the same but we as a club need to continue to bring through youth and buy in hungry players whose careers have gone off on the wrong path. Nurture them, enjoy them amd sell them for millions to re invest in the infrastructure to the club. In this way we can grow steadily and with little risk.

We should not fear being a selling club, but enjoy the youngsters and journeymen that come our way in our nice new stands and be proud that we are a nurturing club and a stable club.

I think Hughes and Petrie totally agree on this, as did Mowbray, Collins and Mixu coulldnt get their heads round it. So lets enjoy the likes of Miller and Spoony, take the money when it is right and see who comes next! But enjoy them in the meantime. The futures bright.........

Perspective
25-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Agreed. Bigger clubs than us operate like that - source the player, develop, sell at an inflated price and have the replacement waiting in the wings (either in the youth system or scouted to come in on the cheap).

Porto and Lyon do it brilliantly year on year and there's no shame in it.

As you say, the more money is generated the more we can pick and choose when we sell, allowing us to gradually improve.

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2009, 08:18 AM
We will always sell, its just how we have to operate, but now it seems we are replacing those who go, with replacements who DO have quality, but maybe have lost their way a bit, players who still have something to prove. And this is far better than replacing them with dross, like Brian Kerr and the likes.

Obviously you need a manager who can spot these players, i believe we certainly have that man.:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
25-10-2009, 08:25 AM
It is also possible that we keep players like Stokes, Miller and Zemmama. I find it a bit irritating when posts about a great individual performance is suffixed by 'but he'll probably leave in the window'...

I for one am looking forward to Zemmama's testimonial season in 2019/2020:agree:

Aldo
25-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Look at Wotherspoon..he was at smellic for years but wasnt getting the chances and moved to Hibs because of their policy on youth. For me other youngsters will look at the set up and think to themselves ER is the place to be if you are young, have ability and want to get a game.

Long may this continue.

euro Hibby
25-10-2009, 08:57 AM
agree about not looking too far ahead. The players are with us know and football changes so quickly its best to enjoy the moment. Hibs management learned their lesson some years ago and have adopted a strategy suited to the current problems in football. They can develop this further and I think need to farm out more young players for experience. Scottish football cannot support players costing millions. It can't pay the fees and it can't play the wages because the TV money is just not there. We have a very good opportunity now to have a great season and that is because both on and off the park, we are doing the right things. Lets see where we are end November.

Perspective
25-10-2009, 09:35 AM
It also probably benefits clubs like us that there are transfer windows.

You have a few months knowing what squad you have to work with, it can't be ripped apart week-to-week and when the time comes to sell often values can be inflated because of the deadlines.

NAE NOOKIE
25-10-2009, 09:59 AM
As things stand we need to be looking at who we can sign in January.

Yogi wasn't slow at the start of the season to tell the players he didn't want that it would be best for them to look elsewhere and I would guess that by now he has identified a few more.

I have nothing against Chris Hogg and would'nt put him in the off load bin, but I feel that if we could bring in a quality centre half in Jan we would have an even better chance of sustaining a challenge.

jdships
25-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Look at Wotherspoon..he was at smellic for years but wasnt getting the chances and moved to Hibs because of their policy on youth. For me other youngsters will look at the set up and think to themselves ER is the place to be if you are young, have ability and want to get a game.

Long may this continue.

I posted on this on an earlier thread about a "Murray Park" employee telling me that the OF were finding it increasingly difficult to persuade parents to allow their boys to sign .
This he said was "....almost entirely down to lack of opportunity offered to boys at 18/20 "

Borders Hibby
25-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I posted on this on an earlier thread about a "Murray Park" employee telling me that the OF were finding it increasingly difficult to persuade parents to allow their boys to sign .
This he said was "....almost entirely down to lack of opportunity offered to boys at 18/20 "

After reading the Scotland on Sunday looks like Rankers could learn a thing or two from us!

--------
25-10-2009, 12:40 PM
After reading the Scotland on Sunday looks like Rankers could learn a thing or two from us!

In terms of youth development? Fiscal prudence? Good manners?

ALL of the above? :cool2:

jdships
25-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Think you are spot on- possibly a few other teams too
East Mains equates to money well spent IMO.
Albeit 2nd hand I understand that Hibs have increased their " scouting" staff
In North of Scotland area

:flag:

Borders Hibby
25-10-2009, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=jdships;2217571]Think you are spot on- possibly a few other teams too
East Mains equates to money well spent IMO.
Albeit 2nd hand I understand that Hibs have increased their " scouting" staff
In North of Scotland area

:flag:[/QUOTE

Hibs cut their cloth accordingly and we incurred the pain and some horrible football. Listening to the Hull chairman they have a plan to invest in a training centre and to grow into becoming a premier league team. Lets hope we contnue to steadily grow into a european team!:agree: