PDA

View Full Version : Penalty! / Hibs defence

broonie27
25-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Rangers had four shouts for penalties today and having watched the highlights on Hibernian TV I'd say we were REALLY lucky not to get at least one of them against us. The one where Bamba seemed to give Novo a push in the corner of the 18 yard box looked like a very good shout indeed. Knowing how referees can normally perform at home to the ugly sisters to come away from castle greyskull today without any of these penalties given and indeed the Novo offside goal in the last few minutes chopped off (it was offside, but only marginally) would say to me that we rode our luck a little.

In saying that we played really well and it would have been a crying shame had we lost to a refereeing decision. Maybe, just maybe, Richmond can be forgiven for "that game"?

Oh and by the way. Can we get Bamba out of the back four please. Whilst he's been decent recently he's still prone to exactly the kind of challenge mentioned above that could have ruined the game for us. See also his lunge at Boyd in the six yard box in the second half. Not saying it was a penalty, just that he is prone to committing himself way too early.

Apart from that negativity, "Goan the Hibees", great result :thumbsup:

ronaldo7
25-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Rangers had four shouts for penalties today and having watched the highlights on Hibernian TV I'd say we were REALLY lucky not to get at least one of them against us. The one where Bamba seemed to give Novo a push in the corner of the 18 yard box looked like a very good shout indeed. Knowing how referees can normally perform at home to the ugly sisters to come away from castle greyskull today without any of these penalties given and indeed the Novo offside goal in the last few minutes chopped off (it was offside, but only marginally) would say to me that we rode our luck a little.

In saying that we played really well and it would have been a crying shame had we lost to a refereeing decision. Maybe, just maybe, Richmond can be forgiven for "that game"?

Oh and by the way. Can we get Bamba out of the back four please. Whilst he's been decent recently he's still prone to exactly the kind of challenge mentioned above that could have ruined the game for us. See also his lunge at Boyd in the six yard box in the second half. Not saying it was a penalty, just that he is prone to committing himself way too early.

And who would take his place:confused:

For me, Big Sol is the man who's keeping it all together back there. Yes he gets caught out sometimes but tell me a central defender who doesn't.

Yogi is working with him and he will get better imo

I also think that McBride is doing a great job in the old role that Sol used to do.

Part/Time Supporter
25-10-2009, 06:39 AM

You must be joking, Bamba is Hibs' best defender by a country mile.

The only defender who should be "out of there" is Wotherspoon, if the opposition are going to play a tall forward against him, because he is pretty weak in the air. The Huns kept pumping balls to the back post because Lafferty was going to win almost all of them against him. Killie did a similar thing last week with Sammon, but fortunately he is so ***** they couldn't take advantage of that. Yogi was implicitly admitting that he got his team wrong with that defensive reshuffle.

BTW none of the Hun shouts were penalties. Well done Charlie Richmond.

:faint:

broonie27
25-10-2009, 07:20 AM
BTW none of the Hun shouts were penalties.

Have you seen any of the match on TV yet?

matty_f
25-10-2009, 07:26 AM
You must be joking, Bamba is Hibs' best defender by a country mile.

The only defender who should be "out of there" is Wotherspoon, if the opposition are going to play a tall forward against him, because he is pretty weak in the air. The Huns kept pumping balls to the back post because Lafferty was going to win almost all of them against him. Killie did a similar thing last week with Sammon, but fortunately he is so ***** they couldn't take advantage of that. Yogi was implicitly admitting that he got his team wrong with that defensive reshuffle.

BTW none of the Hun shouts were penalties. Well done Charlie Richmond.

:faint:

:agree:

Have you seen any of the match on TV yet?

I have, and I agree with PTS.

FWIW, even if Rangers had a stonewall shout for a penalty, I'd be delighted that they were denied it after the blatant cheating from Boyd and McGregor.

broonie27
25-10-2009, 07:42 AM
:agree:
I'd be delighted that they were denied it after the blatant cheating from Boyd and McGregor.

Absolutely. All I'm saying is that generally i.e. every game i've been to/heard/seen at either parkhead or ibrox has resulted in my questioning the referee's balls at those venues. Today Richmond showed balls!

aussie_hibee
25-10-2009, 07:55 AM
bamba was a rock yesterday, absolutely outstanding. I've also said before that i'd like to see hogg at RB. Quite like the pairing of bamba and murray at centre half.

aussie_hibee
25-10-2009, 07:58 AM
and FWIW I watched the game on foxtel IQ, i think it's called sky plus back home and i done plenty of rewinding and don't think any of them were penalties.

broonie27
25-10-2009, 08:03 AM
and FWIW I watched the game on foxtel IQ, i think it's called sky plus back home and i done plenty of rewinding and don't think any of them were penalties.

Do you get many Scottish games on TV in Oz? I live in NZ and we get **** all over here!

RIP
25-10-2009, 08:32 AM
So there rumours are true - Charlie is a Hibby

hibbie02
25-10-2009, 08:38 AM

As was said earlier, who would replace him and who would he replace in our Midfield???? He place at CH for the Ivory Coast and they are none too shabby. He is also highly rated by the EPL players who play for the Ivory Coast.:agree:

Bristolhibby
25-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Not really relating to the penaltys (although I have seen the Novo given esp at Ibrox).

But was saying to my Dad watching the game that Hibs seemed to have luck yesterday.

How many times have we seen crip passes just not come off or a player just missing out on controling the ball then losing posession.

Today we seemed to get all the balls that we would have lost.

Dont know if I am explaining my self properly.

J

--------
25-10-2009, 08:49 AM
As was said earlier, who would replace him and who would he replace in our Midfield???? He place at CH for the Ivory Coast and they are none too shabby. He is also highly rated by the EPL players who play for the Ivory Coast.:agree:

Totally agree with you.

That said, I still find it slightly surreal that we can talk about Sol Bamba the Hibs centre-half as a friend and team-mate of guys like Didier Drogba, and as a player likely to play as first-choice in defence for a very respectable team in the next World Cup. After all, according to the fans of his last club (and our knowledgeable friends over on Keechback) Bamba's nothing but a bombscare....

I've seen extended clips of him playinbg for IC and he doesn't look in any way out of place. IMO if we get Barr in for RB in January and an experienced back-up for Sol when he's away on international duty, we're well sorted. That releases DW to play in midfield, too - always adding to our options. :thumbsup:

hibs0666
25-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Totally agree with you.

That said, I still find it slightly surreal that we can talk about Sol Bamba the Hibs centre-half as a friend and team-mate of guys like Didier Drogba, and as a player likely to play as first-choice in defence for a very respectable team in the next World Cup. After all, according to the fans of his last club (and our knowledgeable friends over on Keechback) Bamba's nothing but a bombscare....

I've seen extended clips of him playinbg for IC and he doesn't look in any way out of place. IMO if we get Barr in for RB in January and an experienced back-up for Sol when he's away on international duty, we're well sorted. That releases DW to play in midfield, too - always adding to our options. :thumbsup:

Barr would play in central defence with Hibs - Hogg is nowhere near dominant enough and is our biggest defensive frailty by far.

Sir David Gray
25-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Barr would play in central defence with Hibs - Hogg is nowhere near dominant enough and is our biggest defensive frailty by far.

:agree: Barr played at centre half under Hughes at Falkirk so I really can't see him being brought to Hibs to play at right back.